Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is there something doable with this ? - Minitokyo

Is there something doable with this ?

Tagged under The Innocent

page 1 of 1 19 total items

[Edit : I'm currently not working on the wallpaper but on the vector, see below, 13th post]

Hello there.

From the scan here,

I made this :
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7691/wallj0510802copy.th.jpg

I have photoshop for only a few days and I learnt how to use it while doing this : levelling, a bit of pen tool and a lot of clone tool to erase the text of the scan.
Will I be able to make something that match with the quality standards of MT with this ?
I'm afraid the background is of poor quality but I don't really want to change it cause I don't know how to exctract a scan of its background.

Things I want to do with it :
- Add the title somewhere on the left
- plus maybe some text on the left too, I have some words coming to my mind when seeing this scene :)
- vectoring and coloring the tatoo on her back, but for now I'm totally lost with the vectoring part in photoshop (I have learnt this with Inkscape and now I'm trying whith PS but at the speed of a snail)

Anyway, I will finish it for me, and maybe submit it if I'm happy with the result and if someone says that the beginning is not that bad.

Any constructive comment will be appreciated :)

Apply layers to reality.

blitzbullet

blitzbullet

This world is meaningless

http://youtu.be/4ObPrNiu8-Y

a video to help you with vectoring. that video only for eyes, but its pretty much the same for tattoos/bodies. i've seen your other vectors in your indie art. i realise that you should add a few more extra shadow/lighting layers to make it better.

anyway, for some reason i like your current work image.
i believe if you vectored the scan and add colours it will be very nice. how about placing the image in the middle. then add some effects like aura coming out from her (moving outwards). then that black surrounding does fit in bringing in the sense of loneliness in the wall. good luck,. i do hope you could make a great wall out of this coz if you dont, i will :P :P *joke

Signature

i think at the very least is to clean up the bg. if you don't wanna extract a bg you can try to do a typography bg. maybe refer to the typography tag for some ideas.

Signature

Thanks for your answers.
But I think you're asking too much from me xD
Vectoring and coloring the whole scan would take sooo long for me hehe
And yeah putting the scan in the middle is certainly better but that would mean complete the hair and the wings, tough job. Yet I think I'll give it a try...

Hey Blitzbullet, I checked your walls, I like them, even if you're joking I'd love to see what you can do with this ;) feel free to use it. I can give you the "cleaned" scan if you want.

Finally, yes a typograpgic wall is more or less what I want to do but even that I'm not sure of the result.

Apply layers to reality.

blitzbullet

blitzbullet

This world is meaningless

thanks for stopping by :3
i got so many work in progress at the mean time. but i will do one if i got the time. :D
anyway, I'm looking forward to what you can do first. there's not much for the hair but for the wing, i think you can just make it short so there's less work for you :D
Good luck.

Signature

Okay thanks, I'll try my best!

Apply layers to reality.

I'd always recommend this tutorial for vectoring. I think if you vectored the girl after zooming her (re-sizing the scan to make it bigger and closer) and added the text on the right. Then adding a black & gray gradient using the lighten mode would make the wall amazing yet simple. That's my imagination, you can come up with more ideas than me. I just hope this would help you, like giving you a new idea. Anyway, best of luck on this! ^_^.

Signature

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Don't you ever say that vectoring or colouring is asking too much for you. As a fellow experienced artist, I have to say that by saying such thing only lowers yourself to the level of someone that disrespects the hard work that one puts in their art. Too much time? Seriously, how much time do you think any of us put in vectoring? It's hours, and hours of practice. If you want to become a better artist, I suggest you give it a try at the least. A good artist has a decent amount of knowledge and skills on several fields at the least. One must strive for perfection to create something they can be proud of to show to the world, even when it is not liked by the crowd itself.

Anyways, about your wallpaper. The idea is nice, cold black darkness gives off a nice feeling. But to be honest, vectoring this wouldn't be a lot of work if it's only for this wallpaper, and you will have something to practice with. I really like blitzbullet's idea since the original scan is quite beautiful to use for such thing as wallpapers. It's a bit too blunt and empty. There aren't many colours to take away the attention. If you plan to keep it black and white, the art of this is to create a focal point that attracts the eye. This way, it looks a lot less empty and blunt. Making greyscaled artwork takes skill especially in the area of contrast and depth control.

