Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do people often mistake your gender online? - Minitokyo

Do people often mistake your gender online?

How often does this happen?

All the time!
4 votes
Sometimes, not always.
16 votes
No, never.
5 votes
I lie about my gender online.
0 votes

Only members can vote.

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 62 total items

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

"Fate, up against your will."

Though it hasn't happened here yet, countless times on other sites people mistakenly assume that I'm male. I don't mind it too much, however the fact that it happens so much makes me wonder if it happens to anyone as much? If it does, then what do you think causes people to assume such?

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

^ YOU'RE A CHICK?! WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN....

SO far no one had mistakenly assume that I'm female.. and if it happened I don't recall it. Even with my girl avatars and whatnot I always make sure people know I'm a guy.. mostly by my comments.

Signature
You best be fearin' the ears baby.

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

^ Hahaha, yes I am. Apparently I'm doing something that makes people think I'm a guy.
Or maybe I just radiate manliness. //like a boss
Whatever it is, it's strange being in a conversation and being called 'bro' or 'man'. //laughs

I wasn't sure if you were male or not, but something kept me from thinking you were female.

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

I though you were a guy because of your avatar. Thats really all. After reading this thread I went ahead and looked at your "more info" section in your userpage.. just to see if you put down female for gender. Well in any case, I now know you are a girl. And you know I'm a dude. Haha.

Signature

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

In some sites they don't ask if you're male or female, and if they do, many don't display the information- which leads to a lot of "wtf-I'm-a-chick" moments. Wow, is my avatar manly or something? I thought if it looked pretty enough; that people would think differently. ;___;

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

MT Age: 50 Dog Years

Well, not exactly often.. But in my newbie era on MT, a number of my friends were dead sure that I was a guy (and American. the lolz). Dx One still calls me -kun even now lolol.
I don't know why it happens either, myself? Maybe wordiness --> guy? >_< I don't know if it still happens.. Do wonder. Shouldn't right.. I mean, with my avatar o_o

P.S. I thought you were a guy too 'til I saw you K-Popping on Aiiro's GB. xD Sorry. ^_^; And I thought xAl was a girl too til I checked lmao. What to do~

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

for the avatars I use sometimes I'm mistaken for a guy, even on sites where I use female avatars/pictures I'm still considered a male. I suppose it's my tomboyish style and the fact of my posting qualities but I get mistaken quite a lot and once they figure out I'm a girl they either don't believe me (sometimes here) or they want to get "friendly" with me. I don't mind the stereotypes I'm completely use to them, can't change who I am or my typing style or manners. I can't help if I like mowing and cuddling with a plushie while watching tv at night (walking contradiction right there) ;)

BuBbLeS!

Signature

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

We can make a Miss-Understood group lol xD
And I did think angelxxuan was a guy too, when I first met her. There is something very matter-of-fact about the way you type, I think. ^o^;
What to do? Wear avatars with the female symbol all the time? lol >_>

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

Aiira

Linguistics

Aiira

SOON..

Nobody thought I was a guy because of my past username. --> aiiroprincessnoel
with the princess on my username I don't think they would think of me as a guy.
Though I have mistaken a whole bunch of people as a guy/girl.

EX. Fran I first thought she was a guy because of her username T_T [sorry fran]

Signature
CHERISH yesterday
DREAM tomorrow
LIVE today

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Nah, I don't think I've been mistaken for a guy before, I type way too elaborately and girlish to be mistaken for one (see what I mean?). Plus, my avatars had been girly for years before I finally learned to lay off the sparkle brushes.
I must confess I'm guilty of thinking you were a guy before, as well ._. Dunno, your Snape avatar was cool in a way I haven't seen girls' ones to be (awkward word order ftw!)

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

@Aiiro & Pande: You lucky people. D: I didn't know there were male anime charas called Aozora before I made my name. >^<

@Aiiro: LOL I would be very amazed (and amused) to see a guy with 'princess' in his name. xD And lolz Fran's a girl's name... Isn't it? :o Maybe KHR confused us. xD

@Pande: T_T I typed elaborately too, but somehow I'm the guy while you were the girl. nandeyo. lol come to think of it, are your titles and SolemnSerpent's connected? ^_^ Also... Snape? Where? :D

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

@Ao: Well, my username is inspired from my fave H.I.M. song, "Sweet Pandemonium", and my birth year. Creative, amirite? XD And lol, I hadn't even noticed the title resemblance! Maybe we unconsciously took after one another, though her title wouldn't apply to me since I'm an open pervert XD

Dreadwave

Dreadwave

Hunter of snark bait.

