Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Hi. - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 22 total items

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

http://i52.tinypic.com/mkez2e.jpg

^ Copy and Paste that.

I used a few things here and there to get the job done, you probably won't realize it but there's actually 22 layers to the wall despite it being so void of things on the left. I've asked opinions from other people and all I'm missing right now is MT's professional opinion from it's trustworthy community base.

Just to clear things up for some of you, the Q&A below contains questions given by others and you might wanna read them to avoid giving me information that I already know. It not only saves me the feeling and time of repeating myself, but it saves you commenting on things that wouldn't help because I already knew about it.

Q&A
Q: Why is the left side completely void of everything? Black columns on the screen that big looks terrible!
A: Well, that's usually where all my icons are so I voided that whole area so anyone who uses desktop shortcuts can have them there w/o the picture being obstructed. Furthermore if I decorated that part, it'll look so incredibly terrible that even the most degenerate wallpaper created would look better.

Q: Hey darthas, why do you have a giant '>darthas made this<' signature just below the character? It looks stupid and ruins the picture.
A: Because I'm not actually posting the wallpaper with a giant >darthas made this< just below the character.

Q: Hey darthas, the lens flare effect is near the center of the screen right? Don't people erase that and just keep the flare effect? The tiny circles to show where it's facing not only interferes with the name but it makes the wall look poorly edited.
A: I think having a blank spot in an already 'dead zone' is a lot more poorly edited. So therefore I just left some decoration there to spice up an empty area. Kinda like how the karate guys leave cracks on the sides of the bricks that they smash.

Q: Hey darthas, the abstract brush things at the top right kinda ruin the picture for me.. think about removing it?
A: Unless you can give me a replacement of some sort to substitute into that terribly tight area.. no.

Q: Hey darthas, the 'floor' of the image looks like some 5th grade copy-paste thing..
A: I need a work around solution for that, but right now it doesn't look so bad for a draft.

Q: Hey darthas, why is the character's name using Halo font? THIS ISN'T HALO
A: Same reason why people other than Edison are making lightbulbs.

Q: Hey darthas, why is the character glowing abnormally?
A: I tried to emphasize that shining glowing thing that anime characters such as her have around when she transforms. I can reduce the glow but she would look terribly plain and boring.
Q: I think you should remove the glow completely.
A: I think not.

Q: Hey darthas, her eyes look kinda.. fake. Maybe you could tone down whatever you did there?
A: Probably, but the reason I didn't was because if I did.. it wouldn't fit what I intended at all. Being either too dark or the color screws up completely and starts showing me stuff I see when my TV interor gets splashed with water.

Q: Hey darthas, why did you write a Q&A for opinions on a wallpaper? Your blocking people from typing paragraphs to help you.
A: You can type the paragraphs to specify what I didn't, people don't think the same so words and opinions are asserted in a different way per individual. Type out all you have to say anyway and I'll consider it.

Q: Hey darthas, thats a terrible looking piece of work.
A: That's why you're gonna help me improve it.

Q: Hey darthas, there seems to be a giant circle just at the base of the character.. was that something you missed out?
A: No, it's actually part of the glow around her from the brush I used, if it's really that ugly to look at I can try using a different brush with the somewhat same effect.. but I like that circle around her for some reason.
Q: I don't like the circle?
A: Then ask me for another copy when I finish the wall..

Q: Hey darthas, where is the lens flare and why did you put it there?
A: Sincerely? I don't know. At first I figured Lens Flare would help the glow.. but after putting it there I noticed a sort of 3D effect was made with the abstract brush.. almost as if there's a light at the end of some tunnel. That.. was more of a plus and a surprise than anything so I kept it like that.
Q: It's ugly?
A: ...

Q: Line in the middle fails.
A: You fail.

Q: Hey darthas, THE COLORS IN THE THREAD ARE BLINDING MY EYES!111!1ONE!11ELEVEN
A: D:

Q: Hey darthas, the Q&A is too long.
A: You're right.

That's the bottom line of solved problems if anything. Helpful advice is always welcome, unhelpful advice is welcome but only after you dust your feet at the door step.

Brushes used:
Floral Frame brush from -> http://hi.baidu.com/cool%B7%E6/blog/item/f16e7960f59c2dd98db10dfe.html (Not good with Chinese)
Abstract brushes from Blazter -> http://javierzhx.deviantart.com/art/Abstract-08-33782545
Grunge Checkered Brushes from Anodyne -> http://anodyne-stock.deviantart.com/art/Grunge-Checkers-Brush-Set-13784492
Scan from -v
Choujigen Game Neptune#487768

(Rendering that broke my mouse button)

Edit: Updated Link
Edit: Updated Link again. (10h 47mins)
Edit: Updated Tools used for Wall. (10h 50mins)
Edit: Updated Link to remove smoke. (11h 23mins)
Edit: Updated Link to lighten effects. (11h 47 mins)
Edit: Updated Link to smoothen out edges. (23h 15mins)
Edit: Updated Link with Subtle glow, clean up on random spots and eliminated the mobile vegetation. (1d 1h)
Edit: Made a background. (3d 18h)

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

The character is too blurry.
The glow's fine...
Q: Are u too lazy to vector it?

