Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 About our Universe and other stuff - Minitokyo

About our Universe and other stuff

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Video that made me make this post:

Spoiler (show)

So, lately I was on a VSauce marathon on youtube when I bumped into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG1JpC5jels
(ok, some things in that video might be a bit misleading or totally wrong, but it's good to watch it if you've never ever wondered about things mentioned in it)
it was an interesting video, however, at 14:26 things became a bit confusing. 'They found that the farther out they looked, the faster they were moving away from us' So this means that the rate of expansion of universe(or rather, a set of stars and galaxies which originated from a big bang,(and not a universe which is everything that 'is', 'has been' and 'will be')) is not linear with space? That means, that the farther parts of universe are moving at faster rate than inner parts? that seems somewhat doubtful, anyways that's not my point.
It just triggered my thinking after quite some time, and it was related to science and somewhat interesting, so I thought I'll share my thoughts on MT and hear others' thoughts.
Then it says at http://youtu.be/dG1JpC5jels?t=18m6s that our universe is just like a bubble in water like other universes in an endless void. (you can skip that monkey stuff after that)
So here goes:

____
Hubble space telescope saw galaxies which are of less than 10% of the universe's age in 'deep space'. That is, at a very far away distance, the Hubble space telescope could see Galaxies from past.

If you don't know it already, You do not see/hear/feel anything from the present. It's always from the past. Light has a finite speed and nothing we know is faster than light. So the time it takes to reach you is finite. So for objects which are incredibly far away from you, you can't see them at their present state, you always see their past. Actually, you don't even look at Sun in its present state, you always look at an 8 minutes past version of the Sun and it's the closest star to us! As your distance from stars increases, the more time it takes for light from them to reach you

in short, the farther you look, the more back in time you see!

Limits of our universe
____
Now, what this made me think is: If Hubble telescope saw some old galaxies in some part of the universe, What about other parts?! I mean, if the Universe originated from the Big Bang, that means, if we're seeing old galaxies, they should be 'inwards' this expanding universe.
Then what is 'outwards'? It is possible, that if they turn the telescope to other direction, They'd see that 'void' outside our universe.. or the place where stars expanding from the universe haven't reached yet, or they HAVE reached there, but since we're seeing the 'past' of that region, we're seeing nothing.
But, I have never heard of any telescope seeing the void ._.
If anyone knows anything about this, please share with us.

Outside our Universe?
____
But what I discussed just now, was assuming that the density of time-space is uniform throughout the universe we live in, and it's so because as the video said, it might be a part of a greater time-space void.
But is it really so? I've never heard that theory before watching this video.
What I had heard before was that 'the density of time and space is not the same', that 'our universe is the only one whose time and space we live in', that there was nothing 'before' big bang, and nothing 'outside' the universe, that 'time-space being our universe itself, that the terms 'before' and 'outside' lose their meaning in context of origin of universe and limits of universe'
^ and those things are damn confusing, if time is not the same everywhere, space is not the same everywhere, what the hell do we compare with >.<"
So which one do you think is more correct? Or do you know something about it?

Silly rant about dimensions and black holes
____
And now, something totally stupid; I'll share with you an idea of mine:
travelling near light speeds makes time fast for you. I thought that i's just like how a looong line in one dimension in space can just appear as a small dot in another space dimension (the entire infinite y axis in 2-D space is just one point, x=0 on x axis) you just have to move sideways (from the infinite y-axis to the x-axis)
in case of time, long time appears as short time, you just have to travel fast. That means, there's some similarity in those space dimensions and time dimension
In space, it was because of hopping from one dimension to another (from y to x)
And we observe, a very similar phenomenon in case of time where time appears to become short at higher speeds, so is it possible that time has multiple dimensions too? and moving faster is like changing from one dimension to another? Well, I know it's not a very original idea, I mean there's a whole article on it on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_time_dimensions and many many stories have that concept
But you see.. honestly speaking, I didn't get one word of what was written in there -.-'
isn't there an easier way to explain it? -.-'
oh and i just had a cursory glance at the second question posed here: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/fall_in.html
when you enter a black hole's event horizon, for normal time dimension, it seems infinite time for you to reach there. But for the thing that's fallen in, it has a finite time and is actually a different co-ordinate, just how the origin of x-axis is a finite point, but for someone on y co-ordinate, it seems like and infinite line.
Now consider this: if time is said to have 'started' before the big bang and didn't exist before it, then it's like the origin of a new co-ordinate, isn't it? And then we just saw that black holes have a different co-ordinate of their own. Doesn't it seems similar? Is a black hole somehow linked to an event horizon? Is a black hole, a birthplace for a universe? Just that the universe is in a totally different dimension.. has our universe originated from a black hole too? But maybe only some humongous black holes could've made our universe, i guess, cuz to create so much mass it should have absorbed so much mass from some other universe, and then sent it here.. maybe black holes are just pathways between universes? There are so many mysterious possibilities in space out there.

