Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Indy Art and Elites =3 - Minitokyo

Indy Art and Elites =3

page 1 of 1 8 total items

AngeKrystaleen

AngeKrystaleen

アンゲル

(Firstly, I hope I'm on the good forum ~ And sorry, sorry a lot for my bad english °A° Hope you'll can correctly understand me !)

I'm new here, and today, I pay more attention at "Elite" I can see of somes Indy Art.
(I don't speak about Wallpapers, I don't create any WP in my life, so I can't judge.)

I already search more informations in the forum, but lot's of subjets speak about WP, and not IA.

3 questions to begin :
(No no, I already know the policy about it ! XD)

* When Elites are given ? Many hours after the IA is posted only ? Many days ? Or it can be all the time ?

* For highlighted, to have one, is only by a suggestion from an other member ? ('cause I see "Suggestionned by" & "Given by")

* What's a "vector" art ? I'm a little confused about this term ^^' 'Cause in Indy Art, it's seem there is retouched image, and drawings do entierly by the artist. Is "Vector" for retouched one ?

Thank you in advance =)

Now, I also must say that I'm little disapointed... ^^'

Of course, I read FAQ & Policy, but according to them, sometimes, I'm a little surprised about the choice of Elites...

Somes IA are really wonderfull, so they deserve a lot their Elites.
But other look... Less deserving.
And I also think somes of them deserve an Elite and don't have one.

But when I see my own art, I'm a little sad to see somes IA have an Elite, and somes of mine (or other members !), not. ^^' I think my art is not less or more worked (It's not perfect, I'm totally agree to say that, without problem ! But I also think any drawing is perfect.)

It just have... A different style.

And 'cause my style is enought different, I'm a little scared to never have an Elite 'cause it don't suit the staff. x'D
(By the way, is not really that I absolutely want an Elite, it's just because I have no trust of myself, and I'm feel a little sad and unfair about this, if I can't have more attention just due to my style who's a little special, even if I put lot of efforts in my Art.)

I'm pretty sure I'm wrong when I say that, and I post here just to have more informations about the choice to give an Elite to an Indy Art.
('cause I see Indy Art without colors or BG have an Elite, and other full color with BG don't have one, but with a similar level skill. Also, you speak about descriptions in your policy, I see some Elite Art with a little description, and no Elite Art with a correct description.)

So, can you explain me more if possible ? =3
(Maybe the size ? Personnal taste ? Tool used for realisation ? For exemple.)

It's not a critic anyways, I'm just a little curious ^.^

Thank you ~

*¤* 私は アンゲル です。 *¤*

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

I'm not an Elite, but I'll try to answer the questions I can :)

When Elites are given ? Many hours after the IA is posted only ? Many days ? Or it can be all the time ?
Well, whenever the Elite Members/Mods see the artwork and deem it appropriate. As almost all Elites/Mods live in different time zones, the moments they're online vary too. It depends entirely on when that artwork draws the attention of an Elite Member/Mod: it can be 5 minutes or 5 hours from it being posted on MT until it's marked as "Elite".

What's a "vector" art ? I'm a little confused about this term ^^'
To put it simply, vector art (or "vectors") are images created with programs which support vector-based shapes. These images are created with two main purposes in mind (it can be one or both):
1. to showcase the vector artist's skill: if they decide to improve the original image;
2. to allow people who do not know how to vector, to use images that are otherwise unusable by them (they're small, covered by text, with cut off parts etc.)
Sometimes, the vectors made with purpose #1 in mind are just pretty images to look at and aren't meant to be used by others.

Tool used for realisation ?
Pencils, oil paints, canvas, paper, tablet, graphics program - take your pick. The tool doesn't matter, it's the end result that is judged.

And 'cause my style is enought different, I'm a little scared to never have an Elite 'cause it don't suit the staff. x'D
I don't think it's a matter of your style being "different", because that's not what Elite/HL is about. It would help if you elaborated a bit on the "different", since it's pretty vague right now and I can take that thought into more directions than it should go. Don't take this as me being mean or anything, but your style isn't that different from the anime one that it would be considered "ugly" or "unfit for Elite/HL" - basically, it's not that, urgh, special that it would cause you to be discriminated against *trying not to sound mean but obviously failing*

As for the judging process of what's Elite and what's Highlighted...it also has a subjective side, aside from the obvious technical one. It would help if you linked some works you think aren't deserving of Elite/HL status (not to point fingers or anything, just to have something to compare your statements to).

