Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Some propose about Vector Art and Achievements - Minitokyo

Some propose about Vector Art and Achievements

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Raffachan

Linguistics

Raffachan

A.A.A. Free Time Searching

Hello hello :3
I was wondering about this thing some months ago, but at the end I never wrote a topic about this, so here we go!
About Vector Art...

Quote: Vector art must be created using appropriate vector graphics software. You may not submit works that use filters or other image editing tools which mimic vector graphics.

So, for example, works made with Photoshop and GIMP, or others graphic programs can't be tagged under "vector art", right?
What I was wondering about it's this: since all images are at the end in .jpg format, and "vectorize" is refering more to tecnique than the type of file itself, why should it be allowed to add the tag "vector art" to the works that simply are made with in this way?
I didn't use this tecnique so many times, but I did in few works, but I never added the tag because actually I used GImp for them, but since the final format is always a .jpg why should we maintain this restriction?
It isn't a big deal at all XD But I was wondering about it when I checked my achievements the last time, and I noticed the one for the vector art tag.

Moreover...always about achievements, since we have one for the "vector art" (wall or indyart), should we have a one for "member art" (wall or indyart)? :3
Since they're two of tecniques more used here, I don't understand why if we have a achievement for "vector art", we don't have any for "member art" of the same type (i mean, that included wall and indyart with that tag) ...I know that this request should sound a little selfish, but I'll never ask it if I don't see that there are more than one members here that made "member art" wall&indyart like me...first of all members like http://aozoraskies.minitokyo.net/ , http://alterlier.minitokyo.net/ or http://tsunoh.minitokyo.net/ ...

Anyway they are only some thoughts that I have in my mind ^_^ I don't want to annoying the staff in any way...but I would like to try asking, even if answers will be negative ^^

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

You're going a bit too technical about the whole issue. It is true that vectors at MT are not "real vectors" since upon enlarging they'll get pixelated. If we want to be correct about the term, I'd say vexel is the word you're looking for since they are made out of pixels.
At MT, the vector art tag just refers to the use of the pen tool as a way of retracing an artwork. So yes, regardless of the program used if its made using paths or shapes, it qualifies as a vector and should be tagged as such.

The part of the policy you're quoting refers to people who made so-called vectors by using photoshop filters, such as posterize, something that probably happened a lot in the early days of minitokyo when vectoring wasn't that popular.

Regarding the achivy, sounds like a good idea!

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

Raffachan

Linguistics

Raffachan

Aaahn...so I was the one that taken that rule in a too much strict way XD Thanks for explanation Fran! :3 But, for example, these my works : http://static.minitokyo.net/thumbs/42/26/536342.jpg and http://static.minitokyo.net/thumbs/21/42/527121.jpg
I made them using the pentool since at that time I don't have a good tablet (how you can see in the videos), and it was the only way with I could draw on pc...but actually they are fanart maded without using a scan like "base"...for that works...should I add the vector tag or not? oo

About the second issue, I'm happy that you like it :3

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

No, I wouldn't tag that as vector art.
The only thing that appears to have been vectored are the outlines. The predominant technique is painting.

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

Raffachan

Linguistics

Raffachan

Mmm..then a painted tag could be added? anyway, it doesn't matter XD I only want to understand well how it works :3
Thanks again...
And about the "member art achievement" I hope that the big boss will read this topic ç__ç

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

I agree with Fran - while some parts of those wallpapers feature vectoring technique (the lineart), the predominant technique is painting; I'd say a 'true' vector art would be something that's either completely or for the lack of a better word, mostly vectored. This would be a good example:

Stray DOGS by RideOnMusic
Stray DOGS by RideOnMusic

Signature

Raffachan

Linguistics

Raffachan

Yah, yah I understand now :) I will put the "vector art" tag only on the works with that type of tecnique :3
Thanks anyway, alenas ^_^

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.