Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What's a movie that everyone should see? - Minitokyo

What's a movie that everyone should see?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

For me, a comedy everyone should see is Hot Fuzz, and you'd need a few viewings to catch all the details and jokes. It's hilarious, witty and even gory at times; it parodies murder mysteries and buddy cop comedies alike; it's got British accents and Simon Pegg (need I say more?).

So, what movie do you think everyone should see, even if they don't necessarily like movies (or the genre it's from)?

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

I've been told Hot Fuzz is pretty great, but never checked it out. I'm picky about comedies, but maybe I'll enjoy this one. :)

As for me, I think everyone should see The Prestige. I was introduced to it a few years ago and it's one of my favorites. The story is intriguing to try to piece together, and it has a sort of fridge brilliance that you can't appreciate until the end, but it is subtle enough to make you think (and oggle) for a while afterwards. It even benefits from subsequent watches because you pick up more details. Also, the cast is excellent - Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Cain, Scarlett Johansenn, AND David Bowie - should such a thing even be allowed to exist?

//end of fangirling for the moment

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

If you enjoy the more subtle yet caustic British humor, as well as the over-the-topness of American action movies...you'll probably love it ^^

Oh yeah, I second The Prestige! Great acting all around and I was surprised how dark the plot was. Coming off of The Illusionist, this one's definitely superior IMO. I've heard some find it difficult to follow, but it's not that confusing once you get to the end and everything is explained.

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

...seeing as the holidays are coming up, I'd say "Love Actually".

By far my favorite holiday movie, it takes a look at all of the different kinds of love. I can watch it over and over and never get tired of it. :)

Signature Image

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

"I've been told Hot Fuzz is pretty great, but never checked it out. I'm picky about comedies, but maybe I'll enjoy this one. :)"
- Snicker

Went to see Hot Fuzz when it came out and had it on DVD. Really funny movie. : )

For a recommendation, I would suggest "With Honors". Simply a funny, at times dramatic, and thought provoking film. A very nice cast of: Brendan Frasier, Joe Pesci, Patrick Dempsey and Moira Kelly.

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Aand my to-watch list grows bigger yet again XD

Alright, to throw out a different genre, I'll suggest The Descent for fans of horror. It's about a group of women (no, it's not a chick flick) who go on a trip to some uncharted caves. It's got a great mood, though I don't know if I'd recommend it if you're extremely claustrophobic ^^' But definitely one of the best horror movies of the decade, in my opinion! The sequel's OK too, though not as good (and you can pretend it doesn't exist, the ending to the first one is more than enough).

Horseradish

Horseradish

A-R-T-P-O-P

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/JDBaudelaire/movie_02_zpsdd13e56c.jpg

i'd have to say that in my list of "movies that everyone NEEDS TO/SHOULD see"------one of them is "Grave of the Fireflies" (Studio Ghibli). hands down. it is one of the BEST movies that i've ever watched in my life. DEM FEELS. SO MANY FEELS. please do get ready with a box of tissues or a roll. my friend once said that if you've not shed a tear while watching this movie, you're not human. haha. but srsly, manly tears have been/will be shed. (TT^TT)

Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Oh man, I'm seriously itching to see a lot of Studio Ghibli movies (sadly, I haven't seen any yet D:) If they managed to hook my non-anime fan best friend, that's something!

Hmm, let's go with something newer this time: Chronicle. 3 teens gain telekinesis by getting too close to a meteor, and for a movie with heavy shaky-cam (think the likes of Blair Witch Project or Cloverfield), it's very entertaining! It was definitely a pleasant surprise for me ^_^

Hot Fuzz is actually a part of Edgar Wright's Cornetto Trilogy, other 2 being Shaun of The Dead and The World's End. All 3 are worth the watch.

As for a movie that everyone should see... some examples of great movies that I imagine everyone would enjoy would be Moneyball, King's Speech and Little Miss Sunshine. That's what I can think of at the moment anyway.

Signature Image

Horseradish

Horseradish

A-R-T-P-O-P

^^^^ @pandemonium91: ZOMGWTFHBBBQROFLMFAO!?! ERMAHGERD. YOU. SHOULD. DEFINITELY. WATCH. THE. WHOLE. STUDIO. GHIBLI. COLLECTION. and i think it will hook (and i hope) your non-anime best friend. 'cause the films of Studio Ghibli are directed to audiences of all ages. :D i think even non-anime fans would appreciate them. :3

^^^^ @Deto15: YUSH. King's Speech. a very, very, very, very nice movie. :D i approve. haha.

another movie from my list would be "Ikigami" (the LIVE! Action film adaptation). another one of those movies that will certainly give you DEM FEELS.
i mean, what if one day, someone would be at your doorstep to deliver your death note? how would you spend the last 24 hours of your life?

