Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Tagging Guidelines - Minitokyo

Tagging Guidelines

This thread is pinned.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 39 total items

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

Hey all~
This is a guide for proper tagging. Beware, it's going to be long and very detailed.

Some of you might remember that long time ago, MT used to have categories. However, this wasn't a very effective method of categorization, so a tagging system was introduced to replace these categories and serve as a more effective search engine.
Since the main purpose of the tag system is to serve as a search engine, it is important to keep in mind that you should only tag what you see. For instance, let's say a character is portrayed with their eyes closed, then you should not tag the eye colour. This especially applies to monochrome submissions. If you see monochrome submissions with any colour tag included, please report it by posting in the Tag Administration Thread
The "tag only what you see" guideline also applies to submissions drawn by a different mangaka or studio than the official artist for that series. Submissions should not list two mangaka tags, so when this happens, please use the report function.

Why proper tagging is important
Don't think you're making more work for us, Taggers, by adding the correct tags. Don't get us wrong, we always feel delighted when you do, but we enjoy it mainly because most of us have a certain degree of OCD lol.
With proper tagging, you're actually helping the community.
Having the right tags help wallers to find their resources or collectors to look for their favourite characters!

There are some tags that are crucial to be set so MT's filters can properly work: ecchi & the idols tags.

Remember to separate tags with a comma (,) and not a period (.) when tagging submissions!
But overall, when you're not sure about what tag should be added, please refrain from adding the tag. Better safe than sorry :3

What if you want exclude a certain character or attribute? Just enter whatever you’re looking for and enter - (insert tag you want to exclude here) An example: Saber, -Rin Tosaka. The results will filter out all scans tagged with the Rin Tosaka tag.

Tag types

Tags are, by default, created as themes. If you create a tag that is not a theme, please post these tags in the Tag Administration Thread so our taggers can take care of it.

There are many different types of tags, so let’s see a brief explanation of them:

a) Mangaka: A mangaka is the artist. Sometimes, a mangaka can be confused with the writer of the series, but at MT we only consider the artist and not the writer, so please don’t create tags for the writer of a series.

b) Studio: A company in charge of the animation or production of a series. ANN is a great place to look for them. Games and Visual Novels should be listed under their developer and not under their publisher.

c) Series: Serialized animations, manga, or manwha. MT does not distinguish between anime, manga, or light novel-- they are all set as series.

d) Games: Minitokyo only allows games that have been released in Japan.

e) Visual Novel: An interactive game featuring mostly static graphics. Sometimes it features videos. See VNDB for more information.

f) Artbook: An artbook is a compilation of pictures under a mangaka, series, or even a topic.

g) Character: Self-explanatory.

h) J-pop Idol: A Japanese celebrity. They may be a singer, model, voice actor, or actor/actress.

i) K-pop Idol: Seeing how many K-pop artists are now crossing over and releasing Japanese language tracks of their songs/albums, MT decided to include a tag type for these idols. Please note that MT allows only idols that have debuted in Japan, meaning, released an album, single under a Japanese company.

j) Source: Media where the image is taken from.

k) Theme: Default tag type. Used for attributes like hair colour, gender, etc.

l) Meta: A tag type used for concepts or indexing purposes. Can't be added.

Note that there are more tag types but they are a combination of the tags listed above (i.e Series, Games tag type).

Tag Hierarchy
For organization purposes, tags are put under other tags to let users know where the tag belongs. It can also be used to set attributes for characters.
Series get parented under their mangaka and/or studios.
Characters get parented under their series and attributes.
Artbooks get parented under their series or mangakas.

Please note that appending Apparel is not recommended, as clothing may vary from submission to submission. This also includes inconstant hair or eye colour.

Aliases
Aliases are meant for alternative names or mispellings.
Mispelled names or inversed orders names (MT uses FirstName LastName for mangaka and characters' name) are normally hidden from Regular Members so in order to check if the alias has already been set, please search using the alias you want to add.
Alternative names are shown to regular members.

Merging
Merging refers to the action of combining tags. This action can be used to deal with mispellings, aliases, etc. That being said, tags don't get deleted; they normally get merged with the correct term.
You may have heard the staff talking about "nulling tags". Tags merged with the Null tag can't be added. They're normally gibberish or very random tags that won't work for searching purposes. Staff often refers to the Null tag as the MT Tag Dumpster.

