Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Wallpaper not showing up in list of recent walls? - Minitokyo

Wallpaper not showing up in list of recent walls?

Tagged under High School DxD

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

I posted a new wall a few days ago, and referred a friend to it on site who doesn't have an account. They had
trouble finding it -- checking in the recent wallpapers of all qualities it didn't show up.

I directed them to my user page and they could see it on the user page, but when they clicked on it, it said the image had been deleted or wasn't available.

I asked them for the exact message, but they said they could see the 2560x1600 but not the 1920x1080 size that they needed for their screen. (I uploaded both sizes) and that neither size was available on the recent walls page.

Is this some sort of bug?

Thanks -- & thought you should know. AFAIK, I don't have my walls limited to member's only downloading.

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Your wallpaper wasn't deleted or removed - it was simply moved to the Indy Art section because of a new rule regarding close-up vectors that was implemented a while back. You can read more about it here.

Signature

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

Um... but it's not indy art. To claim it is independently created art would be lying, and possibly expose MT to increased liability claiming that series-art was 'indy' art.

On top of that -- if it was designed for background/wallpaper display, it should be in a wallpaper section --

indy art, often isn't wallpaper sized.

That said, I don't know about now...but in the past, many indy-art walls were put in walls because they were walls... I could likely find many
that aren't from the series, but are obvious indy creations:

Every Ice Pokemon! by chubbykitty
Every Ice Pokemon! by chubbykitty
Every Ghost Pokemon by chubbykitty
Every Ghost Pokemon by chubbykitty
Challenge us by VanessaBR
Challenge us by VanessaBR
Every Dragon Pokemon Wallpaper by chubbykitty
Every Dragon Pokemon Wallpaper by chubbykitty
Alegria, Alegria! by VanessaBR
Alegria, Alegria! by VanessaBR
Looking back over my shoulder by VanessaBR
Looking back over my shoulder by VanessaBR
Every Ground pokemon! by chubbykitty
Every Ground pokemon! by chubbykitty
Every Dark pokemon! by chubbykitty
Every Dark pokemon! by chubbykitty
Every fire pokemon! by chubbykitty
Every fire pokemon! by chubbykitty
The One That gOt awAy by hitsu-chan
The One That gOt awAy by hitsu-chan -- says original art
A life for a life, a time for a time by Yina
A life for a life, a time for a time by Yina -- original art
Boundless by DarthTofu
Boundless by DarthTofu -- member art
Hell frozen rain by Deto15
Hell frozen rain by Deto15 -- head/art
Animabruma. by Tsunoh
Animabruma. by Tsunoh -- indy art
Shh...this is my world! by Raffachan
Shh...this is my world! by Raffachan -- indy art

---
Those are from the first page or two... most of them are not series art, most are indy art

If the intent is to populate the indy art section , there are plenty of examples of things that aren't series based.

FWIW, here's a pic of the official art, that is being labeled "indy art': http://imageshack.us/a/img844/2020/gremori720p.png ...

If one looks at my my background, it s entirely reconstructed...(had to be the 720p background was just too little detail)...

If the point is to get things in indy art -- I would suggest the option of considering "cross-posting"... i.e. some of the above are both indy art -- AND walls... (IMO)...

But calling something taken directly from the series 'indy art'... that's stretching it I'd think...

p.s. -- I submitted a 1920x1080 version as well, but it didn't seem to show up?...ideas?

Thanks...;-)

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

Props to you for digging so many wallpapers to prove your point!

Nowhere it says that wallpapers can't feature self made artwork, I mean, there's a reason why the Member Art tag exists. And the rest they all belong to the wallpaper section.

The indy art section encloses both the vector art gallery and fan art from members. Obviously your submission is not fan art, so no need to point out that. But you're missing out the reason why it's been moved to that gallery. And it has nothing to do with size.

If you read the thread that Alenas linked to you, you would have realised that submissions that featured mostly a close up of an anime character are moved to the indy art (actually vector art) gallery because little to no work is done in terms of creating a background. At Minitokyo, wallpapers are considered to be a combination of foreground+composition+background, where this last one aspect needs to have an extra of creativity. If the submission is an exact copy of, let's say, a screenshot, is more of a vector art work rather than a wallpaper.

If you want to put that up for your desktop, it's up to you, but it won't be considered as a wallpaper at Minitokyo.

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

All facial shots are immediately put under Indy Art instead of wallpapers, unless something really defines it as besides just a vectored piece. Since this is just a vectored close up, it was moved to there.

This has been a rule that has been in effect for the duration of the time I was a moderator, which was two years.

I hope this helps!

