Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Advice needed for Wallpaper? - Minitokyo

Advice needed for Wallpaper?

Tagged under Cowboy Bebop

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 19 total items

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

"Fate, up against your will."

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/1172/cowboybebopwallpaperj.th.jpg

I posted this, however it was removed; so obviously, there's room for improvement- which I'm more than willing to make. I like a good challenge. ;) So, if anyone could offer some ideas to make this better + fit with submission stipulations? One thing I'm entirely appeased with is the background; should I have left it out, or opted for something more creative?

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

Hi there~ I'm no wallpaper expert but here's some of my opinions.

I really think that you shouldn't put the silhouette of the man there... it is kind of distracting. Then also for the white background, I suggest you add some textures into it or brush, but don't add too much because it might be the one to distract the wallpaper now.

Maybe, also, remove the 'ghost' of the guy in the wallpaper but feel free to experiment with your program and maybe try some new effects for it.

It would be good if you have a theme so you can go around with that theme and think of new ideas~

Good luck!

Signature Image
anime-fans-unitedtag-liciousanti-spammersuserpageskindesigns
Tagging: Visual novels, Gintama

Tina18

Tina18

The view of these stars

Hi.
I think you should let the white parts white, no other layer with the dude on low opacity. The idea for this is pretty nice. The black silhouette is not that bothersome, but the edges or it are really bad, it should be smooth, and actually it looks kinda distorted :O You could remove it completely or re-do it. Also add a signature all wallpapers that don't have one get deleted.

Rizacaga: Tina, Tina tell Sungmin to get Kyu's pants for me pleaseee.
My milkshake brings Saber to my bathtub.

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

Basically yeah, what Tina said covers pretty much everthing. The silhouette is too jagged, how did you do it? It doesn't really look vectored, it seems you grabbed the scan, selected it and filled it.
And yup, please remove the Spike scan in lower oppacity from the background, it seems you added it just to fill space >:

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

Sakura-Dust

Sakura-Dust

puppies that bite

The background pictures and the way you used the texture is simply amazing. Don't change that part.
Indeed the silhouette is very jagged, maybe because of the texture. Fix those edges and remove the blended character from the background. To fill the space I suggest:
1) Typography. No fancy fonts, a few wild west ones maybe and lots of blending.
2) Newspapers with the pictures of characters from the show in them. No big ones, small and articles about them.

Signature

josephine12cute

josephine12cute

hot and fresh out the kitchen

Everything's been said... the silhouette looks jagged and looks distorted or out of perspective. The big Spike on the BG (the one that looks faded) is quite not recommended. Its a candidate for ghosting effect or just a filler for BG. I quite like the idea though. Why not go for a grungy style or anything? And also don't forget your signature...

:))

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Wow, thanks for all of the replies, everyone!

Quote by Tina18Hi.
I think you should let the white parts white, no other layer with the dude on low opacity. The idea for this is pretty nice. The black silhouette is not that bothersome, but the edges or it are really bad, it should be smooth, and actually it looks kinda distorted :O You could remove it completely or re-do it. Also add a signature all wallpapers that don't have one get deleted.

Alright, I'm working on re-doing the edges right now and adding a signature. Thank you for the input. :)

Quote by FranBasically yeah, what Tina said covers pretty much everthing. The silhouette is too jagged, how did you do it? It doesn't really look vectored, it seems you grabbed the scan, selected it and filled it.
And yup, please remove the Spike scan in lower oppacity from the background, it seems you added it just to fill space >:

Alright, I'm removing the filler background; meh, I wasn't too crazy about it in the first place. And I'm fixing the edges of the silhouette- can't have Spike looking all jagged and un-sexy, can I? Thank you for the ideas.

Quote by Sakura-DustThe background pictures and the way you used the texture is simply amazing. Don't change that part.
Indeed the silhouette is very jagged, maybe because of the texture. Fix those edges and remove the blended character from the background. To fill the space I suggest:
1) Typography. No fancy fonts, a few wild west ones maybe and lots of blending.
2) Newspapers with the pictures of characters from the show in them. No big ones, small and articles about them.

Oh, I like the idea of a using wild west theme fonts; I'll go look for a couple and download them. I'l try some experiemental text, and link an updated version in just a bit. I don't think I'll try the complete newspaper idea, however- how about I use paper texture; to match with the torn effects of the central images? And I'm fixing Spike's 'spikes' right now. Get it? Get it? //wherepunsgotodie

Thanks for the help. :)

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

Alright good job on taking advice! :D Don't forget to update your wally here in the sandbox along the way so we can see your progress and maybe offer even more help~ Looking forward to seeing the finished product ^-^

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Quote by duhqueenmokiAlright good job on taking advice! :D Don't forget to update your wally here in the sandbox along the way so we can see your progress and maybe offer even more help~ Looking forward to seeing the finished product ^-^

Thank you. :)

Alright everyone, here's an updated version of the wallpaper:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5562/cowboybebopwallpaper.th.jpg

Any better? Any other details still left to be added and/or removed?

josephine12cute

josephine12cute

Now this looks so much better... I can't quite be sure for the silhouette because I'm currently on my friend's super bright laptop (where things tend to look low quality and jagged). Although I'm still quite bothered with it's perspective. It still looks distorted. Is it really like that? It looks out of proportion. Why not shadows? For some reason, the silhouette seems to pop out of nowhere. I'm not really sure about that though... Maybe it's just me.