Removing tags
Anyone can add or create tags. But only staff members and the uploaders can remove tags from submissions. If you notice a misplaced tag please report the submission in question requesting the wrong tags to be removed or post it at the Tag Administration Thread.

Primary Tags
The primary tag depicts the main subject of a submission. Normally, the primary tag should be the name of the series. The same rule goes for games and visual novels.
Character tags should NOT be set as primary tags.
When a submission belonging to a particular series is drawn by a different mangaka, the mangaka tag should be the primary tag.

The Unidentified tag should be used only in cases where there is no information on the submission, if the artbook is tagged, then you should not add the unidentified tag.

Bad Tagging
Of course, seeing how anyone can create tags, the tagging system is vulnerable to abuse. While these cases are extreme, bad tagging is as serious as spamming or submitting ripped artwork. Any member who does not follow the guidelines will get a warning. Bad tagging may lead to a restriction of tagging privileges.

Posting in the tag admin thread
This is one of the most important things of this thread. There's a certain way to request tags to be processed at MT and you're expected to follow the guidelines so we can process your post correctly. We're trusting you to provide accurate information on characters, studios, series, etc, because there's no way that we, staff, know everything about anime.

Please note that keeping MT organized involves the whole community, so we are hoping to keep working with you all!

If you have any doubts, please use this thread, it might be helpful for other members!

<3~
- The Tagging Team.

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

Masakado

Masakado

* Warrior of Light *

Thanks for the INF ^^ its helpful indeed ^^

*"*Money is Not Everything in The World*"*
Signature

Yamibou-Eve

Tagger

Yamibou-Eve

brace yourselves

It's so beautiful...
A big round of applause everyone!

This will surely help the newbie as well as veteran taggers. :)

Tags don't fix themselves or disappear just bc you removed them >> Report@Tag Administration | Tagging Practices | Tagging Guidelines
my-maidenclamp-a-holictag-liciousSignature Image

leonskxxx

leonskxxx

Everything is connected..

Thanks Fran! We will be very helpful n_n

Signature

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

"Fate, up against your will."

Excellent guide! This is probably the sexiest most beautiful thing in the forums right now. :')

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

Nice Guideline, Thanks!

nice...^^
thanks a lot Fran-san...

this will help the newbies (include me) ... b^^d

wanna be friendly with anyone

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Don't get us wrong, we always feel delighted when you do, but we enjoy it mainly because most of us have a certain degree of OCD lol. --> WIN. XD

Awesome post, Fran! Helpful and easy to understand. :3

Signature

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Mmmm, OCD feeding...

Great work on getting these out, Fran. I know time is something we all struggle with, so I'm glad that you were able to devote what time you could, despite doing so much, to provide us with some very helpful guidelines.

Tagging team, you rock my world.

Signature Image

This is very helpful! Thanks Fran. :D

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

This will help a lot of members and maybe encourage some new members to try tagging! ^_^

Signature Image

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Yay! Now even people like me can understand tagging, lol. I do have one question, though:

Quote: d) Games: Minitokyo only allows games that have been released in Japan.

Does this mean that it needs to have been developed in Japan or by the Japanese? Or does this imply that foreign games released in Japan are also acceptable? I would assume the former and I know we've talked about this before, but I just wanted to double check again.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

Thanks for this Thread !

C'est utile, pertinent et bien présenté.

I consider MT among the best anime web sites for it's clean and clear, not over loaded with ads and there is an overall regularity (constance) in the organization & maintenance... And it's content is great...

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Quote by SnickerdoodleNinjaYay! Now even people like me can understand tagging, lol. I do have one question, though:

Quote: d) Games: Minitokyo only allows games that have been released in Japan.

Does this mean that it needs to have been developed in Japan or by the Japanese? Or does this imply that foreign games released in Japan are also acceptable? I would assume the former and I know we've talked about this before, but I just wanted to double check again.

