Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Downloads for non-members - Minitokyo

Downloads for non-members

This thread is closed for posting.

page 2 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 97 total items

stargem

stargem

Not such a good idea I think for non-member downloads, it just means that we are making it lazier when all they need to do is make a profile...
Download limits would be a minimum in my mind but non-member having the same rights as members completely defeats the purpose of having an account on this site at all.
Sure they can't post in forums or receive messages, but how many accounts on this site use that anyway? Especially now that the credit system was removed.

anime-fans-united

YATAAAAAAA.......!
If like this. All my friends who are not members but rather with my work can download them at will

evilxangel

evilxangel

The moon has a dark side too

I think this is a good idea!This way everyone can have more wallpapers,scan and pictures.And I think its also fair for non-members to have a limit because it compensates the ones that had to work to become members~Maybe after they download some of their stuff they will end up as members which is good for the page ^.^

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

The regular traffic of people (account wise) will fall by a good amount, that also means that the sanity of the forum will increase by a small but significant amount.
If you get what I'm saying.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

I think it's a good idea, I suppose this way there won't be so many unused accounts (what with people only registering to download and then never returning again). As for the ripping part, it won't matter who downloads your stuff; signing your work is still the best you can do against having your stuff ripped - that is, aside from not submitting in the first place.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

evilxangel

evilxangel

Yes I get it Darthas, I'm sure more problems will be on the site.But I hope for the best and the creators need to reinforce the rules so everything goes smoothly.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

More problems? You didn't get it then.
There's going to be less problems because the amount of not-very-socially-acceptable people would decrease, therefore the forum wouldn't be as.. odd as it is.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

evilxangel

evilxangel

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh >.< well that good~And a little question how did you get your writting that color I want mine blue but I don't know how jijijijiji

nixhel

nixhel

Far niente ("Doing nothing")

Scan/wall/art thieves will always find ways to leech our work & scans, so I think the limits won't see dramatic improvements in this situation. You can see lots of rips on zerochan. I saw most of my scans uploaded there without my permission. Our uploads are on a public place anyway, so unauthorized redistribution will always exist. We have to be realistic about that. Many thanks to the MT staff for working on improvements though (^_^)

Signature
	ImageƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Gigni de nihilo nihilum, in nihilum nil posse reverti Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ From nothing nothing can come, into nothing nothing can return Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

ArtificialRaindrop

ArtificialRaindrop

We're All Mad Here.

Quote by alenasI've also had my stuff ripped so this is a good idea, yes. Also, maybe putting some kind of limit to downloads wouldn't be such a bad idea like for example not allowing them to download more than 15/20/x number of wallpapers/scans a day? Otherwise we'll have way too many leechers. :(

I COMPLETELY agree with Alenas on this. But I see that Sheq has already implemented a limit, so yay.

And to the people complaining about the people who have been ripped...

Quote by sladurskaTo the people saying you were ripped..
You do realize how easy it is for someone to register and download your stuff again, so I don't really see how this option actually will keep your uploads safe from ripping >w>;

Most of us have been on the web long enough that we are quite aware that ripping is inevitable if you post something on the net, regardless of where it is. That doesn't mean we want to give them free hand-outs. It's not a matter of keeping them completely safe, it's a matter of making the creeps stealing our stuff have to work harder. And yes, I know that it takes all of 5 minutes to make an account here and start ripping, but it's the principle of the matter; and it still deters the mass number of people that are too lazy to make an account here.

Quote by neodraconumso what happens when someone hotlinks a couple of scans into their own website?

Considering how many people are already hotlinking the static images of my wallpapers here (the thumbnails we use in gallery submissions), I expect this will naturally occur on a large scale.

I have to say, in the years that I have been here this is the only time where I completely disagree with the change. It's not even a matter of ripping; we've had decrease in the overall participation on the site, and now what reason do people really have to? Other than the forums, what advantages DO we have as members now? This is a scan and art community, now without the need to be a community. :\ I won't carry on whining about it because it's ultimately Sheq's site and if it bothers me or anyone else we can leave, I'm just not really following the reason for this particular change.

And it's a little late for this now, but it would have been nice if the default for the "sharing" option had been MEMBERS ONLY rather than making us turn it on, considering the nature of this change.

......And yet again I have a massive post. o_O

Signature ImageYou can't live without the fire, it's the heat that makes you strong ~ Within Temptation, "Iron"
KHDownloads <-- Butterfly Chaser referred!

Tina18

Tina18

The view of these stars

This is good for them lazy people.

