Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 is the word "christmas" a bad word - Minitokyo

is the word "christmas" a bad word

This thread is closed for posting.

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 33 total items

To me and I think for agnostics and atheists, christmas is a winter festival :)

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I know some companies are still using "merry christmas" like walmart and the likes, but I've been hearing that if the particular place gets tax dollars it has to conform and force itself out of using christmas and start using happy holidays instead. it's all along the lines of separation of church and state. even in Texas, in the USA, a public school was forced to remove the nativity scene from their school grounds, however a private school is permitted to do as they wish due to the fact they are private funding. I suppose the argument of better late than never for some people, but still it's rather sad to be honest.

and keionyan, the actual "winter festival" is related back to pagan religions such as Wiccan and Witchcraft and the Christians later brought it to practice it about the same time as they did, but I'm not going to get any further into that statement due to the fact I'm not opening up a can of worms of arguments over a religious battle such as that, that is related to another post.

but in truth, I don't have a problem with it. I'm ticked off that they are permitted to say a prayer before each session in the supreme court, etc and they have other religious things in courthouses/post offices so why are they so bent/set on bothering with this. I've been seeing all this all my life and I practice as I always have, guess there are more sensitive people that can't accept the fact that America was founded on Christian laws/rules/life/etc. as other countries are founded on that religious background.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

odelya

odelya

aka Megori

Quote by angelxxuanI know some companies are still using "merry christmas" like walmart and the likes, but I've been hearing that if the particular place gets tax dollars it has to conform and force itself out of using christmas and start using happy holidays instead. it's all along the lines of separation of church and state. even in Texas, in the USA, a public school was forced to remove the nativity scene from their school grounds, however a private school is permitted to do as they wish due to the fact they are private funding. I suppose the argument of better late than never for some people, but still it's rather sad to be honest.

Actually, the company I was referring to was, indeed, Walmart. I'm not sure if it was just a one year thing, since I left before Christmas the next year, but yeah, I think it's sad. There were so many people who would scream and yell in my face whenever I'd say "Merry Christmas" and then, some would be all like, "Why don't you just say 'Christmas'?" whenever I say "Happy Holidays" (and when I tell them why I can't, they're like, "WUT? FOR SRS?!")

I heard about the nativity thing too. I was almost gonna just...>__< And some schools, I've heard, have banned the pledge of allegiance because it says "One nation, under God..."

Quote by angelxxuanbut in truth, I don't have a problem with it. I'm ticked off that they are permitted to say a prayer before each session in the supreme court, etc and they have other religious things in courthouses/post offices so why are they so bent/set on bothering with this. I've been seeing all this all my life and I practice as I always have, guess there are more sensitive people that can't accept the fact that America was founded on Christian laws/rules/life/etc. as other countries are founded on that religious background.

I've actually heard that some courts were required to remove some kinda plaque or whatever it was they had outside the courtroom that said "God" on it. It's been a few years though, so I can't recall the details too clearly.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

perhaps it's related to location of said places as well? I have noticed the further south you go in the USA the harder to change and the more likely you're going to encounter an over charge of things. and since this situation I have noticed the media's stressing of cramming things where they shouldn't. all these years of saying happy holidays, now they feel they MUST go with merry christmas instead. what a sad day, but hey at least they aren't arguing over someone's appearance or age for awhile, so that's a somewhat bonus and/or change?

BuBbLeS!

Signature

When I said winter festival I meant people gathering for a winter festive and having a fun merry time and when I say that I don't associate christmas with any religion.

evelluchia

evelluchia

Lu-Lu the friendship officer

my little girl went into a local shop today and just to be nice she said merry christmas to the store clerk (the clerk was more then happy to say the same to her) a cuple of people in the shop gave her a hard look as if she did something wrong yet all she did was wish the store clerk a merry christmas its almost like the word christmas is like swering or something my little girl never notist it but i sertenly did and it was quite sad

i think this politiclally correctness is starting to go a bit too far or maybe im wrong i dont know but i feal as though things are going to drastically change i dont know if its for the better or worse but who knows

i love festiveles even if there not related to my religen or anything i enjoy them because it gives me a chance to have fun and do things related to different caltures or religens sometimes its interisting but its all fun in the end ^-^

