Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Spice & Wolf Awakening - hi rated wall deleted..why? - Minitokyo

Spice & Wolf Awakening - hi rated wall deleted..why?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

Why was this deleted after being up for well over a year and getting much positive feedback?

It is a nice wall that many liked...so what's the point in deleting it?

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Please note that getting a lot of comments, faves and downloads doesn't equal good wallpaper quality; for example - I've seen a lot of ecchi wallpapers or wallpapers featuring popular series/characters that received a ton of faves and downloads but the quality still wasn't good and they were deleted. The amount of faves and downloads hence may not always be an indicator that something is of good quality.

As for the wallpaper, I took a look at and it was deleted due to 'Wallpaper Quality' - besides rotating the original scan and stamping out the text, not much was done to it and it shows in the still grainy and blurry aspects of it when full viewed.

Signature

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

"Fate, up against your will."

As alenas stated, wallpapers, despite the amount of time they've spent on the site, or how many favorites/comments/downloads they've recieved get deleted if they do not meet gallery requirements. This has happened to even some of the most immensely popular wallpapers.

As for your wallpaper, more definitive edits would've prevented the wallpaper from deletion. An example of this would be your Queen's Blade wallpaper - when it's compared to the scan you utilized for it, the changes in composition and quality are instantly able to be seen.

You might've wanted to preserve the overall look of the original scan, but there was still some room for improvement.

I hope these explanations were helpful.

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

Quote by alenasPlease note that getting a lot of comments, faves and downloads doesn't equal good wallpaper quality; for example - I've seen a lot of ecchi wallpapers or wallpapers featuring popular series/characters that received a ton of faves and downloads but the quality still wasn't good and they were deleted. The amount of faves and downloads hence may not always be an indicator that something is of good quality.

As for the wallpaper, I took a look at and it was deleted due to 'Wallpaper Quality' - besides rotating the original scan and stamping out the text, not much was done to it and it shows in the still grainy and blurry aspects of it when full viewed.

----

So .. are the wall papers here for the benefit of those who like them, or for some other reason?

If the people who view them like them, who are you (not you personally, but whatever idiot(s) thinks(/) they are the art critic(s) that should be the the quality arbiters for the entire community. Isn't it possible not all have the same tastes? If it was that blurry, or grainy (which I disagree, I have a 2560x1600 30" and a 1920x1080 55" upon which it looks fine as a wall.

It is NOT a scan... where such things have been factors.

But both this and another deleted were deleted after well over a year of being approved. Now, I get the impression that one of the mods is deliberately messing with me just to wind me up and/or get me to leave.

It was 4th in its class in popularity. -- so it didn't just have alot of faves/downloads. It was popular and it wasn't ecchi. It served the community. Yet it is more important to engage in fanciful flights of fancy in reenacting 'lord of the flies'. As for what was done to make it into a wall -- I'm a novice artist is this board now hostile to new artists as well.

It **used*** to be welcoming to new artists...but now we have to be perfect? What's that about?

Has this become no longer a place for newbies and community but some f'ine snob art?

I had another deleted that I'd worked on for months, it wasn't blurred, and it was my first work. Now it isn't good enough ...

You (am NOT talking to you, alenas, personally, as I don't know you so don't take any of this directed against you personally, but if you fit the group, well , welcome to that club and mores the pity), as they make things up that are not true to support whatever policy they want to implement.

In this case, that pic is fine as a wall, and is in my rotations at 2560x16000 .... what size did you look at it at .. magnified?.... It's not a scan...photoes are delibertately blurred to achieve a soft look and that was a deliberate aspect of that wall...to remove it for being artistic or imperfect, is anti-community... and anti-people.

It's anti-human.

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

To offer a bit of perspective as someone who has been an on and off active member of the community close to it's inception, as well as a staff member, I can only say this.

Standards change as time progresses.

With the increase in capabilities in software, as well as the more readily available conveniences such as tablets, wallpapers have seen a huge increase in technique, and talent, since Minitokyo started. In response to this, standards change. Being that Minitokyo isn't so much about being snobby, but rather making itself unique and rewarding those who work hard, not just those who are talented, by providing rules on a foundation.

To sum it up, since standards have increases, the rules have changed. This is simply an aspect of anything in life, as when limits are pushed, the baseline ends up getting raised as well. A lot of older walls, as a result, are being deleted. Does this mean that we no longer care for them or are simply throwing them away? Not at all. They were respected and deeply admired in their time, but times change and so has Minitokyo.