Honestly, your art is lovely, but I won't say whether it's fit for Elite/HL because I don't want to start a negative discussion (and someone higher in rank will probably clear your doubts anyway). And I do understand that you want it to be recognized, but - and this is gonna sound kind of preachy, but bear with me - you shouldn't create works with only aiming for Elite/HL in mind, because it makes you look desperate for attention.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

AngeKrystaleen

AngeKrystaleen

アンゲル

Thank you a lot for your kind answer ! =3

For vectors, I see correctly now, thank you ! ^^

For my style, about difference, sorry, I wrote my message very, VERY simply 'cause I have lots of difficulties to write long posts in english, so I don't really wrote things like they're in my mind. I had just a doubt about this point, but your answer tell me I'm wrong (by the way, if I unterstand correctly, sorry, sometime, my traduction is not good too... damn T.T), so I'm okay, it's just what I want to know =)

Uh, I don't really like give samples, I don't want offence anyone '^' But I think it'll me more easy to explain with them, finally (Sorry if somes artists read this ^^')
But heeeem... Count of darkness by Glukogen
Count of darkness by Glukogen for sample, this one... If I compare it to somes of my art (who seem not suitables for Elite), even if technique and style are different, I don't really see why it have an Elite.
It's also the case for these Oldschool anime ladies by Vornava
Oldschool anime ladies by Vornava & Divine Ancestry by Blueheart
Divine Ancestry by Blueheart & Rêverie-chan by Taitsujin
Rêverie-chan by Taitsujin & Botan-chan by DrOedi
Botan-chan by DrOedi (the anatomy, for me, is not really good, and their faces too to deserve an Elite ^^' )
But the one who surprise me a lot is this : A girl with a sword by aspirine008
A girl with a sword by aspirine008 It look just sketchy a lot ^^' Or also this : Miyuki-chan by khoianha10
Miyuki-chan by khoianha10

And maybe other, I dont' see all the Elite Gallery.

Of course, it's just my PERSONNAL opinion, and I NEVER tell I'm right ! ^^' (I prefer precise ! No offence !)

For HL, I have nothing to complain, all HL I see are just awesomes *o*

By the way, I wasn't on MT when I drew my drawings, I don't knew the Elite system either (until today !), so I don't do them or post them to have an Elite x'D I was sure someone tell me something like that, 'cause I must say my message look like I want one, but it's because I can't really wrote like I want T.T

So, I'll try to be more clear now : I draw principally for myself, and I don't care if people love what I do or not. But, I already had somes comments in the past who tell me my style are special, good or not good (it depend of tastes), etc etc. I'm fine with that. But I'm not fine if I can't have a "place" just 'cause my style don't suit at the staff on a website, I just find it particulary unfair. It's why I have a doubt about this point--> I TRY to EXPLAIN ! I's not critic MT about this ! (I try to do my best with my english, I don't want offence any Member Elite or Mod ^^' Sorry in advance if I don't use good words or expressions >.<"")
It's also because I already have somes problem with that on other websites... But if I understand correctly your answer, is not the case here, so I'm happy !

By the way, if I compare my work to samples I've done, yes, I must say I'm a little sad and disapointed ^^' And I think I'm not really alone to be honest... Uh... I guess x'D

*Nobody else... Feel Alone... Woops* <-- Just a joke x)

Is not the fact to have an Elite or not, it's the fact to see other arts who have, IN MY OPINION again, nothing more than mine to deserve an Elite, and have one. I'm fine if people think I've not enough skills for an Elite, I totally understand and accept this fact. I never say I'm a very good artist. But when I see somes other arts in Elite Gallery... Well... I'm wondering what's wrong with me/my art to not have one ! That's all =3 So it's why I want to know more about this !

Hope I was more clear and understandable ^^' And thank you again to take a little to your time to answer me, I appreciate !

*¤* 私は アンゲル です。 *¤*

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

So what you're saying is (without attacking anyone): "I want to know if there are any unknown/unstated in the Policy criteria for judging what can and cannot be considered elite artwork and/or which is the level of subjectivity an Elite Member/Mod applies when judging said artwork". Did I get it right?

Aside from the last two artworks you linked to, the rest look like they belong in the elite gallery in my opinion; they're well done from a technical point of view and, even though there are a few minor missteps as far as proportions are concerned, they can be easily ignored. I don't particularly agree with including artwork that's just copied from official images (last one) in the elite gallery unless it's modified significantly (personalized), but that's a personal opinion. And, well, I'll admit it: I kind of agree with you on the second-to-last one (the black&white girl); it looks...normal (as in, not that special that it'd deserve to be included in the elite gallery).