Rizacaga: Tina, Tina tell Sungmin to get Kyu's pants for me pleaseee.
My milkshake brings Saber to my bathtub.

Sheqel

Administrator

Sheqel

Quote by alenasI've also had my stuff ripped so this is a good idea, yes. Also, maybe putting some kind of limit to downloads wouldn't be such a bad idea like for example not allowing them to download more than 15/20/x number of wallpapers/scans a day? Otherwise we'll have way too many leechers. :(

Do the quantity of leechers affect your experience on Minitokyo in any way?

Quote by ArtificialRaindrop

I COMPLETELY agree with Alenas on this. But I see that Sheq has already implemented a limit, so yay.

And to the people complaining about the people who have been ripped...

Quote by sladurskaTo the people saying you were ripped..
You do realize how easy it is for someone to register and download your stuff again, so I don't really see how this option actually will keep your uploads safe from ripping >w>;

Most of us have been on the web long enough that we are quite aware that ripping is inevitable if you post something on the net, regardless of where it is. That doesn't mean we want to give them free hand-outs. It's not a matter of keeping them completely safe, it's a matter of making the creeps stealing our stuff have to work harder. And yes, I know that it takes all of 5 minutes to make an account here and start ripping, but it's the principle of the matter; and it still deters the mass number of people that are too lazy to make an account here.

Since we're taking the liberty of making assumptions here, I'm gonna make one too by saying that those too lazy to register an account would be too lazy to bother resubmitting the stuff somewhere else or make their own website.

Quote:

Quote by neodraconumso what happens when someone hotlinks a couple of scans into their own website?

Considering how many people are already hotlinking the static images of my wallpapers here (the thumbnails we use in gallery submissions), I expect this will naturally occur on a large scale.
I have to say, in the years that I have been here this is the only time where I completely disagree with the change. It's not even a matter of ripping; we've had decrease in the overall participation on the site, and now what reason do people really have to? Other than the forums, what advantages DO we have as members now? This is a scan and art community, now without the need to be a community. :\ I won't carry on whining about it because it's ultimately Sheq's site and if it bothers me or anyone else we can leave, I'm just not really following the reason for this particular change.

You still have to be a member to share you own walls or scans, leave comments on them, participate in the forums, make friends and join groups, create an identity on the site and download the works of members who wish to enable the aforementioned option.
The reason is that (like the previous change) I don't want forced participation to be driving force of the community. Look at Youtube for example, they do not require people to register an account to view most videos and its not an inactive community by any means.

In the end, the whole point of this thread was to announce that this is an optional thing, just tick that checkbox and nothing will change for you personally. :3

In my opinion, this update wasnt that all suprising, alot of other image sharing sites are free and dont need profile creation to acess them but I would prefer people to still create Profiles and contribute to the site with their creations or even scans they can find around that arent submitted here...

Unlike AnimePaper, this site allows people to download content withouth worrying about having an account or not...either way, I would still like others to contribute to this site, after all, its easy to take, but giving is also vital

On the other hand, if they do want to share their scans they will do so by creating profiles...*shrugs* Its indifferent to me, I already made my account and I plan on login in to it even if to download stuff, the login isnt necessary...

By the way, is there any kind of limit to how many Wallpapers, Scans & Indy Art they can download?
For example, I believe in ZeroChan, there is a limit (10 pictures or something like that) or is there no such thing as "limit"?

ArtificialRaindrop

ArtificialRaindrop

We're All Mad Here.

@Shequel: Fair enough. And it actually does make me feel better hearing it put like that from The Man himself :)

And I was actually wondering about this before the whole "sharing" issue came up: what happened to the option for deleting our own submissions? I thought we used to have that, but I'm not finding it anywhere. I had a few older indy-arts I was thinking about giving the axe, and I can't make them go away :O

Signature ImageYou can't live without the fire, it's the heat that makes you strong ~ Within Temptation, "Iron"
KHDownloads <-- Butterfly Chaser referred!

popoluska

Scanner

popoluska

Artbook addict!

Nice addition imho. But anyways saying "I dont like to see my scans ripped aka stolen" to other sides is dumb. Posting on the internet youre freely sharing youre stuff. I dont care of ppl reupload my selfscanned material. Ofc unless its on sites iam regged and contributing there too (like animepaper for example). But such thing I would ofc notice and right away report. But so far ppl were respecting my conditions I always post with the scans iam submitting. If they are put on sites same as this and Iam not a user of that site then w/e I cant and dont have any influence in that.

