Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do You Believe In The Existence of Ghosts? - Minitokyo

Do You Believe In The Existence of Ghosts?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 69 total items

Do you believe in the existence of ghosts? Why or why not? Have you seen one? Does the subject frighten you? If it involves the paranormal you can talk about it here.

I wanted to re-open this thread because it's a controversial subject and there are some newer members who haven't posted their opinions. Anyone can post here, but try to stay on the topic. Please post in the active thread, thank you.

ahhhhhzness

ahhhhhzness

beastly

i dont not believe in them XD hehe i have an open mind and a slight belief in spirits ... its just been twisted and messed up by media and what not so much that i cant put full belief in it at this point in time

demons run when a good man goes to war, night will fall and drown the sun when a good man goes to war, friendship dies and true love lies, night will fall and the dark will rise when a good man goes to war

River Song
Doctor Who

404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound

Bye Bitch

I believe in demons... but not ghosts.... I have my reasons, that's all I'm going to say :|
so i guess it all depends on what you mean

I'm gon' be straight with yall. I ain't coming back here.

Legionary

Legionary

Ramen Loving

Well.....I never really thought about it. ^^;

I'd say it's not impossible that they exist..
but I'd wager the odds of me ever personally seeing one are exceptionally small.

Signature
"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me" - MB20

back07

back07

Awakening MODE

50%, cuz i haven't seen it yet
:D

I can't be the best without you by my side, back07
Signature

I was thinking about this a few days ago :o
hmm.. What do you exactly mean by ghost?

I read meaning of 'Ghost' in my dictionary. It says ghost is: an apparition of a dead person which is believed to appear to the living, typically as a nebulous image.
And i guess I can add some more to it based on the ghost stories I've heard:
it tends to show a few feelings too, like anger, hatred, compassion, sorrow and sometimes it does some bad or good things based on those feelings.

an 'apparition'. So it must be a thing that can be 'seen'. So that means, it reflects/refracts/emit light. That should mean that it certainly has a mass. So if ghosts exist and they can be seen(though it may for a limited time, at a particular place) it must mean, they have mass, right? It might be possible that they're seen only at some places at some times, because some physical phenomenon occurs only at that particular time and place.. some what like aurora borealis. And coincidentally, those phenomenon appear to be of human shape.
Even if we allow this very difficult thing to happen, we can only call them a natural 'phenomenon'. But 'ghosts' also have other qualities. They sometimes have voices, they can interact with things too, and that too not randomly, but with a sense of purpose based on their(or their living self's) 'emotions'.
I don't know what 'consciousness' is.. I mean, what separates us from lower life forms? our ability to think? Like, bacterias and viruses, are they any different that just some chemical reactions? But humans(and even other higher animals, mammals, birds, etc.) are different, right? So.. Idk, what makes them different. But one thing is for certain, all those beings who can feel, think, etc.. have a complex structure.. and a very complex organ: The brain! :O (some people believe that even plants have emotions, and they too feel pain, etc.. But I don't know how they can ;-;)
But Ghosts, aren't so complex, they 'barely exist'. They can only be seen faintly, due to some physical phenomena. I mean they are just like a big bunch of atomic particles, like dust, rocks, etc. >.<

I don't think they can perform complex operations like 'thinking', having emotions, changing quickly according to the surroundings(like following someone running away). Even if these particles are possessed by the (inexplicable) things like soul/spirit, the soul won't have a capable enough medium to enforce those actions, right? I mean, if souls could have controlled other such random relatively less organised particles, we would have seen many non-living things doing things they can do) WE can move because our brain orders(sends some signals) to our organs and then the organs act(reactions are caused on receiving those signals) These things need a trigger signal right? And for that a 'brain' is required..

Tulip said that there have been some evidences of existence of 'ghosts' and their existence was detected by some scientific instruments based on electromagnetism principles.. well... even if that's true, then doesn't it mean that those things detected were so lowly that we had to detect them with the help of scientific instruments? Would those things be able to do things like 'thinking'

It may be possible that those things are harmful to humans, but they don't do it purposefully! If they cause harm, then it'll be only because of chemical reactions. e.g. if some poisonous gas leaks in the air and people are harmed, it's not because the gas 'hates' people or is 'sad'. It'll always harm us. So it cannot be called as 'ghost'.

So, I think I don't believe in ghosts...
But Idk what this 'soul' thing is.. so I can believe in zombies xD
I mean, they've got braaaiiiins and other essential body parts, right? What does 'being dead' mean? If we somehow manage to restore a dead body exactly as it was before(i know it's impossible), will it start thinking and walking? :O If it's so, then there's no such thing as soul and everything is just chemical reactions >__>
But if it's not so, there might be a few weird things out there. o.O (but not ghosts)

ofc, my post was based on the definition of ghost written in my dictionary. Other kind of ghosts can exist ^^"
And my reasoning can be(probably is) flawed too. I just like to SPAM such discussion threads once in a while ^^"

and btw, i haven't really read any articles on the internet about this thing, even the one I've linked. So, an in-depth study can give a better answer.

