Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Atheism, a religion? - Minitokyo

Atheism, a religion?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

So I'm going to make my bit short and sweet here, this is a recreation of a thread that a friend of my created on a different website. This is a word-for-word quote of his starting topic. One of my personal favorites, I wanted to pose the same question over here to extend said conversation and such. Bear in mind that this thread will be monitored so that it does not get out of hand. This thread does not question those that chose to believe in Atheism, but rather simply a question posed towards it in general.

Quote by Distortion circa 2007Aaaaannnyways, my question is more directed at atheists and more or less what happens when they "win/get their way".

First let's look at the definition of atheism ala dictionary.com!

a

Signature Image

Dreadwave

Dreadwave

Hunter of snark bait.

Nowhere in that atheism definition was there a "attack religious people." sentence.

While I do put myself under the Atheist banner I don't attack/belittle anyone of a religious background because it's a stupid argument to begin with. How can you disprove a personnel belief of another human?

I do believe that the vocal minority of blowhard atheist are giving us a collective bad name.

I guess I have an advantage over most people. At least I know I'm not getting a happy ending.Signature Image

xRedPhoenix

xRedPhoenix

Red Eclipse

As an Atheist, I don't find myself against religion. You shouldn't generalize. I can do the same, stating that all religious people do is try and cram their beliefs down my throat and tell me I'm going to have a horrible afterlife based on their belief. I respect religions and what they try to do - moral compasses, the community work they do, and overall hope they give people. It's when someone walks up to you and tell you you're going to hell because you don't believe that bothers me.

I personally think it's silly for Atheists to gather. Even if they do it's not a religion in itself because while the beliefs are the same, the practices are not. There is nothing to practice. We don't plan our days or weekends based on our belief of there not being a god. I feel Atheists are gathering because they feel they are being attacked. While I don't believe in a god, I do understand the country in which I live in (America) was founded by men who did believe. Hence the "Under God" part. As a kid growing up I said that verse in the pledge, not really knowing what it implied. After I realized what I was saying, I'd just stay silent on that one part. It's that simple for me. People can believe. I don't. My day goes on. I don't feel it needs to be removed off coins, etc. As long as I'm not being forced to believe in something, it's all good.

I've had to read and study different versions of the Bible for college courses and even during my youth, picked one up to read to pass the time. It was an interesting read. I have really religious family members and I love them all the same. My point is, what is with the hate? :P

So no, Atheism is not a religion. It is a belief, but there is nothing to practice. That's like saying those who believe in the number 13 being bad are a religious group. Or people who believe that rubbing the edges of a cucumber makes it sweeter are a religious group. (Wives tales.)

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Atheism doesn't follow the definition of a religion first of all, because both belief and practice should be present and shown before said group of people actually form a religion.. Atheism has no such thing whatsoever.

Atheists are just a group of people who do not acknowledge a God of any kind because they have an absence of belief.
Absence

There is no substantial evidence that they practice anything of any sort as a group. All they do is walk around telling people they do not believe in God, living by the law and the ethnics of the place of residence. There is a misconception that Atheists have a faith.. which is also false. Atheists do not go to Church to worship, they do not hold classes to discuss the existence of someone in a painting either. They do not believe based on Faith, there is no requirement to believe anything.
Being against religion and lacking belief in it are 2 different things by the way.

They are a collection of people who have 1 thing in common: That there is no God
To believe something mostly is also to be based on Evidence, if there is no evidence of something actually existing.. it's not believable. Haruhi isn't real, but push her infront of me and I'll completely change my belief in light of this event that just happened to me.

If one goes to the dictionary to look up meanings, it's best to look up the meaning of a belief since that is the base word that this whole discussion requires.
Belief is the acceptance of something or anything without certain proof.
I quote a person who said something which I've kept in my mind for some time is that 'Believing holds a strong emotional feeling which denotes to have faith in someone or something. To have faith in someone or something centers around the word religion and to center around religion.. you usually have a God.'
Going back to the top -> Atheism is a lack of belief in a God.

