Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do people often mistake your gender online? - Minitokyo

Do people often mistake your gender online?

How often does this happen?

All the time!
4 votes
Sometimes, not always.
16 votes
No, never.
5 votes
I lie about my gender online.
0 votes

Only members can vote.

This thread is closed for posting.

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 62 total items

OMG!
I couldn't help laughing when i read this topic.
Solenm, xAl and fran( and even angel when she wore a bunny avy) I got all of them wrong XD

On topic: I guess peoples' posts don't really reveal their genders then... for example, I always thought that leaf was a girl by the way he spoke(typed posted whatever)
Actually, we just decide by our assumptions(based on our experience... i guess) and mostly by the ava, name or sig

It's just so easy to lie about one's gender on the internet...

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

symphonyofthewind

symphonyofthewind

Anything can happen

Nah truly i want to be a guy XD but im a girl and i proud of it, i wanna let the world know im a girl, i love wearing dress and fixing electronic, and to be a pain in the neck ^^ why n0t?
merged: 05-25-2011 ~ 01:27pm
Until now, i still think leaf is a girl, sorry leaf, cuz the way he spoke to every1, its so cute ^^

the world is like a mirror, if we face it smillin' , it smiles right back ^^Signature Image

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by symphonyofthewind
Until now, i still think leaf is a girl, sorry leaf, cuz the way he spoke to every1, its so cute ^^

That's a terrible way to judge gender, and the reason is just as bad.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Lol, believe it or not, I've been mistaken for a guy by some members on this site. IDK, it always threw me off, what with my cutesy avatar and username I always thought my gender would have been obvious. Apparently such was not the case. ^_^;;

Of course, then again some members and I *ahem* disagree on some things, at which point they purposely refer to me using masculine terms as a way of insulting me. :\

Signature Image

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Setting things in stone like a true man, Firefly.
..wait..what?

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

"Fate, up against your will."

Quote by pandemonium91I fell in love with Alan Rickman after seeing Dogma and he's the perfect choice for Snape, I couldn't imagine someone else. It's like casting someone else as Dexter (from the TV series) or Barbossa - you do not mess with the best :3
Meh, my mom's boring. If she doesn't fall asleep a quarter in (she does that to every movie but those boring made-for-TV thrillers), she doesn't like the movie I recommend. She didn't even like POTC! How can you fall asleep watching POTC?
Lol @ username change. However, I'd recommend ihaveboobs4u (a lot of girls in my country add that useless "4u" at the end of their screen names). Ahh, I always end up laughing out loud at your posts c:

Why? :| It's perfectly normal to a be a pervert (in my logic); I think older people (out of their teens) should quit pretending to be prudes and just fess up. Who doesn't have fantasies? I for one am comfortable with my hardcore yaoi manga (and, as you've seen, sharing my barely decent avatars) and I urge you to be open ^^ Hell, I'm like that in real life as well and people have grown accustomed to me.

I need to see Dogma; I'll order it from Netflix when I have the chance, but one movie I'd heard about was Bottle Shock. Watching Alan being a snooty, wine tasting Brit sounds like an awesome way to spend an hour and a half, <3 And you're right, he's the only one who could've pulled off Snape's character like he did- and that voice, that voice- swoon.

Whoa, whoa~ falling asleep? During POTC? Is that even humanly possible? The second Jack Sparrow starts struttin' his stuff across the screen- it's impossible to look away.

4u? ACHOO! Sorry, my grammar gene had an allergic reaction. //laughs

You know, if I acted more perverted, I wouldn't be surprised if more people thought I was male. People just expect men to be a little perverted. Consider this: men often like same-sex relationships involving women, it's more socially accepted, but when a girl likes two guys with each other? "Dear god, what has the world come to?!" I told my mother that more females are like that than she thinks, and she looked at me as though I'd lost my marbles.

One day though, being an open pervert- it'll happen. I'll scare the holy-than-thou pants off of everyone when I do, though. //mission!accomplished

merged: 05-26-2011 ~ 05:46pm

Quote by xAl-sanGirls = Perverts? When did this happen? I guess girls like to talk about that among themselves... cuz if I get all pervy around them, I usually get slapped.

Oh trust me, we're bigger perverts than the world realizes. We're just more adept with hiding it.

merged: 05-26-2011 ~ 05:55pm

Quote by TheCompilerOMG!
I couldn't help laughing when i read this topic.
Solenm, xAl and fran( and even angel when she wore a bunny avy) I got all of them wrong XD

On topic: I guess peoples' posts don't really reveal their genders then... for example, I always thought that leaf was a girl by the way he spoke(typed posted whatever)
Actually, we just decide by our assumptions(based on our experience... i guess) and mostly by the ava, name or sig

It's just so easy to lie about one's gender on the internet...

Haha, another person thought so?
God, I feel so manly today! If this keeps happening, chest hair and a goatee is imminent.

Yeah, I guess instead of checking profiles, we rely on our natural detective skills and make an assumption. I've done it too; and failed miserably.

merged: 05-26-2011 ~ 05:59pm

Quote by symphonyofthewindNah truly i want to be a guy XD but im a girl and i proud of it, i wanna let the world know im a girl, i love wearing dress and fixing electronic, and to be a pain in the neck ^^ why n0t?
merged: 05-25-2011 ~ 01:27pm

Awesome;
"Darn it, my electrical outlets are malfunctioning- could you change out of your Prom dress and fix it?" //epic win <--- that's how the future should be. Reminds me of my computer virus issues; my brother usually fixed it cause' he was more skilled in troubleshooting, however I realized that I needed to learn how to fix them myself instead of relying on someone else.

Needless to say, I kicked some serious computer virus hindquarters. //like a boss

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

damn! tell me 'bout it! this is a classic example: people mistake the "chan" in "lupinchan" as the japanese thing for a girl but the "chan " is actually my fav actor Jackie Chan's name. Hello! I'm a dude people!