Signature Image

Astara

Astara

Scanner, Artistic

Artist creativity and intent shouldn't be discounted.

The opposite of creativity is Rigidity.

Rigidness is from the same root word as 'Rigour' as in rigor mortis -- a sign of death. Perhaps anyone who has rigid ideas of what is creativity is, should consider retirement.

It's interesting how whenever I do something creative it's called something else.

It's not a vector -- that's the first comment.

It has a vector in it, but that's why vectors are done of original art. The background is entirely original and not vectored, but in order to see that you'd have to actually look at it.

As for things being done some way for 2 years.. that's way too long for the internet -- that simply means lack of growth on an internet site. Is that why site views and submissions are down nearly 75% from a year ago?... or was it just the rigid views and hostile attitudes towards fledgling artists?

Seems like my other wall paper was the one that the moderators, here, nearly unanimously, told me was **impossible** for anyone to do -- that it was BEYOND the creative skills of anyone on the site. Yet I came up with a wall from it.

Now let me ask you this... if my picture isn't creative -- show me *1* still that someone created from a live anime and put in their own background -- show me one that has the clarity and size mine does at 2x screen size. You won't find one because no one is creative enough to figure out how.

Of course -- the fact that no one has done it -- or the fact that no one does lots of things -- isn't "creativity" when I do it -- because no one else is able to do it. You consider it some magic trick or sleight of hand -- that isn't " real " creativity. But when someone does something that no one else came up with the idea for -- that is creativity. Churning out walls every few days like many veteran wallers do isn't a sign of creativity -- it's a site of mindless, rote production.

Real creativity isn't being rigid and rule-bound, nor is it being hateful and spiteful.

As a perfect example of the admins' idea of creativity -- and how perfectly wrong they have it -- take the wide-screen low-res scan that replaced mine -- that was used for my other wallpaper. How many people have used that scan to make a wall? Show me 1 wall made from that scan. There isn't one -- why? It's a wide screen in a setting that doesn't allow for
creativity and do something that is meaningful to the series -- so no one uses it.

However, IF it had been a high res scan, of the central character of the series... which mine was, then someone with extreme creativity and talent (completely beyond the abilities of anyone on here, I was told), could remove the superfluous elements and create a wall of the primary character of the series (s1+2 anyway). Yet did I get 1 compliment from anyone here?....

Rigidity and sameness (2 years?) is antithetical to creativity... Ask ANY one -- without any context about this discussion -- if rigidity and sameness foster or are examples of creativity... and think about changing your rules to respect and nurture people instead of trying to kill them.

merged: 12-01-2012 ~ 10:42am
and -- still -- no one has commented on why the 1920x1080 version isn't available ?....

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

I really don't see how you manage to see this as hateful and spiteful.

Your artwork is still here, it hasn't been removed or deleted. It's still in the Minitokyo gallery and if people want to use it as a Wallpaper, they certainly can do that if they want to. It has only been moved to another category which isn't any less valuable or important than the Wallpaper category.
But, as Fran already mentioned "If the submission is an exact copy of, let's say, a screenshot, is more of a vector art work rather than a wallpaper." You even mentioned in your description that the background was redid in a similar style which means it was meant to be similar to the original screenshot.

No one is belittling your work here or claiming there was no effort and time spent in doing it. However, when it comes to wallpapers, backgrounds must be seen as compositional backgrounds, not just little corners of space hidden by a large close-up of an anime/manga character. They also must contain at least some level of creativity and/or originality as opposed to being, again, just close-up vector copies of the original scans. The same example can be seen here (http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/594569) - the member also posted it as a wallpaper but since they basically did nothing else than vector the scan and crop it to turn it into a close-up of the character, it was also moved to Indy Art category as Vector Art. And your submission IS categorized as Vector Art since more than 60% of your submission is dominated by a close-up vector image of the character.

Again, no one has said anything against your submission, it was accepted and it can be used as members see fit so I really don't see why you're making such a fuss over a simple change in the name.

Also, both versions ARE available - you can see both of them as two little squares next to the bigger thumbnail version of your first main submission when you click on it, so that one didn't go anywhere, either.

Signature

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dfClHjAuXrE/St5zlJ6OoQI/AAAAAAAABK0/2ART0Oxis4k/s400/Party+Cat+by+Anthony+Clark+of+Nedroid.jpg

Anime websites in general are down in terms of views and submissions simply due to the decline of anime websites. This has been a gradual process over the last few years and isn't limited to simply Minitokyo.

Your piece still remains in the gallery, we have answered your question(s). Closing thread.

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to Bug Reports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.