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/JDBaudelaire/movie_01_zpsb08cf0ea.jpg

Signature

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

I absolutely love The Last Samurai. Now, before you jump on me with the whole "white Savior" argument, I think for the storyline it was necessary.

A story of hitting rock bottom and redemption.... Acceptance and honor... Set to an amazing Hans Zimmer musical score with breath-taking scenery.

@pande: whaaaaaaat!? You should at least watch Princess Mononoke (my personal fav) and Spirited Away.

Signature Image

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

@ Firefly and HorseRadish: haha, I promise I will! ^^' Though I'm afraid to pick up Grave of the Fireflies after hearing how sad it is!
And I apparently need to watch more Asian movies, 'cause I don't know too many ^^'

@ Deto: oh, didn't know World's End is already out! I'll definitely check it out, both Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead are two of my favorite movies. And I fully agree with King's Speech, we watched it in a class and the part with Geoffrey Rush's character training Colin Firth's had most of us on the edge of our seats and laughing at the same time XD

Oh man, I don't know what else to recommend. Hmm, I'll rec Equilibrium then! While I don't normally watch action flicks and this has been accused of being a Matrix ripoff, I was surprised how much I ended up liking it - plus, it has Christian Bale, and he's all kinds of awesome in it!

Horseradish

Horseradish

A-R-T-P-O-P

^^^^ OMG. YOU. MUST. DEFINITELY. TOTES. YOU. MUST. NOT. BE. AFRAID. OF. GRAVE OF THE FIRELFIES.
although, i'm quite serious with the box of tissues. XDDDD

SPEAKING of ASIAN movies, here's one that's sure to make you feel all sorts of feels. LOL. WUT. i mean, it has its ups and downs and some scenes can make you cry, laugh, or go "awwww. . . " at some points. :3

i'm talking about----My Sassy Girl. (^w ^ ) the original one. NOT the series. and most certainly NOT the American adaptation. UGH. please. DX

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w245/JDBaudelaire/movie_03_zps06583540.jpg

Signature

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Pande: Watch it! >w< you have to, be sure to have gummy bears or something sweet too
Or if you're not ready to watch the fireflies then watch: the girl who leapt through time :D

Haven't watched asian movies in ages -.-

I recommend: Inception :3

Signature Image
This day we fight!

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Sooo many movies to catch up with! >.< I wish I could stay home until I've watched them all~

Well, I've already recommended Hot Fuzz, The Descent, Chronicle and Equilibrium, time to recommend a more obscure one (from what I could tell anyway): The Quiet Earth (sci-fi). This is the synopsis on IMDb: "A man awakens to find himself alone in the world." I suggest you don't visit IMDb, since the poster is a giant spoiler ^^' It raises a lot of questions, it's got some absolutely gorgeous shots and framing, and it's sometimes weird. Also, the ending will leave you scratching your head.

Favoritest movies that everyone should most definitely watch:

Stranger than Fiction
About Time
Paycheck
Runaway Jury
Once
Bullets over Broadway
Ink

They're all amazing go watch them.

:D

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

I recommend V for Vendetta from 2005.

It was based on a comic, of course lol but it tells a slightly different story from the one in the comic so the plot was adjusted to the then occurring circumstances more. It's a bit...mature and gruesome in places but that's precisely why it hits the nerve and makes you think. I love it because, besides good effects and Hugo Weaving as V (I love that voice xD), it depicts a perfect picture of reality we're all facing nowadays and what undoubtedly awaits us for real if we let it happen.

Signature

My personal list of my favorites movies all the time there are alot .. i Give a glimpse

=(Psycho) Alfred Hitchcock 1960

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Alfred_Hitchcock%27s_Psycho_trailer.png

if you look well the mansion is the same in RE code veronica ;) they took the idea from that movie

=Carrie 1976

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074285/

=The Name of the Rose (1986)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091605/

=Hellraiser

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/bv/cenobites.jpg

=Phantom of the Paradise

http://superradnow.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/phantom-of-the-paradise/

Kentaro miura the creator of berserk took the idea of femto and god hand in Hellraiser and phantom of the paradise

=Evil Dead

=Hammer movies with Christopher lee ,Peter cushing and Martita Hunt <3

=Faust 1926

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muQmMcju82A

=Harakiri Seppuku 1962

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056058/

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Ooh, I definitely second Hellraiser! I think I saw around 6 out of the 8 movies, it was getting slightly ridiculous at that point (Pinhead attacking hackers through their computers? WTF).
I appreciated Evil Dead more the second time I saw it. Still ridiculous and over the top, but more enjoyable :P
Two thumbs up for V for Vendetta.

