Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 what does college feel like? - Minitokyo

what does college feel like?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 23 total items

josephine12cute

josephine12cute

hot and fresh out the kitchen

Hey there!

I just graduated in high school this April 7 and I'm on my new journey right now to college. I'm currently having a vacation for 2 months. I miss my friends right now and I know we're all taking our own paths to college.

For now, they say that college is entirely different from high school. I really don't have any idea... Can you guys tell me your experiences or some "College 101" things that I should be ready of? I want to at least have an idea because I don't have one at all~ I'm getting scared!D:

:))

Aiira

Linguistics

Aiira

SOON..

Well for me since I'm in a different country.
All I can say is
it's like starting elementary.
Since there are a lot of colleges, most of your friends will have different choices and you'll have different courses to take.

If Highschool homework is hard, College is a whole new ladder to climb.
Since my major is business I had to write an essay of the most successful business out there, prominent people behind it etc.
Also most professor are more strict than the other ones.

All I can give you as an advice is
DO YOUR BEST
MAKE NEW FRIENDS

And most importantly
Leave the thoughts that says
(I wish I was still in highschool, cause it will totally throw you off)

College will also take most of your personal time, but in the end it's all worth it ;)

GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE FOR YOU THE BEST ;)

Signature
CHERISH yesterday
DREAM tomorrow
LIVE today

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

good point aiiroprincessnoel it's probably going to be different for everyone, based on their location and the type of college they could be going into, like in my area we have several types, community college and then an actual college itself. it wasn't all that hard, I mean, you now have to pay, unless you get grants and scholarships, some you have to pay back, others you don't. and if you fail you have to pay again. but it can be scary, but you strike me as someone which has no trouble making new friends and getting settled easily. it's not all that hard if you pay attention in class and take good notes. in a community college they can actually prepare you for college, help you with study skills and so forth. and the real deal, four year college (as most are), they get right down to business. hope this helps you some

BuBbLeS!

Signature

tsukoyomi92

tsukoyomi92

Shiroi kokoro

well college is a whole new thing and it's a bit difficult than high school, it will take most of your time but don't worry you will get used to it, all you need to do is to do your best and not to give up. you will meet new people and make new friends. actually it's really enjoyable it's not something to be afraid of, trust me ^^
good luck and do your best ok ^^ !

It feels like you are a kid again except more responsibility. At least that what I know of american college. Personally from my experience I went to a tech college in Australia and people are pretty mature there, we study all the time, everything is pretty technical and skill based, and never have to deal with hooligans.

Be pleasant and fun is the best way to spend time

srsn

srsn

anime marathon!

Since we grew up in the same country, I can say that college is more relaxed than High School. It actually depends on the prof. You'd have more free time/ "free-cut" classes since some profs are lazy and doesn't come to school. You also have the freedom to create your schedule.(That is, if you're in UP, I think other univ here have block sections where they give you your schedule which is fixed).

College and HS have their own pros and cons. If you're not in a block, don't expect to be that very close with your classmates like that of HS unless you really exerted effort to get along with them. Since basically, college is somewhat going your own way thing.

I'd say 3rd year is really a bloody hell and It's a miracle that I've survived.

Some advice I can give you is that:
1. Know the location of the buildings. This way (If you have the freedom to choose your schedule) you'll know how to plan which subjects should come first based on their location.
2. Know who are the terror profs and as much as possible avoid them

Signature Image

Uhm... First of all, congratulations =)

I'm in a private college so, it's not that different that the private high school I was in.
My point of view is that college is so much better than high school ! I met wonderful new friends, it's hard to see my high school friends because we don't have the same timetable (schedule) but we always succeed to see each other once in a month so it's cool =) (and we're texting a lot xD)
College is relaxed, even if the work we have to do is harder than in high school. Personally, I didn't chose my subjects. I chose Modern Letters with minor Letter and that's all. I must go in all courses or I will meet the principal... Hopefully, it's not as strict as it seems xD

So, just have fun as much as you can, because college can be fun, even if it is fun while studying ! Do your best to don't get lost in the buildings, at the beginning, you really need to be early ! XD
Some teachers can be, as always, mean. But consider that you're an adult now so it's important to act like one. A young adult, indeed, but the difference between the student and the teacher isn't as obvious than in high school. You can talk more freely with them but not too much. Just forget the word "shy", it's a burden in college... -__-'

Conclusion : College is hard, of course, but it's a wonderful human experiment. Don't be afraid ;)

I'm ready to bingo

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Congrats josephine!

