Who is the Worst MAIN Character, in Your Opinion?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

"Fate, up against your will."

Cancel

There are characters we love and characters we hate, but sometimes the lead character falls into the latter category. The entire anime focuses on them, yet they're completely unlikable, weak, or fall into too many characterization stereotypes.

Discuss your least favorite main character.

My pick? Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

Cancel

Me? It's Makoto Itou from School Days.
He's a jerk, really. I can't express how much I hate him.

Signature Image
anime-fans-unitedtag-liciousanti-spammersuserpageskindesigns
Tagging: Visual novels, Gintama

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Cancel

I hate Makoto too but watching...what happens to him at the end makes me happy ^_^

My most hated was that twat from Durararara. Mikado something? He's so weak and pathetic and ugh, I can't relate to him at all and I just couldn't care less about him or his problems.

Cancel

Naruto Uzumaki from Naruto. Yes, I hate him.
I also quite hate Erika Sendo from Fortune Arterial, Amu Hinamori from Shugo Chara, and many others. (because I quite don't like main character, but I do make exceptions sometimes.) Also, if you like the character I said above, feel free to flame me.

Signature
	Imagehttp://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l630/derederedesu/Signatures%20desu/Primulaminitokyosignature.gif[/sigimg]

KazamiHayato

KazamiHayato

全て勇気強さ持つの男

Cancel

Kousaka Kirino from Ore no Imouto Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga nai. She seemed to be 100% tsun but 0% dere. She is like drama queen and hurts Kyousuke a lot. Besides thanks to Kyousuke kindness. Kuroneko still better main character.

Signature Image

• May 20, 2011

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Cancel

Quote by lizziephatomhive5599Naruto Uzumaki from Naruto. Yes, I hate him.
I also quite hate Erika Sendo from Fortune Arterial, Amu Hinamori from Shugo Chara, and many others. (because I quite don't like main character, but I do make exceptions sometimes.) Also, if you like the character I said above, feel free to flame me.

I can't blame you for hating Naruto; I mean, he can get pretty annoying.
Believe it.

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Cancel

I've never been a fan of Himiko from Legend Of Himiko. I personally felt that she never grew to be much more than a whiny girl who lets everyone else do the work.

Also, I have some from video games I don't like, if they count:

Vaan from FF12. While he wasn't particularly bad, he did nothing that made him worthy of being the "main character." He never really was developed or did much of anything.

I might get eaten alive for the next one, but I am not a huge fan of Cloud from FF7. While I thought he was ok through the first half, he went all emo-angst in a way that alienized me rather than making me feel compassion. Though that might not be entirely his fault; the story in general fell in quality then.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

Cancel

worst main character for me is Oboro from the series Basilisk. She was such an idiot! complete waste of space! fine, ok, i agree that she was hot and sexy not to mention completely devoted to her lover but hey! she was the leader of the Iga clan. the least she could have done was to take action like Gennosuke and go to the shogun to stop the fight.

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Lazy af

Cancel

If we're talking about manga, pretty much every main female character from Mayu Shinjo's works. They're all spineless doormats but the one who takes the cake is Kurumi from Haou Airen (took a few good moments of thinking to remember her name), her actions are so illogical and she's so stupid that it makes me ashamed to be of the same gender as the person who came up with her character. Then again, same goes for all the guys of her works as well, since they're all copy/pastings of the same handsome-and-perverted-sex-god stereotype.

As for anime, I haven't watched that many series, but Mythos from Princess Tutu annoyed me to no end because he was useless. Come on, even a duck-girl-turned-human could fight better than him. And I sense some incoming flaming for this, but Zero from Vampire Knight (from the episodes I saw and chapters I read); he's just the token angsty moper and I didn't feel anything for him as a character. Then again, both the manga and anime felt much overrated to me.

Want to help out with tagging? (Of course you do!) See these: Tag admin thread | Guidelines | Tag-licious

Cancel

bobobo in my opinion

• May 25, 2011

Weskalia

Weskalia

Half robotic cat half desbear

Cancel

My picks:

Hijikata from Hakuouki, a complete worthless leader contrast to his history counterpart along with Chizuru and the rest.
Natsuno from Kampfer, some retarded harem leader. Well, every of them is lame.

There's more but I list the ones I hate the most.

I'm believing you and I can do anything. We can change the world.
Hey, sky's the limit, we can spread wings. Through roadless travel, together we go!
Signature

Cancel

Ichigo Kurosaki at times is annoying in Bleach.

