Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Software failure, who to blame? - Minitokyo

Software failure, who to blame?

page 1 of 1 11 total items

srsn

srsn

anime marathon!

Ok we've all been downloading free softwares over the internet or even buying legal softwares, but have you guys ever wondered who to blame during a software failure?

Well, not all softwares are the same. some are private, others are small scale and some others are open sourced. So who do you think is accountable in a failure? What if something like some countries military software failed, who is to blame for it? is it the company? the programmer? or the system?

I want to hear your feedback on this one. Thanks!

Signature Image

aIshiRoi

aIshiRoi

lurking and stalking :D

Well, i don't think anyone has to blame. All of the software/system released was for testing as well. because Software/System failure cause mostly by the user itself. Even before a developer released a software/system, it will be tested and debugged many times as necessary to detect possible errors a user can encounter. But programmers/developers aren't that perfect to predict all the possible errors and failures. So they need help from the users to be able to know other errors and fix it. That's also why they want feedback. User and Programmer must have the constant communication for them to fix whatever failures are at hand.

although, at first when i read your questions, i immediately blame the programmer. Not knowing i'm a programmer as well and i know how it feels to battle with the errors or find them. @__@ i mean there are tons of errors that could be found. So you'll never know unless someone try it. :3

Well, that's my feedback ashlie. Hope that helps and i make it clear. XD

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

that's a very good question to ask. here lately I recently upgraded/updated and was forced to download firefox 5. to my disappointment it's not allowing certain add-ons to work, which is the company's/programmer's fault for releasing something that wasn't ready to be released just yet without further testing and getting it to work with all working windows properties like Vista and so forth.

in my opinion it's not always the user that downloaded said software, I'm very good with my knowledge when it comes to software, sadly I'm slim on hardware, but I know the limitations and learn them real quick when it comes to testing and treading on the waters with this. granted some people push it so far, download from the wrong source, or worse push things far beyond what they should go causing them to lock up, freeze or crash.

so basically, I suppose, it depends on the faults of the program being released too soon, the user being a newbie to the software, or perhaps it's being pushed too hard and it must go faulty just so it can get a break and let's not forget some people download things that scan their systems and delete important files which causes the system to default and destroy upon itself. so if a person doesn't do that and they do as they should, it possibly could be the programmer. nothing is perfect, and technology is only as good as it's creator (as of right now). just my opinion and personal experiences :)

BuBbLeS!

Signature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

I remember reading a news article about this last week and I think I cared a lot less than I should have. It was about sony and how in the past people chalked bugs to facts of life that can't be avoided but now people are sueing Sony over the security breach(s) they had. I don't remember alot of my Law education but aslong as the software is fit for purpose and the creator wasn't negligent in its creation I don't think you can legally blame them for some obscure bug no one knew about.

Also I'd just stick with FF3.6 until FF4/5 has been out for a good few months. Extensions are made by normal members of the public (I made an FF extension when I was 17), it's actually their fault for not updating it to work with FF4/5 not the other way around.

Quote by UsagixKitsune
Also I'd just stick with FF3.6 until FF4/5 has been out for a good few months. Extensions are made by normal members of the public (I made an FF extension when I was 17), it's actually their fault for not updating it to work with FF4/5 not the other way around.

You have a real world job? If you don't well better start practicing some responsibility as you clearly lack lots of it.
You made the extension, so it's your responsibility to make sure that thing works with the newer version of FireFox not Mozilla.

Signature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

That's exactly what I said. Read it again. "Their" points back to "members of the public" and not something you made up and added to the sentence in your mind. I understand where "it" may have confused you, since I used "extensions" as plural it should have been "them". In any case, you misunderstood a simple sentence and without knowing anything about me (this is the first time I've seen you here after all), you start attacking my personal life? Talk about conceited. I advise you to read the site's faq and policy and learn a little bit of respect before you continue posting on this forum. Thankyou.

HurtHattori

Linguistics

HurtHattori

As a programmer, I can tell you that a lot of those failures are our fault, or so to speak.
It is not an easy job to build something without any bugs or failures; you test, and debug a lot. You have to try to think about every single case that could happen, every single mistake the average user may do while knowing perfectly that you won't be able to cover *every* possible case. No software is entirely bug-free; but when a development is rushed, the final product suffers a lot from it. If it is something like Firefox extensions (that you do on your free time), you may not have the time to update your code for the newer version.

But the software failures, sometimes, are also caused by the users. For example, you may have deleted an important file for the application, or tried to install an older version of this program on a computer that can't handle it. As alshiRoi said, this is the reason why we need the feedback from our users! :) We need you, because without you and your comments, there's no way on earth that we can know the troubles you're facing with our product. This is especially true with open source software, and besides, your words and your constructive criticisms may help the developers to find some more motivation (after all, no software could exist without the humans behind it :) ).

vectory french-tribu linguistics-team
Don't beg for it. Earn it. Then it shall be granted to you.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneThat's exactly what I said. Read it again. "Their" points back to "members of the public" and not something you made up and added to the sentence in your mind. I understand where "it" may have confused you, since I used "extensions" as plural it should have been "them". In any case, you misunderstood a simple sentence and without knowing anything about me (this is the first time I've seen you here after all), you start attacking my personal life? Talk about conceited. I advise you to read the site's faq and policy and learn a little bit of respect before you continue posting on this forum. Thankyou.

"Quote by UsagixKitsune
Also I'd just stick with FF3.6 until FF4/5 has been out for a good few months. Extensions are made by normal members of the public (I made an FF extension when I was 17), it's actually their fault for not updating it to work with FF4/5 not the other way around."

"I" represents you and no one else.
"their" represents Mozilla.
"extension or extensions" doesn't matter as since you made a extension you are now part of that "general public".
I (you) made a extension when you were 17, it's their (Mozilla) fault for not updating to make it work.
And why would you stick to FF3.6? Because your extension will only work on that and nothing else?
If I made a extension and was working on FF 3.6, but doesn't work on FF 4 or 5, I'll try my best to fix that problem rather than
pushing blame to on to someone else.
Btw, I can read, it's you who can't type. :)

Signature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

"it's their (Mozilla) fault"

Mozilla was never mentioned in my sentence how could it possibly mean that?
I think you'll also find that this sentence has nothing to do with me, I mentioned making a FF extension to illustrate that the people who make them have no relation to Mozilla.

"Extensions are made by normal members of the public (I made an FF extension when I was 17), it's actually their fault for not updating it to work with FF4/5 not the other way around."

in other words

"Extensions are made by normal members of the public, it's actually their fault for not updating it to work with FF4/5 not the other way around."

like I said, "them" would have made more sense than "it", that was my mistake.

"Extensions are made by normal members of the public, it's actually their fault for not updating [them] to work with FF4/5 not the other way around."

So we can add parenthesis to the list of grammatical principles you don't understand.
btw you are doing a very good job of convincing me that you infact cannot read. Sorry about that.

If you insist on replying please explain what you interpreted as "the other way around." this is actually turned out to be quiet fascinating. I assume you didn't even read Angel's post, or maybe you did, it doesn't seem like it would have made a difference...

srsn

srsn

anime marathon!

Wait wait wait!

I hope there isn't a war going on between here...

I just wanted a friendly opinion ( no arguing guys LOL)

Signature Image

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

I'm sorry. It looks like it's over though.

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.