Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 (not) sleeping - Minitokyo

(not) sleeping

page 1 of 1 12 total items

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Over the Christmas holidays, like all good students I've been staying up stupidly late. Then there came one day when I was about to go to sleep and realised it was 6am and thought, screw it, I'll stay up and go to bed at 9pm. What I noticed was that after a certain point, about 15-20 hours, I stopped being tired all together.

Though I did eventually go to bed after about 30 hours I felt like I could stay up forever. Now that brought to mind a few stories I've heard, mainly of Chinese online gamers who stayed up several days straight and died from exhaustion or something.

So I was wondering, how unhealthy is it to skip a day or two of sleep and how many days in a row is it practicable to stay awake?

Tell me what you think.

Princess-Sophitia

Princess-Sophitia

Goddess of the Sea

I can tell you one thing for sure, Usa-chan D:

It's really unhealthy to not get any sleep, so I don't think you should take any chances... I think you should get sleep as soon as possible :o

Signature Image "I know I'm not strong, but I'm cute!"- Italy, Hetalia: Axis Powers

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I suffer from insomnia and can go days without sleep, I can sleep a lot, or sleep only five hours. the body can go a few days, no problem, without sleep. it's called sleep deprivation. the body will eventually sleep, but if you're forcing it awake you can die without proper sleep, your body's internal organs will begin to shut down and other health problems can and will begin. there have been records of a full week without sleep, so it is possible but it's best not to chance such a thing, in my opinion. one shouldn't do this task all the time, but doing it once a month isn't all that bad on the system, but doing this task all the time, once a week and so forth, can be very unhealthy and a danger to your own well being, for not only your body's health is in danger of sleep deprivation, also your mind. for some odd reason, studies have shown that people that go long periods without sleep will develop moments where they are delusional, incoherent and other mental like states. so, upon doing such a thing as depriving your body of sleep, take caution when doing so. sure you don't/won't feel tired, but eventually you will need sleep and if you don't grant your body such a thing, bad things will come about.

the above statements can be proven by a quick search of medical related sites not wiki, although wiki might be of some help. webmd is a good medical source site as well as cdc.gov and other medically related sites. best of luck and if you can maintain awakeness for over a week, then record it, in the book of records it's about a week of continuous awakeness to beat, not certain the exact time frame here, but nothing wrong with wanting to make a new record and break the old one !

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Why does it look like Angel's trying to encourage Usagi of suicide?
Other than that, she's right, sleeping is important for our body and psyche. Other than insomnia, which makes it difficult to fall/ stay asleep, there's also another disorder called hypersomnia, it comes with an excessive amount of sleepiness, like falling asleep when you're typikjmnbhyio

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by merynoko Why does it look like Angel's trying to encourage Usagi of suicide?

Oh, Angel-san...http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3904/szsbw.jpg

Totally not a Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei reference.

Princess-Sophitia

Princess-Sophitia

Goddess of the Sea

XD

Don't kill yourself, Usa-chan! ;-;

It really is important to get sleep, if you continue not getting enough, it will cut your life short D:

Signature Image "I know I'm not strong, but I'm cute!"- Italy, Hetalia: Axis Powers

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

well I just thought you would be eager to do the whole book thing. I see so many people trying to break records trying to get into that strange books. I watch tv shows where people do some strange stuff, even stupid stuff, to get into the book of world records :/ nothing wrong with trying to/for something new ;) I can only go about three days without sleep myself, before I finally crash, by that time my brain is so confused it's not even funny, although it probably is, people laugh often at my actions by the 3rd day :P

BuBbLeS!

Signature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

So I can safely lasy 3 days based on your experience. That's good to know.

I recall a sankaku complex article about some Chinese guy actually dying from lack of sleep though, playing online games or something but I can;t find it. I'll keep looking for something relevant. ^_^;

Princess-Sophitia

Princess-Sophitia

Goddess of the Sea

I don't know about safely, but you might not die if you're looking to just tempt death D:

I'd say get sleep as soon as you possibly can after such a long time without it...

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I wouldn't consider what I did safe, but I have developed risk taker many times in my short life. but mine was induced forced awake, not a natural lack of sleep, due to drinking energy drinks. I don't like five hour energy drinks ! they aren't safe on your heart either. but at any rate, there have been many deaths related to lack of sleep, people doing weird things such as video games, etc, for x amount of hours. but we must remember that this could have brought about brain trauma or failure of the kidneys before the onset of dying from lack of sleep. when a person is lacking of sleep and preoccupied with something else, they are going to forget to do basic things, resulting in more deaths from other medial reasons not lacking of sleep, which is a contributor and I have seen this placed on a few death papers as well. just take caution and do this in moderation, doing it often will lead to chaotic side effects that could also weaken your organs due to such things. I've heard of that story as others, just take caution when you're about to do something, I can't stop a person from doing them, only provide the facts (which are useless until useful)

BuBbLeS!

Signature

awkwardusername

awkwardusername

(」・ω・)」うー!

You aren't the only one man. *brofist.

Of course. Humans need sleep. My consciousness tells me such things. But I do not often listen to my rationale. Too bad, because the effects of sleep deprivation escalate in the long run. Decreased energy output/ quick tiredness, delayed reaction/reflex, in some cases (like mine) micro-term memory loss.

Lack of sleep could kill you faster than hunger.

For the reason why I can't sleep that regularly, erm, I could blame my toll of responsibilities, and my irrational time management. I tend to postpone projects and assignments, doing them only moments before deadline.

I have been sleep deprived for over a month, and it doesn't feel good. Like, sleeping only for 0-4 hours a day. Not nice.

Well, I did manage to reverse my biorhythm a bit, so even if I don't sleep at night, I do my sleep in daylight. But that didn't last for long.

Anyways, I should tell everyone including myself to sleep properly. Or else, death. Just like that. Sweet.

Signature Image
Wordpress | Tumblr
Then what role am I to play in this farce? Should I be the slave? The villager? The knight? The protagonist? No, I am them all! A hero who’s role is to consume everything in sight, dancing while tearing the theater apart. A drama. A drama whose audience is the drama itself.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

If Usagi doesn't sleep, every grade school along his district will be complaining about lost photos they planned to publish in the Yearbook. In that case sleep isn't really needed, plus the local community of little girls love him the more he goes fiddling in their drawers.
Besides digging in little girls drawers for their favorite colored raincoat.. sleep is actually pretty important even though I don't do it lol.. you can live a few days every now and then without sleep but staying up for 4 weeks straight? Yea.. probably not. Especially not unless Mery tells you he's spying you through the windows.
All the studies and stuff only show you the minimum amount of sleep you need a day, you can operate with less and you'll make up for it some other time. Sounds odd that you can make up for something when you lost it.. but nothing is really lost until you screw up somewhere or somewhat.
Nah.. you decide your own sleeping thing. Btw I haven't slept in 4 days.. thanks for reminding me lol

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to Body, Mind & Fashion | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.