Dancerinthedark

Dancerinthedark

Queen of Darkness

Cancel

Asch and Luke in Tales of the abyss,Sasuke in Naruto,Nagisa in Clannad also Tadase in Shugo Chara!

Pass the Heart To All the Friends You care AboutSignature Image

Cancel

I can't really pick one single worse one of them all, but I do greatly agree on Naruto, especially lately...he's had practically NO actual development besides more and more (rushed/forced) power-ups that he barely "masters" or trains with in between battles before getting another one.

Sure, it's understandable that he's an idiot and is socially awkward and all in Part 1, but you'd think he'd get over it bit by bit as the series went on, then 2 1/2 years of training with Jiraiya SHOULD'VE gotten him some much more noticeable development at the start of Shippuuden, both personality and ability-wise, but no, he's still the same (or, if possible, a BIGGER) idiot that he was when he first left with barely ANY real increase in ability besides slight variations in what he's already shown off a thousand times in Part 1. The only thing he really got bigger in is more Kyuubi chakra and Jiraiya pretty much gave up on that after Naruto went 4-tails after Jiraiya unlocked more of the chakra during their training. (You'd think, considering Akatsuki's goals and how they are guys meant to specifically counter bijuu and Jinchuriki abilities, he'd KNOW that simply more Kyuubi chakra wouldn't be enough.)

But then when the enemies actually start coming along, OH CRAP! Naruto is STILL a weak-ass shinobi who Sasuke owned easily (along with Sakura, Sai, and Yamato), so let's shove on him "mastering Sage Mode beyond Jiraiya" in less than a fraction of the time it took Jiraiya to get after he took several YEARS of training (and even more of general experience and ability), and now let's have him start "mastering" Kyuubi's chakra on top of that! In the meantime, we'll STILL saddle him with variations of the same old tricks that he's used before while dumbing down the TRULY strong/smart shinobi just to make him look better!

Ichigo is pretty much the same way in Bleach in terms of Bankai and Hollow Masks.

• May 31, 2011
Cancel

Kota from Elfen Lied is pretty annoying...
convert wav to mp3

• May 31, 2011

Legionary

Legionary

Ramen Loving

Cancel

Naruto might be one of my least favorite main characters, but lol I still do like him...a little.

The problem with him (or the series in general perhaps) is just kinda like whatever else has said: everything comes so easy to him and he grows so ridiculously powerful by leaps and bounds every tiny training session. You almost have to hope against hope now that a battle is ever going to really get hard for him. =P

I mean lets list his abilities, or at least the ones I remember:
-Super healing (from the nine tailed fox)
-Rasengan (a super advanced technique)
-Shadow clone to the nth degree (a super advanced technique)
-Rasen Shuriken (a massively, super advanced custom technique)
-Super Saiyan...lol, I mean Nine tails mode (Jinchuriki ability)
-Sage Mode (a super advanced technique...that seems to have become outdated by his Nine Tails mode)
-Summoning jutsu (the chief toad)
-'Yellow flash' like speed (from Nine tails mode)

It's hard to think of many characters (heck, nations even lol) in the series who can hold a candle to that, besides other super characters like Madara and Sasuke....

Signature
"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me" - MB20

Cancel

Quote by LegionaryNaruto might be one of my least favorite main characters, but lol I still do like him...a little.

The problem with him (or the series in general perhaps) is just kinda like whatever else has said: everything comes so easy to him and he grows so ridiculously powerful by leaps and bounds every tiny training session. You almost have to hope against hope now that a battle is ever going to really get hard for him. =P

-Sage Mode (a super advanced technique...that seems to have become outdated by his Nine Tails mode)

It's hard to think of many characters (heck, nations even lol) in the series who can hold a candle to that, besides other super characters like Madara and Sasuke....

Yeah, and Naruto/Sasuke/etc constantly keep making the more truly powerful and/or experienced shinobi (who worked their asses off their whole lives to get to where they were with NO such shortcuts available to them a majority of the time outside of possibly Kekkei Genkai, but even those require more training to REALLY master) look more and more weak in comparison. Especially when Naruto/Sasuke/etc beat enemies so "easily" that takes those other ones nearly every ounce of ability JUST to stand toe to toe with. I mean, ones that were up there like Orochimaru, Minato, and Itachi were considered prodigies that appeared rarely once a generation or something...now that just seems so...irrelevant...