So share your own thoughts and opinions or even silly-ideas like i did here. Thanks for reading :)
(and sorry for typos if any. If you didn't get any part of this because of my somewhat poor english and a very poor ability to explain things, please let me know, I'll try to tell it in a better way)

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

Yes, the universe has boundaries, but within those boundaries are infinite possibilities based on the energy and beings that inhabit said universe. Aside from what we can measure through science from our own physical means, there are even higher levels of control helping the universe along and maintaining it (check out the Urantia book - please keep in mind it goes over religion, evolution and other topics too, so please approach with an open mind).

Multiple time dimensions or just multiple dimensions are a very interesting topic. It also feels like parallel universes comes into this arena as well. While these entities may exist at the same time we do, they are not so easily accessible as sending a satellite into space. In my opinion, earth-based science is a very very long way from actually being able to touch on these (beyond conjecture and talk).

"But what I discussed just now, was assuming that the density of time-space is uniform throughout the universe we live in, and it's so because as the video said, it might be a part of a greater time-space void.
What I had heard before was that 'the density of time and space is not the same', that 'our universe is the only one whose time and space we live in', that there was nothing 'before' big bang, and nothing 'outside' the universe, that 'time-space being our universe itself, that the terms 'before' and 'outside' lose their meaning in context of origin of universe and limits of universe'
^ and those things are damn confusing, if time is not the same everywhere, space is not the same everywhere, what the hell do we compare with >.<"
So which one do you think is more correct? Or do you know something about it?"

Density of time-space doesn't seem likely to be uniform. It just doesn't make sense. Other planets within our own system may very well operate in a different ratio of time-space.

There is always something before something happens. Something had to be here before a big bang. It wasn't just a molecular explosion and then ta-da, here it is. Just because we don't see or record what happened doesn't mean it wasn't here.

With so many systems, universes and galaxies in existence, we are part of a greater 'time-space' dimension, but there is so much more than that as well.

Other thoughts that this has brought about...

Well, modern science still feels very primitive in various aspects. Science has progressed over the years, but not as quickly as it otherwise could have. With the advent of the automobile, people could go from place to place much faster; however, the automobile has hardly advanced in the last 100 years. Yes, there are new features and better parts, but it is still the same thing in essence. Too much corporate greed and regulation has kept advancing sciences under wraps and leaves hover/flying cars and the like to the sci-fi realm. Technology and ideas, such as free renewable energy for everyone (Tesla) are possible and have been for some time (suggest watching Thrive).

Thrive
http://www.thrivemovement.com/home

We as a global society have a long way to go and much more to explore on our planet alone before we explore the stars.

@Cirru: use the quote tag: [ quote=Name ] <and write whomever's text you wanna quote here> [/ quote ] (without spaces)
I hope it helps :)

Quote by CirruYes, the universe has boundaries, but within those boundaries are infinite possibilities based on the energy and beings that inhabit said universe. Aside from what we can measure through science from our own physical means, there are even higher levels of control helping the universe along and maintaining it (check out the Urantia book - please keep in mind it goes over religion, evolution and other topics too, so please approach with an open mind).

Yes, it has boundaries ofc. But what is called a boundary? Is it time-space itself?(that is, is there no time-space outside our universe?) Or is that boundary defined as just those celestial bodies which came out from our universe's big bang. If it's the first case, then it'd mean our universe is the only one. In the second case, it'd imply there might be multiple universes and would pose a question that where did this big void with many universes come from.
That book certainly seems interesting! I think it'll be the next book i read when i have time. Thanks for suggesting :)

Quote by CirruMultiple time dimensions or just multiple dimensions are a very interesting topic. It also feels like parallel universes comes into this arena as well. While these entities may exist at the same time we do, they are not so easily accessible as sending a satellite into space. In my opinion, earth-based science is a very very long way from actually being able to touch on these (beyond conjecture and talk).

