Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 is the word "christmas" a bad word - Minitokyo

is the word "christmas" a bad word

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 33 total items

evelluchia

evelluchia

Lu-Lu the friendship officer

i herd about this a few days ago from a friend and im interisted in everyones thoughts about it if theres any offence about this subject im sorry i dont meen any harm by it im just ceureus and thought it would be an interisting subject

heres what i hurd

apparently some cuntires are planning on making the name of one of our favorite and beloved halidays christmas and making saying it politically incorrect

for example saying merry christmas would be considerd wrong instead it would be happy halidays (i understand both)

its apparently something to do with the Muslim population of these cuntires beleave christmas really is though i really dont understand myself and i dont look down on anyone or any religens

well my question is why would the word christmas be politicly incorrect whats your thoughts i would love to here from members of the muslim community as well as others

this isent intended to offend anyone or start a fight with anyone its just an interisting subject that i would love to find out more about and im sure others would too so please keep things within the MT policy and i hope we get to lern some interisting things ^-^

??????
Signature
become a member of minitokyos newest happy family HERE
join the group web site HERE

MisaSasekage

MisaSasekage

War Queen

Wow I didn't know that...

Dreadwave

Dreadwave

Hunter of snark bait.

Really? From what I hear it's the groups of loud atheists lobbying to make Christmas in predominantly christian nations into a politically incorrect term because they have nothing better to do with their time.

I guess I have an advantage over most people. At least I know I'm not getting a happy ending.Signature Image

back07

back07

Awakening MODE

Like Misa...
i didn't know it too..

I can't be the best without you by my side, back07
Signature

Princess-Sophitia

Princess-Sophitia

Goddess of the Sea

Sounds like Dreadwave nailed it, because Christmas being the way it is isn't hurting anybody o.o;

Signature Image "I know I'm not strong, but I'm cute!"- Italy, Hetalia: Axis Powers

Lelouch-Cat

Lelouch-Cat

Death is only the beginning

Well at my school, we do not talk about religions, just so we don't affend those who do not believe in God or just have different believes, I know someone high and mighty people in the US tried to take "one nation, under God" out of our pledge of allegiance..... They got chewed out, so ya

Little vampire, little vampire my lovely white knight, let me see you tonight with your fangs ready to bite. Little vampire, little vampire oh how my heart aches for you, I wish to wake by your side every time I awake. Little vampire, little vampire I see you in my dreams, our screams of delight as we chase one another. Little vampire, little vampire why do you torture me so, I don't want you to let go, though you know the danger grows. Little vampire, little vampire will I be safe in your arms, until our time comes will I be safe in your arms? Little girl, little girl just lay your head, come next night all will be alright. -by: Me

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

I want to start off saying that I don't mean to sound like I'm angry or disrespectful with what I'm about to say; I just tend to come across more forceful on this sort of thing. ^^;

To be honest, I don't see how having it named Christmas hurts anyone. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to celebrate it. I know my family doesn't celebrate the holiday religously-not because we don't believe in Christ, but because the origins aren't really Christian-but we don't throw a fit over it. (I dunno, maybe we should, but it seems like there are other things to be trying to change.) Besides, the alternative isn't much better. I could be mistaken on this, but I believe Holiday comes from HOLYday, so it still has religious connotations.

Neat topic, luchia!

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

evelluchia

evelluchia

it seems theres many opinions and things seems to be getting interisting ^-^ lets see about some other opinions on this

thanks snicker-chan ^-^

??????
Signature

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Wow...I also didn't know about this.

Well, I'm not a religious person (in that 'I worship/believe in this or that god' way) but I also agree that I don't really mind the word Christmas and as Snicker has pointed out, the origins of it don't even come from Christianity. People who don't or don't want to celebrate it, simply don't and that's that - I also don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm actually more concerned about the way Christmas is being perceived today in a social way - contaminated with consumerism - rather than in any religious or non-religious way. o__o

Signature

kuchukuTulip

kuchukuTulip

proud to be a muslim!

I am a Muslim and I didnt know if its politically wrong or not XD I havent never hear or seen anyone be offended by it.

Chloe

Retired Moderator

Chloe

てめら~!!