Since you only have Photoshop for a few days, I must say that you need to take your time and keep practicing and polishing your skills. Following tutorials will help you out a lot and boosts the speed of learning new things. It's too soon to start on a big work like a wallpaper. I suggest you start off with signatures, avatars and banners for a couple weeks and try again later when you have gathered new skills.

Thank you for your participation at Minitokyo, I hope you hang around and keep your spirit up and become a great artist. We will be glad to give advice and help those who are in need of it. I take no offense in what said, it's my honest opinion as I have seen a lot of people taking a step that is too big for them. You can't become an adult right away, it takes time, development and experience. If you go too fast, you will most likely fall down as hard as you got to the upper level. It's not as steady as it should be.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

Before reading you post, I had already began vectoring it Valuna.
I'll give it all I can since I'm fascinated with this picture.

Thanks for the links, it helped me a lot.

And yes I will need some help when it will be the time to add the shades, or even coloring it. But first I'm focusing on the outlines.

Apply layers to reality.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Val's slapping people with her oven mitts again lol
Sad thing is that she already pointed out the majority of what I wanted to say.. which mainly was to add a focal point in the wall to attract most of the attention. Testing certain effects such as glowing orbs around the character could be an idea.. though I've not much of a clue how you're expecting to go about making it.
To answer your questions:
- Title could go just slightly below the middle to the left.. or part thereof.
- When doing both title and text.. I suggest the text be rather.. small. From what I know most walls that have text are readable when you try with a magnifying glass.
- You got more than enough Vector advice.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

The wallpaper is pretty much on standby, still I really want her tatoo to be the focal point.
So thanks, i'll keep those suggestions in mind.

Apply layers to reality.

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Darthas: How flattering, thank you Darthas. But like I mentioned, I meant no offense with my post.

If you want her tattoo to be the main vocal point, it's best to give only that part colour since it's a black & white wallpaper. Don't use too dark or too light colours, I think the potential is used the best when you use a quite pure colour. This way it's still the main vocal point when the character should be the vocal point. It's about distracting the eye, so be careful with what you play with.

When you're done with whatever you're working on now, I'll be glad to help you out more. Even so, I still think you should polish your skills a bit more. Being able to do some decent image manipulation in Photoshop enabled you to control colours, lighting and blending which are important aspects.

Signature

Sooo... I did not give up. After countless hours of work, I need help.
And for now it's just about the vector, it's not finished.

Here it is

1. Is it good? Since I did this in a long period of time I sometimes changed my techniques while doing it. There may be strange things, for example some shadows are blurred, some are not. Criticize whatever you like, I'll listen carefully.

2. The character on top is supposed to be finished (minus maybe the color of her tattoo) but not the reflection, the colors are random etc. Here is a big question : how do you suggest to draw a reflection : first draw like it's not a reflection then apply a filter, adjust opacity, things like that so that it looks like a reflection OR choose the colors directly to make it a reflection?

3. Then about the water : maybe I have to do it first then play with opacity for the reflection. I still don't have any idea on how I will make the water and the reflection... suggestions are welcome. (I've quickly checked this and this, could this techniques fit in this vector?)

4. Oh yeah the original scan is here, I had to draw the missing parts (wings and hair), do they look good?

Well, I'm asking a lot of things... you can answer just a part of it of course.
Thanks to those who will take the time to read this~~

Apply layers to reality.

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Oh my! I did not expect such an amazing piece of vector. I'm glad you've been working hard on it.

1. Your technique changes with time and more experience. Don't worry about it, I'm pretty sure it's a better way to work around. I think shadow blur on the skin is fine to do. Maybe you want to reduce the blur a little bit at some points.

2. I'm not very experienced with reflections but I there are some ways to get it right. In this case, the reflection is part of the image itself. You can either seperate the characters from eachother so you can play with the opacity and blending mode while adding colour and all of that. You can also choose to keep it like this and use a layer mask with a grey tone with a hard or soft brush, whichever you prefer to lower the opacity manually. Depending on how you made your vector, the second option can always work out.