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Quote by lupinchandamn! tell me 'bout it! this is a classic example: people mistake the "chan" in "lupinchan" as the japanese thing for a girl but the "chan " is actually my fav actor Jackie Chan's name. Hello! I'm a dude people!

Yeah, I usually assume the same thing too; though, referencing Jackie Chan with your username is awesome.
+ 1 epic win points for that

The 'Lupin' in your username however, made me think you were a guy. I was instantly thought, "Wait, Lupin the 3rd? or Professor Lupin from Harry Potter?" //dork

In reverse, I guess my username would lead people to think the same about my gender.

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

evelluchia

evelluchia

Lu-Lu the friendship officer

i dont get it oftin but its happened to be before hehe XD so ive lerned to be a bit more girly hehe

??????
Signature
become a member of minitokyos newest happy family HERE
join the group web site HERE

springheeljack

springheeljack

The Return

No way Im dripping 100% testosterone through the interweb baby

You may bury my body in a supermarket aisle
Bury my body in the fresh meat aisle
You may bury my body in a supermarket aisle
And I will rise again like an exocet missile Signature Image

evelluchia

evelluchia

>.> show off :3

??????
Signature

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Quote by springheeljackNo way Im dripping 100% testosterone through the interweb baby

Your comment made my monitor and keyboard grow chest hair.
Keep on being badass, manly man.

evelluchia

evelluchia

now thats just grose hehe XD

??????
Signature

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

I have, on a number of occasions, been mistaken for a male. I had thought my username sounded feminine, but apparently I was wrong. Maybe I'm just overflowing with macho manliness even though I'm a chick. x) Still, I think I've been acting more girly lately, and I haven't noticed people mistaking me as often. Perhaps it's my recent use of my starstick.

Anyhow, I think this was an awesome idea for a thread! Just sayin'.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

evelluchia

evelluchia

i agree with sniker-chan ^-^

??????
Signature

Snicker is a girl? O_O

Another wrong assumption <_< *sighs*

edit:
off topic: Is it just me, or girls largely outnumber boys on mt? Or is it just the forums?

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

evelluchia

evelluchia

thats why now thanks to this assuming thing i usually check the user im talking tos page to find out wether they are male or female and go by that ^-^ away from that problem ^-^ its a bit imbarrusing i thought leaf was a girl too at first because of his feminen way of speeking but it makes him a very friendly easy going person and fun to talk to

it doesent really matter what gender your friends are as long as there your friends rite? and its the same for everyone

??????
Signature

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Quote by evelluchiait doesent really matter what gender your friends are as long as there your friends rite? and its the same for everyone

Indeed; I agree with this wholeheartedly.

merged: 07-21-2011 ~ 08:27am

Quote by SnickerdoodleNinjaI have, on a number of occasions, been mistaken for a male. I had thought my username sounded feminine, but apparently I was wrong. Maybe I'm just overflowing with macho manliness even though I'm a chick. x) Still, I think I've been acting more girly lately, and I haven't noticed people mistaking me as often. Perhaps it's my recent use of my starstick.

Anyhow, I think this was an awesome idea for a thread! Just sayin'.

I admit, I thought you were male for a little while, until I checked your profile a little while back.
Your writing style online isn't overly feminine, which led to an assumption.

Starstick? I find it slightly ironic that I was listening to 50 Cent's song, "Magic Stick", about 30 minutes ago.

Lol, thank you! It kept happening so much, I had to know if I was the only one getting all of these misconceptions. //laughs

evelluchia

evelluchia

hehe well it seems were all guilty of these mistakes ^-^

??????
Signature

Yamibou-Eve

Tagger

Yamibou-Eve

brace yourselves

Nah never :P you can just tell by my avatars/usernames and my posts (I guess). At least no one has ever even hinted to me that the mistaken me for a guy.
I'm kind of a genderless blob online anyways XDD

But I'm one of those that often mistakes other ppls gender/age/you name it XD I just don't pay that much attention to that :3

Tags don't fix themselves or disappear just bc you removed them >> Report@Tag Administration | Tagging Practices | Tagging Guidelines
my-maidenclamp-a-holictag-liciousSignature Image

evelluchia

evelluchia

i figured you were a girl but a tomboy kind of girl if i never looked at your name or avi i would have though you were a guy

i find it interisting how its assumed thing are a certen way and when we find out the truth were alot of times different tawords sead assumed thing/person

??????
Signature

Yamibou-Eve

Tagger

Yamibou-Eve

brace yourselves

@evelluchia
that's natural since I am a tomboy in real life :3 but I always hint I'm a girl in some way... but yeah it's strange how ppls opinions change over smth like that.

In places where you really can't relay on avatars and usernames, like online rpgs, ppl often ask the basic info about the person beforehand. I do too but I forget half a minute later :/

Quote by SolenmSerpentOh trust me, we're bigger perverts than the world realizes. We're just more adept with hiding it.

Hear hear!

Tags don't fix themselves or disappear just bc you removed them >> Report@Tag Administration | Tagging Practices | Tagging Guidelines
my-maidenclamp-a-holictag-liciousSignature Image

evelluchia

evelluchia

thats a good point as well but i guess it cant be helped ^-^

??????
Signature

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Quote by evelluchiai find it interisting how its assumed thing are a certen way and when we find out the truth were alot of times different tawords sead assumed thing/person

It's true.

One person on another site thought I was male, and when I told them I was female, I was suddenly getting hit on online. //cringes

I was like, "What the hell? Dude, just keep tellin' me about your favorite video games and sports- ? why can't we be (just) friends, WHY CAN'T WE BE (ONLY) FRIENDS. ?"

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 62 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.