Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Favorite Art Style - Minitokyo

Favorite Art Style

page 1 of 1 15 total items

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

There are probably thousands of different art styles out there, which made me wonder-what is everyone's favorite art movement/style, and why? It can be an anime stlye, but I'm thinking more of things like Cubism, Impressionism, etc. Here are a few examples of art styles for people who aren't familiar with them: http://library.thinkquest.org/J001159/artstyle.htm

Personally, I love paintings and especially Impressionism because I love seeing how colors reflect and such to become what we see, not what we know. And if it's a city at night with some rain to add an array of lights, reflections, and textures, then my goodness, it just doesn't get much better than that in my book.

I hope this topic isn't too broad....

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

I like surrealism :3 Especially Dali's work. It reminds me a lot of the way I dream.. that something's always out of place.
Impressionism is a close second though. I really like the way that the colors in the painting can seem to be a part of a shimmering reflection, or like it's being distorted through blurry glasses. Monet is probably my favorite impressionist.
So.. If someone did surreal impressionism, it would be amazing.

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Admittedly , as much as I am into Pop Art , I'm also fairly fond of Surrealism , Realism , Postimpressions and occasionally , Abstract paintings.
Still , as long as the artwork is interesting / beautiful enough , I don't have much to say :P

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

I'm a fan of most all art styles, but I've got to say my number one favorite is Impressionism... and specifically the artwork of Claude Monet. I love his paintings from his garden at Giverny. (But then again, I love paintings with floral motifs in general). It's the combination of floral subject combined with the almost dream-like quality of impressionist paintings.

Signature Image

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

Surrealism, HANDS FREAKING DOWN. I also worship Dalí, seriously.
Oh oh, shameless but please watch this video, it's a collab between Walt Disney and Dalí, it was featured in a retrospective on Dalí's films and paintings at the MoMA in New York (so blessed to have seen it ;___;) Click!

Close enough, I'd have to say Art Nouveau, I'm very fond of the intricate design of the frames and how dramatic, yet very organic, the scenes portrayed are <3

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

ArtificialRaindrop

ArtificialRaindrop

We're All Mad Here.

I've grown to appreciate most art styles (my professor would be proud), but I have to say I'm in love with impressionism, especially the works of Degas, Renoir & Monet. I love the effects of light & shadow in a painting, especially in Degas' ballet pieces.

I'm a little freaked out by surrealism. I think it's largely because it's akin to seeing in to the head of someone else, and the fact that much of it is based off of dreams makes it a breeding ground for Nightmare Fuel. That being said, I'm also fascinated by it at the same time. I had some pretty bizarre dreams after my research paper on surrealism. o_o

Signature ImageYou can't live without the fire, it's the heat that makes you strong ~ Within Temptation, "Iron"
KHDownloads <-- Butterfly Chaser referred!

AnGeeChan

AnGeeChan

Mangaka

Mine is romanticism and artists like Delacroix and Friedrich. Painting style is realistic but strongly symbolic and unreal at the same time. Hard times, artists were kind of crazy back then^_^ it was always the most interesting style for me, I'm always imperessed by it^_^

"Ah, dear God, if you really do exist
Watch over this child who will not give up"

Legionary

Legionary

Ramen Loving

<.<;;

I'm sadly not as knowledgeable about art as y'all seem to be...
I really like chibi art or cartoons where people look...distinct? Like in the Simpsons, for instance. I guess you could say I like pop art then? :P

But otherwise...I wouldn't say it's a style, but pictures with lots of stuff going on in them or if they have a historical context, like showing a battle or something.

One of Diego Rivera's murals for example:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/legionarycohort/diego_gall_conquest.jpg

And I guess it even has a sorta distinct, cartoony quality too....

Signature
"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me" - MB20

tankgirl

tankgirl

~Junkmetra Bae O3o~

Abstract :D

"You who swallowed a falling star, o' heartless man, your heart shall soon be mine."
Signature

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Quote by FranSurrealism, HANDS FREAKING DOWN. I also worship Dalí, seriously.
Oh oh, shameless but please watch this video, it's a collab between Walt Disney and Dalí, it was featured in a retrospective on Dalí's films and paintings at the MoMA in New York (so blessed to have seen it ;___;) Click!

Close enough, I'd have to say Art Nouveau, I'm very fond of the intricate design of the frames and how dramatic, yet very organic, the scenes portrayed are <3

Woah, that collab was stinking awesome. O.o I have to admit, I tend to like surrealism-especially since my cousin made me a surrealistic birthday card, lol-though I also find it a bit eerie. As Rain said, it is kinda Nightmare Fuel for me-but in a cool sort of way.

Also, anything with symbolism is good to me.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

I actually really like hyperrealism, especially on a huge scale, simply from the level of obsession needed to create something like it. Interesting that my other favorite style would be impressionism, which is sort of the opposite in how it relies on perceptual tricks to portray things. But I like it because of how it plays with perception on a physical level.

Most people seem to like surrealism, and while I definitely like it and appreciate it, personally I'm just interested in…well, what simply exists already and different ways of portraying it, because I think the world is already a very interesting place, and seeing it through an artists eye can give you a new perspective on something mundane.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

http://enpundit.com/2012/three-dimensional-goldfish-sculptures-made-by-layering-paint-and-resin

Okay, so I just HAD to share this link... figured fellow art appreciators here might enjoy it. This is just TOO COOL.

/slightly spammish post

Signature Image

there are soo many different art styles..... i mean, really, its just so hard to choose one that i really like above the others...
Every style has something that i really like. However, i would probably choose abstract as my favorite... idk

Izoto

Izoto

Kawaii as fuuu

That's pretty hard. Easier for me to just go with time periods. I'd say the best time period in art was the High Renaissance.

Least favorite style? Cubism, Picasso is overrated.

judi

judi

Death

Abstract :D

never regret something that once made you smile

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.