Oh just idly speculating about possibilities can yield surprisingly useful results you know. Had it not been for people who were interested in trivial questions like, 'ever wonder what's the smallest thing?' we wouldn't have ever got electronics and other cool stuff! Maybe the idle discussions such as this one will some day make some scientist feel curious and he might have a major breakthrough, and some years later, his discoveries can find applications too!

Quote by Cirru

Quote by TheCompiler
"But what I discussed just now, was assuming that the density of time-space is uniform throughout the universe we live in, and it's so because as the video said, it might be a part of a greater time-space void.
So which one do you think is more correct? Or do you know something about it?"

Density of time-space doesn't seem likely to be uniform. It just doesn't make sense. Other planets within our own system may very well operate in a different ratio of time-space.

oh no, i don't think it's different so near as in our own system! It happens mostly where the gravity field and other forces are insanely and weirdly strong or weak.. just my guess though.. i dunno anything about this factually -.-'

Quote by CirruThere is always something before something happens. Something had to be here before a big bang. It wasn't just a molecular explosion and then ta-da, here it is. Just because we don't see or record what happened doesn't mean it wasn't here.
With so many systems, universes and galaxies in existence, we are part of a greater 'time-space' dimension, but there is so much more than that as well.

Oh what you say will be true if that 'multiple universes in a void' theory which i mentioned above is true, But i do remember reading somewhere that even time and space didn't exist before big bang.. maybe i remember it wrong :\

Quote by Cirru
Other thoughts that this has brought about...

Well, modern science still feels very primitive in various aspects. Science has progressed over the years, but not as quickly as it otherwise could have. With the advent of the automobile, people could go from place to place much faster; however, the automobile has hardly advanced in the last 100 years. Yes, there are new features and better parts, but it is still the same thing in essence. Too much corporate greed and regulation has kept advancing sciences under wraps and leaves hover/flying cars and the like to the sci-fi realm. Technology and ideas, such as free renewable energy for everyone (Tesla) are possible and have been for some time (suggest watching Thrive).

Thrive
http://www.thrivemovement.com/home

We as a global society have a long way to go and much more to explore on our planet alone before we explore the stars.

Oh, but automobile has advanced greatly! Earlier we used to have highly inefficient noisy dirty machines. Now we have reached till maglev trains! >.<"
But idk how much it 'should' have developed and what's stopping it. I'll read that link and update my comment at a later time. If indeed renewable energy for everyone is possible and something is stopping it then we should do something about it! >:O

And as for that last sentence, well I beg to differ. There are sooo many humans on earth! And not everyone is good at just one thing, different people are good at different things. And ALSO seemingly unrelated things can help you get what you want many times. It has happened many many times in the history of mankind. Like, people who were working on microwave had no idea it'd be used for cooking! Neither were those working on atoms aware that their discoveries will be used to make something like a cell phone! Newton had no idea that his laws of gravitation will be used to make satellites for communication and would bring the world so much closer!
Humans, should always strive to satiate their curiosity. That's what differentiates them from animals. We might fail, but then someone else will learn from our failure, maybe a decade after, a century after, or just a month. I'm not saying that we should ignore other more important things. But just saying that if at one point it seems we're not progressing with something and we're getting bored, try something else, and who knows that something else might just be the thing you needed to do your main work!

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

Quote by The Compiler
Earlier we used to have highly inefficient noisy dirty machines.

We still have highly inefficient noisy dirty machines for vehicles.

Quote by The Compiler
Now we have reached till maglev trains! >.<"

When considering the entire world, these are so rare and expensive. We had maglev trains... 50 years ago or more? Progress has been inching along so slowly.

Quote by The Compiler
There are sooo many humans on earth! And not everyone is good at just one thing, different people are good at different things.

Don't disagree that there are billions of people nor that people can be multi-talented nor that people can be good at different things. That wasn't my point. We still have a long way to go as a global society before we move passed greed, pollution, other vices and onto galactic understanding.

Quote by The Compiler
Humans, should always strive to satiate their curiosity.