I recently saw Frozen (partly) with a friend who hates musicals and both of us knowing almost nothing about the movie (except for it being Disney and animated). Anyway, we were taken aback by how many songs there were in the first half hour - a song would end, there would be a pause of 2-3 minutes at MOST, then another one would start! - so we turned it off. But I can't grade/appreciate a movie correctly if I haven't seen it completely, no? So I watch the remainder alone. It's a good movie but it didn't stay with me the way Little Mermaid, Snow White or Beauty and the Beast (all-time favorite Disney movie) did. It was nice to see Disney focus on family love instead of romantic love more, though, and I liked the more toned down Elsa (compared to other Disney heroines who seem to have downed about 3 jugs of coffee, haha).

I am not good in english but i will try my best to explain a little.... =^.^=

i appriciate Evil Dead, because it's comedy horror .the humourous aspect it's intentional because it's all about a black humour...

and about Hellraisser i saw only the first and second i really appriciate it but the others i didn't see....

Another good movie in my opinion of course ^^'

House of Wax (1953) with Vincent Price

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045888/

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by myri-chanAnother good movie in my opinion of course ^^'

House of Wax (1953) with Vincent Price

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045888/

Ooh, it's on my list! Can't wait to see it!
Since we're talking Vincent Price, Masque of the Red Death (1964) is a pretty entertaining adaptation of an Edgar Allan Poe story (my favorite, too!); it looks more like a filmed play than a "traditional" movie, though :)
If you're looking for something very campy and cheesy, there's House on Haunted Hill (1959). Some of the acting is good, but most is corny. And since the budget is quite low, don't expect anything but hilarious "special" effects.

I really enjoyed Grave Encounters (2011), I found it to be a pretty good entry in the "shaky cam / haunted place" genre~ Grave Encounters 2, on the other hand, should be avoided IMO because it wasn't nearly as good :(

My goodness Pande ! i saw those movies as well. we have the same tastes. the first one is magnificent :) but i admit i need to see more new movies i am so old fashioned... ^^'

Let's continue :
-The Nightmare Before Christmas
-The Phantom of the Opera (1925,1990,2004)
-Dracula - film 1992 with Gary Oldman
http://cinemaknifefight.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/friday-night-knife-fights-part-3-who-was-the-best-dracula/
Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (1979)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079641/

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

I went through a POTO (the 2004 version) phase and I AM NOT ASHAMED TO SAY IT. I also made all my close friends (re)watch it with me.
Dracula's a toss up between funny and ridiculous to me. Kudos to the foreign actors for trying to speak Romanian in the beginning, though, it was pretty good.
I haven't seen Nightmare before Christmas or the 1979 version of Nosferatu, will look into those as well :) Can you explain why you'd recommend them?

And another horror feature: Eden Lake (2008). It WILL make you feel pissed at the world by the end and it's got some rough scenes along the way, but it's definitely a must-watch if you're into horror.

loool don't be ashamed Pande it is a good version as well with the handsome Gerard Buttler :P i appriciate it alot
i re watch it several times ^^.
you found the movie Dracula 1992 funny and ridiculous ? personally i found that movie quite
distubing,dark and romantic at the same time.my goodness i really wish to speak Romanian :3

Pande you never watched the movie Nightmare before Christmas it's a classic! really , you should take a look at it
NBC is an animated movie ...gothic but in a cute way... the most interesting about this movie is it's aesthetics
visually the characters are adorable and the scenery very stylish typically "Tim Burton" bizarre and cute at the
same time the atmosphere in this movie is enchanting due notably to the wonderful music from the brilliant
composer "Danny Elfman" as for the story it is quite pleasing..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightmare_Before_Christmas

the 1979 movie is a good alternative to the classic one because it features some new emotional aspects it is more focused on the pathos of the main character... this movie for me is one of the most beautiful allegorical depiction of solitude.......the role of the count is magnificently performed by the expressive and "saturnine" klaus kinski... in this picture we can feel the lassitude of the character,we can see that he's desperately searching for a meaning to his absurd and futile existence. is as a demon "cursed" with immortality and forever condamned to solitude because of his "predatorial nature"...so the interest of the movie is essentially "poetical" i mean the psychological and mostly "aesthetical" depiction of both protagonists and antagonists ...the rather "classical" but eternal debate on good & evil,life and death..etc ...so i recommend it principally to those who are already familiar with the german expressionism genre.
yes nosferatu or dracula (in the 1922 movie he's called orlok due to copyright issues)

Another movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887736/
Mushukunin mikogami no jôkichi: Kawakaze ni kako wa nagareta (1972)

PS thanks for the recommendation Pande i love Horror movies :)

For the fans of Zelda Games series i recommend you to see this movie i can't tell you more.... i will let you discover by your own ;)

Legend (1985) with Tom cruise

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089469/

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 30 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.