Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Advice regarding my first wall - Minitokyo

Advice regarding my first wall

Tagged under Wolf Guy

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

skulldolphin

skulldolphin

Run to the hills!!! >.<

Hello everyone. Decided to make a wall for Wolf Guy and, so, this was born (http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/skulldolphin/wolfguy.jpg). It's my first (as I mentioned in the title) and I'm not sure it's good enough. Suggestions are more than welcomed.

Signature ImageI was just wondering how you comb your hair so the horns don’t show

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

ecchi warning? but I see no sig anywhere for starters, unless it's the kaji style in the top left of the page. it looks like slight/some jpg artifacts, when I go to enlarge the image to view it further. the aspect of using the blackout and character centered looks decent, and the kanji to the left gives it some of a complete stage, but I do have to admit there was great detail to the chains through. this is just my opinion from a simple artist, there will be others that come along to add to or take away/etc. just be patient before uploading and other help :)

BuBbLeS!

Signature

skulldolphin

skulldolphin

Run to the hills!!! >.<

thnx for replying. I wanted to go for an "abandoned" look. still, I can't help but fell it seems empty (like something is missing). do you think i should add some more objects in the darkness? also, is it bad that a part of her foot and hand are not showing?

Signature ImageI was just wondering how you comb your hair so the horns don’t show

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

since, to me, it appears that the scene is "fading to black" it looks proper that part of her body is missing, if you want to show more you have to expand more on the body, I find it fine, but you are the artist after all. if you add too much then it'll be bloated and then too busy, but if you feel it's empty then add things and then compare what they might need, perhaps some spatter on the darkened parts with blood? or the tiles? after all this is a werewolf and extremely dark manga and a short lived anime/ova appeared as well if I'm not mistaken. it was the remake/remaster that turned it more towards the mature audience than anything else. but have fun with it, that is what being an artist is all about :)

BuBbLeS!

Signature

aurorawitch

aurorawitch

Lack of inspiration

i think there is too much black in your walle. If you add some more floor that barely seen in darkness(instead of black bg), he wouldn't be looking like he is...lying on the floor that in front of space... Becuz of my bad english i couldn't tell you what i mean but hope ya understand :)

Epic fail :DSignature Image

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

"Fate, up against your will."

In comparison to the original scan, I feel as though the best thing you could do to this is expand it; especially the tiled flooring. My attention keeps being drawn towards the tiled floor, where the quality of the scan appears the most degraded/low quality. Painting over, or finding a different flooring to place the character on + making the floor bigger, would make this look better/less empty. Then, with a bigger area to work with, you can add other grunge/eroded effects to better achieve a creepy, isolated feel. Also, the feet are little cut off; if this wasn't intentional, there's [this] - which has the feet completely visible. As for the text, it's quite invasive and unnecessary- I'd suggest removing it completely (but when you've improved this and plan to post it on MT, don't forget to add your signature [usually at the bottom]).

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

Aiira

Linguistics

Aiira

SOON..

First clean the scan there's too much jpeg artifacts and jagged lines. Vector the scan if you can.
The background also needs a lot of work. Placing an image on a blank canvas and surrounding it with black background is

1. low effort.
2. no effort on the background and foreground.

Since the scan's main point looks like torture, pain & loneliness

Vector the tiles and probably repeat it all over her. So she's not surrounded by darkness.
Search around MT and find some walls that is almost similar to your project and get some ideas from them.

For Example
Forever Chained by miss-kittychan
It's simple yet it delivers that feeling and concept of loneliness.

Hope I helped :D

Signature
CHERISH yesterday
DREAM tomorrow
LIVE today

evelluchia

evelluchia

Lu-Lu the friendship officer

i like the consept of your wallpaper but it seems a bit dark it also makes it seem like theres not alot of effort into the bacround maybe if you made it into a closed room it would protray better what you want it to get across

i do hope this helps and this is only a sugestion ^-^ i hope to see it in the gallery

??????
Signature
become a member of minitokyos newest happy family HERE
join the group web site HERE

skulldolphin

skulldolphin

Run to the hills!!! >.<

hello all^^ first off, thank you for showing interest and for the good advice. I've tried to place her into a room as luchia-san suggested and dropped the "covered by darkness" concept aiira and serpent pointed out. this is the result (http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/skulldolphin/newone.jpg). I did not put the sig yet because I feel there is still much to work on, like blending her a bit better in the bg (would love some tips on how to do that - I added some slight shadows from the layer blending option and blurred her a bit to get rid of that paper look). She's placed in the corner because a part of her hand is missing in the original scan (of her fingers, to be more precise) and I don't want to ruin anything by adding the lines myself.
should I add some blood on the floor to dramatize the wall? also, I did try to filter the room itself to make it blend with the body but it seem to forced.
hope the wall improved a little^^

Aiira

Linguistics

Aiira

SOON..

Great job putting them together :D
Now try and blend the floor and wall, since they looked too different from each other.
Also try and darken the floor it's too light for the wall and the scan.

I like your idea so go ahead and add some blood on it. Maybe splash them onto the walls and the floors, don't overdo them though. Add some on the character also, to make it seem more realistic that she's on pain.
Like this
Portamento by Kitten
See how Kitten delivered the emotions into the wall.

