Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Japanese Artists Who Speak/Read English? - Minitokyo

Japanese Artists Who Speak/Read English?

page 1 of 1 19 total items

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

MT Age: 50 Dog Years

Q: Do you know any Japanese artists (or celebrities) who can understand English?

They don't have to be pro in English or anything, just name the ones who understand simple English. xD

Japanese artists and celebs, as in voice actors (seiyuu), actors, actresses, artists, mangaka, novelists, singers, dancers, directors, models, politicians (? popular?), etc.

Or even Internet sensations, like Youtube/Nico Nico Douga artists. Or really popular pixiv/DA members.

I'm just really curious! There isn't exactly an official-ish list out there xD.

Here's a few I know:

For sure:

- Angela Aki -> born in Japan and raised in Hawaii so she knows English. Known for singing English songs as well xD
- Masayuki Ozaki -> anime producer for Tiger and Bunny. At the New York Comic Con 2011 panel for that anime, he answered (and asked) questions in English.

The 'maybe's:

- MaNa -> Japanese model (gyaru, I think?), has a Youtube channel where she addressed the watchers in Engrish, at least once. lol
- Nero -> Nico Nico Douga singer. I'm not sure about his English proficiency, but he likes covering songs in English so... xD

And so on. Lemme know how you know they are sorta proficient in English too~

Have fun introducing your favourite artists~!

P.S. Not sure if this is the right forum section but have at it!
P.P.S. Intro non-Japanese artists too, if you want. K-pop stars, K-drama actors.. :p

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

Tina18

Tina18

The view of these stars

Siwon (suju) he tweets in english :3

Rizacaga: Tina, Tina tell Sungmin to get Kyu's pants for me pleaseee.
My milkshake brings Saber to my bathtub.

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Gackt, talks english in the movie "bunraku".

Signature Image
This day we fight!

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

@Tina: :O that's awesome, a Suju celeb knowing English!

@xangel0: Gackt. *-* lol, totally reminds me that I need to watch that movie.

*fingers crossed for more names*

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

Tina18

Tina18

The view of these stars

I think Lee minho(this sexy/cute beast http://eastgods.com/leeminho/lee-min-ho-400000-chinese-fans-%E2%80%9Ccity-hunter%E2%80%9D/ ) does too, from his fb account. I wish he tweeted more.

oh they both are korean thou

Rizacaga: Tina, Tina tell Sungmin to get Kyu's pants for me pleaseee.
My milkshake brings Saber to my bathtub.

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Googling I found Utada Hikaru speaks english too, btw idk why but I love gackt in samurai clothes <3 XD

Signature Image
This day we fight!

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

@Tina: I don't mind, it's KPop! xD the non-Korean fans must be thrilled~

@xangel0: Oh yeah, I forgot Utada Hikaru debuted in America already xD. And indeedy, Gackt is love, in anything. :P

To add:
- Rie Fu also sings in English (and went to uni in UK lol). I almost completely forgot her ED for Bleach, 'Life is Like a Boat'. x3

back07

back07

Awakening MODE

i think Ayumi Hamasaki can speak English..
:3

I can't be the best without you by my side, back07
Signature

DominiJoker

DominiJoker

ガゼット

Miyavi does.. Not extremely well though.. XD
Die from Dir en grey, I think he does?
I know there are way more I know of.. I just can't remember at the moment >.<

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Akeboshi sings in english ^^' but don't know if he speaks it.
@Ao: spreading love for gackt! yay! <3 XDDDD

Signature Image
This day we fight!

back07

back07

Awakening MODE

@xangel0: agree with you.. maybe Akeboshi can..
i love his song Wind (OP Naruto)
:D

um....
Angela Aki can speak English..

Signature

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Yuna Ito is also from Hawaii. (though born in LA, she grew up in Hawaii.)

Signature Image

Aiira

Linguistics

Aiira

SOON..

G.NA speaks fluent english :3 WOOHOO! A Canadian Singer that's famous in South Korea :P

Signature
CHERISH yesterday
DREAM tomorrow
LIVE today

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

Thank you for the names, guys <3 That's quite a number of singers! (I don't know who G.NA is though hahaha //shot)

And I've found a few more, and they're seiyuu yay:

Mari Iijima -> voice acted in Macross, is a singer-songwriter and now living in LA. :3

Hiroya Ishimaru -> voice acted in Tekken, apparently did a spot of quite passable English-speaking in it. Also Jackie Chan's official dubber har har

Maaya Sakamoto -> Had an interview in English. :'>

Miyuki Sawashiro -> It's Shinku from Rozen Maiden! In this interview, she mentioned that she studied English in USA. :3 Apparently also did an English dub for an anime.

Yuu Asakawa -> Twitter has a lot of English. :o

Sayaka Ohara -> her profile claims so. ^^

Ryo Herikawa -> It's DBZ's Vegeta. xD Apparently learnt English from an American friend. video

Chiwa Saito -> Homura Akemi in PMMM. Studied in New Zealand~

Yuki Kaida -> China in Hetalia. Did her formal education in USA. Also competent in Chinese and French. ^^ Hetalia fans go mad

Satoshi Hino -> Yuji Sakai in Shakugan no Shana. Wiki says he can.

Nami Miyahara -> Studied in Austria for a while, in English. So wiki says

Tetsuya Kakihara -> Wiki says he is multilingual. :3 ...Incidentally he voice-acts as Shin in the Amnesia otome game. oh ho.

Haruna Ikezawa -> Also multilingual.
-------
And now, I feels like stalker. trololol~

back07

back07

Awakening MODE

BoA can speak english --> Googling
:D

Signature

tankgirl

tankgirl

~Junkmetra Bae O3o~

ummmm Utada Hiraku
she was raised in NY ^^

"You who swallowed a falling star, o' heartless man, your heart shall soon be mine."
Signature

Lunariha

Lunariha

Glitter~♥

Akanishi Jin (former member of KAT-TUN) :3
saw a vid of him speaking/talking in English with Taguchi (too cute!)...and well, he had his song TEST DRIVE which is in Eng featuring Jason Derulo

Taiwanese boyband Fahrenheit members WuChun (not w/ the group anymore though), Arron Yan, and Calvin Chen speaks English :)
Taiwanese actor George Hu >__< speaks English well too since he grew up in the USA

Signature
My Latest Artworks: Just Realized and My #7

sandumirabela

sandumirabela

-Return to Innocence-

All of them do but some probably know the minimum. To be hoenst if these guys want so much to reach other markets also they should start some serious learning of English.

Taec from 2PM was raised in US and he is pretty good with it
Yoochun - he seems to start to forget it a bit but he was the best at English out of the guys, also lived in the US a period from what I remember.
Jessica from SNSD also lived in US, she knows English very well

all these above are Korean though.

-Return to Innocence-
Signature Image
sigi and ava made by dianas for Mira-chan ;)

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

This thread lives! Totally forgot...

Tiffany and Jessica (Yay for local girl!) from Girl's Generation.

Amber from f(x).

Don't know if BECCA counts or not since she's only signed to a Japanese label, but not Japanese... ^_^;;

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.