I might have made a mistake, because it's too early in the morning for me to be typing things this long after stepping out of bed.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Distortion

Distortion

Bwahahaha!

Okay let's clarify some more people, the lack of belief in a God is Agnostic, where you lack a belief but you don't deny belief. Atheism is the belief in no god/s. Now here is the key word in everything, belief, an opinion, a thought, what you or someone you agree with thinks. It is not concrete proof.

Let's take an example, you are in a room with another person, and the only object of interest is a pen in the middle of the room, the pen is red. The other person is color blind, the pen to that person is green. (I'm not arguing on what color the pen would be to someone actually color blind, moving on!). Now what proof is there that the pen is either color? To me that is belief, you believe it's red but have no proof, to prove it is red to the person who says it's green.

An Atheist can not prove anymore than a person that believes in a religion that whatever the religion says exists. It's he said she said, taken too far in my opinion.

Although some interesting things for you saying Atheists don't plan their day around it, or don't have little cult meetings like a religion would.

http://www.atheists.org/

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100012851/atheist-clubs-are-springing-up-in-american-high-schools-warns-head-of-us-catholic-bishops/

http://www.atheistthinktank.net/

I think what galls me the most is the whining done by either side about their rights being violated in some way, from having to say "Merry Christmas." to someone who refuses to taxi a dog because it violates some belief.

Although there is something specific I would like to touch on here, about not saying part of the Pledge of Allegiance because you disagree with that certain part. What bothers me about that is, sure this was written long ago, but it was written by those that fought, died, and did their damnedest to fight for that country, it makes me proud to recite those words. My point is I would recite them even if they said "Under Tyrant, Under Moron, Under Fat cat asshole about to screw me!", why? Because it makes me proud to think that what they wrote and fought for is still being thought of and said today.

Signature
Remember kids! Violence cures cancer!
"You're liquefied, betch!", Frylock.

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

I won't disagree that in certain aspects things are taking too far. Heya anyone in the US, remember that whole incident with Michael Newdow who took action against the school system because his daughter had to say the Pledge of Allegiance? Things like this just grind my gears for so many reason. I get the argument, because to some it's a ghastly system for the early years of our country that represented what the United States of America was build upon (wait..how can that be ghastly?), but there was one key issue behind it all that was ignored for the most part. The Pledge itself, is optional. However, that's a past story from a past situation and Distortion also touched upon that.

Yet, at the same time, it's a fine example of what Distortion touched upon. Have we become so odious to where we have to take factions of our lives to an extreme and fight back against something else because we feel that it somehow inflicts harm against our personal beliefs? Do we have to become so varied in terms of what we offer, because we fear law suits or zealot attackings?

So, if this was the case, then overall speaking shouldn't we simply denounce religion itself? Or would that simply result in a shift to a different problem and just continue the cycle that has gone on for thousands of years?

Signature Image

xRedPhoenix

xRedPhoenix

Red Eclipse

@Distortion - As I stated, I find it silly that Atheists gather. It reminds me of an episode of Metalocalypse where one of the characters was trying to find a religion and ended up finding an "Atheist Church" so to speak - in which they basically sat around talking about how they don't believe. It was intended for humor but it made sense in the way some are acting nowadays.

And as for the pledge, it would be a little too much to say "Under Tyrant, Under Moron, etc" wouldn't it? It makes one sound very oblivious and willing to follow anything. If that is so, then why do Americans make such a big deal of the Communist marches in China when they sing praises of Mao Zedong? People are appalled by it, but by your reasons, it's totally fine since it's the way things are . People have to think for themselves. And things change for the good sometimes. Slavery was accepted and our founding fathers had slaves so you can argue that our foundations were founded on slavery... And men. Therefore slavery should be legal and only men should hold power.

But as I mentioned, I don't feel things like "In God We Trust" should be removed, nor should the Pledge be changed. I have no problem with it and people need to stop being so anal about it. Next they'll fight about why the word "Mankind" sounds so male chauvinist and it should be "Peoplekind" to not exclude females.

