Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Cant color or even draw hair! - Minitokyo

Cant color or even draw hair!

page 1 of 1 6 total items

aurorawitch

aurorawitch

Lack of inspiration

I've been working on my first vector of Miku since months before. Here is the vector. And here is the original scan I'm trying to vectorize.

I've changed the scan a little bit(okay too much) but I cant draw hair. Please show me some way to draw it. I'm really stuck!

And also if you tell me your advises about overall art that would be awesome too...

Epic fail :DSignature Image

Nysha

Nysha

Eye Candy Maker!

Well first of all, this is not a vector; it is a painting because you are using raster brushes to color her. ;)

Your lines are looking rather thin and wobbly, and just overall inconsistent. May I ask how you created the lines? Did you paint them by hand or did you use the pen (vector) tool? Depending on which method you used I can point you in a direction to help manage your layers.

As for the hair, you have your base color down, and a bit of a shadow color (the darker blue), but the white highlight lines are not working at all because they do not follow the curvature of her head as the hair naturally falls over it. I would recommend deleting this white line layer and work more on laying the shadows down first. You already have your lineart so you can see how it curves and flows over her head. Use the lineart as a guide to help place your shadow colors. Once you have a feasible hair structure down, you can make a new layer and paint in the hair highlights. Work step by step like this in separate layers and the hair will start building.

You can also check out my hair tutorial to see what I mean: http://missnysha.deviantart.com/art/Hair-Coloring-Tutorial-186007368
I do not use lineart in my example though.

Signature Image

aurorawitch

aurorawitch

Lack of inspiration

Quote by NyshaWell first of all, this is not a vector; it is a painting because you are using raster brushes to color her. ;)

Your lines are looking rather thin and wobbly, and just overall inconsistent. May I ask how you created the lines? Did you paint them by hand or did you use the pen (vector) tool? Depending on which method you used I can point you in a direction to help manage your layers.

As for the hair, you have your base color down, and a bit of a shadow color (the darker blue), but the white highlight lines are not working at all because they do not follow the curvature of her head as the hair naturally falls over it. I would recommend deleting this white line layer and work more on laying the shadows down first. You already have your lineart so you can see how it curves and flows over her head. Use the lineart as a guide to help place your shadow colors. Once you have a feasible hair structure down, you can make a new layer and paint in the hair highlights. Work step by step like this in separate layers and the hair will start building.

You can also check out my hair tutorial to see what I mean: http://missnysha.deviantart.com/art/Hair-Coloring-Tutorial-186007368
I do not use lineart in my example though.

Oh, I'm really bad at words. I didn't even know that rendering and vectorizing are different things untill two onths ago :D

I didn't use vector tool at all actually. I totally draw it. My hands are shaking when drawing that's why my lines are wobby or so. I have erased the white highlightes right now. But really, when I try to do proper shadow it turnes out too blurry or too sharp. I think I just chose the wrong picture to start...

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Quote by aurorawitchOh, I'm really bad at words. I didn't even know that rendering and vectorizing are different things untill two onths ago :D

I didn't use vector tool at all actually. I totally draw it. My hands are shaking when drawing that's why my lines are wobby or so. I have erased the white highlightes right now. But really, when I try to do proper shadow it turnes out too blurry or too sharp. I think I just chose the wrong picture to start...

Well, drawing/painting without the help of a graphic tablet is really hard, actually. I'm not saying it's impossible but having the tablet really helps. That's why it would be really useful to learn how to use the Pen Tool for lineart purposes - that way your lines would be crisp and clean and most important of all - not shaky and wobbly at all. I think you can also use Nysha's awesome vectoring tutorial that she made (LINK) for that.

Choosing a picture is not the problem, really, it's the tools you use. What kind of brushes do you use for shading/highlights? Of course, you can also use Pen Tool for shading/coloring purposes and make the lines very neat and clean and then blur them slightly if you want to achieve that smoother or softer look. But, for example, when I paint my wallpapers, I usually use the normal default round brush (not the soft round one), first block in colors that I want to use and then simply smudge the colors the way I want. You can also play with the brush options and make it more transparent at the edges by tweaking the brush options and getting different results (I'm assuming you're using Photoshop here).

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Like Alen said, tablets help a lot even if most of it depends on you. Some help sometimes turns things into something great to look at. The size of brushes and everything about the materials is important. Before I started failing making walls since I stopped for 3 and a half years, I used multiple programs for 1 wallpaper. I tuned everything about it and added different effects or repeated effects to see differences and what looks better.
If you're drawing just by hand and nothing else, you're amazing. I can't even draw a circle without the use of advanced technology.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

aurorawitch

aurorawitch

Lack of inspiration

That would be really lot easier if i chose short hair but i dont know where to start when it comes to the hair this long. I want it to be realistic and look cool. Then i will probably work on general shading and lines. But first i need to see hair.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.