Hrm... my words of wisdom:

1. Try and make at least one friend in each of your classes... it'll help if you ever need to miss class. Most professors aren't very approachable or they don't get back to you within a reasonable amount of time.

2. Try to take at least one fun (read: not a major course) class each semester. I once took 4 major courses in one semester and it was overwhelming... I almost had a mental breakdown. ^_^;;

3. Research on the professors before registering for classes. You can check and see if there is an online site (like ratemyprofessor.com), or sometimes even the college website will have reviews.

Signature Image

College wasn't troublesome for me, but I remember being scared on the begining.
There was a lot of changes: I went to a new school, didn't knew anyone, had to had good marks to can apply to the university...

But problems solved one by one and I didn't have to care to much about them.
One week later I already knew all the conners of the school: I knew were the classrooms were, the baths, the gym, the teachers room. the bar... I knew the best place on the yard to go if I didn't want to anyone bother me, the place were the students went to do stuff they didn't want the teachers to see and also the place were the best looking guys always gather together during the breaks between classes.
Not knowing anyone also wasn't a problem. Almost all the students of my class had the same subjects so we were much the same people in all classes. Also, on the first day, I meet a great girl in front the door where I would had classes. We were the best friends during those 3 years. Unfortunately we lose contact after that.
About the good marks, I have to admit that I didn't strain myself much more than I usually did during high school. Luckily it was enough to enter the university. But I'm example for no one. You study as much as you can, do always your best!

My advice: Don't worry too much with stuff that didn't happen yet. When the time comes just do your best to deal with the situation ^_^

"BE DIFFERENT, BE YOURSELF
love yourself, kiss a stranger, touch the fire, look at the sunset, feel the wind, taste a tear, enjoy life..."

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Sorry if this doesn't apply to your country but
The biggest shock to me about University is the lecturers will randomly set exams or homework in the middle of the year and how well you do counts towards your final mark. So make sure you find out before hand exactly what you have to do for marks and when for your courses.

If you take extra subjects, I think it's call a Minor in America? Make sure you research them and don't just pick the ones with the coolest name. If you pick something obscure you might end up spending more time on it than the thing you're actually supposed to be studying (Major?).

Don't miss lectures and do homework, especially if it looks hard.

ai-yame

ai-yame

<3 Iridescent <3

Hi Josephine! Congratulations! Welcome to the next stage and not to mention the 'deciding' stage of your life... college life!

I suppose you're also from the Philippines (like me)? ^_~ Now I wonder what college you're going to.

College is good to me, so far, as long as you're loving your chosen course. I mean, for me, I had to shift, because I realized my first course does not direct me to the path I see for my future, and I wasn't enjoying it anymore. After all, college is supposed to be about taking up a course which will direct you to your desired future profession. And so I managed to shift to a different course, thank God; a course that helped me appreciate life even more.

In other words, make sure you'll embrace your course because you'll be together for four years or so (depending on the course). :D Some practicalities -- make some friends in your classes, study hard, conduct a 'mini-research' about related stuff (professors, subject, subject matter). Just face college's ups and downs head-on -- they're bound to make you a stronger person in life. ^_^

<3 It's too early for you to beat me. <3
Signature

I think I made a huge mistake in my previous post... College = University isn't it? Well I misunderstand it with hight school.. LOL...
Well, but my advice is the same... Do your best with the new situation!

"BE DIFFERENT, BE YOURSELF
love yourself, kiss a stranger, touch the fire, look at the sunset, feel the wind, taste a tear, enjoy life..."