P.S. Wouldn't an Atheist saying "Under God" be considered saying His name in vain? :/

Distortion

Distortion

Bwahahaha!

Ok time to be kind of an ass, so Phoenix what you're saying is it should change with the norm right? So the country should be founded by the rich stealing from the poor, lying to them and then bankrupting the company they own, but not themselves, demand bail money from the government, use that money for themselves, and let those that work for them lose their jobs.

Let's put that somewhere in the pledge then since it's MUCH more accurate then.

Alright then, this has nothing to do with the subject, so let's try and go back to that.

P.S. to your P.S. Don't know don't really care, how often do you say or hear "god damn it"? It's this kind of crap that me wonder how much this country wallows in it's own poop and loves the smell.

Signature

xRedPhoenix

xRedPhoenix

Red Eclipse

Nope. Nowhere in my statement did I say the pledges or anthems or songs or anything should be changed. If you read my posts again, you will find that I constantly say over and over that nothing should be changed and that Atheists should be less anal about it. Maybe you should refresh. :/

FYI, I'm an Atheist that wishes I wasn't. Basically religion is something that has a happy ending and my beliefs are kind of a gloomy one. My beliefs in science, etc just outweigh my need for a god. I have nothing against religion though. I even suggest people in troubled times that approach me to turn to it. I feel happy for them if they can find something to lift them. I just can't. Sucks for me.

Anyway, you can stop being kind of an ass now. Let's be friends. :P We shouldn't rid of religion ever. I think it's terrible when the news reports of religious symbols being removed from Federal grounds just because of the Separation of Church and State thing. Or the whole Christmas Tree turned Holiday Tree thing. BTW I celebrate Christmas. I am aware of its origins and while I do not believe in a higher power, I like the family gatherings, the presents and family dinners. I've asked a few religious people what they thought about an Atheist celebrating Christmas and it hasn't been a problem so far...

P.S. When I sing the songs, I don't exclude the word "God".. :/

Distortion

Distortion

Bwahahaha!

OK we are still getting a bit off topic, and focusing too much on RedPhoenix, and HER beliefs, and HER views.

Let's look at the facts a bit more. What's I'm trying to say/imply is look at Atheism as a whole, there are groups that gather to discuss it, there is a god like deity of it, Richard Dawkins, and hell there are even books on it telling you how to act and think when you are Atheist, which from my understanding you define yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Atheist-Spirituality-ebook/dp/B0011UCPGU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311469056&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/Atheist-Universe-Thinking-Christian-Fundamentalism/dp/1569755671/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311469056&sr=8-3
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Atheist-Essential-Readings-Nonbeliever/dp/0306816083/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311469056&sr=8-1

Signature

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

if you believe in a person does that mean you are an atheist still? either that person being a god, being god like or you simply accept them as a leader that is founding for a religion? let's also remember when two or more are gathered to discuss something that also makes it a religion (might get some heat from someone about throwing out a christian comment to this one http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion ) even if you are gathering to talk about nothing and just there to enjoy one another company, or to simply have fun, etc. just because you believe in a void, is that not something? or when you die you are nothing more than worm food, is this also not a belief?

I would like to point out that I am not atheist and I do know about the religion/faith/whatever you prefer to call it, it's just I have always been curious why people wish to deny it as a religion. it's the same principle that if they (atheists) are happy believing in such things then why do (some) others struggle so hard to rattle their cages and make them endure a conversation of little to no interest to them only to dull their (the others) own delusions of an ideal world.

I always found it was more fun to learn, than to always be angry. that is what I am hoping to do here, I am not here to pick fights, simply to discuss, talk and see where people stand on these things.

p.s. Distortion is very well educated in this practice by reading through the comments before posting :)

BuBbLeS!

Signature

cheri-sama

cheri-sama

(◕‿‿◕)

I have met atheists before but only for a short while. Some of them display hate of other religions, particularly Christianity while others stay low, not letting people notice them. I think I have gone off topic ne?