True, I myself have wondered in the past why some gallery items got into the elite gallery. Also, I think elite/HL works are also judged by what else is in the gallery at the moment, what style is trending, the general level of skill at the given moment etc. To support this theory, just check out old (2005-2007ish) wallpapers and fan art and you'll most definitely say most of them wouldn't get elite today. It's just that the gallery and criteria are always evolving and what is considered elite at the moment will most likely be considered poor in the future (with a few exceptions, naturally, there are some artworks that are awesome even by today's standards). An example from my own gallery (not drawings, though): this wallpaper got into the elite gallery at the time (2007); now, I'm positive that it wouldn't even be accepted into the gallery, let alone be included in the elite one :)

In the end, you've done the right thing by posting this. You'll get the answers you're looking for faster this way :)

Edit: I accidentally a few words.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

AngeKrystaleen

AngeKrystaleen

アンゲル

Yeah, you're right, it something like that I want to know, thank you a lot to help me to be more clear ! ^.^

Thank you also to give your opinion, it help me a lot to have a better idea. I also see that criteria about Elite seem change with time =) (It's why I've tried to give recent samples about Elited art by the way. Event if I don't really give more recent to be honest, 'cause hem... I don't want create any problem, or seem to be too pretentious about my art, due to my lack in english ^^')
I find it normal, but in the same time, a little disapointing for reasons I already give xD But it's okay !

Well, thank you again Dear =)

*¤* 私は アンゲル です。 *¤*

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

My best answer I can give you is simply this.

Don't prioritize eliting. I don't mean to imply that you are, but rather to simply look at it as a pleasant bonus for something instead of something to aim for. The reason I say this, is we generally get questions regarding eliting from those who want their works to be elited, so this is to simply say in case if part of the inquiry is about that. If not, my deepest apologies.

Both in terms of staffing, as well as material selected. Simply because as Minitokyo has grown, our standards have progressed as well. An item can be elited if the staff deems said item to have shown either progression in terms of of overall composition, or else a high quality item in general. Bear in mind too that once an item has been elited, just because our standards change does not mean it should be removed from elite status. It would end up creating a great deal of uproar, and more importantly discourage the individual.

Ultimately, what must be taken to heart is this.

Your opinion of what should be in elite and what shouldn't is going to differ from the standards and practices established by the Minitokyo staff.

While questioning it is perfectly fine, I would recommend doing so in a more constructive manner than simply calling out items. While being rather blunt, it comes across as rather crude in mannerism towards both the staff member who chose said item to be elited, as well as the member who's item was given said elite award. I know that isn't the case, as you've said, but to be fair not everyone here is on the same level in terms of artistic ability and skill. Therefore, Minitokyo does it's best to compensate for this. It would be hardly fair to simply elite items that were of only the highest caliber. It's incredibly discourage for one thing, and raises the standards absurdly high for the rest of the community to try and reach.

I hope this doesn't come across as a cruel response, as I know you are simply curious and are just trying to inquire. I hope this'll help shed some light, as well as perhaps offer some advice for further curiosity. I don't want this to discourage you from asking questions in the future though. Minitokyo encourages every member to speak up and ask questions when they have them.

Signature Image

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Everything pande and Cy said are spot on. However, I will add this:

If you see something that you think is deserving of being Elite (as in it fulfills all of the criteria outlined in the Policy) then please use the report function and give us your reasons why you think it should be Elite. We will review your nomination and if we agree with it then it will be Elite.

Conversely, some of those older pieces (as with the sketchy black and white one you linked) were actually in the wrong section of the gallery (probably scans) and when it is moved to Indy Art it is automatically added to the Elite Gallery. (It's a site glitch, and I've remedied that erroneous Elite item.)

Signature Image

AngeKrystaleen

AngeKrystaleen

アンゲル

Quote: Bear in mind too that once an item has been elited, just because our standards change does not mean it should be removed from elite status. It would end up creating a great deal of uproar, and more importantly discourage the individual.

Of course, I'm agree with that =)

For reasons I give with my sample, I've not detailled 'cause I know my opinion can differe, so I just tell a very simple reason. (And 'cause my english is not enough correct to be more constructive, sorry about that =( )
By the way, if you want more details, I'll just say that it's more because I not see what the drawings Elited have more than somes of mines, not because it don't deserve an Elite. I mean, in my art, compared to somes Elited art (recent !), the anatomy is not worse I think °°', colors and characters's face & expression too, idem for composition, I do full color, I don't recopy any scan, etc etc... Where's not the case for somes Elited work who are no colors, or no BG, are copies, or more lack visible in anatomy, for example =)

I DON'T say my art is BETTER ! ('Cause I think I can't really compare two differents styles or other). Just I don't see what they have less.
(By the way, I don't really want to know precisely, 'cause if my opinion is not the same as you, I'll just feel bad, and I think is useless XD)

So it's why I ask for more precisions ^.^ By the way, I'm happy to see you try to do your best to be the more fair possible !

And don't worry for your answer, I'm totally fine with it =) It's just a discussion after all, not a critic or something else ! So thank you to give me more precisions !

Thank you for the advice Firefltwishes ! (Oh ! Thank you also for the precision about this ! =3 )

Have a good day/night ! (Time zone bleeeh.... >.<""" )

*¤* 私は アンゲル です。 *¤*

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.