edit: Whoa! BIG post! :O

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

yes i do... i saw one 1 years ago today actually.... XD it looked like the woman Yoko i think... from the grudge XD

I'm just a girl
Signature Image

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Hooyaah is a ghost, so yea I believe in them.
I also believe they can use computers.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

lilylily09

lilylily09

LILYLILY09

Yes, I believe in ghost maybe 70% but i'm not so afraid of it.
I believe because must of my friends usually talk about their relations who have met ghost and must of people who saw ghost is always at provinces, hospital, and even at my high school which i have studied before.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

wouldn't this be better suited under religion and science? but anyways yes I believe in spirits, always have and always will and since I wasn't forced to not believe in them like some people were during my time of existence I continued onward in believing in them, strengthening my mind and able to do far more than I once could when I was younger. I do not see it as a curse as some might, I rather enjoy having conversations with the other side, gives me a chance to learn things, about people of another time and so forth. I don't fear communicating with the dead, however I do feel slightly off when I communicate with a violent one. I have encountered a lot of those, been in a few situations and gotten bruises and so forth from said violent spirits. but I still enjoy such things. then I learned cleansing so that took care of the violent ones being so violent towards me if I couldn't get the place cleansed enough for them to move on. yes, it is very hard to get them to move on sometimes, some people are so attached to material things in this life, that crossing over is nearly impossible for them, if ever. been a few I haven't gotten to ever cross over to the other side. also know other things with spirits, like spell casting and summoning "things" but I know how to do this as well, sadly, wish other people would do the same.

p.s. do not dabble in things you know nothing about or very little. know the rules and the laws before doing such things as dabbling in things you are not familiar in.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

i'd say thats a yes for me ... when i young nd would go to my grandmas house she would tell me not to go into the back part of the house....one day i went in just to see what would happen nd after about 10 seconds of bein inside i hear a noise like somethin had hit the wall...but the room was completely empty so i started goin towards were i heard the noise when suddenly my arm becomes very irritated nd i look at it nd see 4 scratches leadin from the top of my arm all the way to my wrist...that was probably the only time ran out of a room that fast screamin my head off

Signature

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar4.jpgIts just been twisted and messed up by media and what not so much that I can't put full belief in it at this point in time .

Miss-Mess

Miss-Mess

A hero, somtimes.

Well, about the ghosts I'm not sure, but I actually believe in Jinns most. they're creatures like as human. they're invisible but you can feel them around. and about the media, it showed their existence in a wrong way, 'cause you can NOT see their REAL appearances but you might see them like human, animal or any object.

Personally, I heard from my trustworthy friends stories about them and my friends told me that they had seen one in their houses. but that Jinns were like a human in the appearance not like a monsters as what the media shows us.

and about the fear. as long as you have a great faith in your heart you won't fear a thing... even them. So about me I don't fear them that fear..

kreepypasta

kreepypasta

Pripyat sniper,one shot one dead

I the truth do not believe in ghosts, rather I believe that there are other dimensions and sometimes rare things are altered and spend, always and been this way I believe mas in the rare theories xD

MizuuHime

MizuuHime

is really need more holidays

I believe it. I've some experience with them. But, well, since it's just like I hear or smell something that actually don't belong in place where I was, and not actually looking at them directly, I'm not frightened at all. ^^;

kamuinoyume

kamuinoyume

OMAE WO SHINJIRU!

That's a pretty complicated question, and my answer is: I don't know. I'm a firm believer in God, and I believe the Bible when it says that no one can escape Heaven or Hell once they're sent there. So I don't see how a person can become a ghost, since, from what I understand of the phenomenon, ghosts are something like the spirit (or soul) of the dead person who's not found its resting place. Now, there is an urban legend that I heard that the spirit of a person walks the earth for 6 weeks before it rises to the heavens to be judged, but my grandfather died and I never saw a thing (neither with 2 of my uncles, my godfather, ...etc). Yet, there are stories and people who firmly believe in them (my grandmother for one couldn't sleep in the house after my grandfather died claiming that he was haunting the house, but that might have been because the whole incident was too fresh in her mind, or maybe not). So "I don't know" would be my answer.

Live like you'll die tomorrow, dream like you'll live forever!

Quote by kamuinoyumeThat's a pretty complicated question, and my answer is: I don't know. I'm a firm believer in God, and I believe the Bible when it says that no one can escape Heaven or Hell once they're sent there. So I don't see how a person can become a ghost, since, from what I understand of the phenomenon, ghosts are something like the spirit (or soul) of the dead person who's not found its resting place. Now, there is an urban legend that I heard that the spirit of a person walks the earth for 6 weeks before it rises to the heavens to be judged, but my grandfather died and I never saw a thing (neither with 2 of my uncles, my godfather, ...etc). Yet, there are stories and people who firmly believe in them (my grandmother for one couldn't sleep in the house after my grandfather died claiming that he was haunting the house, but that might have been because the whole incident was too fresh in her mind, or maybe not). So "I don't know" would be my answer.