Q: Why the light effect+some fog thing and some sharp thing combined?

The circles aren't bothering,lol....Idk if u see it,but there are some small orange pixel bunches next to her body and glow...

Can't think of anything else yet.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

A: Too blurry huh.. I'll tone down the glow by abit, seems to have fixed the problem when I did that.
A: If you're talking about the top of the picture.. that's from 1 Lens flare. No other effect produced that other than the Lens flare. Reckon I should remove it or tone down the brightness?
I also found the small orange pixels and I removed that too.

> Thanks Mery.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

What about providing the resources you used? That's actually relevant information, when creating a wallpaper you need to credit the brush/textures makers or at least link the scan you used.

The text effect needs to go, is not really necessary and I encourage you to test other fonts or maybe change the text to something else. I think it's a tad redundant to have the character's name listed there. I'd also recommend you to change the resolution of your wallpaper to something, let's say more usable, 1600x1000 px is not the biggest reso possible for that screen format, you have to change it to 1680x1050 px and it won't get distorted.
Maybe you can look to this wallpapers and get inspired:

Listen to my heart by ANST
Listen to my heart by ANST
Inner Universe ~ Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles by Cloudnine
Inner Universe ~ Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles by Cloudnine
100th Wall - Ephemereal Synthesis  by Devildude
100th Wall - Ephemereal Synthesis by Devildude
Fairy Light by Bamb0o-Stick
Fairy Light by Bamb0o-Stick

I think they all show a good use of abstract brushes around a character.

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by FranWhat about providing the resources you used? That's actually relevant information, when creating a wallpaper you need to credit the brush/textures makers or at least link the scan you used.

I'm working on that, you might need to give me some time to dig up all the relevent information because:
- The person who I downloaded most of the brushes from did not have that 1 unique brush with his name on it that most people have.
- Neither did the texture guy
I forgot about the scan part.. guilty.

Quote by FranThe text effect needs to go, is not really necessary and I encourage you to test other fonts or maybe change the text to something else. I think it's a tad redundant to have the character's name listed there.

Fair enough, but the only reason I actually did put it there was because I couldn't figure out anything else to use that would be able to fit properly into the rather large black space on the left. That being said, I figured a neon line and a name would fit. Oh well, I'll figure out something else to put there. I take it that wordings other than the name could be suitable in the worst case scenario that I never do come up with anything right?

Quote by Fran I'd also recommend you to change the resolution of your wallpaper to something, let's say more usable, 1600x1000 px is not the biggest reso possible for that screen format, you have to change it to 1680x1050 px and it won't get distorted.

The resolution that I made it with in photoshop was 1920x1200, I have no idea why it shows up as 1600x1000 or any resolution other than that. Maybe it's a website upload thing but that's as far as an idea that I have regarding that issue, when I look at the .JPG file in my folder, it says 1920x1200 as it should and if set as wallpaper.. fits my 1920x1200 screen. I'll try another website in hopes of fixing the problem.

Thanks for the pointers and samples, I'll work on the wall and post back. Hoping for a reply from you (and others) when I'm done.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

hmmmm well darthas, i really like the picture but i think you might look at either centering it or doing something about the black portion on the left. It seems a little out of place. plus if you look around her knees on the left side you can still see some random lettering... so i would recommend touching that up as well

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Considering most of the issues was with the original image being either too blurry or the effects being too glaring, I've updated everything and did a few tweaks.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

lol a few huh ... it looks like a totally different picture... although i do like that you spread the picture over to the left so as not to leave an empty space
also i notice on her butt it look like it indented.. was that part of the design? personal opinion here but i would lighten up the fog around her legs to so you can see her legs..

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

It's pretty much blocked off by wording there so I had to manually try and shape it, I admit it's pretty odd-looking but it was kind of the smoothest curve that came out of a square. I'll lighten up on the fog a little then, I don't really notice much about the smoke because I had an image of her jumping through smoke.. and usually when that happens, most of it would be at the bottom since she entered from the top. Perhaps I put too much emphasis at the bottom?