It is quite confusing to me if Atheism is a religion or not. But aren't there few points in order to consider it a religion? like some practices of some sort? Atheists in general do not practice in anything and they just do what they want to do. From what I have read, isn't Atheism belief of no deities? or the supernatural?

( ゚Д゚ノノ☆パチパチパチパチ

xRedPhoenix

xRedPhoenix

Red Eclipse

Back on topic, I think the notion of being religious implies being part of an actual recognized religion to most people - which is why they would take offense to the word I guess. Next, believing the words of a person doesn't make it a faith - it's like believing the words your mom tells you. She is respected but not worshiped as the creator of all. There are a set rules on what to believe and how all things came to be in religions, while being an Atheist means you might find different theories on how things came to be based on new scientific discoveries. So if you base the word religion on ONE definition on Dictionary.com (I searched it myself), then yes, by that term Atheism is a religion. But that just means we believe in ONE LESS god than Christians do...

Another difference is that while some gather to talk of how to be an Atheist, most do not. In order to be a part of most religions, you usually go through a ceremony of some sort. This doesn't happen for Atheists. You just pop the idea into your brain that you are.

I think the major common factor in all religions have to do with the creation story. How things came to be. For an Atheist, that can change entirely in the very next day, as new information is discovered. And to boot, I'd never heard of Richard Dawkins until I Wikipediaed him from this post. So you see, being an Atheist can come from believing the words of more than one person and different experiences. Key players in my "religion" should be a well known fact if it is indeed a "religion..." I have no idea who to thank for my "faith." ....Albert Einstein?

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Well , I really doubt atheism is even a form of religion to be honest - it's just an act of disbelieving the supernatural and the unnatural order which some believes in.
The practice of faith to a greater existence , the practice of worship due to such existences and the dedication to something of great meaning is perhaps what one would call religion.

Even Cults can be considered religion if you think about it that way - but they ARE a form of religion - just a form of which humans as an overall species - denies.

Personally , I am an atheist - I keep my faith in humanity and my fears in the whims of the Earth we stand upon - as well as the celestial bodies of the skies above.
I don't mind religion as a whole though - I find them interesting , if not intriguing , for one thing the world would be quite a dull place indeed without these practices and humans does require a certain extence of hope and faith to keep their mind alive.

Then again , considering that atheists , overall , are placing their faith in science - if not - humanity , I wonder why it could not be called a religion. A religion , after all , is a meaning , an existence , a form of structure , cycle or system that people firmly believes in.
Something their willing to follow , listen to , keep their trust and faith into - So in a way , atheism is indeed a form of religion , but not one of which keeps their faith in a supernatural existence but the faith is kept to humanity itself.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Now give me 4 hours while I stab all your posts from the last one I made. Because you needleheads aren't quoting replies so I don't know who is talking to who.

Quote by DistortionOkay let's clarify some more people, the lack of belief in a God is Agnostic, where you lack a belief but you don't deny belief. Atheism is the belief in no god/s. Now here is the key word in everything, belief, an opinion, a thought, what you or someone you agree with thinks. It is not concrete proof.

Let's take an example, you are in a room with another person, and the only object of interest is a pen in the middle of the room, the pen is red. The other person is color blind, the pen to that person is green. (I'm not arguing on what color the pen would be to someone actually color blind, moving on!). Now what proof is there that the pen is either color? To me that is belief, you believe it's red but have no proof, to prove it is red to the person who says it's green.

Atheism is not a belief in anything though, it's a complete lack of belief. There is -none-, you can't make something out of nothing. It started out as people saying God does not exist and the next person saying 'that guy believes in no God'. Because of that one word, people have the misconception that being atheists means you -believe- in no God. They are on 2 entirely different degrees. It is because of the words people spread around that causes these misunderstandings and because it's gotten so out of hand.. there are actually arguments formed around it.