Pretty sure it's only games MADE by Japanese. Such as Street Fighter , Monster Hunter , Metal Gear Solid , Oneechanbara ( Oh my , why did I mention this? ) , Dead or Alive , Final Fantasy... you get the idea. If it's - for example - Minecraft , which is made by English developers and RELEASED into the Japanese markets - I don't really think it's applicable :P
For one , I've never seen a single game of English origins having a tag around here :X

evelluchia

evelluchia

Lu-Lu the friendship officer

thank you very much for sharing this inforamtion it really helps out alot with whats the most appropreate tags and also how to properly create a tag

??????
Signature
become a member of minitokyos newest happy family HERE
join the group web site HERE

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Quote by z827
Pretty sure it's only games MADE by Japanese. Such as Street Fighter , Monster Hunter , Metal Gear Solid , Oneechanbara ( Oh my , why did I mention this? ) , Dead or Alive , Final Fantasy... you get the idea. If it's - for example - Minecraft , which is made by English developers and RELEASED into the Japanese markets - I don't really think it's applicable :P
For one , I've never seen a single game of English origins having a tag around here :X

mmkay, I'm going to go with that. I figured as much, but the wording made me wonder, and I wanted to clarify in case any other members are as slow as I am, and since certain foreign musical artists are allowed if they debut in Japan. >.>

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Nay , it isn't a matter of slowness - just a matter of misinterpretation :P
Still , I've always wondered why MT doesn't want the tagging of the writer of the series. I guess it's because we're an image site but still.... :X

Anyways , it's good to see that there is an addition of Visual Novel tags. I'm not going to be a smartarse but I'll describe the tag more to avoid confusion with LIGHT NOVELS.

Visual Novels are essentially - as mentioned - static games which involves CG sprites of characters and artwork for certain scenarios.
Their essentially "games" which requires little to no effort from the player as they listen , as well as read , through conversations and descriptions made in the game itself. Though occasionally , they may come across a point of which they may need to make a decision which may affect the overall flow of the plot - leading to alternate endings and possibilities. Though there are also Visual Novels known as "Kinetic Novels" which requires no choice making whatsoever.
Visual Novels may also offer animated graphics from time to time - though such instances aren't common.
Voice acting is also absent in most of the older Visual Novels.
It is also to be noted that most Visual Novels contains mature themes and are of various content - some of which may prove distasteful and even immoral whilst others can be plot-heavy or even romantic.

Light Novels , on the other hand , are actual BOOKS which - as it suggests - are light reads and may offer images from time to time in certain pages.
Series such as Spice and Wolf originates from Light Novels and is not to be confused with Visual Novels - which are actual games.
It is not uncommon for Light Novels to have an... Anime-ish storyline and they do have Anime portraits as their front cover.
As a side note : Spice and Wolf have a DS Visual Novel :P

So please do not confuse Light Novels with Visual Novels - their a world apart. Well , other than the fact that you'd need to read for both of them anyway.
Hope this helps :X

minamiyukihimenonaka

minamiyukihimenonaka

taken account!

Useful information ;), no more miss-tagging :), deletion coz not proper tag aren't funny

going lower surpass the higher.

Kritty

Tagger, Scanner

Kritty

[ S H O C K A D E L I C A ]

Lawl, OCD Taggers? Never...... >__>
In relation to the "tag what you see" are we still attaching superficial attributes to character tags?
Just filtering out unnecessary ones using (-) when adding character tags?
Also is there any chance of Taggers being able to remove tags from submissions and/or changing primary tags? =] Pretty please?

tag-licious
Help keep MT organized <3
I'll give you cookies :3

Thank you for posting this. ^^
I didn't know about that '-' sign to exclude tags and that thing about Null tag (and neither about bad tagging... -_-")
edit: Stupid! stupid! stupid! I just got the wrong meaning of the tag exclusion thing... >.< Sorry.
It's not for taggers! But it's a very good search feature

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

hitsu-chan

hitsu-chan

K-PoP AdDicTioN <3

thank you for the information! indeed it was long... lol! but it was worth it! ;D

Signature
make-your-best ecchi-club host-club bleach-central tsubasa s20-signaturestudio

Daydreamer1

Daydreamer1

V2FFTB

I wonder when did i read such a long NOTE?.. yeah right, the time when i read the TERMS OF AGREEMENT.
But nice.. it is gonna be very helpful and will definitely be an improving cause.

Li-Shezaar

Li-Shezaar

The Light of Hope

Thanks a lot Fran-sama. It will help me a lot!

Furiz

Furiz

Coloring rainbows.. with a knife

Could somebody explain me the tag "Member-art" correctly?
my idea of it, drawing smth on a plain paper without a base for assistance as it doesn't matter if its original or the characters are borrowed from series or game
one of my wallies has been tagged as member art and i don't know if i should remove it >> this one Shallwe...?

also thx for the headline fran :)

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 39 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.