Minitokyo's selfscanner addict ! ^_^

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

MT Age: 50 Dog Years

lol @Tina18. That's quite concise and true I guess. Sometimes I like snooping around MT offline, just 'cos I'm lasy to log in >_<

@Pande, ArtificialRaindrop + any comments bout ripping:
It's the truth that nearly anything that catches the eye in MT will be ripped - signatures or no signatures. It only affects whether or not people can tell who's the real artist.. The previous system with members-only downloads with a limit of free ones, and the rest credit-paid; I liked the members' privilege if only because it felt like I was sharing with the community and not leaving it to be picked up just by anyone. Plus with the limit and credits, i personally hesitated to just download everything. The only problem was that i ended up not downloading at all for a long long time

The main good thing about the new system is that it encourages having members who actually want to participate rather than here just to get a few scans and leave and steal space and usernames that others might have like to use D:. On the other hand, it still is quite possible to have people join just for that. :shrugs: I can't personally think of a better way to stop that from happening - unless MT decides to be all strict and give levels which must be passed in order to stay a member and blah. Now, that wouldn't be as fun and as easygoing, would it? I quite like MT as the happy, lively community it is, rather than the one where there were spam threads where only friends were accepted and everyone else trolled out lol, and many were scared of stepping on the mods' toes.. lol could have just been me though.

@ArtificialRaindrop: I believe the option to delete submissions was limited to mods because there were cases where at the spur of the moment/by mistake, people deleted big chunks of their gallery, only to regret it and run clamouring for the nearest mod to restore them. :S Hence, the restrictions for deleting..

@FlyAwayGrenade: I think ZeroChan, like E-Shuushuu, has no limits for downloads - I never ran up against one when I was there. And people appear to join simply to comment, fave and upload stuff...

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

even though I don't supply uploads to the site, I don't like this idea. since the site is a ghost town most times now as it is, and you don't even have to be logged in/a member to read reviews only comment. however you don't need the full picture if you're going to use it on a website or something, so you've always been able to view an image. but I suppose that's how it goes, suppose there will always be loyal members and I hope it doesn't kill the site even further.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

This is such a good idea but seems a bit too good to be true! Someone pinch me! Yay, so now even if the site LOGS ME OUT (STILL DOES), I can download! YAY! BANZAI!

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by angelxxuan I hope it doesn't kill the site even further.

It will, but in a good way.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

Darth may have a logical point in all this.

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

MT Age: 50 Dog Years

@Darth: Do you mean, in the fact that it will 'kill off' having too many inactive users? ^_^; just curious.

I think we'll just have to wait and see how this goes on. Obviously there are a lot of changes going on in MT.. Our loyalty may be tested lol.

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Piracy is far too common these days. No matter where you go or what you do, there is some branch of it on the internet. Anytime you personalize something and share it with someone else, online or off, you run the risk of someone else stealing your work in some form or another. The only true way you can prevent this is to copyright your work, or simply not share it.

Will this increase rippers? Maybe, maybe not. Personally speaking, I'm not terribly fond of a free pass either, but the fact cannot be denied that it takes literally no time to register. If someone wants to rip something, they are going to find a way no matter how complex the security is or how watermarked it is. If someone wants to do it, they will find a way to do it. If anything, this'll kill a lot of unnecessary registrations and instead focus more on growth of those that want to be a part of the community instead of those that just want to leech.

Quote by aozoraskiesI think we'll just have to wait and see how this goes on. Obviously there are a lot of changes going on in MT.. Our loyalty may be tested lol.

Change itself is inevitable. Nothing in life remains a constant, and things in life are forced to adapt along with it. This is one of those things. I'd hope that if ones loyalty was being tested, they would talk to us about it so that we could do something to rectify the situation.

Signature Image

looker

looker

living of experiences

about poeple registering exclusively to download wallpapers and stuff like that, that's something that cannot be helped, i mean, how can we stop people from signing in only to download? obviously it is always good to offer MT's members means to feel safer and happier with their decisions.

regarding unnecessary registrations, now that it is possible to download pictures without even being a member, well i'll share my viewpoint. MT's active members will decrease a lot (adding the credits removal, which i think it will turn out to be the most porblematic change of all for those who just used to posted in this site to bo able to download), there will be fewer registrations and therefore fewer interactions in threads...

hopefully this site will continue on :)

Cheers

Power is useless when you love no one, because you haven't got anyone to protect

Well, that's a good news! Thank you :3.

Signature
	Imagehttp://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l630/derederedesu/Signatures%20desu/Primulaminitokyosignature.gif[/sigimg]

page 2 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 97 total items

Back to News | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.