'The term agnostic refers to it being impossible to know a God exists, the term Atheist refers to the disbelief of an existence of God'

It is extremely simple to make these 2 words overlap and conflict each other.. or even bend one around and make it them the same.
All this time I've been talking about degrees and if no one understood why.. then here's an example.
There are different types of Atheists.. Those that are 'Strong' and those that are 'Weak', like any society of people. A strong Atheist would deny any existence of a God whereas a weak Atheist would just not have enough evidence to tell you one exists.. but if you give it to him.. he will believe it.

Given evidence of the existence of a God, Atheists will change. I've read Dawkins books and I'm pretty sure he said the same thing, that if any evidence is given to him about God existing in this world, that he would change. It's not so much that God's existence is a void in the universe but more so that the possibility of a God existing is extremely low to a point where God isn't really there.

That's all it really balls down to. What more is there to say? Discussing such a thing further will have you running in circles.

Quote by DistortionAn Atheist can not prove anymore than a person that believes in a religion that whatever the religion says exists. It's he said she said, taken too far in my opinion.

Blame the hardasses and extremists.

Quote by DistortionAlthough some interesting things for you saying Atheists don't plan their day around it, or don't have little cult meetings like a religion would...
...think what galls me the most is the whining done by either side about their rights being violated in some way, from having to say "Merry Christmas." to someone who refuses to taxi a dog because it violates some belief.

People can plan their day around anything they want, it's their life and doesn't have anything to do with Atheism at all. Atheists do have cult meetings because they are no different than any other group of people. Christians, Taoists, Muslims, Shintoists, Jews.. and even plain guys from Montana. Everyone has cult meetings but nothing should be based on them for obvious reasons.

I agree that the whining done by all these people would annoy the general public because you get the idea that if you're part of <this group> of people.. you receive some kind of special treatment others do not get simply because of what you are or what you believe. But touching on that isn't part of the OP at all so I'll skip it.

Quote by CyanideBlizzard
Yet, at the same time, it's a fine example of what Distortion touched upon. Have we become so odious to where we have to take factions of our lives to an extreme and fight back against something else because we feel that it somehow inflicts harm against our personal beliefs? Do we have to become so varied in terms of what we offer, because we fear law suits or zealot attackings?

Obviously so, since there are always people who get insulted over tiny issues. Take for example molesting, the female society come down hard on any man who has done wrong to a woman, whether it be conflicting views on a certain topic or something other than that. If you're on a bus and you fall asleep.. your hand just happens to fall on some woman's lap.. some of them would actually call the police and have you arrested for feeling her thigh.
But for what purpose? Money.

This is no different in that regard but the outcome and purpose. To answer your question, society has become oversensitive and just can't take things that don't agree with them. You make do with what you have in the society today but unfortunately the society today has become so 'palmsworthy' that you make do with what you have in yourself from your point of view.

Quote by CyanideBlizzardSo, if this was the case, then overall speaking shouldn't we simply denounce religion itself? Or would that simply result in a shift to a different problem and just continue the cycle that has gone on for thousands of years?

You do not simply -denounce- religion itself because you can't, you simply become a free-thinker whereas you do not mold yourself according to how religious you want to be.. or how religious you are or should be. You do what you do because it is how you want it be to according to your perspective on what it is, not because dogma tells you to do it.

Quote by angelxxuanif you believe in a person does that mean you are an atheist still?

You misunderstand that Atheism has nothing to do with people other than them believing a God does not exist.

Quote by angelxxuanI would like to point out that I am not atheist and I do know about the religion/faith/whatever you prefer to call it, it's just I have always been curious why people wish to deny it as a religion.

Because the word religion in the world today revolves around having a God. When you answer a person's question on what Religion you 'belong to' and he is unfamiliar with it.. the most common question will be about which God you believe in.. which is something Atheism lacks that makes you Atheist.
This is entirely a society thing.

