Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is a college degree enough nowadays? - Minitokyo

Is a college degree enough nowadays?

page 1 of 1 13 total items

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

I was reading an interesting opinion piece in the paper the other day that basically made the claim that just having a degree from a 4-year university (Bachelor's Degree) is not enough to stand out/succeed in today's job market. According to the author, in order to stand out in a sea of applicants, a person must have at least a Master's Degree (in addition to internships).

What are your thoughts on his point of view? Is it possible to be financially successful in today's world with only a Bachelor's Degree?

Signature Image

o.o'
i hope it is enough..
w-what else did the article say? o.o'
I guess i'll get to experience it first hand in a few months -.-'

Maybe what the person meant by 'financially successful' was different?
But, even I think just a bachelor's degree is really insufficient these days... Almost everyone I know has a degree and it's no longer a very significant figure of merit of the person these days(i mean, look! even i am getting one! -.-')

Even I myself didn't feel as if i've really learned something that is enough to use to earn money for the rest of my life. No, i know too less, there are too many things I feel i must know and understand before i can dream of becoming successful.

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Compiler, like you, I'm not sure how sufficient a Bachelor's degree is in measuring the merit of a person... or how successful they will be. Some of the most successful people in today's world did not finish college.

I think society has ingrained the idea of higher education with higher pay/success, so that students feel they HAVE to attend a 4-year university, even though there are plenty of great careers to be had with a 2-year degree or via vocational training.

Most students entering college nowadays don't have a clue what they want to do and end up changing their major 2-3 times. Even after graduating, many graduates find jobs that were not in their field of study. (I can't tell you how many of my engineering friends are now working in Human Resources or doing clerical things---)

Signature Image

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

I've participated in a few internships before and, while most are free (as in, interns don't get any money), there are some who pay their interns and even recruit them for a permanent position after the internship is over. IMO, here, internships during college are more of a way to gain experience to fill your CV rather than actually make money; of course, some get lucky and find jobs during college, but having to attend classes and go to work at basically the same time proves to be too difficult most of the time. Sure, you can catch up later and study from the notes of others, but it's not quite like sitting in class and hearing everything.

But I'm straying from the subject. Getting a job with only a Bachelor's Degree depends on you (what you're looking for, your qualifications), on the potential employer (what tasks they need the potential employee to perform and what qualifications they require), on the economic situation and so on. There's also a bit of luck about it, though, let's be fair, and networking can play an important part in this too. Knowing the "right" people can make the job finding process a lot easier, if not downright negligible.

Most of my former classmates are currently applying for the Master's courses, but some have found jobs and are either satisfied with what they have and don't plan on continuing with a Master's, or they're just taking a break to gain more experience, save up, cool down after getting the Bachelor's Degree etc. As for me, I'm currently applying for a Master's Degree as well. Honestly, you do get more for being more qualified, but that's mostly if you manage to get into a company where your superior qualifications are actually needed. Nobody's going to care that you have a Master's Degree in Advertising if you're working a low-level job at a fast-food joint. It depends on how well the country's doing as well, financially, socially, infrastructure-wise etc.

To use my own country (Romania) as an example, people complain that there are no jobs available for qualified accountants, engineers, doctors etc.; however, this also has to do with corruption (yeah, concept overused to hell and back, I know), poor management of funding and investments (both local and international), social and political instability etc. From this point of view, working in the private sector (corporations) has many more advantages for the individual than working in the public one: while the public sector is very vulnerable (in the last few years, salaries have suffered a decrease of 25% and only small increases since then), the private one is a bit more stable - at least as far as bigger companies go. Of course, there's also the risk of private companies packing up their shit one day and just leaving the country and hundreds of unemployed people behind (I'm looking at you, Nokia).

And I'll end it here because it's already an essay and I'm pretty sure I've either chased everyone away or bored them to death ^^"

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

in my opinion you can make it without a college degree, but it depends on what you're going into. such as writing, or even the hospital field. a CNA for example can make quite a lot of money and that takes only a few weeks, there's also an LPN before one even begins the nursing degree, however as you go up you make the money. whereas in other fields, computers for example, you can do a few months and be out. but, with price inflation, the cost of living, etc, one cannot always make it. so, for starters don't live beyond your means and take it safely. living with other individuals does work well. and it depends on the person, if you want to pursue further degrees then go for it. but all things require internships and a lot of fields require one to have x amount of years under their belt so it's best to start out with a college degree, begin working (if possible) and then return to school shortly and start further, this way you will have training, experiences, etc and money to boot.

but this is from my personal experiences and watching and learning, and facts can be brought up via the net to possibly back up these claims as well.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Not enough for various reasons, one of them being that degrees can be bought. Unless you graduate from prestige, don't expect to be noticed very much, and being noticed for qualities is something every person needs in order to succeed. Success is varying though, some people think working 9 to 5 is a great way to live life, others don't work and sit at home all day but earn $8000 a month. Also depends where you live that governs your way of life, but overall you should just enjoy what you do which is most important, people will say 'this is enough' when they get a handle on work they love to do regardless of the pay and income.

