Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 CONTEST: Review Battle! - Minitokyo

CONTEST: Review Battle!

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Mt-Maigetsu

Administrator

Mt-Maigetsu

Fillling you in on the latest.

Hello, minna-san! Some of us thought that it's about time for a site-wide review contest, and we would LOVE for everyone to participate! Here’s how it works:

Just write the best stinking review you can and submit it! Yes, it’s pretty much that simple - we just want to see who is worthy of the title of MT‘s Shakespeare. But here are a few details just to help you out:

Anyone can compete, no prior review-writing experience necessary.

The review can cover any form of media allowed on the site: Games, TV series, OVAs, or manga.

Individual and collaborations alike are allowed, as long as both reviewers pull their weight in the collaboration. If you are collaborating, simply have one of the collaborators submit it under their name and at the beginning of the review mention the names of both collaborators and both reviewers will receive credit and, should they win, equal levels of prizes.

Each contestant can submit only one review for judging. If you want to write more than one, by all means do so, but you must pick your favorite for the competition. The only exception to this is for those who choose to write collaborations. If you collaborate, you are allowed a solo submission as well and both can be submitted for judging.

Remember to follow all MT review rules: No strong language, no spoilers, and no plagiarism.

In order to submit a review for the competition, please comment on this thread with a link to the review you would like to submit and make a note at the beginning of the review that it is for the contest.

Judging - All reviews will be judged based on the following:

Thoroughness - You don’t have to (and really shouldn’t) write a novel, but make sure you give each section the attention it deserves. Also, sections don’t have to be identical in length, but make sure you’re not writing an epic for the story section and two sentences for the sound section.

Style - Or, how interesting is your review? This includes humor, wit, language usage, and just about anything else about a writer’s style that separates them from a heartless computer. The review shouldn't come across as completely biased, but figure out how to be interesting while still being honest and fair.

Objectivity - No review is going to be completely without bias, but you certainly need to be fair without seeming like a complete fan girl or a troll. Look at the media from all angles, and not just your own personal taste. Going along with this, make sure your rating is appropriate given what you've written. Writing about several flaws only to give the show a perfect 10 doesn't look so good.

Balance - This goes hand in hand with the other categories. You need to be thorough, but not so long-winded that you lose readers’ interest. You need to be creative and unique, but not get so lost in your own thoughts that you forget your review is supposed to be helping the reader. You need to be objective, but not robot-like.

Help!
If you are having trouble or just want someone to look over your review, please feel free to contact pandemonium91 or SolemnSerpent! They are here to help as advisers and will give you tips if you need them.

Prizes
After the deadline, the judges will look through the submissions and choose a first, second, and third place winner, which we will then announce. If pride and glory aren't enough for you, winners will also be showered with prizes! Prizes are as follows and will be made for winners by a wonderful staff member (you will be put in contact with them when you win!):
1st place: Userpage/signature/icon pack, banner
2nd place: signature/icon combo, banner
3rd place: banner

Non-participants, you can have some say in the judging too! Leave thoughtful comments on participating reviews, and if you point out things that are good or bad about the review we’ll take your two cents into account when we, the judges, make our final decisions.

DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: MAY 5th

If you are interested in competing, please comment on this thread so that we can have an idea of how many submissions to expect.

BUT WAIT, THAT'S NOT ALL!
If you don't think you'll be able to submit a review but still want to be involved in the contest, here's your chance. In addition to the two or three staff member judges, we would like to extend the opportunity for 2 members to be on board as judges as well. If you would like to be a judge, send a PM to SnickerdoodleNinja explaining in EXACTLY 20 words - no more, no less - why you should be a judge. The staff will then look over the submissions and the two members with the most compelling arguments will be brought on board as judges with votes that weigh just as heavily as the votes of the staff members. Once the decision is made, an announcement will be made showing all of the 20 word submissions we received and the revealing of the two winners as well. The deadline for this mini-competition is APRIL 10th, so get started!

Signature
	Image(The Policy) A must read! (The Userguide) For day to day living!
(Forum guidelines) Keeping it clean! (Common problems and their solutions) Got you covered!
Visit HeadQuarters for more juicy goodness or contact your nearest friendly moderator.

This sounds fun, time to dust off the reviewing cobwebs!

"Something beyond comprehension can inspire fear, or awe in people".

Daydreamer1

Daydreamer1

V2FFTB

It seems people are not up for the task.. but even so.. Gambara nakya!

:)

merged: 04-23-2013 ~ 07:22pm
I don't know. No one seems interested, which leaves me quite disappointed. And even if i won, i wont be one bit happy until its a fair fight . Get some enthusiasm people, common, get your back into it. Please...!

Any way, i wanted to use this opportunity to come into this field. Yup, thats right, this is the first review of my life :)

"Why, that means you wanna win?, No?"

Not exactly, loosing with a competition is far better then winning without one, and i will keep cursing you guys if i got any prize without any competition.. :(((
Take that as a challenge all you review writers.

Looking forward to your comments people, me new in this field, please help me get better ;)
You may find my review here:
http://reviews.minitokyo.net/1844

Well I finally got one done, i did a review of this one a while back, but rewatched it and felt like my last review just didn't do it justice, so I decided to delete the old one and start from scratch, hope you enjoy http://reviews.minitokyo.net/1845

merged: 04-24-2013 ~ 02:12am
Well I finally got one done, i did a review of this one a while back, but rewatched it and felt like my last review just didn't do it justice, so I decided to delete the old one and start from scratch, hope you enjoy http://reviews.minitokyo.net/1845

"Something beyond comprehension can inspire fear, or awe in people".

Mt-Maigetsu

Administrator

Mt-Maigetsu

Fillling you in on the latest.

Minna-san! The deadline for submissions has been extended until MAY 5th!

Can't wait too see all of the new shiny reviews!

Signature
	Image(The Policy) A must read! (The Userguide) For day to day living!
(Forum guidelines) Keeping it clean! (Common problems and their solutions) Got you covered!
Visit HeadQuarters for more juicy goodness or contact your nearest friendly moderator.

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

I'll just leave this here...
http://reviews.minitokyo.net/1842

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

I completely forgot about posting the collaborative review I did with Distortion. It's located right here.

Hopefully, we'll see a few more contestants before the end!

Signature Image

animefreak114

animefreak114

The Cranky Anime Critic

Well here goes nothing..

My Review:

http://reviews.minitokyo.net/1846

hope you guys enjoy!

"I despise common sense. I've seen the world from every possible angle. This cruel, this ridiculous, this beautiful world..."

Weskalia

Weskalia

Half robotic cat half desbear

Looks like I'm the last one, so only one review can be submitted. Too bad, I was hoping to submit both. Anyway, I put my Bakuman. review for the contest.

I'm believing you and I can do anything. We can change the world.
Hey, sky's the limit, we can spread wings. Through roadless travel, together we go!
Signature

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

My first and only review so far will join the battle as well. Good luck to us :3

http://reviews.minitokyo.net/1851

Since I write satires, my whole life is one huge inspiration. (Horatius)
Signature

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

We'll be cutting off any further submissions since it is May 5th today.

However, unless Snicker would like to allow submissions throughout the entirety of the fifth, I shall leave this thread open and this post subject to change.

A big thank you to everyone who chose to participate so far! I'm glad to see so many people decided to join in after the date was extended!

Signature Image

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

I think it's safe to go ahead and close this thread.

Thanks so much to all the participants! The judges will look over all of the reviews shortly, so keep your eye out for an announcement thread in the next few days or so. Can't wait to read all of the submissions! :)

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to News | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.