Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Living without a pulse - Minitokyo

Living without a pulse

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Saw this article on PopSci and I thought it be interesting to share with you guys. :)
The 10,000 rpm artificial human heart

Signature

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

oh dude the zombie apocalypse could be upon us ! but seriously to think that modern science has come this far? I am not so certain I like this idea, sure some doctors have this "god complex" but the device looks like something I would put under my sink and probably works just about the same, it concerns me how far science has come and is going to go. not to mention people that have transplants don't tend to follow the doctor's advice and change their life style, they tend to go back doing what they were doing so thus this transplant would work for those that are too lazy to change, but no pulse? does that mean they are living or have they died? are they brain dead now? this is a confusing art that has come about and until I can see studies first hand I'm not going to be too hopeful for this surgery. sure it could help those that do the transplants, and since it's so hard to get a transplant, I keep turning back to the no pulse idea.

and don't get me started on the parts inside, metal? metal detector and flying anyone? imagine what's that is going to do if a person with this contraption inside them and they are x-rayed or otherwise, it could run the risk of being ripped out of them ! it is a nice invention all the same, however, but it needs some tinkering to be better suited for this fast paced world in which we appear to live in.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

So far 50 calves and 3 humans have this device implanted in them. The concept of no pulse is unlike other artificial hearts that mimic real life counterparts by
pumping blood, this one provides a continuous supply without the need of pumping and they had one in the lab running continuously for 8 years with a small battery.
If a doctor was to use a Stethoscope it can hear a low hum generated by the turbine motor.

Signature

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

While I agree with most of what Xuan said, I have one big question: How on earth will anyone be able to afford something like this? Health care is already ridiculously expensive, and I can't imagine an artificial heart costing less than an arm and a leg. (figuratively)

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

got to remember tiki with each person/animal each one is different in their own way, and not to mention I have grown up in medicine most of my life as well as around a lot of different things. it's like taking what my dad did and implying what my mom did and putting it to use with one thing. as with any surgery and implanted device, regardless of generation, a person will probably react in different ways and other effects. I know what could take place, but still I am the annoying medicine person that must see first hand before they really consider it anything plausible. this is the same person that felt the need to see robotic surgery vs human surgery pretty much first hand to prove that it's better, more effective for the person and so forth (yes I do got connections in the medical field for practically any bit of knowledge without the aide of the net, not going into that one) ;)

and I haven't even looked at that consideration doodle, the price, which I don't believe was listed if so I guess I have forgotten since last taking a peek at the supplied link. I know artificial limbs aren't that cheap and thanks to some countries and their lacking of insurance, jobs or practically a forcing of insurance that isn't doing too well either, will the person be able to afford this and we won't be facing a repo person to come along to repo it due to lack of money or something? but if it's successful and the likes then I'm all for it, even with the money issues a possible installment sort of thing? still hoping to learn more about this and see it in action and see other things about it. could be the future but I still stall about embracing the future until I figure out more things about it sort of attitude. I am going to be looking around for this and more stuff about it in the future, thanks for sharing it tiki.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Xuan, I don't think price was mentioned, and I feel like I should clarify since I wasn't totally clear.

I agree with the things you pointed out about people being lazy if they feel there's always a surgery to fix things. You didn't leave anything out or anything, I just thought in this situation they might not have any choice but to start living better since there's a good chance they can't afford the surgery anyways.

Hope that makes more sense, lol.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

who knows maybe it's not all that expensive or people might be able to afford it with the proper surgery or something. I'm pretty certain it's not a cheap surgery, but neither is a transplant of a heart. let's not forget some that think there's a pill for everything >.< but this would be helpful on the fact of the extremely long wait on a transplant, if they ever get a transplant (legal anyways). I shall wait and see, I am certain it could be the next best thing next to a slice of bread, it's still new and in the first stages so time will certainly tell. after all people do flat line by choice when a transplant takes place of a heart so it's plausible. in a way, the more I've thought about it and researched it, I'm curious about this more and more now.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Shadowgirl

Shadowgirl

Rin Matsuoka

not just that if the implants inside the person are metal and you happen to swallow water (or drown to due to weight) wont that rust inside and it would cost more money just to replace the implants. If ya asked me if i was gonna die i wouldnt use implants i would just die instead. >.<

Some people might not be able to afford it anyways

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.