??????
Signature
become a member of minitokyos newest happy family HERE
join the group web site HERE

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

same here evel and I have noticed some are saying it more because people are trying to force them to say the new thing. I don't see the big deal, like you it gives me a chance to learn about new cultures, I don't know about every culture and how they celebrate other religions. I didn't learn that until I entered the online world and started talking to people that some celebrate in other ways and some don't celebrate at all. I don't know why they force a change such as this, I mean I don't hear people running around wishing other people this holiday greeting over another, it's just this one simple word that appears to be destroying the system. after all that, I find it ironic that people don't understand the truth behind this holiday, but seriously not going to get into that one, no need for flame wars and destroy the post and go off topic. but it is sad to see so many changes to such a trivial holiday that has turned more commercial than logical these days anyways

BuBbLeS!

Signature

jakuro

jakuro

殁 4 LIFE

People are so stupidly over-sensitive to "Tolerance" and being "tolerant" when we are already like that. Nobody cares what others do and think, as long as its not physically hurting anyone. If you're attacking someone for being different then YES, that is wrong. Saying Merry Christmas doesn't hurt anyone, its the same thing as saying "Have a nice day"

Christmas. This is the birth of the messiah of the Christian religion, hence "CHRIST"mas. Those who are offended are yes, likely just loud atheists and old people that get their feathers ruffled when they hear something they can't handle. They think this common greeting that is used during late December, is an oppressive saying. They think we are trying to shove a religion down their throat when are only wishing them to have a pleasant holiday season. If anything, Christmas is more or less at this point a yearly excuse to buy a lot of crap to make the people you love happy. Every culture needs a holiday that brightens spirits so we can get on with another shitty year!

Just remember that us youngsters are the new generation of the world, and if we don't blow "tolerance" out of proportion, then the world will be a better place thanks to us. Just let each culture and country have its greetings. It doesn't matter what we believe as long as it leads to the same end: Be a good person.

But yes, if you want to be politically correct when speaking to someone whom you are not sure what their religion is.. Happy Holidays is a fine and common thing to say! It recognizes every religion that is celebrating at this time of year, and represents more people. However, it should be fine to say Merry Christmas as well :)

Signature
::wake up in a dying world looking like the antidote::

The "separation of Church and state" clause prevents the government of The United States of America from establishing a National Religion or preventing the exercising of any particular religion. The U.S.A. was founded by oppressed citizens of many countries that were compelled to worship in a State mandated way. Catholicism, in European countries, other than England, where the Anglican church was the proscribed religion. What the citizens who founded my nation intended was the ability to worship as one willed, all were welcome to worship their religion in their own way, expressing themselves freely and unabashedly. What has made my country so great for centuries is being threatened by "political correctness". If Religion and politics should be kept separate then how is mentioning God "politically" incorrect? Religion and politics do not necessarily have to be separate. The government simply may not tell me that I must worship, or how I may express my religion. Atheists have the right not to worship and if they do not believe in God I shall not force them to. I choose to believe in God and his Son, my Savior, Jesus, the Christ. No man will tell me that I may not do so.

I do not begrudge any fellow human to express their religion. The second amendment allows the citizens of The U.S.A. to free speech. For example If a person of the Jewish faith says Happy Hanukkah to me I smile and wave. People who are offended by those who express their religious beliefs do so, in my opinion, because they know that they have an emptiness that they can never fill with their lifestyle. Perhaps busying themselves protesting the religious expression of others helps take their minds off of this fact. If I tell you "Merry Christmas" it is because I want you to be happy during a season when I find joy. If one chooses to be filled with hate and be offended, such a one has every right. I will never insist that someone adopt my religion, yet if you ask me why I believe and have Faith I will be pleased to answer. All of us have every right to express ourselves if not we all lose the freedom that many have fought and died for which to retain.

The proud symbol of my Nation holds up her torch and shouts as the advocate for those who seek freedom: "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp! Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Christmas has a meaning, it is a word that stands for the gift of hope for us all. Hope is not a bad thing. Christmas is a marvelous word. Merry Christmas to all ! May you find joy in the coming year.

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 33 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.