Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What is so wrong with not having a life like everyone else? - Minitokyo

What is so wrong with not having a life like everyone else?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 27 total items

kuchukuTulip

kuchukuTulip

proud to be a muslim!

I had a friend who got married this year, She is 25 but the person she married turned out to be not nice at all, not like he was before they got married. Everything was a lie. She tired living with him, co-operting even when she was physically abused. But when her family and friends got to know of her situation they tried their best to protect her, they brought her back home from her in-laws' and asked for divorce. That girl and her family had to go through a lot of problems but they stood by but one day her husband came apologized and promised to do anything like that every again. That girl was quick to change her mind and not get a divorce.

Now, the main problem she thought she would have was being called a divorcee by 'people' and be talked about and it acted as the main reason she got back together with her husband. Even though she had the support of her family and friends.

Today i was watching a reality show and the woman was telling her story and she had been divorced for 8 years and she said that the society doesn't give me respect as much as they give respect to married women.

Now i know of three different places and know its environment. The place i belong from, people love talking about other peoples house matter and adding their own spice to it and spreading it around. The place i lived for sometime which is also the same. The place I was born and been living here for a long time, here most of the people are educated enough to mind their business and help the ones in trouble. But still i have seen people who enjoy suffering.

Now the point of my thread is, why does this sort of a thing happen? why are people afraid to take a step for themselves just because some people will talk about them? why do people enjoy other people's suffering? Is there something one can do to break this circle?

I am not only talking about people being divorced, i am talking about bullying, i am talking about the people who love the people of the same sex, i am talking about even people who are chubbier than others, who look different than others.

And even if someone does decide to step up he is again targeted by people.

How long will people keep talking? One day, One week, One year. They cant go on about it forever.

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

To break this cycle the best thing you can do is be a good friend and try to help when you can. We each have to find our own way through this life and good friends can help a lot. I don't think that anyone really enjoys suffering; more like they just can't see clearly the situation they are in. Once again a good friend who tries to help them see the situation from a different perspective can help a lot. We are all different and march to our drum beat. The best part is when that beat fits in well with someone else...that is when the music of love and life really gets to be heard.

Best wishes to you and your friend.

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

With the male being abusive, she should not have gone back to him. He said he wouldn't do it again, but how had he changed? What has he done differently? It sounds like he hid who he truly was to get her to marry him, then showed his abusive side after she was with him. After the divorce it just looks like he is hiding his bad side once more.

Having the support of family and friends, she should have moved forward without him. It is ok to live life with having had a divorce. Some people are not compatible or meant to be together.

Being the child of divorced parents, it was difficult growing up. I didn't always understand what was going on and why my parents didn't live together. It always seemed like the time I had to spend with my father was too short and my mother had very little good things to say about him (she still doesn't). My mother lived a tough life trying to take care of her and I. My father didn't always have money to help support us, so it was eating on the cheap and making do with what you can. I don't know about how she was perceived in society in general, but my mom has always had a wonderful group of friends that were understanding and supportive.

Yes, people love to gossip and speculate (which lead to rumors). They can start with a tiny bit of truth or none at all. Sometimes people just say things out of mild curiosity, though others say things to be mean and make people look bad. It is the second group that is really damaging.

"Now the point of my thread is, why does this sort of a thing happen? why are people afraid to take a step for themselves just because some people will talk about them? why do people enjoy other people's suffering? Is there something one can do to break this circle?"
- kuchukuTulip

Some people are really mindful and concerned about how they are perceived in public circles/groups. This is more of a dilemma with their ego and wanting to uphold a certain image. People may sacrifice things that are important to them in order to maintain said image. It is truly a shame.

We can be supportive of others. We can let them know that being different is alright. We don't all have to be the same. Life is a journey, there are multiple paths we can take to get through it.

In regards to gossip and rumors, we can not contribute to demeaning and stereotypical humor. The less that people contribute to something, the less it is likely to continue. (i.e. the less energy something has, the less it is able to go on)

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote: Now the point of my thread is, why does this sort of a thing happen?

I think is society's way of rewarding good behaviour and punishing bad behaviour.

