Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Happy New Year Resolutions for Forum. - Minitokyo

Happy New Year Resolutions for Forum.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

(Following wall of text is for inspiration or w/e you wanna call it, feel free to post until suggestion thread is up)
I'll lighten the mood with lame jokes if I can.

Prologue, skip forward if you hate long stories that you're too serious to smile about today and you want to read next time.

Alright, by the book format mainly because nobody likes my light blue text color, dw this years color is Red.
I don't really understand why I'm doing this again this year but hopefully it's less wordy than the last.. and maybe I can give people something to think about.

No? Well negativity never did anyone good right? Right.

Btw I think a suggestion thread needs to be pinned, make an empty one and hang it on the front door so the public can voice opinions there. When I was in the Army, the U.S Army had a tattoo on the wheels of the commanding officers jeep and it said 'Suggestions dropped here'. Those Army guys really know how to live it up right?

As usual, people comment about the forum being dead and not being as active as it used to be and that most of the fun they had here is gone now so they barely even visit any more yet a lot of things have become a problem without anyone realizing it. Btw I'm apparently a noob because I've only been on the forum for 2 years. No matter where you look, suggestions have shaped many things in many ways, because of that Egypt is no longer in Asia.... or was that another country?
Either way pinning a suggestion section is the best suggestion in the end.

K moving on. . .
Different approach, I'll type like a note-only-to-the-point kinda guy.. the kind you see at the national guard all the time.

Like they brought up last thread > Lack of serious or proper discussions and everything in off-topic section. Although not all posted in section, most probably felt the same.
Fix? > I don't know exactly to the point of solution. But I can create more threads a day lol.. probably get knifed for thread spam though

Idk about forum king and forum henchmens way of doing things and ofc certain recurring people are happy with the forum the way it is now. But I think we can be more tbh, k a little too dramatic. But I seen other forums be able to do it so.. why can't we? Idk over the past 5 months I been getting links to other forums for threads but link to MT only for gallery. Sad right? I troll the guy right after he did that.
Maybe we've already done it, I'll nail down almost everything:
> MT already had a time where it was #1, now aftermath when everyone left so forum die
> MT higher up decisions people dont like so they leave
> MT rules too tight, cannot troll for fun or even make useless threads
> Community boring, all deserve to fall off cliff
> Thread get too serious, people mad rage.
> Thread too personal, get life and make new thread later
> Close thread, spam 75%. Srs post 1%.
> Darthas troll me in shoutbox, why no ban?
> IRC die, why only 3 people and 50 afkers?
No matter what the reason is, all these problems can surely be fixed some way or another. I can't think of reasons all by myself so.. thats why I wanted a suggestion thread pinned, plenty of bright individuals here, none of them like to talk or are given space to in most sections.
I can understand threads go too far after personal beliefs, but honestly nothing can be expected to stay neutral forever because it limits train of thought, every thought people have is based on personal belief. As for Spam.. well.. spam is spam, just put a large word limit if anything. Try-hard trolls are normal for every forum. Btw I didn't troll shoutbox.
I'm not encouraging spam or trolls, but just saying we lockdown on more than just that sometimes. Mods job to be serious? I can understand. Hotdog man's job to make burritos too. I blame IRC on Cyanides ~> Solution here largely based on public.

2nd problem is Mod efficiency.
Problem is mods are too efficient, no room for error sometimes. Again.. list problems.
> Mod decision I don't like, mainly because decision make too quick.
> Mod decision fail, my decision better. Keep thread open. Troll.
> Why MT suddenly so serious? I go elsewhere.
> I get warning too easily. fffffuuu----
> Mod so serious, fun die. I go elsewhere.
> Why people troll shoutbox I cant troll forum? Hnnnnnnnnnngggggg....
Either way I look at this.. all the comments I collected failed. I don't personally have a problem with mods, but a few people do and its something that no one can really fix. Moving on ~>

