What a social norm you dislike following?

page 1 of 1 7 total items

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Lazy af

Cancel

You know, the unwritten rules of conversation and/or social interactions. They don't always make sense but hey, you have to follow them or else you'll be considered strange.

Saying "How are you?" and expecting an answer. Gah! It's more of an empty hello than a proper question and no one expects anything but "I'm fine" from it. I just started answering in full: "my head's been hurting since last night" or "I'm browsing a forum and reading a thread about XYZ" just to annoy people XD

Want to help out with tagging? (Of course you do!) See these: Tag admin thread | Guidelines | Tag-licious

Hooyaah

Hooyaah

"See You, Space Cowboy..."

Cancel

I dislike behaving in a "politically correct" manner. I speak my mind and they who would parse my words in order to advance their own agenda are they who have the life challenge, not me.

Darthas

System Admin

Darthas

レキシコン

Cancel

Quote by HooyaahI dislike behaving in a "politically correct" manner. I speak my mind and they who would parse my words in order to advance their own agenda are they who have the life challenge, not me.

Not a social norm.

I rather not shake hands with people I meet during business functions, some of them don't let go and some of them have those sweaty palms.
I don't mind if it's a dolled up girl who came via airplane since women usually keep themselves clean, the guys are another story depending though. Some of them are still 2 meters away and they already put out their hand while walking to you, idk if I should do the same or if I should wait for him to walk to me.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Lazy af

Cancel

Behaving PC isn't a social norm? Huh, never knew. It's interesting how what people define as PC changes from one culture to another. Does it only refer to opinions (e.g. you're expected to say murder is bad) or does it also extend to how you carry yourself?

I speak my mind and they who would parse my words in order to advance their own agenda are they who have the life challenge
I can't help but do this most of the time, let's say I catch the hidden meanings of what people say before they realize the said them ^_~ (either through the meaning of their words, pronunciation or body language/facial expressions) *squints through screen towards Hoo*

I find it uncomfortable when I meet older men (let's say around 50) and when I go for a handshake they grab my hand - which is firmly positioned for a handshake -, twist it and kiss it instead cringe. Most of them don't even do this normally and it shows, and some younger ones do it to look charming. I feel awkward when a man 30 years older than me bends down to kiss my hand and then laughs when I get all flustered >.> Mostly because my thought process through the entire thing is "excuse me, WTF are you doing? Oh, um, my hand's stiff, you're trying to bend it to kiss it D: It won't bend 'cause you took me by surprise. Please let it be over soon *mental whine*"
Please don't kiss my hand D:

Want to help out with tagging? (Of course you do!) See these: Tag admin thread | Guidelines | Tag-licious

Darthas

System Admin

Darthas

レキシコン

Cancel

Being PC was mainly done to correct a fact.. in your opinion, which in itself is already wrong because facts don't need to be corrected. It's surely not a norm.

Idk about the handshake kissing but if I did it to that asian girl last week, she'd most likely land one across my face. Coat your hand in poison.

Another norm is driving in the correct direction on the road, though I can only do it for short distances if I miss a turn somewhere lol

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

Cancel

"You know, the unwritten rules of conversation and/or social interactions. They don't always make sense but hey, you have to follow them or else you'll be considered strange.

Saying "How are you?" and expecting an answer. Gah! It's more of an empty hello than a proper question and no one expects anything but "I'm fine" from it. I just started answering in full: "my head's been hurting since last night" or "I'm browsing a forum and reading a thread about XYZ" just to annoy people XD"
- Pande

I'm fine or a longer answer ...doesn't matter. If I ask someone how they are, then I've already prepared for whatever they are going to say. =b It's not annoying to me. If I didn't want to know or care, then I wouldn't ask. lol

Kissing a woman's hand. Usually reserve that for a girlfriend. It seems really really old fashioned to do it to just anyone.

"I speak my mind and they who would parse my words in order to advance their own agenda are they who have the life challenge, not me."
- Hoo

Yeah, Hoo!

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Lazy af

Cancel

@Cirru: I have to parse Hoo's words several times, feels like back when I tried reading Frankenstein in Ancient English: with a dictionary nearby, checking it once every 3 words (no exaggeration) and at the end forgetting both the words and what the sentence meant. But hey, I'm also learning new words so it's a win c:

Yeah, kissing a woman's hand requires some real situation-assessing skills.

Here's one that differs a lot from US to Europe: tipping. In the US you're expected to tip around 20% of the total cost of the meal/drinks, but here you normally tip much less than that. Of course, it depends on a lot of factors - how formal the establishment is, how much and what you're ordering, if you get any extra service etc. - but you don't get the stink eye here if you give only 10% as a tip, for example. Might have to do with minimum wage being a bit higher (not extraordinary though).

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Body, Mind & Fashion | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.