Like Kakuzu was easily taking on Team 10 and Team 7 by himself, including Kakashi and Yamato, both among some of the strongest shinobi Konoha has (presently and before), but even they were being kept at bay by Kakuzu's power and experience. Then Naruto comes along and single-handedly beats him with the Rasenshuriken by way of the cliche moment-of-stupidity scenario that he suspiciously NEVER had against others.

"Heart", "never giving up", "guts", etc can only take you so far by themselves. Otherwise, Lee should be the strongest shinobi of all, even with just Taijutsu and being able to use all 8 Gates easily without fear of death and all that stuff, lol.

• Jul 07, 2011

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Cancel

Quote by LegionaryNaruto might be one of my least favorite main characters, but lol I still do like him...a little.

You're right- after a while, everyone gets freakishly strong, and overcomes every obstacle (and before you know it, they're knocking craters into the Earth and defying the laws of science)- which isn't horrible, but it becomes terribly predictable and uninteresting after a while.

However, the one quality about Naruto is dislike the most is that despite the fact that I think he's very annoying, for some reason he manages to relate to every character, see past their broken, evil exterior, and make them see the brighter side of life + teaches them to never give up on their dreams.

The only thing missing from that experience is a 30 minute friendship speech.

Legionary

Legionary

Ramen Loving

Cancel

^ Actually now that you mention it, his 'people skillz' (yes, with a z) IS the most annoying and dislikable part about him.
In fact, his man crush on Sasuke borders on idiotic and insane...and yet for some reason it endears him to everyone. 0_o!?

Ugh! I just want to slap some sense into the characters sometimes. XD

Signature

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Cancel

Quote by Legionary^ Actually now that you mention it, his 'people skillz' (yes, with a z) IS the most annoying and dislikable part about him.
In fact, his man crush on Sasuke borders on idiotic and insane...and yet for some reason it endears him to everyone. 0_o!?

Ugh! I just want to slap some sense into the characters sometimes. XD

Hahahaha, man-crush. That sounds pretty accurate actually.

* Sasuke leaves
* Naruto follows like an estranged wife.
"I won't let Orochimaru have you! I will stop you even if I have to break your arms and legs!" //restraining order
* Spews out lines about friendship and following your dreams.
"Until I reach my dream, I refuse to die."
* Continues on this path for about 200+ episodes
//hate //hate //hate

I'm not sure why everyone falls for it; I guess that's how it's supposed to be since he's going to be the future Hokage, (Future, future, wayyy future Hokage) everyone needs to love him, and he's supposed to have defining qualities that distinguish him from everyone else. //sigh

Legionary

Legionary

Ramen Loving

Cancel

Quote: I'm not sure why everyone falls for it; I guess that's how it's supposed to be since he's going to be the future Hokage, (Future, future, wayyy future Hokage) everyone needs to love him, and he's supposed to have defining qualities that distinguish him from everyone else. //sigh

In a crazy way it makes some sense; everyone has to love him I guess for him to become Hokage. I suppose also that it does, however dumb it is, make him stand out since so many other characters seem to change alliances at the drop of hat.

Nagato: Must kill everyone! >:U
Naruto: Let's be friends, lol! =3
Nagato: Ok! =D

Quote: Especially when Naruto/Sasuke/etc beat enemies so "easily" that takes those other ones nearly every ounce of ability JUST to stand toe to toe with. I mean, ones that were up there like Orochimaru, Minato, and Itachi were considered prodigies that appeared rarely once a generation or something...now that just seems so...irrelevant...

Like Kakuzu was easily taking on Team 10 and Team 7 by himself, including Kakashi and Yamato, both among some of the strongest shinobi Konoha has (presently and before), but even they were being kept at bay by Kakuzu's power and experience. Then Naruto comes along and single-handedly beats him with the Rasenshuriken by way of the cliche moment-of-stupidity scenario that he suspiciously NEVER had against others.

"Heart", "never giving up", "guts", etc can only take you so far by themselves. Otherwise, Lee should be the strongest shinobi of all, even with just Taijutsu and being able to use all 8 Gates easily without fear of death and all that stuff, lol.

