Hayao Miyazaki Retires From Making Feature Films

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Fran

Retired Moderator, Tagger, Linguistics

Fran

better than your faves tbh

Cancel

Quote: Studio Ghibli President Koji Hoshino announced on Sunday that studio founder and world-renowned anime filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki will "retire from the production of feature-length films." The announcement was made during a press conference at Italy's Venice Film Festival, one of the three most prestigious film festivals in the world. Ghibli's announcement does not rule out the possibility of Miyazaki working on shorter projects or other endeavors.

The 72-year-old director's 11th and latest feature film, The Wind Rises (Kaze Tachinu), has been playing in theaters in Japan since July 20. The film was nominated in the competitive program at the Venice Film Festival, which is running from August 28 to September 7.

Miyazaki rose to prominence in the 1970s on such television anime series as Lupin III, Future Boy Conan, and Sherlock Hound. He directed his first feature film, Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, in 1979. He then adapted the beginning of his Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind manga into an anime film in 1984, before he and fellow director Isao Takahata founded Studio Ghibli.

With Ghibli, Miyazaki helmed the feature films Laputa: Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, and finally, The Wind Rises. He also co-produced Takahata's directorial efforts and directed smaller projects such as the "experimental film" On Your Mark and Ghibli Museum Shorts such as Mei and the Kitten Bus and Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess.

Spirited Away remains the highest earning film ever at the Japanese box office, 12 years after it opened in 2001. It won the Academy Award for Best Animated Film in 2003.

In an interview on Japanese television channel TBS's Ō-sama no Brunch program, Miyazaki revealed that he is open to the possibility of a Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind film sequel. However, he would leave such a hypothetical project in the hands of Nausicaä key animator and Evangelion director Hideaki Anno. Anno collaborated with Miyazaki and Ghibli on "Kyoshinhei Tokyo ni Arawaru" (Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo), last year's live-action tokusatsu (special-effects) short, and he then voiced the lead role in Miyazaki's The Wind Rises.

Source: NHK via animenewsnetwork

Really sad news. Hopefully this is not the last thing we hear from him.

Signature ImageLatest submission: Trouble Makers
tag-liciousvector-wallers
Lol omg, click on quote in guestbook instead of spamming your own stuff, SMH

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Cancel

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! X-x

...death wails aside, I can see why he would be ready to retire at 72, especially since it looks like he will be stopping on a high note. Still, it is a shame. I liked that his movies had appeal even to people who don't usually watch anime because he didnt succumb to the stereotypes that a lot of people associate with anime.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Cancel

Agree with Snicker... really sad news, but it is a retirement well deserved.

I'd be interested in what the "other endeavors" might be...

Signature Image

Horseradish

Horseradish

A-R-T-P-O-P

Cancel

NU-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU----

i couldn't even write a proper comment right now. haha.
i'm quite at a loss for words to say..... ಥ_ಥ

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HxBvSS951Tg/UOsxc5A8bqI/AAAAAAAAFFk/sOouqk_mMz8/s1600/spirited-away.gif

GAWD. my memories of his films come flashing in my mind right now. this is SO SAD. (TTTT^TTTT)
as much as i want him to continue, i also concur with Snicker. he has definitely earned that retirement if he wants to.
his legacy will forever be in my mind and heart. even if he retires now, i still hope that Studio Ghibli will continue to make amazing and breathtaking films.

hoping also that this will not be the last that we hear or see from him.

Signature

Huesin

Moderator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

Cancel

I'm as sad as the first time I watched Grave of the Fireflies.. really sad news.. but Hayao Miyazaki sensei its just 72.. let's hope he lives 'till his 100th birthday and he keeps doing projects on his own =/

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

Horseradish

Horseradish

A-R-T-P-O-P

Cancel

i'm hoping and wishing that some day Studio Ghibli and CoMix Wave would have an epic feature-length film collaboration. :D

Signature

Nihonkan3

Nihonkan3

Bad hair day..

Cancel

This is a very sad news but I wish Hayao Miyazaki all the best in his retirement days. Time for him to rest after all the years of hardwork. Thank you for all the marvellous movies that will live in my heart forever! I will not forget the magic I feel when I watch Spirited Away. *thumbs up*

Signature

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Cancel

Aw so sad to see this ;_;
but feeling happy for him, he did such a wonderful job, more than sad I am thankful to have the luck of watching almost all of his wonderful films, which always had that special feeling. And is not that he's going to shut in his room from now on, I'm sure he will come with more new and wonderful stuff, also he has a legacy that will continue making wonderful stories ;).

Signature Image
This day we fight!

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

Cancel

Sad to see him retire, but as has been said it is well deserved. Now, I want to watch his films again in tribute. : ) So many good times... they make you think and feel so much.

tishdon

tishdon

Lost in Transit

Cancel

This is really sad news. But then I can't really say that I've ever really liked any of the Ghibli films that I have watched, and I now avoid watching films produced by Ghibli studios.

However despite this small detail I am sad that such a talented person is retiring, even if it is entirely well deserved!

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.