Akira Hollywood remake

Is TRAVIS an acceptable replacement for TETSUO ?

Yes.
0 votes
WHY DON'T WE JUST CALL THIS MOVIE DAVE. OR STEVE.
7 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Tsunoh

Tsunoh

runs with cookies

Cancel

Read. http://community.livejournal.com/aramatheydidnt/2022316.html
alternative source for those who don't trust LJs > Rotten Tomatoes Weekly Ketchup

For those too lazy to read, I can pretty much sum it up:

-Tetsuo is going to be renamed to TRAVIS.
-Kaneda and Tetsu-... Travis boy will NOT be played by actors who are Japanese/Chinese/Asian in any way
-that guy from Twilight is shortlisted for T- boy
-this 'Akira' will be set in NEW MANHATTAN. I KID YOU NOT

TLDR sounds like they're... taking a dump on it (attempt at being polite here)

Reactions?
Also, people, let's not hate on each other and try to keep civil. I do not personally dislike any race though I still think this casting call is awful.

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Cancel

Granted, I never watched Akira before, but seriously... what is with the whitewashing? There are plenty of Asian American actors who are perfectly capable of tackling this material. (BTW, loved the LJ blog entry... XD)

Signature Image

Tsunoh

Tsunoh

runs with cookies

Cancel

Tate gave me that link lols.

I have no idea what is the point of the whitewashing, either. It ticks off fans of the series, who should be their target audience in the first place.

Cancel

thats just bull i mean having hollywood making a live acion is strange but ok AS LONG as they do it right i mean not even having an asian in the main role is strange enough but having a chara's renamed is just stupid in any case one more reason for me not to watch the movie thanks for the heads up :-)

Life Hurts?
get masochistic

josephine12cute

josephine12cute

hot and fresh out the kitchen

Cancel

Its not that I'm disliking any race or anything... but I have seen the anime film and I became a fan...
I was happy to know that a remake will be made (and its Hollywood!) but I'm a little disappointed to know that I'll be seeing a whole new story instead... with the change of names, places, etc... its not faithful to the manga... I think its much better to say that this is a movie "based" from Akira

I can say that those actors are amazing... but fans are more on the original Japanese film, and they should be their target... its obvious that they're not suitable for portraying such characters... and even changing the whole concept...

but what do we know? the producers might change their minds... :))

Weskalia

Weskalia

Half robotic cat half desbear

Cancel

After Goku, Tekken, Pokemon and now Akira, what's next? GitS?

I'm believing you and I can do anything. We can change the world.
Hey, sky's the limit, we can spread wings. Through roadless travel, together we go!
Signature

Tsunoh

Tsunoh

runs with cookies

Cancel

@josephine
I sure hope they know what they're doing. They're already causing a huge fuss with the casting decisions alone, and if it turns out to be a failure on top of that, well... >_> I wonder how it can still be Akira.

@Weskalia
Man... do you really want to know?...
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/spielberg-adapting-ghost-in-the-shell-into-live-action-3d/

IT GETS BETTER. (cue sarcasm; though this is rather old news)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcA9qsf4JDI
> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-02-04/producer/live-action-evangelion-project-still-active

I'm a little more hopeful about EVA, since they'll be working with Weta Workshop (LOTR/Narnia).
But story-wise.... *considers retracting above statement* how does one... turn Eva into live action geez.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

Cancel

oh let's not forget cowboy bebop and other anime to go live action. so far only astroboy broke decent, the rest have all failed in my personal opinion. I am watching it with an open mind and all but somewhere they are seriously screwing these things up. I mean look at the nightmare they did to dragonball, only the cars were cool, the rest, total fail.

hollywood has ran out of ideas so they are heading in this direction, which is a wrong direction, because when they get done with them there's something wrong with them or something :/

Undertaker:Kuroshitsuji: How sad it would be, should laughter disappear.

Signature

Cancel

Nice thread. I'm fed up with the "whitewashing." Seen it a lot in both movies and TV shows. I like the classic Akira the way it is to tell you the truth.. Film makers are trying to make easy $ off of anything by changing things. Nothing wrong with trying to be creative, but why change so much, esp the cast?

Marked by the outsider.Signature Image

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.