Yes, in moderation. If it is a negative experience or result, then learn from it and do not repeat it. If others have already experienced it, then learn from them.

Quote by The Compiler
But just saying that if at one point it seems we're not progressing with something and we're getting bored, try something else, and who knows that something else might just be the thing you needed to do your main work!

Finding one's path in life can prove to be difficult. As you say, trying multiple things can be helpful and shed light onto what you are suited for in life, which hopefully is what you also want to do. : )

Quote by CirruWe still have highly inefficient noisy dirty machines for vehicles.
When considering the entire world, these are so rare and expensive. We had maglev trains... 50 years ago or more? Progress has been inching along so slowly.

well that Is true too o.o'
actually i don't have much knowledge about automobiles you see -.-'

Quote by CirruDon't disagree that there are billions of people nor that people can be multi-talented nor that people can be good at different things. That wasn't my point. We still have a long way to go as a global society before we move passed greed, pollution, other vices and onto galactic understanding.

You know what, we should make a thread in General discussions forum, seriously :P

Quote by TheCompiler

Limits of our universe
____
Now, what this made me think is: If Hubble telescope saw some old galaxies in some part of the universe, What about other parts?! I mean, if the Universe originated from the Big Bang, that means, if we're seeing old galaxies, they should be 'inwards' this expanding universe.
Then what is 'outwards'? It is possible, that if they turn the telescope to other direction, They'd see that 'void' outside our universe.. or the place where stars expanding from the universe haven't reached yet, or they HAVE reached there, but since we're seeing the 'past' of that region, we're seeing nothing.
But, I have never heard of any telescope seeing the void ._.
If anyone knows anything about this, please share with us.

Our view of the known Universe has a limitation, outside of the obvious reason that light so far removed from our location takes so long to reach our viewing point here on Earth. Our most powerful telescopes allow us to perceive but a limited distance, simply because the light from beyond a certain point has simply not arrived yet. This is the reason why we will never view some "void" or region of space with "nothing". Our sun will die and the Earth become a cold rock traveling through space, even then there will still be new particles/waves of light reaching its lonely spot in the Cosmos. The concepts of infinity, time, and space, are likely to never be fully grasped by the limited human mind.

Quote by HooyaahOur view of the known Universe has a limitation, outside of the obvious reason that light so far removed from our location takes so long to reach our viewing point here on Earth. Our most powerful telescopes allow us to perceive but a limited distance, simply because the light from beyond a certain point has simply not arrived yet. This is the reason why we will never view some "void" or region of space with "nothing". Our sun will die and the Earth become a cold rock traveling through space, even then there will still be new particles/waves of light reaching its lonely spot in the Cosmos. The concepts of infinity, time, and space, are likely to never be fully grasped by the limited human mind.

Yes, but what i was wondering was, that if they Can see so far as very young galaxies (at the age of 10% of that of our current universe), then if they might look in the opposite direction, they should see Something right?
Even if, as you say, the light from other directions hasn't reached us yet, that is, 'nothing' or 'darkness' would be seen on the telescope. That'll still mean that there's at least Empty space somewhere towards where we are expanding, right?

But I haven't heard/read anywhere about this, like scientists have discovered the direction in which we came from and where we're going, the direction in which the big bang occurred.

Ofc this 'direction' won't be a stable one cuz earth rotates and revolves around the sun which itself revolves in the milky way which itself might be moving. But scientists can at still establish the direction relative to various other relatively more stable celestial bodies, these directions.

Or am i mistaken in some way?

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

...But the answer to all of the known Universe's questions is 42.

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

But the real problem is then finding the right question that'll reveal all mysteries when answered as 42.
Well our earth is still doing the computing and I haven't seen giant yellow ships in the sky yet, so rest assured, we'll get the answer some day ^.~b
but being a part of the earth, I'm just obeying the way the mice have programmed us and trying to find out the answer >.<"

anyone who hasn't read hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy may ignore this and the previous post :P

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

You mean there are people who have never read the guide. For shame!

This video should put the size of the known Universe in perspective: A Warm Place If you could travel to any portion of it, where would you go?