3rd problem is Section flooding.
Problem is.. Off-topic secton 95%, all others 5%. Again.. list problems.
> Other sections too painful for brain, I go lol with other members who like to lol too w/o trolling
> Why talk about God all day? Talk about unicorn. +1
> Too tired to think about helping website improve. I go lurk weird section with 700 game thread
> I post in normal section. 1 sentence. hurhur
> Forum about fun. We go section where no need talk about anything else.
> Other member troll me with opinions. I go elsewhere to post.
> No one post in thread any more.. thread boring. We go where everyone post.
> No fun, no participate.
The Off-topic strikes back. (SW ref.)... Everyone already knows the major problem with this section bloating thing, but what really makes it a problem is that it voids the other 80% of the forum. I'm only bringing this up because it seems we just need the sandbox and off-topic section in the forum. All the examples given were because of disgruntled opinions being blocked, I don't suggest otherwise.. but having a mind dump every once in a while in places besides your blog does the brain good. Cyanide tried but it didn't end well. My fault lol
Still think we could use that new 'Spam' section and leave the Newest Mods to manage all the spam and trolling in there. Kinda like how the managers pile up garbage at work for an entire day and get the new guys to carry out 6 tons of it every day. lol

4th problem from ancient times is giving members more control on the forum.
Problem looks simple, but in-depth is very hard. Can't think about of a working system and need more people to comment tbh. Leaf made some alright comments, could use more than just her input though. Mainly because this is a community thing, interested members should work with the mods on an agreement. But if they don't well.. don't matter to me lol

To be updated? Btw 7up all night makes you hyper, fingers moving at lightspeed. Typed thread out in 9 min and 47 seconds lol
/tryhard

HNY nuts.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Hi Darthas.

I'm here to get you the same response I gave you before. You ready for this? Keep me with a beat!

The biggest thing I can think of, is due to previously experiences being what they were, the community is now shaped greatly around that. Of course I think that's a rule of thumb for most communities. Minitokyo back during it's inception was a huge hit and grabbed a lot of different individuals from different communities previously and as a result it created a great deal of interesting conversations and topics in the forums. However, it also brought about numerous issues that became re-occurring problems and unfortunately rules were then created against it.

Bottom line, and I'm going to state this no necessarily to judge against our current community but stating in general, is the majority only want to have short, off topic threads. Greater in-depth discussions still exist, but not to the extent that they use to and most of the time end up dying immediately. Of course this can also apply to the previously mentioned off topic conversations, which are now fairly similar. The problem? A huge lack of participation in the forums, in my book.

From what I've observed over the years from the communities I stay active in, it seems that forums just in general are dying out. Most people want to come on, do whatever they want to do and get off. When I first joined, it wasn't uncommon to be online for several hours at a times simply because there was so much going on and so much to do. Maybe that still is the case and things have changed for me, but that's been my biggest observation in general.

TL;DR? Threaten people to start posting in the forums again, or try to get more people involved in creating unique topics. The best advice I can offer is to create interest in getting people involved in the forums once again, and the best way is to keep pushing it and keep pushing it. That way, it won't die out months after resurging like the IRC channel did.

/Avoids other questions/comments.

Signature Image

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Okay, so I thought I was gonna go to sleep, but here I am posting. Hoping this will be coherent when I re-read it again tomorrow. ^_^;;

It seems most of your issues are with the Forum, and believe me you're not the only one with those concerns.

Cy and I have both discussed the disproportionate percentage of Off-Topic threads vs intellectual threads at length. I'm not really sure what can be done since forum threads success/popularity is largely dependent on the members who participate in said threads.

Which brings us to the member-base in general. Long story short, it's changed. As members grow older many grow out of the fandom, or as you state it so eloquently "get a life". ^_~ I do miss some intellectual conversation, but the way I see it MT is more of an escape from school/work for most people. Escape= vacation= not wanting to think, aka: be lazy/have fun. (won't go into whole tangent about apathy)

Finally, idk if it just may be me, but the lack of anime-themed threads could also be due to the quality (or lack-thereof) of new anime series currently being broadcast.