College is definitely different from high school. I never had homework until I now. Theres deadlines you have to make, you really can't miss a class, you have keep up with the class. Plus your paying for everything so why would you miss a class. I do like it better then high school. You just go to the class you have that day and go home right after instead of staying in school for 8 hrs. College ends earlier then the public schools. Plus your actually taking classes that are important for you future unlike high school were you take the classes that they tell you are important but you probably never use in the rest of your life. There is also less drama. the only thing I dont like, its kinda hard to see my old friends from high school ever day. Too much studying. But I always find a way to see them. I feel more relaxed in college, until it comes for midterms and finals.

Just focus and don't slack off. College can be hard but it worth it and once you get use to everything it can be fun. Enjoy the experience. And keep in touch with old friends cuz they're going through the same thing. And make new friends. It helps when you get the same class later on and its nice to have someone to talk to in a new environment.

It's tricky. You can easily fall in the trap of laziness. Because you have a lot more freedom and the schedule is a lot more permissive. In that matter, you'll have to be careful and a bit more responsible than before.
Make friends. As many as possible. Because through friends might be the only way you'll hear a class was cancelled for example :)) And try to understand your teachers. Each one has their different rules, a different pace and it will be so much easier if you'll know with whom you have to be careful.
There are so many other things, but I'm afraid it might not apply to you since I'm from another country.

Signature

riyusen

riyusen

Riyusen..

its very hard, i tell you. just think of this, if you can eat three times a day during your high school, then you cant do that anymore with the loads of projects, requirements, etc tha professors would pour you!

"what you see is not what you always get., ..Signature Image

College is more serious than high school.

lilylily09

lilylily09

LILYLILY09

i have just started for study at college. Study at college is so hard and serious. Especially many people like only smart and clover student...so i have to study hard than before

Quote by yellowpanther27College is more serious than high school.

Most defintely. I was thinking the same thing.

Marked by the outsider.Signature Image

Legionary

Legionary

Ramen Loving

College I think can make or break people. A lot of times, especially in communty colleges, kids fresh out of high school come in and think its just like high school: talking in class and not taking things seriously; and why would they? There's no phone calls home or progress reports. There's no detention, etc. You are the only who has your interest in mind and the only one who can do something about it.

You don't pay attention and slack off? You'll just get an F and you just wasted quite a bit of money and time.

Many times class sizes shrink after the first few days. I think kids realize, 'hey! I don't have to be here,' and that's the end of that. =P

Signature
"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me" - MB20

Tertiary education is tough on me since i've been a carefree happy go lucky student during my high school years.

Because of that i'm an irregular student who needs to pass more subjects.

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

There's more independence, therefore LOADS more responsibility. You're not going to have your teachers or your parents breathing down your back about assignments, so you have to be the one to step up and decide if you're going to work on chapter 3 in your college algebra book like you should, or go hang out with your friends like you want. Other than that, though it's not really that different from high school until you really start getting involved in your major.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

Quote by josephine12cuteHey there!

I just graduated in high school this April 7 and I'm on my new journey right now to college. I'm currently having a vacation for 2 months. I miss my friends right now and I know we're all taking our own paths to college.

For now, they say that college is entirely different from high school. I really don't have any idea... Can you guys tell me your experiences or some "College 101" things that I should be ready of? I want to at least have an idea because I don't have one at all~ I'm getting scared!D:

:))

keep an open mind, or at least keep an open mind for a year. don't be too quick to judge people off first/second/third impressions. make as many friends as you can, but make sure you find your own clique. it's okay to be a stupid freshman, in fact i implore that you do so.

caffeine w/ calcium cures any hangover. cheap alcohol tastes better when other people are drinking it with you. sleep is overrated in college, 6 hours a day is fine. try everything, and i do mean everything. study before partying. don't get fat, but don't stay a skinny bastid forever. wednesdays are "box of wine wednesdays", thursdays are "thirsty thursdays", fridays and saturdays is when you unleash your weekend warrior. take sunday as a day of rest/laundry/studying.

and always make your own decisions. meaning: do what's best for you, and not for some for somebody else. sounds cold, but it's part of growing up. have fun in college man, godspeed.

riyusen

riyusen

Riyusen..

college life depends on how you deal with it http://piqosoft.firecreature.com/emo/16.gif

"what you see is not what you always get., ..Signature Image

page 1 of 1 23 total items

Back to School & Work | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.