TL;DR
Atheism is not really a religion but it does share many concepts and views as a religion. The question in an 'ultimate reality' is that we all have a God who loves us very much and would toss us in the burning fires of hell if we read Playboy magazine.
Atheism claims that there is no supreme being or God and the only ultimate reality is material and matter. This is final and there is no argument against it.
You are right to say it relies on belief. Beliefs that cannot be proven scientifically just like every other religion.. but Atheists are in a position that does not have an answer on whether or not a God exists which ultimately ends up being factual sentences and statements which do not have faith jumbled up in it.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

I also personally think atheism shouldn't be considered a religion. Religion implies and consists of rituals and practices; I, as an atheist don't perform any 'atheistic' rituals and/or practices. The fact that I don't 'believe' in the concept of God as described in pretty much all religions, doesn't mean I'm supposed to be a part of any other religion or sect. 'Belief', or in this case, lack of that 'belief' shouldn't be interpreted religiously; people 'believe' in many things - I 'believe' the sky is blue and that the sun rises every morning but that doesn't mean I made a 'religion' out of it. The same should be applied to people who don't 'believe' in something and/or someone. 'Belief' shouldn't be the same as 'religious belief' or even better - 'faith'. Those two things, while quite similar, shouldn't be put together in the same basket.

As for atheists being against religion, I also disagree about that - I mean, if you look at three biggest religions today, they are also against each other - both Muslims and Christians, for example, think their religion is the 'right one' or the 'truth' while essentially, all religions entail the same concepts they took from religions or 'belief systems' preceding' them, and yet, you have the disputes and conflicts among those groups of people.

Personally, I don't really care either way. I try to be a good person regardless of any 'beliefs' and opinions and if you're a nice person with whom I can have a normal talk, I couldn't care less if you believe in Jesus, Allah, Krishna or amphibian aliens from Sirius. I won't hold it against you or judge you because of that. I do expect the same in return, though.

Signature

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

I, like most people here it would seem, probably wouldn't classify atheism as a religion since their isn't really anything in the way of worship or something that directs atheists in the way that they should live. If anything, I would say atheism is not a religion but a lack thereof. I would, however, classify it as a philosophy based on the following definition:

phi•los•o•phy/f??läs?f?/Noun
1. The study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, esp. when considered as an academic discipline.

That said, I don't agree with the arguments being made that atheism is not a religion because there is no faith involved, using the definition that faith is complete trust or confidence in someone or something. Evolution and the other theories that support atheism are still theories, not proven fact. Regardless of whether one believes in God or believes in theories of evolution (I don't know that every atheist believes in evolution, but the ones I know all do) there is still faith involved because none of us have died and come back to life to tell everyone if they met God or just ceased to exist. Oh wait, on second thought…Anyhow, to get back on track- Atheists have to have faith and conviction that their science and theories are correct-after all, if their theories are wrong, what then? They'll be in a lot worse shape when they die than if theists are just making up fairy tales. While theists have faith in a supreme being, atheists have faith in certain scientists and their theories. Basically, what I’m trying to say is that while atheism may not be a religion, there is some faith involved. (But I'm too wordy to be more concise. >.>)

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by SnickerdoodleNinja
Basically, what I’m trying to say is that while atheism may not be a religion, there is some faith involved.

But that faith has nothing to do with making or breaking the label of religion.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Quote by darthas

Quote by SnickerdoodleNinja
Basically, what I’m trying to say is that while atheism may not be a religion, there is some faith involved.

But that faith has nothing to do with making or breaking the label of religion.

Quote by xRedPhoenix Next, believing the words of a person doesn't make it a faith - it's like believing the words your mom tells you.

I suppose I should have been more clear. What I mean is that I don't think people can be like the above example and try to say that atheism is not a religion because it doesn't have faith- atheists do have faith. What I think makes it not a religion is the lack of a system of morals and way to live, etc, not whether or not there is faith involved. My apologies if I misunderstood RedPhoenix's point.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

I have to disagree with you DARTHAS on a number of things

You do realise not all religions centre their beliefs on a God or gods.
Atheism != anti-religious

Atheism is not "a complete lack of belief.", it is a lack of faith in God or gods specifically.
By my logic if a belief in God can be called a religion then a belief in no God can also be one.