I'm having a little trouble following your concerns about Mod efficiency... are you saying we should be less efficient?

As a final note: WE LOVE SUGGESTIONS. (or at least I do. ^_~) It's always a pleasure to hear others' ideas. Please feel free to PM myself-- or any active Staff Members if you have an idea, gripe, or just to say 'hi'.

As for a pinned thread, I think that the preference is for individual threads-- that way the individual suggestions won't get lost amid all of the other posts.

Signature Image

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by CyanideBlizzard
/Avoids other questions/comments.

Comment dodger, don't troll me like that. K replying to 2 people at the same time will kill my coordination but I'll do it anyway.
Yea I can understand the numerous problems everyone would have had managing an active community. The huge lack of participation like you stated is right, and it's all over the place. What I want is to somehow see if the community itself wants to change that, hence suggestion to implement suggestion thread. I'm sure no one here wants to place to die out completely.. and things are slowly dying as it is. Naive right? Yea..
If nothing can be done about the state the forum is in now, I'm not going to crawl all over you either, like I said it's just my thoughts on it, so it's pretty much the same as yours for the starting half? You're right that most people escape from the topics that require a ton of thinking, maybe because of what MT is it attracts people who don't engage in that type of conversation or part thereof. If so then that's okay, I'll find a way to be a nuisance with them then.

Wise man say> So why bother when no one care?
Me> Because nothing worth losing w/o trying
Wise Man > lol troll

Btw it could be the forum community's choice but I prefer having suggestion thread around anyway. Btw Forums only die out because the way the forum is causes it to die, things are successful if they are able to be, and I'm still trolling the funny looking guy who linked me page here only for gallery lol
In all other cases, what makes or breaks a good forum? You're right they're dying from multiple sources.. but finding out why they're dying is also a question I'd be interested in knowing (though firefly already explained the one here)
Suggestion thread will help btw, because everyone will post in 1 general area instead of ignore my thread all day, and it helps credibility to people that concern of public is cared for generally. But if you prefer other way then I won't complain lol

No Im not saying mods needs to be less efficient, just saying random idea. This isnt the first forum I was on, just saying from general point of view because no one knows how everyone feels. No worry, you all know we love you but I consider all possibilities regardless. Its why I work as lawyer :D

How do you TL;DR when I'm the OP btw? lol alright I'll take your advice> sow threads together (paradox?)and threaten people in SB. ~>
TL;DR > Darthas knows what you mean. Will try harder at being better member.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

I can't remember the last time a mod started a thread. The only reason they post on existing threads is to say "I closed this thread for blah" - so please take a look at yourselves before you say things like "the community need to participate more".

The rules are way too tight. Locking threads that are more than 4 weeks old was fine bask when MT had a decent level of traffic. Now all that does is stifle people who attempt to contribute to the dead forums. i.e. someone signs up, posts on a few threads that are 4 weeks old, they all get locked, new person moves on to another site.

I know we want intellectual discussions but MT as it is doesn't really have a choice. Just let people post whatever they want, like the off topic forum then start the quality control once the forum is active again. The way things are now, it's hard to get the ball moving without a mod saying something like "oh this thread is 4 weeks old" or "oh please discuss more and don't write one sentence replies". Until the forum gets more active again, one sentence replies is better than nothing.

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

Well maybe the solution to the issue that has you flustered is to have a "Topic Specific" and or "General Discussion" Achievement Award; so as to drive the masses like the rest of the Achievement Awards have. I mean this Achievement system has produced such quality results for the rest of the site why not use this tool to attain the desired results you would like. I do not believe this is how you would like it to evolve but it is most likely the only way you will get results. That said the ball is in your court darth.

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.