This isn't really new news here in Canada, it's actually been discussed for a long time.

The thing is, nowadays people want to be (or want to seem) more sensitive and politically correct when it comes to religion. So when you say "Merry Christmas" to, say, a muslim, it's seen as offensive because they do not celebrate that holiday. It's more proper to say "Happy Holidays".

I know that in some stores in certain provinces/cities in Canada, we're not even allowed to put up Christmas decorations or Christmas trees! At the store were I work, my managers don't want to put up any decorations because people complain.

Now the question becomes: if we can't put up decorations because it offends you and your religion, aren't YOU offending MY religion by not allowing me to celebrate my holiday?

Signature Image
Like video game posters? Click on my signature image!
Latest wallpaper: Red Ninja

Lelouch-Cat

Lelouch-Cat

Death is only the beginning

Oh I just remembered about this, it is written on a notebook I have.
"God loved the world so much that he gave his only son. John 3:16
This message is illegal in 53 countries.
Restricted nations: 40
Hostile areas: 13
It quite shocked me, thought I would share

Little vampire, little vampire my lovely white knight, let me see you tonight with your fangs ready to bite. Little vampire, little vampire oh how my heart aches for you, I wish to wake by your side every time I awake. Little vampire, little vampire I see you in my dreams, our screams of delight as we chase one another. Little vampire, little vampire why do you torture me so, I don't want you to let go, though you know the danger grows. Little vampire, little vampire will I be safe in your arms, until our time comes will I be safe in your arms? Little girl, little girl just lay your head, come next night all will be alright. -by: Me

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

here's the low down. not only are they wanting to take out and change the holiday they are also wanting to change the songs around. Deck the halls they are wanting to change "gay appeal" to "bright appeal" all because kids are snickering and laughing and immature about a word that is taken out of context. the word in that reference is happy appeal. I mean disney even uses the word proudly, but history much change. and they are changing around the christmas to either xmas, or happy holidays well, as mentioned, people of different faiths or those that don't even know what the religion is. I celebrate it to a degree, I don't do it because of "religion" I like gift giving and the time to be with family and friends and due to the most recent thing of people in America having religions that don't practice it or those that are insulted due to it they are changing it. The Wiccans, Witches and other lesser "pagan" religions like Druids they don't even celebrate it in that fashion and feel that they are being robbed of having to call it by it's name it's known as now.

There are several "parents" and "old school" radicals that are so upset and getting quite hostile over this change, and some social networking sites people are threatening to remove people if they use xmas and shorten it, heck I've been shortening it for quite some time now mostly due to less to say/type. I feel if "you" know the reason for the season why be so hostile over what others are wanting to call it and/or change it to. you can't stop history and change, if we could then we wouldn't be in this state to begin with. it could be linked to immaturity, it could be linked to other religions or lack of it being in a religion, it's just so many contributing factors but there will be change shortly. we often do not agree with change but we get it all the same, either it being good or bad.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

tsuyutsuki

tsuyutsuki

The comeback (?)

For Brazil, I can freely say this is not an issue. The country counts with the biggest relative population of Christians in the world (I think), due to it's population size itself and the fact that all the religious minorities all very small. Even if there are Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish and Afro-Brazilian Religion Branches around the country, they don't have all the weight needed to face Catholicism in such way. What could eventually bring about something related to it is the constantly growing number of Atheists, but, like I said, that's not likely to happen at all, therefore, Christmas will still be Christmas for quite a while.

Avatar and Signature design by xxKurumi
Signature

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

yeah that could be what's gotten so many Americans upset, due to Christianity being the largest religion of the USA and people are wanting to change things there. but this is the same country that is wanting to take off 'in god we trust' on their paper money and other various things due to possibly the same related issues of being more politically correct. to me, Christianity and other 'christ' related things have been affiliated with the USA since 1776 I don't understand the push, this time around, to be more politically correct. I've seen this stuff all my life, granted other countries don't celebrate it or even know about it. But there again I get strange looks because of my religious practices on "their" "off" months, so I guess this could be also to bring down some of the racism and judging? which neither isn't going anywhere any time soon. society is getting more and more confusing, not to mention more and more frightful in their idea of change

BuBbLeS!