The "problem" is deeply rooted in the human psyche. Is a sense, Truth itself is defined by what the majority of a group of people agree upon. I can be "different" and say, the background of this page is purple. I would be "wrong" though because most people would say it is black. The same thing goes for the concept of "good" and "bad".

It's natural for children to bully each other for being different but there are also objective rational to shunning these differences.
[list]
[*] Homosexuality results in fewer babies. This means fewer soldiers, fewer doctors, fewer engineers which can cause problems for the future well-being of a nation's defence and economy. Dependency on other counties for human resources makes things harder for the natural citizens of the dependant country.
[*] Obesity can be viewed as an individual's lifestyle choice which burdens those around them. They have increased health issues which means unnecessary time and money is wasted within the healthcare system on their account.
[*] Female divorcees can be seen as disloyal and ungrateful. They find a man who takes them in, shares his house and money with them and then they say KTHXBAI.
[/list]

These are not necessarily views I share, I just want to give you a different perspective to these issues and the world is not just black and white.

Quote: Is there something one can do to break this circle?

You can be the change you want to see in the world.

The thing is you will always find someone with slightly different beliefs to you and ten more with beliefs that are contradictory or incompatible with yours. You can find a group of people with similar ideas and try to enforce your ideas on others while keeping within the scope of the law. But then you would be back to where we are now, the very thing you're complaining about.

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

Quote by UsagixKitsuneTruth itself is defined by what the majority of a group of people agree upon. .. The same thing goes for the concept of "good" and "bad".

No, the truth is not defined by people. Opinions are defined by people and facts may be distorted, but the underlying truth cannot be changed. Only hidden or smudged. Also, just because a majority of people come to a consensus, this does not mean it is the correct or right way.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneThe thing is you will always find someone with slightly different beliefs to you and ten more with beliefs that are contradictory or incompatible with yours.

Highly doubt that it is a 10:1 ratio of people with incompatible views to your own. If we look at what each other believes and thinks, then we might see that more people have things in common than is perceived.

Quote by UsagixKitsune You can find a group of people with similar ideas and try to enforce your ideas on others while keeping within the scope of the law. But then you would be back to where we are now, the very thing you're complaining about.

Yes, you can find groups of people with similar or even the same ideas/beliefs as yourself; however, enforcing your ideas on them is not the best approach. Suggesting and talking about different views/approaches can help breed understanding.

Fujiupoma

Fujiupoma

Gyabo

They can go on forever and they do, trust me on that, been living it all my life, very few people actually accept you for who you are, making you feel happy, accepted, out of the world! But somehow, someday, they seem to join the others too, and you are left to crash down from the skies.

Subete wo te ni irete
Subete wo ushinatte

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by CirruNo, the truth is not defined by people. Opinions are defined by people and facts may be distorted, but the underlying truth cannot be changed. Only hidden or smudged.

Our entire world is defined by humans and their perceptions. Who decides which colour is red and which colour is blue? Is stealing "bad"? Is it still bad if you will starve to death otherwise? What about a coin on the pavement, is that stealing too? If there is only one true answer to all these questions then who decides that answer?

Quote by CirruAlso, just because a majority of people come to a consensus, this does not mean it is the correct or right way.

That's because you are using your own personal view on what is "right". What makes your views more valid than anyone else's?

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

http://i.imgur.com/T5KyFVX.jpg
Darthas isn't here so you get the Wall of Text (TM) from me instead.

This highly depends on the culture you come from: the more conservative it is, the more restrictive it is regarding breaking unspoken rules ("divorcing is a sin", "a woman is supposed to stay home and raise kids" etc.). How women are viewed also matters.

Your friend is lucky to have the support of family and friends. More often than not, I've seen women stay into loveless/abusive marriages because the family wouldn't let them break up for fear of public shaming; needless to say, they were unhappy. But if your friend is backed up by the ones close to her, she should go ahead and do what she thinks is best. Judging by what you said, her husband probably emotionally manipulated her into not getting a divorce by making promises he can't keep. I've seen this too.

Cirru's mom is a good example here: she knew that she'd be miserable and even though life was hard on her, she kept going. I'd hazard a guess that staying with her ex-husband would've probably made both her and Cirru more unhappy than they turned out to be.