Nope, this is about the only website forum that I frequent that makes a bigger deal about gender than the others. Especially since that information is public(don't know why users ask when they can just click on the username link and check out gender).

I guess I have an advantage over most people. At least I know I'm not getting a happy ending.Signature Image

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Quote by pandemonium91Nah, I don't think I've been mistaken for a guy before, I type way too elaborately and girlish to be mistaken for one (see what I mean?). Plus, my avatars had been girly for years before I finally learned to lay off the sparkle brushes.
I must confess I'm guilty of thinking you were a guy before, as well ._. Dunno, your Snape avatar was cool in a way I haven't seen girls' ones to be (awkward word order ftw!)

Lol, thank you. Awesome!arrogant!Severus is amazing; my mother thinks I'm strange cause I almost swoon whenever I see him in the movies.

It's like,
Snape: "Mr, Potter-"
Me: "You tell him, Snape!" //dreamy sigh
Mother: "Dear god, what have I done wrong?"

Quote by angelxxuanfor the avatars I use sometimes I'm mistaken for a guy, even on sites where I use female avatars/pictures I'm still considered a male. I suppose it's my tomboyish style and the fact of my posting qualities but I get mistaken quite a lot and once they figure out I'm a girl they either don't believe me (sometimes here) or they want to get "friendly" with me. I don't mind the stereotypes I'm completely use to them, can't change who I am or my typing style or manners. I can't help if I like mowing and cuddling with a plushie while watching tv at night (walking contradiction right there) ;)

I've always thought you were female, I don't know- I just never questioned it.
They don't believe you? //laughs - Wow, that has to be an interesting conversation.

"I'm a girl-"
"No, you're not!1111"

Someone said that to be before, that I type like 21 year-old male. That was when I was 17.
Then again, if I go to a page, and the first word I see is, "KAWAIIIIII", I make assumptions. //laughs

Quote by aozoraskiesWell, not exactly often.. But in my newbie era on MT, a number of my friends were dead sure that I was a guy (and American. the lolz). Dx One still calls me -kun even now lolol.
I don't know why it happens either, myself? Maybe wordiness --> guy? >_< I don't know if it still happens.. Do wonder. Shouldn't right.. I mean, with my avatar o_o

P.S. I thought you were a guy too 'til I saw you K-Popping on Aiiro's GB. xD Sorry. ^_^; And I thought xAl was a girl too til I checked lmao. What to do~

Blame Airra for the sudden K-pop infatuation- seriously. 5 minutes on her page, and I'm adding of bunch of B2ST to my iPod? Amazing, I tell you.

What do you? Change my username to, "IDontHaveaPenis01"? Subtlety, ftw?
Lol, that's alright- but you see what I mean? So many people thought so, I had no idea. //laughs

Quote: @Pande: T_T I typed elaborately too, but somehow I'm the guy while you were the girl. nandeyo. lol come to think of it, are your titles and SolemnSerpent's connected? ^_^ Also... Snape? Where? :D

This was my icon on TheOtaku.com:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/SolenmSerpent/witches_1.gif

And holy crap, they do look like they are! I never noticed it until now, wow, that's made of win. <3

Quote by AiiraNobody thought I was a guy because of my past username. --> aiiroprincessnoel
with the princess on my username I don't think they would think of me as a guy.
Though I have mistaken a whole bunch of people as a guy/girl.

EX. Fran I first thought she was a guy because of her username T_T [sorry fran]

Yeah, that would be a big indicator; whenever I see "Princess" or "Goddess" as part of a username, I instantly assume that the person's female.
Now that I think about it, my username might come off as male-? An older username of mine used to be "Twin-Eye", back when I used to post AMV's on YouTube. Still totally manly. This one person who thought I was male, but then I told them I was female- tried hitting on me online. I was like, "Dude, wtf? Keep your genitals to yourself." //cringe

merged: 05-24-2011 ~ 11:56pm

Quote by pandemonium91@Ao: Well, my username is inspired from my fave H.I.M. song, "Sweet Pandemonium", and my birth year. Creative, amirite? XD And lol, I hadn't even noticed the title resemblance! Maybe we unconsciously took after one another, though her title wouldn't apply to me since I'm an open pervert XD

I just noticed too! Similar titles, isn't that awesome?
Well maybe, great perverts think alike?