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

I would go next to your right shoulder...I'd be your right hand man. =^.~=

That's a great video Hooyaah! That really shows how very little we know >.<"
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2012/07/18/how-big-is-the-entire-universe/
^ this article says that the (93 billion light years)sphere; the known universe, is only less than 0.0001% of the estimated volume of the Universe!
the known universe is 10,00,000 times smaller than the actual size?! >.<

merged: 10-22-2013 ~ 02:48pm
but on the other side, (or, on the other hand, right or left)
http://atramateria.com/the-size-of-the-universe-at-least-250-times-larger-than-what-is-visible/
this site says it's only 250 times bigger

merged: 11-05-2013 ~ 06:09pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3MWRvLndzs&list=UUUHW94eEFW7hkUMVaZz4eDg

^ a very good video which told me how wrong my idea of big bang was -.-
all fault of that name >.>

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Quote by TheCompilerYes, but what i was wondering was, that if they Can see so far as very young galaxies (at the age of 10% of that of our current universe), then if they might look in the opposite direction, they should see Something right?
Even if, as you say, the light from other directions hasn't reached us yet, that is, 'nothing' or 'darkness' would be seen on the telescope. That'll still mean that there's at least Empty space somewhere towards where we are expanding, right?

But I haven't heard/read anywhere about this, like scientists have discovered the direction in which we came from and where we're going, the direction in which the big bang occurred.

Ofc this 'direction' won't be a stable one cuz earth rotates and revolves around the sun which itself revolves in the milky way which itself might be moving. But scientists can at still establish the direction relative to various other relatively more stable celestial bodies, these directions.

Or am i mistaken in some way?

Opposite direction? I don't really get it. Very young galaxies are still quite old for us humans. We merely are able to get a small glimpse from the light it emits towards our planet. It's not knows if our universe it like a planet itself with many galaxies in it (it would be funny because particles would be endless, like a tv in a tv in a tv in a tv etc.), so if you turn around...we probably won't find the same galaxy or whatever. hard to believe but space so far seems rather infinite.

They say Andromeda moves to our Milky Way for a collision and eventual galaxy fusion...I'm sure the milky way moves aswell, all our particles are "attracted" towards one another in the very microscopic part...I wouldn't be surprised if a mass of particles would act in a similair way. In this case..it would be galaxy-sized.

Quote by TheCompiler That's a great video Hooyaah! That really shows how very little we know >.<"
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2012/07/18/how-big-is-the-entire-universe/
^ this article says that the (93 billion light years)sphere; the known universe, is only less than 0.0001% of the estimated volume of the Universe!
the known universe is 10,00,000 times smaller than the actual size?! >.<

Yes...when it comes to this. You actually talk about of the particles the universe exists out of which is mostly dark matter and dark energy. dark matter is actually "filling" for parts in the space which enables things to move (basically, our satelites move on/via dark matter). Dark energy is basically the nothingness/emptiness that keeps all universes together/helps it expand. The actual universe of which are made out of particles as we know them is, as you can see from written above... a very small percentage of the total. It's a fairly new concept on which research is still being deeply focused on. I'm not sure about the amount you said...wiki says 4,9%
Because it's a new concept of research, I think most amounts are still very inaccurate (we're making maths of something with an index of dozen of lightyears and we barely know our own galaxy, let alone the whole universe).

What is intriguing about this topic is because the universe is a vast and limitless place that exists beyond our reach, yet...a few study the great unknown.
Now I realize how little I know about these things. Perhaps I'll inform myself a bit more with a certain Physics student <3 (I'll ask if you have questions I have no clue about, I'm sure he'll be happy if I ask XD)

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

Quote by ValunaOpposite direction? I don't really get it. Very young galaxies are still quite old for us humans. We merely are able to get a small glimpse from the light it emits towards our planet. It's not knows if our universe it like a planet itself with many galaxies in it (it would be funny because particles would be endless, like a tv in a tv in a tv in a tv etc.), so if you turn around...we probably won't find the same galaxy or whatever. hard to believe but space so far seems rather infinite.

They say Andromeda moves to our Milky Way for a collision and eventual galaxy fusion...I'm sure the milky way moves aswell, all our particles are "attracted" towards one another in the very microscopic part...I wouldn't be surprised if a mass of particles would act in a similair way. In this case..it would be galaxy-sized.