(Don't forget your sig next time...)
^_^

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Quote by josephine12cuteNow this looks so much better... I can't quite be sure for the silhouette because I'm currently on my friend's super bright laptop (where things tend to look low quality and jagged). Although I'm still quite bothered with it's perspective. It still looks distorted. Is it really like that? It looks out of proportion. Why not shadows? For some reason, the silhouette seems to pop out of nowhere. I'm not really sure about that though... Maybe it's just me.

^_^

Yes, it's really like that; here's the link to the original vector: HERE

I really love the silhouette; but do you think I should lower the opacity, and make it more shadow-like? Maybe it'll appear less, "I'M HERE" and less obvious?

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

I'm curious on what you're doing to make the silhouette black, because it still looks a tad jagged.
I think a Times New Roman-esque font would suit better. Also, I'd keep the text small, like the one you have at the right side already.

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

MT Age: 50 Dog Years

Mm, I think lowering the opacity (or changing the mode to overlay or something) for the silhouette would be better... And making it less black, maybe more brown/reddish like the colour scheme of the background, but darker? That said, it's a lot less jagged than the previous version. Still has a few jaggy bits though.. Blur/Filter that bit? Could be the blackness that makes it look jaggy though, that happens sometimes too...

I do think the other font beneath the Western-stlye font, contrasts with said Western one a bit much.. Maybe Fran's idea might work?
Just my two cents. I like the concept. :3

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

josephine12cute

josephine12cute

Quote by SolenmSerpent

Quote by josephine12cuteNow this looks so much better... I can't quite be sure for the silhouette because I'm currently on my friend's super bright laptop (where things tend to look low quality and jagged). Although I'm still quite bothered with it's perspective. It still looks distorted. Is it really like that? It looks out of proportion. Why not shadows? For some reason, the silhouette seems to pop out of nowhere. I'm not really sure about that though... Maybe it's just me.

^_^

Yes, it's really like that; here's the link to the original vector: HERE

I really love the silhouette; but do you think I should lower the opacity, and make it more shadow-like? Maybe it'll appear less, "I'M HERE" and less obvious?

I'm wondering why it looks jagged if you used a vector then. But Kitten did once told me that vectors tend to look jagged when they're resized.

Why not try Fran's suggestion on the typo and as well as the lower opacity for the silhouette? I might also suggest that you don't use a total black. srsn told me that total black isn't always working out in some cases. Try to use at least a black shade that is close to total black. I don't know if it would work for this one but I'm thinking it would help give a nice color scheme for the wall.

I'm quite looking forward to this wall already >:D

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions. ; w;

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/601/cowboybebopwallpaperfix.th.jpg

Alright, there's a version with the lines of the silhouette more smoothed out + the shade has been changed to something more reminiscent of the color scheme of the wallpaper. I made the text smaller, more evened out, and the font type- similar to Times New Roman, but with a hint of grunge, "Times New Yorker". Does that tie it in a little better?

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

I personally would like a bit of brown-red on the silhouette. :3 Maybe lower the opacity of this layer? Then make a copy of the silhouette layer, fill with brown-red and change that to overlay? Just my personal opinion. ^_^;

The lines of text here seems a bit too uniform to me now.. Could be just me though.
On the plus side, the silhouette is much smoother now. :D I like where you're going~

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Quote by aozoraskiesI personally would like a bit of brown-red on the silhouette. :3 Maybe lower the opacity of this layer? Then make a copy of the silhouette layer, fill with brown-red and change that to overlay? Just my personal opinion. ^_^;

The lines of text here seems a bit too uniform to me now.. Could be just me though.
On the plus side, the silhouette is much smoother now. :D I like where you're going~

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/601/cowboybebopwallpaperfix.th.jpg

Taking on your suggestion, here's another one with more of a reddish-brown to it, and the text positioned differently.

Thank you. <3

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

I do like it better this way, fits the colour scheme more. :3 I think it'll be accepted in the gallery as it is now. You might want to wait for feedback from the others about the typography though, I think they have better judgement in that than I do. ^_^ Great job!

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Quote by aozoraskiesI do like it better this way, fits the colour scheme more. :3 I think it'll be accepted in the gallery as it is now. You might want to wait for feedback from the others about the typography though, I think they have better judgement in that than I do. ^_^ Great job!

Alright, I'll wait a bit more for some text feedback, but thank you for your suggestions- it really helped; :)

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.