Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Minitokyo Review general discussion thread (April) - Minitokyo

Minitokyo Review general discussion thread (April)

Group announcement by Minitokyo-Review

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

This thread is a general discussion thread for Minitokyo Review, for April 2011. Reviewers are feel free to post questions they may have (either on reviews in general or about the group), tell others what they're thinking of reviewing, get suggestions on reviews, even share their latest reviews.
This should make discussions easier to track than posting in the guestbook, plus if your notifications are set up, you'll get pinged when someone posts to this thread (after you've made a post to it, of course.)
I'll try to start a new thread each month so each thread doesn't get too out of hand, but we'll see where we stand in a few weeks ;)
Chatter away!

Also, is anyone interested in IRC chat (besides you, CyanideBlizzard). If so, I'll look into setting up a channel on Rizon so folks can drop by and discuss things real-time.

Well this seems like a dream come true now I don't have to constantly refresh a page as much

"Something beyond comprehension can inspire fear, or awe in people".

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

What a wonderful idea to create a group thread, Tama! This'll be great for keeping us all updated without the group page. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, but I'd forget to check the page sometimes and miss comments.

I've actually got a question for all those in the group. I want to change my reviewing style and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or things that they would like to see in reviews. I want to do something a bit more..unique for my next review.

Also, I'm all for that IRC page! So long as we can get a few more people than just us. I wouldn't want to be the only one on there, because Tama would be constantly harassed by me then.

Signature Image

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Truth be told , I can't be online all the time for one and it'll be easier for me to refer to the notes system instead :X

Anyways , I'm still stickin' to my usual reviewing standards , at least , until I find someway to improve it anyway.
I'm still sticking to my belief that Reviewers and Critics are two different entities and that my job as a former is to give the people an impression of what a product is like and whether they would like it or not.
I just want to make my reviews enjoyable for fans and haters alike.

I don't have any complaints about the demotion of Maple Rose or Shisengumi considering that I haven't seen a single post from shisengumi and only seen one from maple rose

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Since there has been an increase in reviews, I wanted to make mention of another important thing and that's improvement. First and foremost I want everyone to be open-minded about this. With that out of the way, I think (if you can spare the time, that is) it would be wonderful if we could extend this activity to the review section as well in commenting on reviews. As of right now, the second is fairly bleak, as most review comments are on the very minimal side.

It would be great if we could help each other out in offering an helpful suggestions, or your own personal thoughts on aspects of the game/manga/show. This way, we can also bring move livelihood into the sections and perhaps further expand our growth. Maybe even harken back to the times when the review section was at it's peak!

As previously mentioned, if you are unable to do so you will not be punished. I just think this would be a great way for us to see the reactions our reviews bring in while also being able to improve ourselves and our reviews.

Signature Image

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Well said, Cyanide. I think nearly every review comment basically consisted of "I hated/loved this show/game," and it would be nice to see more thought out comments. That said, I rarely think to make comments on reviews mysefl.

As a first time reviewer, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Anything is appreciated.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Holy toledo, I haven't posted this much in a forum in awhile.

As for the suggestions, I'll take an excerpt from the recent MTM issue.

Quote by MTMF: What advice would you give a member who was thinking about writing reviews?
Cy : I'd recommend for them to look over other reviews, preferably ones written by Weskalia and Tama-Neko. While I recommend keeping your own unique flare to it, they have such well written reviews that it makes for a great template. That, or to read this ( http://forum.minitokyo.net/t69855)

Honestly speaking, that's the best possible advice I can offer. To read other reviews and to also get a general understanding of how the reviews function here. I first started it by clicking on "submit a review" and checking out the layout to see how I should structure my review.

Signature Image

Hey Cy do you do any other writing besides reviews?

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Well , generally speaking , I think it's probably nice to go into the plot structure without going into spoilers. Like stating the excellence of the plot twist , judging the originality of the concept , the rate of character progression , the fillers if applicable , stability of plot progression , climatical / anti-climatical points of the plotline , any disappointing areas or areas worth of note without giving out spoilers.

