Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Downloads for non-members - Minitokyo

Downloads for non-members

This thread is closed for posting.

page 3 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 97 total items

AnimeRoxz

AnimeRoxz

Lazy Idiot

Uhm... well if people just randomly registering for the sake of downloading is a problem, how about we use like....you know, get them to have certain achievements before they can actually have limitless downloads? Or we limit their downloads by their achievement tiers. Like let's say you need to have level 2 achievement for either any category (forums, comments - hey people do randomly comment for the sake of credits in the past anyway) to have limitless amount of access to indy arts/scans, or level 2 to be able to have a 100 downloads per day? Just a thought though =S cause at least they're working to get something and having non-members and non-contributing members to have the same download limit might help? O_O

Subject's laziness and idiocy applies to all fields in life when not in any non-lazy or non-idiotic mood-eg: I'm sleepy, I will not type. Subject has also acquired the definition of "Ball of Sound".
Signature

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

MT Age: 50 Dog Years

I kinda feel that we are taking this subject a bit too deep maybe... I think I am. ^^;

It really doesn't make a difference in the long run, on how scans and art may get ripped. As CyanideBlizzard has said, people will find ways, loopholes to get what they want, and it isn't particularly difficult, members-only downloads or not. Just that this way, we are more likely to get members who actually wanted to be in the community, rather than just to get scans. Maybe not by a lot, but still. I won't be surprised if some new addition is implemented tomorrow, heh heh.

No worries, I always end up back in MT, even when I try to leave. It's the boomerang effect lol. I think most 'old' members who have made attachments, connections to the community will stay on in my opinion..
I did feel slightly cheated to see the galleries all open for non-member downloads initially, but the new button fixed that. :)

@looker: I think you've hit a slight slippery slope in your prediction, but yeah, I think it's not a totally bad thing if people don't post just to get credits for the next download.. Reduces some unnecessary traffic in my opinion. :3 Comments are nice, and I like to hear opinions rather than just seeing the fave count rise, but sometimes it's a bit tiresome to look at a long list of comments just saying "thanx for sharing." and nothing more. ^^;

I'm sure the site will go on! Seems to me that the threads are going strong. Especially with the Achievements system.. I only wonder how new members will be motivated to join, is all. But I digress, going out of topic here.

EDIT: @AnimeRoxz: Cool idea though this might go against one of the purposes of removing the credits in the first place.. Then again, since it seems that somehow Sheqel has found new techie ways to figure out what tags/posts/views are valid or not, this could work with the leveling system. That would be interesting. :)

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

tortillalady

tortillalady

Why yes, I am a bastard!

thanks for the info!

Tens

Tens

Gradient Abuser

Maybe some anons will be: "Oh hey, MT is a pretty cool place. They don't require you to register to dl art."

Then they will register and feel compelled to contribute back to the community by making quality art! Urf urf urf.

Mayuuki

Linguistics

Mayuuki

(ノ^ヮ^)ノ*:・゚✧

At the beginning I was afraid, but now I'm think that it's a great idea. It will bring more people to the site, specially the lazy people that Tina-chan said, and the download limit is necessary for the people be motivaded to create a account and know the site better.
I'm afraid about ripping too, but it's a risk that we'll always have... U.

linguistics-teamtag-liciousvampire-knight

Its the internet.. you are going to have your stuff ripped in one way or another.. even enabling a filter blocking out non-members.

Best to just leave your mark on your works..

Signature
You best be fearin' the ears baby.

Indriani

Indriani

Breezie

Quote by SheqelActually, there is a limit of 5 maximum downloads for non-members.

There has always been a very persistent belief amongst members that requiring people to register an account to download full wallpapers would somehow prevent ripping. On the contrary however, the ripper would simply have to register that account to be able to download anyway, which is not gonna stop many of them. This has always been the case from the very beginning of Minitokyo.

ergo: putting something on the internet in the hopes it won't be redistributed without your consent will always result in dissapointment.

I see the news is finally spread in a new thread since I last confirmed it about seven days ago =)
Thanks for the effort ^^

Honestly speaking, I like the optional implementation and the limit of 5 free downloads for non-members.
And no, it's not because I'm afraid of the so-called ripping case. Publishing our works online does have its risk.
The foremost reason why I started wallpapering is because I do want to share it publicly. I'm aware of it.
I even noticed some locals use my work without my permission but I didn't really feel offended. It is after all, not 100% mine.
The scans originally belong to their respective owners and also copyrighted. I only use those scans to make wallpapers on my own consent that I'm not getting paid nor hoping to be as well. It is all for fun.