Signature

kuchukuTulip

kuchukuTulip

proud to be a muslim!

In the Muslim countries I live in, I have lived in Pakistan and U.A.E, Christmas is Celebrated, Every Muslim And Christian Holiday is celebrated and there is minority of Christan in both countries and I see Christmas decorations put up in Shopping malls and even having Christmas sales and parties everywhere.

Dreadwave

Dreadwave

Hunter of snark bait.

Quote by angelxxuan but this is the same country that is wanting to take off 'in god we trust' on their paper money and other various things due to possibly the same related issues of being more politically correct. to me, Christianity and other 'christ' related things have been affiliated with the USA since 1776 I don't understand the push, this time around, to be more politically correct. I've seen this stuff all my life, granted other countries don't celebrate it or even know about it. But there again I get strange looks because of my religious practices on "their" "off" months, so I guess this could be also to bring down some of the racism and judging? which neither isn't going anywhere any time soon. society is getting more and more confusing, not to mention more and more frightful in their idea of change

Actually the "In god we trust" motto was inserted in 1956 during the whole McCarthyism fiasco era. The actual problem is that the Federal government "violated" the Constitution by making it a law to use it thus the separation of church and state got called into question. The USA is a predominately Christian nation but secularism trumps it.

I like "E pluribus unum"(out of many,one) better. Change happens in generations it's never instantaneously.

Quote by Chloe

Now the question becomes: if we can't put up decorations because it offends you and your religion, aren't YOU offending MY religion by not allowing me to celebrate my holiday?

Same logic applies to reverse racism.

I guess I have an advantage over most people. At least I know I'm not getting a happy ending.Signature Image

Legionary

Legionary

Ramen Loving

I think the problem is when someone from the goverment says Merry Christmas, some will call foul because they see it as a recognition of the Christian religion and think it's breaking the seperation of Church and state.
While others, for some reason, feel very bothered if Christian values aren't at the top of the government agenda. =P

I think saying Happy Holidays makes sense since there is more than just Christmas being celebrated around this time. Hannukah and Kwanza are being celebrated too, I think.

Signature
"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me" - MB20

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

MT Age: 50 Dog Years

One might wonder why they're so sensitive about the word itself... ^^; Though I guess it would be strange to go up to someone who doesn't celebrate say, Hanukkah, and go "Happy Hanukkah!" Reaction: "Huh?" ...Doesn't warrant full banning though, does it?

I never knew it was such an issue in Canada though. :o

lol, my family personally didn't really celebrate Christmas gift-giving and church-going much at all, but Christmas is a big holiday in Malaysia, Islamic country it is and all. Commercially, at least. ;P Christmas sales, eff yeah.

Having said that, every now and then, someone makes a big hullaballoo about Muslims even taking the slightest part in Christmas celebrations -- A Malay singer sang an English jazz song about Christmas; instant hissing and spitting from the Malay community about betrayal of Muslim morals and shizzle. >_>
This rant needs to be in smaller font, tee hee.

Meanwhile, we have this thing going where our races and cultures 'share' practices and are supposedly supposed to slowly assimilate into each other.. Chinese New Year's red packets? The Muslims have it too in theirs - in green. Fireworks? At every possible celebration, Hari Raya (both of them. I think not the fasting one though lol), Deepavali, Chinese New Year, Christmas, Mooncake festival, Exams are over, gawd finally - lol. And ofc commercial boom.

Well, it's nice to celebrate things together. It's nice to find common ground. Fireworks and floating lanterns are awesome, though a bit stupid to let off continuously when there're airplanes flying overhead lol. Just, wish they'd stop being so contradictory with which political agenda to pull - "Everyone in harmony, same same!" "But of course the (fill-in-name-of-race/state/religion) have special rights. And you don't. ಠ_ಠ Stop talking already or jail." "Everyone, you are now Malaysian!1! Ditch your Chinese/Indian/etc.-ness. ONE OF US." "Muslims are the Boss. Christmas - no touchee. no. nuh uh" ..... Evidently, topics like these bother me a bit. xD

Make up your mind, politicians. ;_; And let us celebrate in peace. It's a world-wide holiday, no matter what the name is.