To some people - Happiness > Money
To others - Money = Happiness
To few - Money > Happiness

All different groups of people who will tell you things that completely seem to disagree with the last person who gave you an answer to the same question. As for myself, I am leisurely not working and earning money from several areas monthly, handling complaints from time to time, but the 'working hard' phrase has already passed for me until maybe 5 years from now.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

I pursonaly don't think you need a Bachelor's Degree to be financially successful in today's world, it all deppends were your goal in life is leading you to. It's like some have comented befor me, some done't really see having lots of money and houses all over the world as succesful and i mean lets be honest we all would love that but for somw it just wouldn't be who we are. Plus can you emagine going to college for 4 years and in the end beig told you don't have enough experies >:o i would be like "i want my 4 years back" well depending on watch college you wer and if you had fun.

Well that's my opinion, hope to her you'rs

(>.< sorry for the bad grammer and speling)

Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Technically the world today is a perfect example of morbidly frightful stupidity.

You can have as many qualifications or be seen as intelligent, but unfortunately fail when it comes to doing your job. People like to separate what is important and what is not important, but in 'reality', a task is still a task. Similar to how people said games don't prove anything when games illustrate human behavior as bare as it can be. That's just 1 example.

Overall degrees prove nothing, qualifications also prove nothing. Imo it all balls down to how smart you can be in which case many people can also fake being smart based on stupidly weak foundations.

I don't think anything is 'enough' - because no matter what you have, the majority of people in general is too weak minded and indecisive to be able to achieve anything 'great' in their lives. Staying as common workers and laborers is the best way for lesser evolved people, unfortunately if you're born trash, you'll probably live that way for a long time.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

It depends on how much you study and learn in your particular field. Certificates and additional requirements aside from degrees tend to complicate things and aren't particularly useful. Those things do create more jobs and more tests to pass, which gives you a piece of paper saying you know something (that you may have already known).

Companies are too hung up on degrees and certifications. Real knowledge doesn't have to be associated with pieces of paper from schools.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Though, to twist the thread, if you're going to rule out qualifications in a perfect world, it'll be good if people can suggest how else we can gauge if people are good enough for the job. Consider yourself a wealthy owner who needs to manage his own company, how will you go about appointing managers and workers if not by certified qualification?

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

YHE

YHE

What The Freak !!!

Job inquirers will prioritize to hire someone with a Master's degree (or Doctoral whoa) over to that bachelors degree.
They are given a higher position too compared to those bachelors, but skills also matters.

Master's degree is a good thing if your are going to apply for a job, but you won't need it if your not.
Just be a Businessman and your the boss. Just requires skills and intellectual ***(I don't know the right term)..
Farming is also good. You won't need a masters degree, because your the one that will manage your own farm.
Either way both of this need Financial Capital, so just take Master's degree LOL :D

Y ou
H ave
E mailSignature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

I know this is an old thread but Darth touched on a good point in her last comment.

People often forget that employers don't pay you money for having a piece of paper. Getting a job is about either convincing the owner of a smaller company that you can make him money, or convincing a middle manager of a larger company that you can make his life easier. Sure formal qualifications help but they are not even 1/5th of the battle.

Sometimes you'll find that raw passion for an area of work will drive a candidate who never went to school to out perform those who did, especially in more creative fields.

One thing I consider more important than a degree is previous work i.e. a portfolio. Even if you havn't had any professional work yet and it's only made up of projects you put together in your free time. I've found that being able to actually show a potential employer what you can do is far better than waving a piece of paper that only really proves that you did retentively better on an exam than some of your peers.

Steffi1690

Moderator, Scanner

Steffi1690

~Living in my Dreamworld~

From what I know it's not enough! Though I have never experienced it nor have I ever studied! I only knew it from my sis and my cousins! A Bachelor degree is not good enough! You at least need work experience too! Best is to have the Master and also many work experience or you want get anything!
One problem is many ppl are going studying because they dont want to start working yet! Or better to say they do not know what they want to become yet... or is it like that only in Austria and Germany?

But there is also the possibility that your family has there own company or you have some connections.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to School & Work | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.