Different cases if we are doing original arts that solely belong to us without any elements adopted directly from a specific source.
If we are afraid of being ripped, simply don't publish them in full resolutions.
There's no absolute guarantee to avoid being ripped but at least we have the right to try and protect our works.
If we are aware of the upcoming risk and still insist on publishing them online, let's brace ourselves for both being appreciated and abused.

As in attempt to press down the lurking members, nothing much could be done.
If any, perhaps future rewards of those achievement levels might aid us.
I'll trust this matter to the appropriate parties and will be waiting for further information.

Wow.. I rambled too much.. (My longest post in MT lol)
Sorry if I offended any of you. I'm just trying to share my thoughts without any ill motive >.<"

Good day,
-Indriani-

Live on your own but never stay in an ivory tower.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by Tens
Then they will register and feel compelled to contribute back to the community by making quality art! Urf urf urf.

This thought shouldn't even cross your mind.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

As I have read, I think members have mainly two concerns: ripping and a possible decrease on the activity on the site.
I don't think I'm going to refer to the ripping issue because there were already quite a lot of posts about that.

Does this really affect the activity in the site? I'm not that sure.
What is an active member? Someone who just downloads definitely can't be considered as an active member, that's a plain leecher. An active member is someone who's willing to contribute in some way to the site. Downloads are important but they don't mantain the site alive.

Maybe MT will die the day anime stops being popular around people. I can say I came here because I wanted artwork from certain series and I stayed because I loved the community. Now, I don't watch anime, so yeah.
I still see members submitting their wallpapers, making indy art, vectoring, scanning and I see that the forum is pretty active too.
Also since the achievement system was implemented, I can certainly say that there's more activity in the site, especially in the tag admin thread, and that's definitely not the most popular thread around.

Though in comparison to other years, yeah, I think it's safe to say that people are not as active as they used to be but I don't think that this is affecting MT only. Other communities are on the same boat imho.

The point of this is to reduce forced participation, you're registering in an anime-related to pretty much have fun, why would you have to be forced to contribute when you don't want to...

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

popoluska

Scanner

popoluska

Artbook addict!

Quote by Fran
What is an active member? Someone who just downloads definitely can't be considered as an active member, that's a plain leecher. An active member is someone who's willing to contribute in some way to the site. Downloads are important but they don't mantain the site alive.

Pretty sums it up... Yep I agree.

Minitokyo's selfscanner addict ! ^_^

looker

looker

living of experiences

@aozoraskies: you're absolutely right, having a second thought about it, only people who really cares about MT will remain active and those non-senseless postes that some users posted only to get what really matters to them will finish (yeah, there will always be stupid guys who like to post stupid things only to annoy us, but who gives a damn? those postes are sure to decrease a lot, if there actualy were that many postes) this will enrich the threads not only in information but also in it's environment (i hope i'm allowed to use the word environmente like this xD) and i'm preety sure that the remaining active members will be lots of us :)

Cheers :)

Power is useless when you love no one, because you haven't got anyone to protect

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Well , how 'bout this?

Members , when they download their images , they get the top-most quality , the highest resolution and the best of all quality as uploaded by the artist in question!
Whilst non-members have to download images at low-resolution with a Minitokyo label plastered over it.
Maybe we should take a leaf outta DeviantArt's book or something.

heart-sky

heart-sky

no one live for ever ^^

indeed maybe that's good and 5 downloads it is good number too

however we can agree to let them make download or not ^__^

thanks for info ^__^

Be smiling always .... And forget your sorrows .... Do not care about the pain ... There is a beautiful tomorrow waiting for you

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

@looker: Yay. :likes the 'us' in 'remaining active members': XDD.

Quote by z827Well , how 'bout this?

Members , when they download their images , they get the top-most quality , the highest resolution and the best of all quality as uploaded by the artist in question!
Whilst non-members have to download images at low-resolution with a Minitokyo label plastered over it.
Maybe we should take a leaf outta DeviantArt's book or something.

@z827:
lol, that's an evil idea. I like it. XDD
I think we had a time where non-members could download walls and scans freely, but they were all smaller resolutions.. I liked it if only because I could use them to preview stuff before deciding whether or not to use credits for 'em. lol
The only problem with your idea is that it might encourage 'forced participation', as Fran states it, because we'll have people joining just to get downloads again, and being all deadly silent.
I say we do low-resolutions for non-members and everyone zips so that they don't know what they're missing. :x XD

Quote by Fran... Downloads are important but they don't mantain the site alive.