3. Leave the editing of the water out until you get to work on the wallpaper itself, meaning that you have finished the vector. There's no need to worry much about the water. If you look at the image itself and just imagine something more blue beneath the girl, it looks a lot like water already. I do think, as a reflection, the angel might be looking a little bit distorted because of the water. You can do that later though.

4. See this image

Asking is good, it will help you improve a lot.

Signature

Quote: You can also choose to keep it like this and use a layer mask with a grey tone with a hard or soft brush

I don't know what are layer masks and hard/soft brush :s so I'll keep the first one :). I'll draw it normally then I'll play with opacity or things like this. Yes the characters are separated in the PSD.

4. Goddammit, I have to redraw the wings... again. But you're right, it should be better like this.

Thank you Valuna
I hope I will be able to finish it- someday~~

Apply layers to reality.

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Quote by blackkfrost 2.

Quote: You can also choose to keep it like this and use a layer mask with a grey tone with a hard or soft brush

I don't know what are layer masks and hard/soft brush :s so I'll keep the first one :). I'll draw it normally then I'll play with opacity or things like this.

4. Goddammit, I have to redraw the wings... again. But you're right, it should be better like this.

Thank you Valuna
I hope I will be able to finish it- someday~~

This is where you can add a layer mask
If you add a layer mask to a layer, it will be connected to the layer it's on. Thing is, it only allows you to use any level of black and white. If you make the whole layer mask black, the image will dissapear. Make it white again, it will appear. It's an easier way to render or just to make certain you don't screw things up by deleting them. With this, you mask those parts. Using a grey tone, means that it will be transparent.

A hard or soft brush...Let's see. I'm pretty certain you know what a brush is in Photoshop. A hard brush is the thick circle you can adjust the size of. It doesn't have any feathering. The soft brush, is the one with the feathering, it's not as hard as the hard brush but rather soft. Depending on what you want, make use of both. I personally love using them.

4. It's not a lot, you can do it. If you think it's better, it's even better to fix it.

I hope you will too. It looks really good so far.

Signature

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Wow, this surely is HUGE improvement from your first post here, glad to see it vectored so nicely!

Valuna pointed it all out rather well so I guess I don't have much to add besides some ideas for the background (like making the reflection 'side' of it in blue sky with clouds if you want an abstract thing) but I suppose we'll come to that later once you tweak the vector. Nice job and keep it up! :3

Signature

Quote by ValunaThis is where you can add a layer mask
If you add a layer mask to a layer, it will be connected to the layer it's on. Thing is, it only allows you to use any level of black and white. If you make the whole layer mask black, the image will dissapear. Make it white again, it will appear. It's an easier way to render or just to make certain you don't screw things up by deleting them. With this, you mask those parts. Using a grey tone, means that it will be transparent.

A hard or soft brush...Let's see. I'm pretty certain you know what a brush is in Photoshop. A hard brush is the thick circle you can adjust the size of. It doesn't have any feathering. The soft brush, is the one with the feathering, it's not as hard as the hard brush but rather soft. Depending on what you want, make use of both. I personally love using them.

Oh, I had never noticed the harness option in brushes o_O In fact I still know little things with Photoshop, I'm familiar with the pen tool but that's almost it. Thanks for the tips!

Quote by alenasWow, this surely is HUGE improvement from your first post here, glad to see it vectored so nicely!

Valuna pointed it all out rather well so I guess I don't have much to add besides some ideas for the background (like making the reflection 'side' of it in blue sky with clouds if you want an abstract thing) but I suppose we'll come to that later once you tweak the vector. Nice job and keep it up! :3

Indeed there's nothing to compare with my first vectors x)
Sounds to be intersting ideas but also new difficulties hehe

Thanks to both of you for your kind words and encouragements.

Apply layers to reality.

jakuro

jakuro

殁 4 LIFE

That vector is g-g-g-gorgeous. As a fellow ex-denier of vectoring, I find peace with you. I got similar speeches about vectoring and got frustrated XD. I'm so happy to see you take to the water like a mother----ing duck, I can't wait to see more out of you!

Signature
::wake up in a dying world looking like the antidote::

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.