As for the art and music , their not exactly easy to describe. For one , I still can't grasp the fundamentals of explaining something that just sounds good into a review. Well , I suppose I could go into the theme and how fitting the music is , but since I'm no expert in music , I can't say much.

As for artwork , most of the recent Anime tend to share similar standards in Artwork other than stuff like Samurai Girls and Arakawa Under the Bridge and Black Rock Shooter. So if an artwork scheme is too... say... "typical" , I find it pretty difficult to describe the artwork as it's bound to sound monotonous.

As for Presentation and Enjoyability.... well , I tend to stuff the other factors of the Anime / Game / Manga / Visual Novel into this section and the summary of my review. The "other" factors in question are stuff like Romance , Fan Service and stuff like that and I'll include some trivial information if I am able to.

Btw , Fallen , I've used to do some net writing myself , but got kinda bored of I don't know where to post it for others to read :P

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Quote by fallenkazeHey Cy do you do any other writing besides reviews?

I did a fair amount of poetry and short story writing when I was younger and a few years ago. However, I don't do any of it as much anymore, so it's just reviews for me these days!

Z827 : Thanks for that helpful list. That'll be great for any newcomers to follow as well!

merged: 04-07-2011 ~ 11:17pm
EDIT : Good news everyone! Sheqel has done some fantastic fixes to the review section. We can now edit posts and the submission bug has been fixed. However, if you encounter any further problems, please PM me and let me know what the issue is so I can relay it over to the big boss man himself.

Signature Image

Woah Cy's a kitty with glowing eyes and no mouth also I need to find out how to get a pic to fit the specs....

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

And I need to find a decent GIF image or something :X
This one is like.... originally of JPEG format.

Anyways , just wondering , what do you guys mainly review on? I'm moving onto games and Visual Novels since I don't really have any Anime to review on now :X

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

FallenKaze, if you'd like a picture to be cropped and made into an avatar, just send me the link and let me know how you'd like it to be framed and I can help you there. Same with you too, z827.

As for myself, I enjoy an assortment of things. Video games (both PC and console related), anime, manga, tv shows, movies, etc. I generally am reviewing anime right now since I find my opinion with a game varies throughout the play, although this is only in the RPG category that this happens. It's fine if you just review games, z287. Right now, we could use some more game reviews to balance out the section. It's also nice that you, Fallen and Tama have provided a decent amount and with Weskalia doing one on P4, we'll have a great selection of variety.

Signature Image

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

No , I can manage the image issue myself , I already have a stock of images ready since I tend to browse through Forum sites but somehow , I've forgotten entirely about my own avatar up till now :o

As for the reviewing of games , I suppose we can only stick to games released by the Japanese or something , so I guess I'd review some PSP and PS3 games next...
Still , I wonder if I should review Final Fantasy XIII? :X

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

In terms of released games, that is correct.

As for Final Fantasy 13, if you'd like to by all means. I'm curious about how others felt about it too.

Signature Image

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Well , I'm appalled by the storyline structure but I think differently about the gameplay compared to some of the players who had played the game.
Still , I need to replay the game a bit to refresh my memory :P

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Hey, I'm replaying Layton 4 so I can review it... :D
At least this time I remember what some of the answers are. Especially those tricky vocabulary questions. They won't stump me a second time around!

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Ahh.. Mind games , I'm horrible at them.
Though I'm surprisingly effective in in-game thinking in combat , like in games such as Monster Hunter =w=

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

You teach Layton 4 a thing or two, Tama! YOU GO GIRL!

I'm thinking about doing a game review to break up the pace, but I'm not sure if I should or what I should review next, so I'm going to have to work on that for the future.

I also take it by the lack of voices that the IRC channel will most likely be a no go as well?

Signature Image

Yay! I found a thread where you can request avatar pics and signatures

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

So many games , so little time.

I'm still thinking about which PS3 game I should review next. Not that the SRPGs as of late are up to standard anyway =.=

If I had the time I would try to reveiw The World Ends With You, but that game is so time consuming and difficult maybe ill review DMC4 Next month but for now im going to finish that book and review it because I really like deathnote

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

FInal Fantasy XIII review is up... and my head aches trying to remember all the details in the game >.<

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.