Hope you the best, and good luck with the wall <3

Signature
CHERISH yesterday
DREAM tomorrow
LIVE today

evelluchia

evelluchia

it looks impressive aiira mentioned blending the wall and the floor

try making the color of the wall and floor match up a little more

heres an option for a way of blending and adding more effect you can maybe show signs of a struggle (like she tried to get free because of her lonelyness and feer of being alone)

^ thats just an option for you if you wish to use it

or maybe when you match up the colors the wall has cracks maybe you can show the tiles with pieces cracked off or cracks in the tiles it will give the feeling shes trapped in an old abandend place

maybe adding some rust stains from old wall fixtures

these are all possibilities you can use to add more of a dreary lonely effect

i hope this helps you with comming up with some really cool ideas for your wallpaper ^-^

??????
Signature

skulldolphin

skulldolphin

Run to the hills!!! >.<

I finally decided what to place in the left corner so it won't give the impression of something unfinished. here is the latest improvement (http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/skulldolphin/lastone.jpg) with a darker floor too^^
again, thankies for your patience and good advise.

evelluchia

evelluchia

i dont think the 3D effects and shadows on the blood are needed though the mirror and blood are very nice additions you should add some blood stains to her as well just to make it more like its her blood

the blood on the wall should not be 3D past the mirror

i hope this helps

i think by the end of this this is going to be a very cool wallpaper

??????
Signature

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

As evelluchia mentioned, the 3D effects on the blood are not necessary- it makes the blood appear too fake/pasted on; I'd suggest removing the shadows, but don't shy away from adding different, subtle shades of dark red to the blood (to make it appear more realistic). I do like the addition of the mirror and its reflection; quite sinister. _ Another thing that still needs work are the shadows/lighting. The character and the wall are full of textures and varying light, however, the floor's lighting appears too static and flat. Try giving the tiled floor more varied lighting/texture. Plus, since the character's back is near the wall, considering the lighting, their shadow should be slightly visible on the wall as well. Not too obvious; merely a small detail that would tie the character to their surroundings better.

Either way, excellent improvements thus far!

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

evelluchia

evelluchia

i agree with SolenmSerpent with her statements i think some lighting adjustments would be a good idea

i love the sand box everyine is very helpful to make a wallpaper turn out wonderfully

??????
Signature

skulldolphin

skulldolphin

Run to the hills!!! >.<

I got rid of the 3D effects on the blood and managed to make the floor less sparkly and more like the reflection in the mirror. I have some doubts though. is it too red? does it swallow the blood? or is the shade ok? also, I darkened the girls body and added some blood on the hand she supposedly used to smash the mirror. still working on the shadow on the wall...
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/skulldolphin/wall2.jpg
next to this one, I'll post a link to another version of it, only greenish and with a different floor texture^^ one last question: does the wall seem blended with the floor or should I try to fix it up a little?
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/skulldolphin/prototip2.jpg

evelluchia

evelluchia

i llike both versions they look very cool but theres still a shadow around the blood on the wall blood doesent have that effect when splatered on a wall but over all very cool

??????
Signature

Aiira

Linguistics

Aiira

SOON..

Great job developing the wallpaper :D
I must say continue on the first one. It's getting better and better a lil'bit more work and it should be ready for submission.

Surround the mirror with some frames so it doesn't look like it's out of place, the blood on the mirror soften it up a bit it still look a bit 3D. Make the blood closer to the broken glass.

Now how to represent the chains. Think about it. She wouldn't chain herself now would she? Place something on the wall that would represent the chains or remove it altogether.

Anyways great job. Continue working on this and you should achieve amazing results after :D

Signature
CHERISH yesterday
DREAM tomorrow
LIVE today

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

I agree with Aiira on the things she pointed out; especially the mirror. Another thing I'd suggest is improving the quality of the textures used on the flooring in the first wallpaper. In comparison to the second wallpaper the grunge textures used on the floor appear enlarged/blurry. Find higher quality/higher resolution textures for the floor, like in the second wallpaper.

skulldolphin

skulldolphin

Run to the hills!!! >.<

hey^^ got to work again. I softened the blood next to the mirror and, hopefully, lost the 3D effect for good. also, changed the grudge texture for the first version, so now it should look more in place and clearer. regarding the mirror edges and the chains, I decided to let them be. my story behind the wall is this: she's supposed to be a hostage kept in a rundown building or hospital and the mirror is mainly just a simple piece of glass placed there to remind her constantly that what she's living is real and she can't get out. the chains are strapped to the bed (seen in the reflection) but she managed to break a rusted link and move more freely in the room.
here is the link (http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/skulldolphin/final.jpg).

evelluchia

evelluchia

i see well i think it looks pretty good its come a long way ^-^ it looks more like the old room its sapposed to be ^-^ i juts hope theres going to be a wide screen version ^-^

??????
Signature

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

The mirror and the blood on the wall look pretty good but I think that the blood on the floor looks too strange and unrealistic - it's too bright and looks like it's floating above the floor, you might want to blend that a bit better. Also, you need to add some more shadows on the floor where the girl is, specifically under her feet and those chains. I'd also add some subtle reddish tones to the girl because the whole setting is reddish/brown and right now the secondary lighting on her bottom and things is blue while the floor is reddish so that doesn't really add up. There are some minor artifacts on her as well, you can easily tweak that with some blending modes or blurring.

And last but not least, the resolution is weird - please check MT Policy for the list of acceptable resolutions. And don't forget to add your signature because walls without it risk deletion. Keep it up!

Signature

skulldolphin

skulldolphin

Run to the hills!!! >.<

I've got the latest updates^^ basically, all the details alenas mentioned were taken care of. also resized the wall so it will fit the policy terms:D
luchia-san, can you tell me the dimensions for the wide screen version you would like? I did a little research and there are so many different sizes, I just don't know which one to choose^^ (although I do know that not all the versions found can be applied on my wall).
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/skulldolphin/resized.jpg

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Ah, yes, things look much better now. Also, don't forget to add your signature to the bottom and you can of course make as many resolutions as you wish and upload them separately - after you upload the main resolution, you can click on the 'Update' link (in the right corner above your description) and upload new resolutions by choosing 'Same image, alternate resolution' option. Good luck with your wall and keep it up! :)

Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.