Anyone can sit down and fool around in Photoshop with some brushes and call it artwork, but we want to reward those who are truly passionate about what they do, or those that want to learn more. Like anything in life, you have to crawl before you can walk, and before you can run. I'm not saying your piece is like that, but I'm simply stating that the standards of Minitokyo have changed since the update of the policy. Honestly speaking, I'm in the crawl-walk-run category as well. I've got walling knowledge based around what was done back in 2005, and I really want to do something, but I refuse to even submit anything until I have a proper understanding of the current foundation. It's not a standard, it's my choice, but I hope this helps you understand a bit better.

Signature Image

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

First of, I want to thank you for a well written and polite response.

So thanks!

However, there are a few points that seem to be confusing, or in need of clarification, as they appear to be rather large departures from previous policies, yet no announcements have been made, and no site redesign has happened, nor have any announcements been made about the website's purpose and direction changing.

Comments interspersed.

Quote by CyanideBlizzard
Standards change as time progresses.

With the increase in capabilities in software, as well as the more readily available conveniences such as tablets, wallpapers have seen a huge increase in technique, and talent, since Minitokyo started.

----

I think anyone creating walls has probably done so with a tablet, except in rare circumstances.

I don't see this has changed in any time frame that Minitokyo has existed.

Quote: Being that Minitokyo isn't so much about being snobby, but rather making itself unique and rewarding those who work hard, not just those who are talented, by providing rules on a foundation.

----

But does that mean those who are talented, skilled are discriminated against? Does it mean those who are not as talented or are new, are now excluded?

Quote: To sum it up, since standards have increases, the rules have changed.

----

Have the standards changed for the benefit of the users, or the arbitrary application by the
admins. Are the standards published, and when changes are made, are they highlighted so people will know that they have changed?

Quote: This is simply an aspect of anything in life, as when limits are pushed, the baseline ends up getting raised as well.

-----
The site's base mission was for those who loved anime and those who wanted to share it and was open and welcome to novice and beginning artists -- in fact it ***prided*** itself on NOT being snobby or elitist like "some other sites" (which shall remain nameless, but have standard such that more than one person has complained about them in the MT forums)...

Yet now you are saying MT is following their example.

Quote: A lot of older walls, as a result, are being deleted. Does this mean that we no longer care for them or are simply throwing them away? Not at all. They were respected and deeply admired in their time,...

====
And this is shown, how?

Quote: "but times change and so has [XXXX]."

---

The single biggest reason for getting rid of a group of people: "sorry, we are tired of you -- our

preferences have changed", go away now. Thank you for sharing.

Quote: Anyone can sit down and fool around in Photoshop with some brushes and call it artwork, but we want to reward those who are truly passionate about what they do, or those that want to learn more.

---

The site certainly don't seem to be doing that. You seem to reward those who are experts in such, but not passion. Anyone who knows me on this board could not say that I do not have passion about whatI do, but that is usually ***slapped down***. Passion about one's work is NOT encouraged or rewarded, 'expertise' being 'experienced', showing 'professional level work' -- that is what is rewarded. Let's be clear. Do you, of all people, really claim otherwise?

Quote: Like anything in life, you have to crawl before you can walk, and before you can run.

----

Right...and MT was strongly advertised as a place open and inviting to those learning to crawl
and walk -- it wasn't limited to experts -- as there were other sites for that. Now you are saying
MT is becoming another elite site -- the admins making the policy decisions are all experts , so they are expecting the same of everyone else.

I've seen the work of people evolve on here. I know they weren't experts, but got their chance by posting here, works that wouldn't have been accepted with near they praise they got here. Now they are much better, and their works are regarded as the standard. That's nice. So you are saying MT, as a "community nurturing site" is gone. It's now the professional level stuff or don't bother posting? Isn't that what user ratings and comments are for?

If something was rated low, and had low downloads, I could understand a need to recycle space (if that was an issue), but for things the community likes? Who is deciding that the community is wrong? I.e. someone is making policies that don't represent the 'community', but some group of elite users.

Quote:
Honestly speaking, I'm in the crawl-walk-run category as well. I've got walling knowledge based around what was done back in 2005, and I really want to do something, but I refuse to even submit anything until I have a proper understanding of the current foundation. It's not a standard, it's my choice, but I hope this helps you understand a bit better.