Exactly.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. To be fair I guess, the whole "never giving up" is an attribute many, many main characters have, anime or not. Still, the fact that with Naruto it boosts him to such trememdous heights in terms of power and skill, the series has more than its share of eye rolling moments. Beating Kakuzu like you mentioned and the whole beating all Six pains single handedly when the whole Leaf Village couldn't even touch him also rings a bell. XD

Signature

Cancel

And it doesn't help that he manages to sway people who have been SO cemented in their beliefs for most of their LIVES so "easily" change because of one of Naruto's little speeches, like Nagato, despite how diehard he was about his goals and bringing his version of peace and such.

And the thing is, despite how Kage's are meant to be, it will more than likely happen, despite all history and common sense saying otherwise.

A Kage needs to be unbiased in his/her decisions and cannot let emotions and personal feelings sway their judgment, regardless of how it would affect them or others, close or otherwise, personally.

- Naruto has let this happen in SPADES. Constantly gets emotional about things, always willing to let things slide just because he wants to believe a person is good and can be "saved", will always put his friends and loved ones above others, and so on. Of course, NOW we can't say that people would easily take advantage of it and stab him and others in the back when he so readily accepts them back because of how he's now able to "sense the negative emotions in people" and crap.

A Kage needs to be willing to make sacrifices for the good of the village, whether from him/herself or others.

- Despite all his talk lately, Naruto has still shown, mostly with Sasuke, that he is NOT willing to make ANY sort of sacrifice except ONLY from himself (or allow others to either). Anything else and he'll do whatever he can to have everything both ways, despite the consequences. Like Itachi asking him if Sasuke were to try to destroy Konoha, would Naruto have what it takes to kill him in order to protect it, and Naruto simply saying he'll "save them both" because he's obviously not going to sit back and let Konoha be destroyed, but he's also not willing to let go of trying to "save" Sasuke; now an internationally-wanted criminal who has committed treasonous acts all punishable by death. Tsunade also made this mistake by not making Sasuke a missing-nin immediately his defection, simply because of her personal connection to Naruto and Sakura most likely.

You'd think, especially since Pain's attack, that Naruto would know this, and accept it, A LOT more now that he knows Minato is his father and Kushina is his mother and both made such HUGE sacrifices, despite possibly KNOWING how things may turn out, yet they were still willing to make their ultimate sacrifices; their lives and their own child, in order to protect Konoha.

A Kage needs more than just strength of body, but also in mind.

- Yeah...I think this one is QUITE obvious...even A, for his big muscles and concept of "might is right", isn't a mere brainless brute either. Naruto has been about power, power, power, with a mix of idiotic naivety and even selfishness and whatnot. Yes, he's good at coming up with stuff on-the-spot in the middle of a fight (though, a lot of that also only worked solely because they also had enemies have the cliche "moment-of-stupidity" bit at the exact right time), but that's hardly the same as being able to plan things out ahead of time, making predictions on enemy movements, and so on.

I mean...Naruto is basing his goals on a FANTASY NOVEL written by Jiraiya...I think that also says a lot...x_x

Despite the kind man he was on the outside, it's pretty obvious that Hiruzen and the other Hokages (and Kages in general) obtained that position and maintained those positions for however long SOLELY by being kind people to anyone.

• Jul 08, 2011

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Cancel

I've never really watched Code Geass but one of the main reasons why I didn't, was CC. I still don't know why but she annoys the hell out of me. I would've given CG a chance maybe if it wasn't for her and the fact that she was one of the main characters. The moment I saw her, I wanted to snap her neck, lol. Maybe it's her character design but something about her just irks me to no end. >_>

Also, Kaname Kuran from Vampire Knight. I agree that all three of them (Kaname-Yuuki-Zero trio) are annoying and that supporting characters have more freaking character depth than them, but Kaname takes the cake. As with CC, I just didn't like him from the start and his whiny, possessive side just made me want to bitchslap him silly. And the whole 'I'm so emo and pathetic because I wish I could chain her to me forever and always but I also want her to walk around freely, oh, what should I dooo?' attitude is seriously pissing me off. I mean, Zero is one hardcore emo, as well but at least he seems more honest and straightforward than Kuran who's been playing all kinds of games behind the curtains. I simply dislike scheming characters. Lol, I can imagine Kuran fangirls throwing things at me now... XD

Besides that, any whiny, wimpy, damsel-in-distress type of main female character gets to the top of my list of the worst main characters. And unfortunately, I've seen too many of them. :/

Signature

Cancel

I think a lot of animes have really bad stereotypical characters. It's a shame really. I like my anime to be unpredictable but that just doesnt work if the main characters are so alike everywhere.

• Aug 12, 2011

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 31 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.