I do believe in ghosts and I too am a firm believer in God and the Bible. Don't forget that the Bible talks alot about people with evil spirits in them. And even King Saul communes with the ghost of Samuel. As to whether they roam the earth...well, that I don't know. My parents told me they once saw something that was beyond any reasonable explanation. As they were driving along a road, some "thing" floated across the hood of their car and continued on into a large field on the other side of the road. About ten minutes later my dad finally asked, "Did you see that?" To which, she replied, "Thank goodness, I thought I was going crazy." Who knows what it was. They certainly don't know.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but wounds from those will always heal.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but wounds from words may never heal.

kamuinoyume

kamuinoyume

OMAE WO SHINJIRU!

Quote by FateAverruncusI do believe in ghosts and I too am a firm believer in God and the Bible. Don't forget that the Bible talks alot about people with evil spirits in them. And even King Saul communes with the ghost of Samuel. As to whether they roam the earth...well, that I don't know. My parents told me they once saw something that was beyond any reasonable explanation. As they were driving along a road, some "thing" floated across the hood of their car and continued on into a large field on the other side of the road. About ten minutes later my dad finally asked, "Did you see that?" To which, she replied, "Thank goodness, I thought I was going crazy." Who knows what it was. They certainly don't know.

There are many stories and testaments like what you mentioned, which is why I can't exactly dismiss them as peoples' imagination, but unless God decided to leave the spirits of certain people here to wander the Earth aimlessly until the end of time, I don't see how ghosts can exist (that could be a little hell onto itself, so maybe it could happen every once in a while, which is why I'm not certain whether they exist or not).

Live like you'll die tomorrow, dream like you'll live forever!

Yes,i believe in ghosts.^^
When i was a kid i had 2 times a "meeting" with them. I didn't saw them.
The first time...i was really young,6-7 years old, i felt them at he grave of my ancestors. In this short moment i didn't understand what was goining on.
The second time was 1-2 years after this. I heard foot steps behind me,coming closer and closer and finally stops directly behind me. At that time i was to scared to turn around. o.O"

Yes, I totally believe in ghost.
'Cuz I've some experience with them
(esp. I used to see my passed away friends and family members (^-^"))
and also sometimes can't explain about how things can be happened
I believe they're everywhere ne...

MizuuHime

MizuuHime

is really need more holidays

Yes. I believe that there is some 'things' that live with us, even if we cannot see and touch them :) I believe in demon too.

Maybe because I have some weird, if you don't want to calls that as supranatural, experiences, like when I can smell flowers from cemetery, except when I am in home. I also heard something like people taking showers, even if there is no one, when I went to camping few years ago.

Niish

Niish

―業―

Hmm.. Well, I didn't quite believe in ghosts.. Until I saw one.
"Seeing's believing", or something, right?
So.. A fe~w years ago (2006, wow, I'm getting old) I was with two friends at one of them's place.
We were going out so we were trying clothes on and stuff.. One of them was kinda bored and taking pictures with my phone (a motorola c650, with a la~me vga camera). She took like 20, while we were walking to a pub we watched the stupid pictures she took, and... We started screaming and running and all. Plus, this girl's place is sorta "haunted", her sisters saw a woman, we saw doors opening and closing on their own in the middle of summer (so, no wind current at ALL), etc.

Then, here we have our little friend.
That's me, but I wasn't really watching that, didn't saw it (thanks god).
Oh, and my friend's hand can be seen around the "head"(?) while she was throwing a handkerchief on the bed.
Ah, sou sou,, if you zoom up a little you can see some sort of face or something.
The first time I downloaded it to the computer and watched it carefully I kinda... started crying like a kid.

I kinda hate it, but I may never "catch" a ghost (or whatever it is) on camera again.
You know, like those weird things people collect. XD

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af54/Soii-Niish/15.jpg
http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af54/Soii-Niish/15.jpg

Hmm.. Not sure if that link's working here. Trying.

Anyway, I was totally bored and saw this post. It's always nice to share. ;P

Bai. (:

Pain, unlike pleasure, wears no mask.-

Ghosts, hmm. My answer depends on whether it is daytime or night time and if there are other people in the room with me or not, lol. I can say that I have never seen a ghost or apparition. I think most photos of ghosts are faked ("Oh, a ghost? Let me get out my camera and take a picture!"). In my opinion, ghosts are something we use to explain thoughts that haunt us or things we don't understand. They're also things that people like to think about to scare themselves with in the middle of the night. Literal dead people ghosts? No, I don't think they exist. I don't think that there can be a grudge so strong that its need for revenge reaches beyond the confines of mortality.
The idea of seeing something that's not quite there is scary though. It kinda bends reality out of shape and makes it seem possible for nightmare sequences to be real events. Some people like the idea of ghosts... personally, I don't. They would either be scary or sad creatures. They most likely don't exist in this world anyway.
On the other hand, I trust people who tell me that they have had some kind of supernatural experience of the sort. I'm sure that there is some logical reason behind it all but... I must admit, I avoid the place where they had that experience at all costs.
So I guess my final answer is: I've never seen a ghost and I don't want to believe in them. But I will believe in them if I ever find proof of one.

As for demons, the only ones I've encountered haunt electronics :P

I believe the soul
I saw with my eyes, the soul enters the body it was someone else

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 69 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.