Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Need some advice - Minitokyo

Need some advice

Tagged under Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan

page 1 of 1 17 total items

HurtHattori

Linguistics

HurtHattori

Hello, everyone!

I'm about to submit my first wallpaper (I mean the first one that won't make your eyeballs bleed). Here it is (just click to see the full view) :
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4586/hijikata1920120010h.th.jpg

I have two "questions" before submitting it, though :
1- Is it good? Are there too many effects, is it "low-effort", or something ?
2- Is there something missing? I don't know why, but I have the feeling that I should add something, but I can't say what it should be.

I would be very grateful to you if you can help me; if you have any other comment/criticism, feel free to do so! I want to learn and improve myself.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT : Here are the pictures I used
Original scan : Here (I posted the vector not too long ago)
Waves vectored from this scan
Paper texture : Here, found on [url=www.lostandtaken.com]"Lost And Taken"[/url]

vectory french-tribu linguistics-team
Don't beg for it. Earn it. Then it shall be granted to you.

srsn

srsn

anime marathon!

ooh nice! please state or link the original scan as well as your resources...

One thing I think you can do is add more darker shades on the shadows or add more contrast so that the whole wallpaper won't be dull...

but overall I think it's gallery ready!

Signature Image

HurtHattori

Linguistics

HurtHattori

Thanks for your advice; I just edited my message with the links to the the scans and resources used.

Anyone else? Don't be shy, I value your advice a lot :)

oh gosh, that's really good! I loved the colour scheme you picked. I dunno what might be missing =S I'm not familiar with the anime, but you could put a little text of japanese characters on it maybe =P

Horseradish

Horseradish

A-R-T-P-O-P

This is really nice man! I think the right side is kinda empty on the top. Adding waves there too would be nice. And, like Ash has said, it needs more shadings and contrast so that it will be vibrant and all. ^^v I feel that the whole image needs a little "fading-into-the-paper" look. It would be nice also to give it that painted look. Since I can't explain myself clearly, I'll just give you some references so that you'll be able to get some ideas from it:

LINK 1
LINK 2
LINK 3
LINK 4

Signature

josephine12cute

josephine12cute

hot and fresh out the kitchen

This one is very amazing! I can say this one is gallery ready... although it looks dull... I both agree with srsn & Horseradish's advices... with that epic wave and nice BG along with the look of the scan, I would also suggest you to go for a painted look to give it a little traditional feeling...

:))

i think the problem with this one is that the guy in the wp stands out too much...or perhaps the waves + guy are so "clean" but the texture disturbs that...or that the vector (very nicely done) has such clear shading that it's dying for a light source XD

i think this image would look REALLY nice in a scenic wallpaper with him dashing in the moonlight! it's just that the background image and the main one don't go together that well. if you wanna make it seem paper texture-ish, you'd have to make it more "texturized"

but what i'm saying is that it's stuck in between a "picture/paper" like feel and a scenic feel and it doesn't really belong in either category yet, but i can tell it'll look real good if you push it to one of those ends :) hope this helps!

chamber-of-kings katekyo-hitman-reborn wings-lovers

HurtHattori

Linguistics

HurtHattori

I'm very thankful for all those comments, really. All of your ideas are awesome, but I don't have any painting skills nor material (like a tablet or something), so painting would be kind of hard, and I regret it cause I don't know how to get the effects on Horseradish's links or how to bring to life the picture that chocoripeyes' comment made me imagine otherwise.

Nonetheless, I've been messing around with Photoshop last night (you've got to love insomnias : they give you a lot of free time! (and a lot of fatigue, too)) and came up with a V2 :
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7915/hijikata19201200v2.th.jpg

The main change here is that I played with the contrast and added a filter to get some paper-like feel... I'm not too convinced, though.

Maybe the whole "paperish" background is in fact the main problem? I've been thinking about some evening sky, with a bright full moon and a cherry tree branch in the right corner as well as flying cherry petals for a background, which was my second idea for the wallpaper.

I'm still counting on your advice and comments; thanks again! for the first round of what will be a long battle between me and Photoshop (don't misunderstand me : I love Photoshop... I'm just not familiar enough with it).

josephine12cute

josephine12cute

hot and fresh out the kitchen

so chocoripeyes noticed what I didn't mention...

for me, I can sense a huge comparison with waves and the guy... I don't know if the wave's thick lines and the guys clean lines bothers my eyes or maybe its the paper texture that's making me notice it... I just decided not to mention it since I thought it was just me

painting in PS doesn't really need tablets or anything... I have seen many painting tutorials in deviantART and in YouTube that use brushes,gradients, and common PS tools alone...

I'll be mentioning my thoughts this time... for me, I'm not quite fond of the paper texture you put on the guy and the waves... I'm not sure but I guess its because the vectors are crisp/clean/sharp/whatever and it needs to be converted into a painted look... the vector's details aren't that shaded/looks plain and its shapes are easy to decipher since its not that shaded much (really, its hard to explain) so putting it on paper texture can give it a huge gap... its really begging for a painted look and a few more shadings

maybe you can add something to the right side since its a bit empty just by looking at his flowing hair alone

as of this time, all I can suggest is a painted look... if you can't really manage it, why not go for a fully-vectored wall? the vector is nicely-done after all...

srsn

srsn

anime marathon!

Ok my 2 cents since I think some comments are pressuring ya LOL as if I'm not hahaha
your V2 is way better. I have to disagree with some of the comments like removing textures or aiming for painted look. You have your own style and that's that. The texture actually made it look oriental ^^v. you could maybe soften up the picture by removing the texture/ changing opacity. Just add some smaller waves at the sides.

you can submit a textureless and a textured version, if you're unsure of which to submit.

Signature Image

tsuyutsuki

tsuyutsuki

The comeback (?)

Hey Hattori, sorry it took me so long.
Lets see...
As said before, the brush effect may look good and bring some unison to the work, but it's not really needed.
Other than this, the waves could be covering the right upper side too, behind his hair.
One thing that might add a nice touch is to use some kind of patterned frame, like in traditional japanese paintings, so it would look like this. See how there is a different paper on the edges?
But I didn't find it to be dull. The colors are soft and blend together nicely.
For last, I am against writing in wallpapers, but this one could use some well placed kanji. Maybe a poem?
Also, if you need some background material, there are some Bleach scans from a calendar that look very traditional...

Avatar and Signature design by xxKurumi
Signature

its very good but i think having it with a painted texture would suit the hakuoki -samurai feeling we want from a picture form hakuoki and darker colors your work is too bright if you darken it a bit it might be better

?

HurtHattori

Linguistics

HurtHattori

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I don't have the time to work on it right now, but I hope to be able to submit it soon. Don't know exactly what I'll do with him, nor how I'll do it yet, but he will be submitted one day :D.

Thanks again, and don't hesitate if you have any other ideas/suggestions/criticisms.

srsn

srsn

anime marathon!

I can't wait to see it done then :D just do what you want with your wallpaper. In the end it all comes down to what you want and not what others want ^^

Signature Image

HurtHattori

Linguistics

HurtHattori

I know, but I needed some advice, really, because I knew that something was missing and now I have some clues, some paths to explore. :)

It

One got to love the night, is during night that empires fall, that love is born, and that souls are corrupted...Signature

I think it looks perfectttt.
(constructive much, I know ;D)

Perfect samurai vibe to it, "old" texture was a good idea.

Mannnn, this is one of the best wallpapers I've ever seen o_o;

EDIT: Forgot to say...THIS IS ONE HELL OF A HANDSOME LONG-HAIRED BISHIE *___*/

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.