Vectoring Advice/Feedback

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Cancel

I just finished my first indy art and would love to get some feedback on things I can do to improve on this picture and future submittals. I used GIMP to vector the original scan and created the background. I'd love both technical or artistic advice. Thanks a lot.

Here is my piece.

This is the original scan used.

tag-licious anime-fans-united

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Cancel

It's not a bad vector but it could definitely be improved:

- there are some color leakages like in the tips of her hair and the tip of the sword - you might want to remove or erase them.
- Some lines look a bit too jagged and not curvy enough. I'm not very familiar with GIMP so I don't know how its vectoring tool works but I think you should be able to make curves with it, especially in places that demand curvy lines like her hair, legs and clothes.
- the coloring is okay though some shading could use more work like on her shirt; it looks kind of messy or incomplete. Don't know if that was the style intended, though, if it was, my apologies. :3
- the background needs stronger lighting source - by the coloring on the girl we can see that there's a light source coming from her left but the sky is pretty bland and lacking any source of light so you might want to pay attention to that, too

I hope I didn't discourage you with my comments because you're on a good track! Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it soon. Good luck! :)

Signature

Cancel

Quote by alenasIt's not a bad vector but it could definitely be improved:

- there are some color leakages like in the tips of her hair and the tip of the sword - you might want to remove or erase them.
- Some lines look a bit too jagged and not curvy enough. I'm not very familiar with GIMP so I don't know how its vectoring tool works but I think you should be able to make curves with it, especially in places that demand curvy lines like her hair, legs and clothes.
- the coloring is okay though some shading could use more work like on her shirt; it looks kind of messy or incomplete. Don't know if that was the style intended, though, if it was, my apologies. :3
- the background needs stronger lighting source - by the coloring on the girl we can see that there's a light source coming from her left but the sky is pretty bland and lacking any source of light so you might want to pay attention to that, too

I hope I didn't discourage you with my comments because you're on a good track! Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it soon. Good luck! :)

Not discouraging at all. Really excited to try and improve and your comments are a great start. I really struggled trying to get the clothes and skin correct so I appreciate your advice cause I'm trying to figure out how to get better at those parts. I basically drew paths around areas and then filled them in and tried to smooth the edges out with a smudge brush. (I'm guessing those are vectoring tools otherwise I'm not sure what tools I should be using.) I'm sure there are betters ways to do it, but that was all I could think of. Still trying to figure out ways to draw shading in on the clothes as well. But again, thanks for all the constructive feedback! Really appreciate it!

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Cancel

Quote by bdanime05

Not discouraging at all. Really excited to try and improve and your comments are a great start. I really struggled trying to get the clothes and skin correct so I appreciate your advice cause I'm trying to figure out how to get better at those parts. I basically drew paths around areas and then filled them in and tried to smooth the edges out with a smudge brush. (I'm guessing those are vectoring tools otherwise I'm not sure what tools I should be using.) I'm sure there are betters ways to do it, but that was all I could think of. Still trying to figure out ways to draw shading in on the clothes as well. But again, thanks for all the constructive feedback! Really appreciate it!

You're welcome! :)

I found some video tutorials on how to vector in GIMP on YouTube, so maybe you'd like to check it out, I think it would be helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAsr0DnF7lY

Signature

Cancel

Quote by alenas

You're welcome! :)

I found some video tutorials on how to vector in GIMP on YouTube, so maybe you'd like to check it out, I think it would be helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAsr0DnF7lY

Thanks for the link. Just watched the first video and I almost laughed at how unnecessarily complicated I made this vector. Lol. Definitely will use this in the future. Hope they have something on shading as well.

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.