....I still see members submitting their wallpapers, making indy art, vectoring, scanning and I see that the forum is pretty active too.
Also since the achievement system was implemented, I can certainly say that there's more activity in the site, especially in the tag admin thread, and that's definitely not the most popular thread around.

...Though in comparison to other years, yeah, I think it's safe to say that people are not as active as they used to be but I don't think that this is affecting MT only. Other communities are on the same boat imho.

... The point of this is to reduce forced participation, you're registering in an anime-related to pretty much have fun, why would you have to be forced to contribute when you don't want to...

Good points made. :) I personally don't download as much as compared to when I first joined.. I think this is the case of the older members who are still active, but I'm not really sure lol.

And yeah, I really hope the achievement system will be embraced by all of MT members. I thought the burst of activity in the tag admin thread was a headache for MT tag staff though :x lol I guess the main reason communities get less active is that the original 'early generations' get older and have to deal with more stuff in RL; which means we need new blood, and we need a system like the achievements, to get them on the track for 'helpful' activity. Er, am I right or am I jumping to conclusions?

Also,

Quote by FranNow, I don't watch anime, so yeah.

Lol, what?

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

irix

irix

quam sidera multa, cum tacet nox

I'm agree... my principles as leecher said that! XD

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by Fran
I still see members submitting their wallpapers, making indy art, vectoring, scanning and I see that the forum is pretty active too.

So.. with consideration that such 'dead' threads had gotten more traffic in them due to the achievement system.. the option to sign up and see the forum has been reduced? It would make more sense that you would want to encourage people signing up so they notice these features and make them second guess their decision to stay here.
Did I fit a plug into a different socket? If so, please say something.

Quote by FranThough in comparison to other years, yeah, I think it's safe to say that people are not as active as they used to be but I don't think that this is affecting MT only. Other communities are on the same boat imho.

Considering the possibility that everything dies over time doesn't mean registration should be removed for the benefit of leeching. Leechers will continue to leech no matter what, and capping downloads at 5 doesn't make very much of a difference because they're better off registering anyway. Giving people half of what they want seems more cruel than giving them none. (I missed a hit on the nail somewhere..)

Quote by FranThe point of this is to reduce forced participation, you're registering in an anime-related to pretty much have fun, why would you have to be forced to contribute when you don't want to...

Calling it forcing is a tad bit off the cliff. Just telling someone to sign up isn't forcing them. Forcing implies some sort of ability to push or constrain.. in which registering isn't doing. If they really want something, they just have to register, it's not a rule only we're presenting to others so I fail to see how that's forcing anyone firstly because it's a norm in most cases and second being that it takes roughly 5 mins and it's not like MT floods their inbox.

If you're on the topic of forcing contribution to the forum, then maybe it would make more sense to me if you're talking about the credit system but not something like this. It's almost like wanting a cool police shirt that they give out to all the cops but the problem is you need to be a cop to get one. In this case if people want a wall made by one of our members.. they should get one after signing up.
They can quit right after or choose to participate, choice is theirs.

Did that make any sense?

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Akaasai

Akaasai

Megane Eh?

This is a good for the all...... member's got speciality than non-member's....

Hardcore Gamers,Hardcore Otaku,Hardcore Ecchi!

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

@darthas: Your post kind of makes me wonder about something. I know that when the achievements system popped into life, it made a lot of current members happy, especially the long-time ones. But I wonder what newly-initiated members would think of it? Also.. are these update threads routed to the new members' notifs? Because the site's policy IS kind of outdated. ^^; I think it would be cool if someone made a thread listing all the current privileges and achievements members can get, and link to the rules in the policy - and make this thread's link show up when people register. ^__^ That way, people know what joy and/or pain they're getting into. :)

More concerning darthas' comment.. I think the 5 download limit thing is sort of a give-the-members-a-privilege thing..? And true, there still will be people who will join to leech but well... I joined initially to lurk and leech too. ^__^; But as I got to know MT better, I became more active. Sort of.
So I can see what you mean by wanting to give new members the choice to participate or just lurk.. But I think MT is trying to encourage good participation. Hence this + achievements?