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

nice job on her butt.... still might tweak the smoke so not so much of a line at bottom... i think it was fine the other way just needed to be lightened enough so you could make her leg out.... also sorry if im giving you to much little detail things

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Oh believe me, your tiny bits of detailed advice goes a long way. As the person who made the wall (and still has the original copy), despite the minor changes the outward appearance from the bigger point of view has really improved imo. That being said, I'll take this space here and say: Thanks a lot!

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

no problem... i am enjoying this.... helps me to see things as i start my approach to doing these types of things

merged: 03-14-2011 ~ 04:22am
oh ya very nice i like it.. looks really good to me.... just make sure you follow the gudelines... lol dunno y im telling you that... you been on here longer than i..... anyway you might include some resources and reference material on where you got it and that type of stuff

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Haha
Telling me that actually helps. Tbh with you, despite being on MT for some time, I've only chosen to become a member recently after years of excessive (and unadvised) lurking. Even after becoming a member though, reminding does me good. I've included the references, scan and brush info just near the end of the OP. Other than that, nothing else remains as far as relevent information goes.
Once more, thanks for your consistent help with the wall, same to you Fran.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

There are a couple of parts where the extraction looks a bit rough... By her boobs and by her hand (the one by her leg). I would try to smooth out those lines.

Signature Image

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

I rendered the picture on the document again to remove all those rough lines, most notably where you have mentioned and a few above her head. Sharp eyes.. I missed that one out too. Thanks Firefly.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

josephine12cute

josephine12cute

hot and fresh out the kitchen

LOL for the Q&A, at least you don't have to repeat yourself. And you changed the wallpaper! The extraction needs more cleaning, I can see some white/light blue things on the outlines while some don't have it and it seems there is still a part of the original BG on her hair...

There is still things that I find uncomfortable with your wall. Although I don't want to point them out since you mentioned it is a personal wall of yours. So of course, its look will always be up to you.

That's all I can give as of now. Hope I helped.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by josephine12cuteLOL for the Q&A, at least you don't have to repeat yourself. And you changed the wallpaper!

I had a lot more to add to the Q&A but nobody wants to read a 9000 word review. Yea I changed the wall completely because the previous design was meant to be more of a personal thing that I just wanted to move in the Sandbox section, half way through the morning I decided to, at the very least, attempt to try and make something not just for myself. lol

Quote by josephine12cuteThe extraction needs more cleaning, I can see some white/light blue things on the outlines while some don't have it and it seems there is still a part of the original BG on her hair...

I'll work on that, thanks.

Quote by josephine12cuteThere is still things that I find uncomfortable with your wall. Although I don't want to point them out since you mentioned it is a personal wall of yours. So of course, its look will always be up to you.

It's not so much of a personal wall unless you mean it was made personally by myself, then yes. Otherwise, it's meant for the gallery. Despite the look and feel of it being entirely up to myself, certain points of view from everyone matters in the making, if there's something you might find unsuitable you could always just point it out.
The main question at the end of the day is if I choose to mod it in that way or not, would be nice to get your opinion regardless. Nothings perfect after all.

Quote by josephine12cuteThat's all I can give as of now. Hope I helped.

You did, and I want to thank you for taking time to visit the thread and share you opinion. Much appreciated.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

I like it overall. There are a few areas that might be smoothed to eliminate pixelation and make it "crisper" in appearance for use on a larger monitor. I am impressed, as this is your first wallpaper. I certainly won't waste your time repeating the suggestions of others. I'm curious, what version of Photoshop did you use?

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Thanks for the feedback, and I used CS5 Extended for the wall.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

It (CS5EX)has some nice tools, experiment with them and save the best changes as you go. Always make copies, with a new file name, so you can go back to an earlier version. If you are having fun, you're doing it right.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

The picture would get extremely messy if I did so, although I could add an effect similar to a glass shattering to the background on the left... I tried out everything I could possibly could otherwise, and I was having fun, not gonna lie.
Made about 9 different effect templates should I ever need them in the future. lol

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

The ripple effect in the middle clashes when it meets the orange glow due to it being so dark. I'd probably try lightening just that part up, or redirecting your effects a little.

The light burst (faded white) on the upper left of the character doesn't seem to do anything but fill the space. While filling the space is good, lack of space draws attention to your stock, which is a plus also. I'd concentrate more effects on the character and perhaps try for a more abstract background? You don't need to use a floor-like structure for this kind of pose (in fact, it sort of takes away from it in this situation). I'd also use some more colors instead of just white. Even if they seem to clash at first, blending it in will eventually make your wallpaper more interesting.

the glow is very unnecessary imo. I understand that it was to give the feeling of transformation, but just a simple white outline glow doesn't do the job here. Again, color brings out the most in bright effects like this.

that's my 2cents so far. hopefully it'll be more helpful than detrimental.

page 1 of 1 22 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.