More's the pity, since there's no good experience like putting something out there and getting feedback. You are encouraging **NON-participation**, except by the most confident (the "in" or "Elite" clique) or those who don't know any better. I've gotten invaluable feedback from the items I've posted. I'm an ****extremely anal-retentive perfectionist*** when it comes to things I strongly care about. I wouldn't be stretching it much to say that I've NEVER released a final version of something I thought was finished, done, and as good as it could be. Hell George Lucus is still making changes in Star Wars 30 years after the fact, and hoping the old copies will be destroyed with time (his words). Does that mean Star Wars gets deleted or isn't a classic?

But the idea that the 'site's standards' change, is a bit "interesting". Why the concern about echi when it's not a site aimed at younger artists anymore? They aren't going to cut the professional grade. This *was* a site that had a place in the internet community for a wide level of folks. Unfortunately, it seems that the 'Elite' name has gone to people's heads and they really think they are 'elite'. You are elite when you go out and make a name for yourself -- not making walls or playing admin on a glorified BBS for. So NOW, the latest 'elite' and admin crowd is taking the site along with them -- and guess what, **YOU**, Cy, will never feel comfortable posting here, because those elites will always have 3-5 years or more of experience on you, and where ever
you are, they are always gonna have the bar set that far ahead of where you will be -- even worse, because they are getting experience and feedback, but have locked others and newbies out from admission by creating 'minimum artistic standards'.... I.e. They do this, and they are killing what was a community site -- it will no longer serve the experience and age group it did because they 'took' the site, and turned it into something that follows *them* along.

It's become a 'MyClubPage"... hangout where they can pretend to run a site and attract sight see-ers and people who don't know the scene, but it's not really open a open inviting place anymore, now is it?

As for the wall -- newer standards really don't cut it when they don't represent the community. That was a wall that had 'Elite' Status for a while (so I'm told). Before I got politically unpopular. Yeah...an Elite wall now isn't good enough though it was still 4th most popular in it's class for all time d/l's and fav's. People don't d/l and fav crap. (Maybe it it is
'H'chi but that wasn't).

It's is clear this has become a private site where you kiss the current Elite & Admin's ***, -- and simply ***disagreeing*** with them deleting your post in a *casual forum*, is Orwellian redefined, as "aggression toward a moderator"....yeah. any opinion that runs counter to a mod or elite is 'aggression,' *by definition*.

So you are admitting this is no longer a place for those under 18, and seems like any bans on 'H'y are very provincial (as in uptight, Anglo-Saxon types, a large number of which were too uptight for the Brits and came over here to form a theocracy -- which is a point of constant irritation to the rest of us who really wish they'd get back to good old Goddess, pagan and ecstatic ritual where sex was worship and priestesses had sex for money for the church (and then became to be called temple prostitutes and whores)....etc...then that became illegal...bleh! But I'm getting off topic... Just that when you encounter another ugly example of society decay, you are reminded of all the other problems.

Anyway, so MT no longer an entry point, is that what I'm hearing?

And you do realize, that if the standard keep progressing forward at this rate, you'll never be able to post something you do. Another sterile, dead gallery site. Lovely.

Bernouli

Retired Moderator

Bernouli

It's Never Lupus!

Hi Astara, just coming in to say why your wall was deleted. I won't be long winded here, the wall was just simply deleted because it appears to lack effort. Here is the scan: http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/382724. Now look at your wallpaper. All that I can see you did to it was crop it, rotated it, and faded the edges a bit. We just don't see the creativity in that, you could have done a lot more with it. The possibilities are endless, and it seems you just chose to take the easy route by picking a naked girl to which automatically guarantees popularity.

Also, as for receiving much positive feedback.. I see that one of the first comments was actually someone citing you on the lack of effort. It should have been deleted then, but it seems it just slipped through the cracks.

We have quality standards here, if those weren't in place, we'd have billions of simply cropped scans submitted as wallpapers. If someone wanted just the scan in its entirety to be on their desktop, they'd crop it, or right click and set as a background themselves.

So now.. as you will probably post a really long, nit picking, psychoanalyzing, and just plain way too in depth, and argumentative post to this, I will just close the complaint now.

Signature
sheq's neenja mod

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Deletion Appeals | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.