Oh, I was saying that if universe is expanding then there's gotta be an 'inside' and an 'outside'. In the inside, there are all those baby galaxies, and there must be nothingness in the outside, or.. not.. that's what I was asking. Infinity is such an incredibly strange and yet such an ubiquitous concept, isn't it? >.<
at least in maths. Yes, both the galaxies are probably moving, It'll be a sight to see, when we'll see(after a millions of years) that nebulae are so close that you will feel you're in a scifi planet :P

Quote by ValunaYes...when it comes to this. You actually talk about of the particles the universe exists out of which is mostly dark matter and dark energy. dark matter is actually "filling" for parts in the space which enables things to move (basically, our satelites move on/via dark matter). Dark energy is basically the nothingness/emptiness that keeps all universes together/helps it expand. The actual universe of which are made out of particles as we know them is, as you can see from written above... a very small percentage of the total. It's a fairly new concept on which research is still being deeply focused on. I'm not sure about the amount you said...wiki says 4,9%
Because it's a new concept of research, I think most amounts are still very inaccurate (we're making maths of something with an index of dozen of lightyears and we barely know our own galaxy, let alone the whole universe).

What is intriguing about this topic is because the universe is a vast and limitless place that exists beyond our reach, yet...a few study the great unknown.
Now I realize how little I know about these things. Perhaps I'll inform myself a bit more with a certain Physics student <3 (I'll ask if you have questions I have no clue about, I'm sure he'll be happy if I ask XD)

Yeah.. even scientists are ignorant about that stuff, so we can't even think of comprehending it >__<"
hm.. i can't think of any specific question atm ^^;

hm.. maybe I do, but that'd be off-topic :P

gadisitugirl

gadisitugirl

D u n d u n

I agree with Valuna. Even the astronomers never going to the outside of earth by themself to learn more about galaxy..
and the astronauts, they even have not really reach the moon..
The astronomers get the universe theories by examined the galaxies' pictures that taken by high technology telescope..
I've just learn that when my teacher made me watch the video about universe too hehehe ._.
Am I off of topic? TT_TT

Signature Imageᴍᴀʏ ʜᴀᴘᴘɪɴᴇss ʙᴇ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜs! ಥ‿ಥ

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

I don't have time to read this entire thread but I did a little bit of Astrophysics at college and university so thought I could try to comment on some stuff I have read so far.

> Light has a finite speed and nothing we know is faster than light
This isn't trivial stuff but basically mass increases with velocity. So as things get faster, the more force is needed to accelerate them further. Theoretically when things travel at the speed of light, mass becomes infinite but it doesn't seem possible to accelerate matter to that state. The particles spinning around the Large Hadron Collider for example go at 99% of the speed of light. Light on the other hand has no mass.

>Then what is 'outwards'? It is possible, that if they turn the telescope to other direction, They'd see that 'void' outside our universe..
I think we should clarify "see". Optical telescopes cannot actually see much because of the huge distances involved. Most Astronomic discoveries are made by measuring lightwaves from far away stars, but these cannot be rendered into an image like a photograph. The photographs you see on the ESA website of things outside our solar system are all computer generated based on the information gathered by observing the electromagnetic waves received by different kinds of telescopes. Below I'll give some examples of how a visual representation of things that are too far away to see with an optical telescope can be inferred.

By looking at the colour spectrum of the light we can figure out what kind of star emitted it, how bright and therefor how big ( i.e. orange/red=colder, blue=hotter). My measuring the Doppler shift you can figure out if the star is moving towards us or away from us and how fast. Most stars are moving away from us hence the "expansion" of the universe theory. Then if the lightwaves get dimmer at regular intervals we can infer that there are planets orbiting the star. By measuring paralax we can tell how far things are.

Blackholes cannot be detected directly but their effects can be measured because of the immense amount of mass involved. Stars and other things that emit light will be orbiting around them for example, and the space around blackholes will bend. So light waves coming from the other side will either be absorbed by the blackhole or bend around it. That is a very distinct pattern to recognise.

This is a basic outline of how astronomy works. In reality a lot of complicated maths goes into interpreting the data that these telescopes capture, it's not as simple as looking at a photograoh and going "oo that bright thing looks like a star!".

This "void" on the other hand, if it does not emit light and does not have enough mass to affect the things around it then we can't observe it basically.

I hope that clears some things up.

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.