Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why doesn't MT allow PNG files? - Minitokyo

Why doesn't MT allow PNG files?

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Wslasher

Wslasher

Lone Samurai

I honestly been saving all my artwork as .jpg for the past year(s). But recently, I realized that some people prefer .png. I never really understood it: Does it have a higher quality? Does it save more space saving in that format? I dunno but most people on Deviantart & even Pixiv are using .png formats.

So let me ask to why doesn't MT allow .png format artworks?

5D's Caption: Vol.1

Sheqel

Administrator

Sheqel

On Minitokyo only vectors would really benefit from the png format, perhaps png suppor tcan be added at some point.

Wslasher

Wslasher

Lone Samurai

Quote by SheqelOn Minitokyo only vectors would really benefit from the png format, perhaps png suppor tcan be added at some point.

Exactly, most Indy Art in MT consist of vector traces anyway. Been meaning to convert my files to PNG but because I also upload here, I'm saving my files as JPG instead to comply w/ MT standards (& I hate saving files w/ the same content but has different format).

Raffachan

Linguistics

Raffachan

A.A.A. Free Time Searching

png support can be really useful :) I always save my works like png, but since I entered on MT, I have to save the .jpg form, too >.<
It's not really a big problem, but it will be good if we can have the "choice" to upload a .jpg or .png file, plus we can upload files with a trasperent background, and it will be very nice sometimes :)
If the problem is that files will be to heavy, you could give a maximun of .png files size that we can upload...couldn't it will be a good compromise? :3

Wslasher

Wslasher

Lone Samurai

Quote by Raffachanpng support can be really useful :) I always save my works like png, but since I entered on MT, I have to save the .jpg form, too >.<
It's not really a big problem, but it will be good if we can have the "choice" to upload a .jpg or .png file, plus we can upload files with a trasperent background, and it will be very nice sometimes :)
If the problem is that files will be to heavy, you could give a maximun of .png files size that we can upload...couldn't it will be a good compromise? :3

But aint PNG files a bit smaller compared to JPG anyway?

Raffachan

Linguistics

Raffachan

I don't think so...I always know that .jpg files are "compressed" so they are more light than .png that are "uncompressed" files..but I could be wrong o.o

Furiz

Furiz

Coloring rainbows.. with a knife

jpg 4ever cause png is usually 5x bigger but ofcourse these days wallpapers can reach the size of 2mb+ in jpg format [ 2560x1600 i mean ] i mention that cause of the amount of pictures we keep in our HDs and i mean thousands, like at very least 10th thousands. Besides the quality loss should NOT be visible if you are not streching the wallpaper.
I'd prefer if MT didn't use any other format besides JPG cause i would have to re-save every single image i'd download from your website :)
it'd be... uncomfortable :)

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Raffachan

Linguistics

Raffachan

But we don't ask to use ONLY png, but that we can ALSO upload .png files...Anyway for who made that images that your downloads, will be more comfortable to have this new possibility :)
They are differents point of views...
But for the reason I wrote " maybe you can allowed it, but only if the .png file will not be more than xx mb "...:)

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

The PNGs are certainly more 'heavy' than JPGs but I agree that they would be a desirable aspect on MT, particularly when it comes to vectors being submitted to the Indy Art section. PNGs support transparency so it would be a lot easier for members to just use them, instead of extracting them again from the JPGs.

Perhaps there could be an option for submitting PNGs if you're submitting vectors to Indy Art only and maybe in certain size boundaries so we could avoid huge image files...but that's up to Bossu. *nudgenudge* XD

Signature

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

Any more thought about implementation for pngs? I was going to be un lazy and upload some vectors, but I don't feel like having to resize and convert all my stuff over to smaller jpgs.

I'm saving my files as JPG instead to comply w/ MT standards

page 1 of 1 11 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.