I'm hoping that giving downloads to non-members at all will help 'filter' the potential members so that the ones who will join are more likely to want want to join, not just like "meh... I will join for that scan then leave." ...True, not the most efficient of filters... Maybe it'll work, if non-members got low resolutions with the trademark thing? Do you have a suggestion as to how to handle this, darthas? :3

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Mmm... Well , I suppose that makes sense.
Well , it's kinda troubling to realise that half of the activity in this site is incurred by spammers though T_T
Anyways , I suppose we should really think of a system where the actual "active" members in question would have a certain form of privilege or exclusive system within this site.
Anyways , when I've first joined MT , I was wary , extremely so since I've joined plenty of unfriendly and ice-cold forums before ( Hahahaha , I don't wanna name them ) but the people here are... nice enough if I must say so myself.
Back to the topic , I wonder if there is the possibility of making a system of which artists in this web would make banners or skins or something exclusively to active members or something... Then again , 'tis is probably a bad idea :X

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

@z827:
What gave you the idea that "half of the activity..is incurred by spammers"? :3
I think MT Staff has ideas on the privilege system for active members, maybe, since there are those precious little words down at the bottom of the Achievements page.. Just not yet ready to launch. I think. Pure speculation. Besides it's nice to have some equality, for a while..
"Nice enough"? We can be very, very nice if you like! lol jk jk

We have the MT-Maigetsu which produces er, monthly or so issues where a member whom someone suggested and felt deserved the honors, gets a small article and a banner. This member can be picked out for their contributions to their site, be it walling, submission of many quality scans, reviewing, helping out etc. Is this something like what you meant? :)

Quote by aozoraskies@z827:
What gave you the idea that "half of the activity..is incurred by spammers"?

Alot of the comments in the forums are "spam".. yet stay within the rules of the thread and site.. like when at least two people start to have some sort of conversation in threads that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.. though this is somehow only allowed in the off topic discussions.

Signature

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Lol , true activity is the minority , that's because your hanging out in the "safety zones"
Reviews used to receive plenty of monotonous spam , so did scans , wallpapers and the other images available in this site and some images which are posted are probably spam as well ( No to little description and no tags )
Most groups are good as dead ( Though some activity are revived after the implementation of the Guestbook Note system ) and forums are filled with spam left , right and centre.
You can ask the mods if you want , they have a pretty busy life back then :P

Well , anyways , back on topic , thinking about it , I think it's probably not prudent to simply just reward existing users when we'r not exactly a very well-known site.
I presume publicity comes first , then we take over DeviantArt , then we take over Facebook and Twitter and other social sites then we take over the WORLD!
*ahem*
I was serious about the publicity part though.

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

@xAl-san: Maybe that's because it's the 'off topic' discussions forum? lol but ok, taking it seriously.. I have never participated much in that forum but I always had the impression that it was one of the least 'moderated' forums.. Kinda like the nicer version of the previous 'spam' forum. It's less serious and more like where people can relax and have fun.. I guess? True, they could have kept it to the guestbooks, but it isn't totally against the rules plus I think it's pretty okay if the convo is kept as a side note not the entirety of the post.. Don't think it's spam, really. ^_^;

@z827: You're talking about before the Achievements system and updates. The last I heard, is that after this system came into being, no spams had been found. :3 But yes, I am quite aware of some of the spamming and 'monotonous' comments that cropped up in galleries and reviews... But that was during the credits system when people might comment just to get credits, you know? I can't say with full confidence that it won't just start up again - but here's to hoping!

Also, if you do find scans you can identify/tag - go ahead! :) I don't usually like Ecchi submissions in the Unidentified section much, but if they pass the requirements/standards, I can't complain that they're spam or anything. But I think there isn't one scan here that absolutely can't be tagged.. Unless it features, I don't know, a huge featureless blob. :S Unlikely tho.

Can't do much about groups. :s If you have a valid idea, post a suggestion thread in the forum. :)
Ah publicity - how many times have I mentioned MT on LJ or DA, only to get a "huh?" in return? Okay, not that many but still. Any ideas?
Whoops, going a bit off-topic already.

P.S. If posts like mine going a bit out of topic is what you consider spam, .. sorry? do let me know? ^^;

Aozoraskies: Yeah the off topic forum is that kind of place you just described.. however even conversations that are off topic in a certain thread will be penalized after a certain extent. Some of the threads there have been closed because people are going out of the trail for too long.
I'm not sure if off topic discussion is one of the least moderated forum. It could be.. but my experience there proves otherwise. Like how advertising threads are closed within a day or when several mods and elites participate in alot of the games. Or when my palace thread went from a simple question-answer to an rpg.

Okay maybe not that last one....

Signature

page 3 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 97 total items

Back to News | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.