Atheism falls under the general definition of religion.
I haven't read anything so far to convince me otherwise.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by UsagixKitsuneI have to disagree with you DARTHAS on a number of things

You do realise not all religions centre their beliefs on a God or gods.
Atheism != anti-religious

Atheism is not "a complete lack of belief.", it is a lack of faith in God or gods specifically.
By my logic if a belief in God can be called a religion then a belief in no God can also be one.

Atheism falls under the general definition of religion.
I haven't read anything so far to convince me otherwise.

Disappointing, I was expecting more from you after reading that first sentence.
Obviously not all religions center their beliefs on a God but again it goes back to what you view religion as and how you view it, what defines a religion to you and -what- exactly is a religion. You're reading the things I type way too literally instead of interpreting it in a different sense. Don't forget that this topic has a number of conflicting views on different levels and points.

Why did I say Atheism was a lack of belief in God or Gods? Simply because it is, to describe it in such a way asserts it's definition. Some people lack faith and some lack Belief, who are you to nail it down directly on the Atheists generally? Not everyone who is an atheist sees the 'why' question in the same light.
I won't judge, but I would question if you're hung up on the word 'belief' because there are many forms of it, if you add the amount of Atheists and regular people who view Atheism differently, you're getting caught in a tangled mess. Besides, no matter how you twist the word or twist the facts.. Atheism will still end up with 'lack of belief' in it's definition, not because that 1 phrase describes Atheism entirely.. but because it is one of the main aspects of Atheism. Also, belief in itself is as questionable as branding something as a religion.
(Cmiiw)

Lastly, by your logic what you're trying to say is.. 'if it looks like garbage and smells like garbage.. it's garbage'? I can respect that. So we're just going to have to 'agree-disagree'.

Now I need my caffine..

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Hmm... Then is the belief in humanity itself not a belief?

Atheists are non-believers of God , gods , dieties and anything supernatural.
But they maintain their faith and trust into something more practical like philosophy , science and something more practical as which they deem realistic.
Still , I suppose the term "movement" is better than "religion" , after all the first impression of religion is a structure which many keeps their faith and belief in - into something which one would call God.

In some ways , atheism does resemble it - for it holds the fact that it does have it's own structure of beliefs , it's own form of followers and the faith is placed not on the Gods but humanity as in itself.
That in itself puts it apart from the "typical religion" we think of - which includes the faith that people keep for the Gods.

Atheism is simply absent of a single element of what we depict as "Religion" and whether that single "element" is a strong enough factor to exclude it as a "Religion" is something up to an individual.
Personally , I'd prefer to label it as a movement but at times , I may consider it a religion.
As much as beauty is in the eyes of the beholder , such flexible terms are for each variant of mindsets as well.

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by DarthasAtheism is not a belief in anything though, it's a complete lack of belief. There is -none-

Quote by DarthasWhy did I say Atheism was a lack of belief in God or Gods?

Yeah I'm confused....

Atheism is all about God and deities, if you want to change that to a "lack of belief" in anything then please find another definition which matches that from a reputable source.

Is lack of belief in something different from believing something does not exist?
You seem to be trying to draw a line between the two but I don't see it. If you can think of a situation to contradict this please let me know.

You also seem to be saying people disbelieve in God at different degrees and everyone's point of view on Athiesm will differ.
That's no different from Christians believing in God at different degrees and having a different interpretation of the Bible.

My original point is, Atheism is a subset of Religion. Christianity is also a subset of Religion.
A religion being defined as - a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons

Christianity - God is our Lord
Atheism - there is no God

I'd also appreciate it if you answered my logic with a contradiction instead of an American idiom I don't understand.

Legionary

Legionary

Ramen Loving

atheism is not a religion.
Although I guess you could say that (I think) The Church of Satan is a religion and they are atheistic in their beliefs, atheism itself is no more a religion than free market economics is. =P

Signature
"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me" - MB20

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 53 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.