I'll be open one day, it's a goal!. But now? I make one slightly dirty joke and everyone drops their spoons and forks dramatically.

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

Quote by AiiraEX. Fran I first thought she was a guy because of her username T_T [sorry fran]

LOLOLOL, omg really?
Well, it's understandable xd. Fran is a shorter version of my name which is Francisca. Though it also works for the male version: Franscisco. But in spanish, Fran is normally too girly for guys :P
That being said, I know for a fact that fellow moderator Bernouli gets mistaking for a dude really often.

Until now, I haven't been mistaken for a dude. People tend to think I'm older though...

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

Misunderstandings aside, I only put girl avatars/signatures cuz as a guy, I prefer to see a girl (though dude avatars/sigs are cool to).
But I'm straight as an arrow, naturally liking girls, thus thats what I like. Nothing wrong with that right?
Yeah.

Signature

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

^ That makes sense; it's the same for me, I feature males in my avatars because I'm just attracted to them (and Nightwing looks fantastic in his blue spandex). Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever featured a female character in my avatars- ever. Wow, that's a revelation.

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by SolLol, thank you. Awesome!arrogant!Severus is amazing; my mother thinks I'm strange cause I almost swoon whenever I see him in the movies.

I fell in love with Alan Rickman after seeing Dogma and he's the perfect choice for Snape, I couldn't imagine someone else. It's like casting someone else as Dexter (from the TV series) or Barbossa - you do not mess with the best :3
Meh, my mom's boring. If she doesn't fall asleep a quarter in (she does that to every movie but those boring made-for-TV thrillers), she doesn't like the movie I recommend. She didn't even like POTC! How can you fall asleep watching POTC?
Lol @ username change. However, I'd recommend ihaveboobs4u (a lot of girls in my country add that useless "4u" at the end of their screen names). Ahh, I always end up laughing out loud at your posts c:

Quote by SolI'll be open one day, it's a goal!. But now? I make one slightly dirty joke and everyone drops their spoons and forks dramatically.

Why? :| It's perfectly normal to a be a pervert (in my logic); I think older people (out of their teens) should quit pretending to be prudes and just fess up. Who doesn't have fantasies? I for one am comfortable with my hardcore yaoi manga (and, as you've seen, sharing my barely decent avatars) and I urge you to be open ^^ Hell, I'm like that in real life as well and people have grown accustomed to me.

Girls = Perverts? When did this happen? I guess girls like to talk about that among themselves... cuz if I get all pervy around them, I usually get slapped.

Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by xAl-sanGirls = Perverts? When did this happen? I guess girls like to talk about that among themselves... cuz if I get all pervy around them, I usually get slapped.

That's pretense. They just act that way because that's what they were taught they should do, since it's gender stereotyping (guys are "dirty" but it's their nature, while girls should be of pure mind or risk being thought of as loose otherwise).

@Sol: oh, and I recommend Onward! Maiden Road - it has a few light-to-medium yaoi scenes in it but it's hilarious (it's about a closet pervert).

Quote by pandemonium91
That's pretense. They just act that way because that's what they were taught they should do, since it's gender stereotyping (guys are "dirty" but it's their nature, while girls should be of pure mind or risk being thought of as loose otherwise).

Its not just a stereotype.. its natural stuff. Sure a girl (like yourself) may admit to being all pervy-like but then you'll get all defensive, going all slappy-squirrel on guys that hit on ya.
Sounds like a contradiction, but it really just comes down to accepting certain people and repelling others......... I think.

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

People think I'm a guy.
End of story.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by xAl-sanIts not just a stereotype.. its natural stuff. Sure a girl (like yourself) may admit to being all pervy-like but then you'll get all defensive, going all slappy-squirrel on guys that hit on ya.
Sounds like a contradiction, but it really just comes down to accepting certain people and repelling others......... I think.

Not really, there are societies where the roles are reversed and women are more "manly", while men are more effeminate (from the point of view of Europeans/different cultures). That being said, in my grade school group I was usually more perverted than the guys (or at least more outspoken about it) and we talked openly about sex or taboo subjects. I still get along better with guys because I find them easier to talk to and more honest than most girls I come in contact with. It depends on the environment and upbringing of every person, I suppose *shrugs* But we're derailing the thread, so let's get back to the topic at hand ^^"

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Women are commonly and vastly ruled by their emotions.
Men on the other hand have a higher probability of not caring and tossing it aside.
Either have their good points and both of them have bad points, but you know what the most important thing is? It doesn't matter.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 62 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.