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

Chochibico

Chochibico

Far away ~

Well , that's the first time I hear such a thing O.o"
In Egypt , I see Christmas decorations in every single store ,
I don't think it's prevented around here , though Most people here are Muslims

Ok , I wouldn't deny .. Some Muslims take it seriously , they don't like celebrating any festivals even " Birthday "
But , I , as a Muslim , don't take it that way ..

Though I don't celebrate Christmas , but let people celebrate what they believe in any time ,
that's what my religion says , not all this " Incorrect or prohibited " thing OO"

Everyone should have religion rights , They should celebrate or even pray the way they believe in ..
We're no Gods to judge them =="

Quote: if we can't put up decorations because it offends you and your religion, aren't YOU offending MY religion by not allowing me to celebrate my holiday?

You know , no one should really offend the other ..
People have their own beliefs , and I have my own ..
That's the way life should be , but who hears ? =\

This is all what I wanted to say =)
Thanks luchia for being interested =]

Signature
anime-fans-united vampire-knight

evelluchia

evelluchia

by what everyone is saying this issue seems to be mainly in canada and the US though i did here a roomer here in japan (i dont think anything is going to happen though)

maybe its just the western governments trying to change the name and this is the excuse im begining to wonder if this is what really is going on here remember the economy not being string this could be a possible way for them to eliminate christmas and eliminate dept i dont care about any of that leave christmas alone its not just about the gifts its also about family and spending time with them and your friends and also a time to relax and enjoy your self ^-^

(no offence ment to any westerners)

also the funny thing is most if not all muslim cuntires celibrate it so why is there a big commotion about it in the US and canada? this is all a bit strange to me it seems that this commotion originates in the US and Canada though why do they want to make christmas politicly incorrect there making a big deal out of the name of a holiday when theres people starving and suffering in their own cuntires that instead of spending all this money on trying to change a holiday name and spend it ware the money is better needed like feeding the hungry and sheltering the homeless T-T really its just a easy way to get out of paying for more important things

and with this whole thing going on the other religins will get upset and thanks to this silly change whats next a war? the name christmas has been the name for many years and generations and it was perfectly fine for hundreds of years and now why change something that works and has been working for years its really nothing but the fact that they are trying to find a way to start another argument and drama

why cant it be left alone T-T

??????
Signature

ZEUSSHADOW

ZEUSSHADOW

Dark Heart

There's supposed to freedom of belief.

Quote:
if we can't put up decorations because it offends you and your religion, aren't YOU offending MY religion by not allowing me to celebrate my holiday.

I'm a Christian, and I'm sorry if my beliefs offends you, no one has the right to impose their beliefs on others.

I have no reason to explain anything to you...Dragon Strike

evelluchia

evelluchia

Quote by ZEUSSHADOWThere's supposed to freedom of belief.

Quote:
if we can't put up decorations because it offends you and your religion, aren't YOU offending MY religion by not allowing me to celebrate my holiday.

I'm a Christian, and I'm sorry if my beliefs offends you, no one has the right to impose their beliefs on others.

thats true but theres also the freedum of opinion and the rite to voice it (thus the reason why these things start T-T for every good thing that happens theres always something bad that happens)

??????
Signature

odelya

odelya

aka Megori

When I last worked in retail (about 3-4 years ago), sometime before I left, we were told by management we could not say "Merry Christmas" to our customers because it was "offensive" and "incorrect" (and a lot of customers had apparently complained that it wasn't right for us to just say "Merry Christmas" since there were others there who apparently celebrated other holidays or none at all instead of Christmas, but never really cared until then). So, for a while, I was stuck saying, "Happy Holidays" instead (and then considered saying "Happy Holidays" for all the other holidays during the year too, but refrained from doing so).

I think it's ridiculous that people would be so offended by "Merry Christmas." Quite frankly, I don't think it's bad and wishing a merry anything isn't bad or offensive. If you don't celebrate it, then take it as "Have a wonderful day" or something of the sort instead. The person is basically just wishing you a good day.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 33 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.