Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Help with a FMA Wallpaper? (Royai) - Minitokyo

Help with a FMA Wallpaper? (Royai)

Tagged under Fullmetal Alchemist

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Hey everyone! So I've been working on this background for a little less than an hour. It's my first time using Photoshop, so constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

RoyxRiza Wallpaper

Suggestions on what I can add, or change, anything, is welcome.

Thank you!

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Well, first of, it's very small...I hope that's not the real wallpaper resolution. :)

As for the wall, it definitely needs a lot more work. Starting with some technical things, your background looks like a simple render (you should also credit resources you use in your description) and you forgot to put your signature to the bottom. Wallpapers without a signature risk deletion.

You used two very blurry images of Roy and Riza that look very low in quality and as such, aren't really acceptable. Also, it's not very recommendable to use 'cut off' characters like that - meaning, to put them in the center of the wall while the rest of their bodies is missing. My suggestion would be to find better quality scans or even better yet - vectors - of Roy and Riza and to focus on just that one image; having too many images in one wallpaper tends to ruin the composition. Then, try to come up with a more original or creative background - you can always use stock images (but then, you must be careful with them because they often clash with the animated style of the characters) or even scans with the appropriate background.

Since you mentioned you're new with Photoshop, I'd suggest to make the background more simple, maybe using some brushes, textures and cleverly placed text for now until you get the hang of it. Use colors that fit the mood and the characters/series; the background you have now is a bit too sci-fi if you know what I mean. If you want an example of a well done simplistic wall like that, you can check out this one: LINK

Good luck with it and keep it up! :)

Signature

Thank you for all the suggestions!

This really is just a rough draft, I kind of know what I want it to look like, but not really how to get it that way.

As for the size, I just did that because my computer was being stubborn and didn't want to upload it. The pictures are very low resolution, I got them by finding a website that was streaming the dub and used the snipping tool to get them, I'm waiting for my DVDs to come before I try it again. (Unless someone can suggest a website where I can get the same images in HQ.) Oh and the reason they are cut off, that wasn't my choice, that's all that the screen shot had.

What if I got rid of the lower right hand corner picture (As much as I hate to, I love that moment) And brought the main picture of the two of them down to the bottom of the picture? Maybe it wouldn't be as obvious.

Can anyone suggest any good Photoshop Wallpaper tutorials? Like I said before, I am really new to Photoshop, I've only had it a couple of days and I'm using a very old version of it.

Oh, any suggestions on where I can find some good backgrounds to give me a jump start?

Thanks again for all the help, sorry for all the questions! (Obviously I need the help)

merged: 08-02-2011 ~ 06:39pm
Oh... and could someone explain a vector and how I use it?

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

You're welcome! :)

Well, it's actually very hard to find a high quality anime screenshot, unless you find a vectored one. Try going through MT's FullMetal Alchemist scan gallery and maybe you'll find what you're looking for. You can also check out the Fullmetal Alchemist Indy Art gallery here for some good vectors (pay attention to the 'Vector Art' tag). You can also find some good backgrounds here, especially if you're looking for something scenic.

I think using just one picture is a good idea, yes. Again, depending on the HQ image you'll manage to find, you can choose which one to leave and which one to get rid of. As for Photoshop tutorials, you can find some good ones on deviantArt (try HERE) or even Youtube if you're looking for a more interactive way to learn how to use PS. Which version are you using?

You can find out more about vectoring HERE (it was also made by one of the great wallers here :3) but in short, it's a type of graphics that can be resized and manipulated without losing quality as opposed to let's say pixels in JPEG pictures. Vectors are done by using Pen Tool features in Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. It's a bit tricky at the beginning but once you learn how to work with it, it's very useful for many things besides vectoring like extraction, too. :3

Keep it up!

Signature

Thanks, I'll check out those links.

The version I'm using is Adobe Photoshop 7.0.

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

7.0, while older, is still one of the best and most stable ones. I used to use it, too before I switched to CS2 not too long ago. So, yeah, you have a good piece of software there. :D

Signature

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.