Gossiping in smaller communities mostly exists as a way for the gossiper to make themselves look better by degrading someone else (see girls talking about another girl's "ugly" clothes or makeup). If you're emotionally unstable or have low self esteem you may be greatly affected by peer pressure and either hide what you're doing for fear of being "shamed", or force yourself to adjust to a lifestyle that you are firmly against.

Quote by UsagixKitsune Homosexuality results in fewer babies. This means fewer soldiers, fewer doctors, fewer engineers which can cause problems for the future well-being of a nation's defence and economy. Dependency on other counties for human resources makes things harder for the natural citizens of the dependant country.
Obesity can be viewed as an individual's lifestyle choice which burdens those around them. They have increased health issues which means unnecessary time and money is wasted within the healthcare system on their account.
Female divorcees can be seen as disloyal and ungrateful. They find a man who takes them in, shares his house and money with them and then they say KTHXBAI.

I think the most common reason for bullying homosexuals is the fact that pop culture makes them all out to be overly flamboyant/feminine - because, naturally, being anything other than a grunting bodybuilder automatically means you lack your Y chromosome. And since they're perceived as different/deviant from the norm (hetero)...well, you can see the result. Kids don't rationalize as far as babymaking goes.
Obese people may be seen as weak: no self control, not capable of defending themselves physically (no muscle mass).
To be harsh, what can a stranger say about a a divorced woman if they don't know her situation: "she probably wasn't good enough (sexually? housekeeping? mom?) and he left her" or "she probably ran off with someone else". Those are the two most common speculations I've heard and neither was true in their particular cases.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneThat's because you are using your own personal view on what is "right". What makes your views more valid than anyone else's?

He was talking about opinions. You can't say an opinion is "right" or "wrong", since it's just an opinion. A fact may be right or wrong. Example:
Opinion: The new MT layout is awesome. (someone can agree with me, another can say I'm wrong)
Fact: The new MT layout uses red, green and black for its color scheme. (you can argue that a person with an ocular deficiency - can't find the term for it now - may not see the red, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still there)

Quote by kuchukuTulipHow long will people keep talking? One day, One week, One year. They cant go on about it forever.

Until they get a new topic to talk about. Simple.

My question is: why are you and your friend so concerned about people gossiping? If anything, you should be "thankful" people are gossiping because it gives you a clear indication of whom you need to avoid. If these people say rude and mean things about strangers you'd better be sure they also say those about close "friends". I don't see how gossiping can change your life drastically, apart from being avoided by people you'd want to avoid in the first place; it's not like they'll refuse to sell you groceries or break into your house.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by pandemonium91This highly depends on the culture you come from:...To be harsh, what can a stranger say about a a divorced woman if they don't know her situation: "she probably wasn't good enough (sexually? housekeeping? mom?) and he left her" or "she probably ran off with someone else". Those are the two most common speculations I've heard and neither was true in their particular cases.

I was presuming that the cultural context here was that of a community where woman have little or no education and are either a burden to their father or a burden to their husband, which would explain why deserting one's husband would be considered so repugnant. In western countries we don't have this problem because women can go to the same schools as men and do the same jobs as men or otherwise be on equal footing with their husband.

Quote by pandemonium91Fact: The new MT layout uses red, green and black for its color scheme. (you can argue that a person with an ocular deficiency - can't find the term for it now - may not see the red, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still there)

I think you mean that it doesn't change the fact that more people can see this colour than can't. The existence of the colour is defined by what the majority of people can perceive. If only one person could see the colour red would be believe him? Or would we throw him in a mental asylum?

Quote by pandemonium91If these people say rude and mean things about strangers you'd better be sure they also say those about close "friends".

I'm young but that's been my experience with gossipers too. The weird thing is they always seem to be surrounded by friends anyway. So much for karma.

Quote by pandemonium91I don't see how gossiping can change your life drastically, apart from being avoided by people you'd want to avoid in the first place; it's not like they'll refuse to sell you groceries or break into your house.

Our lives can be greatly effected by what people think of us. Whether someone will give you a job, or lend you money, or help you when you're in trouble is determined by what people think of you. What they think of you is based on your appearance, your actions and what other people say about you. How many hoops you should jump though to get someone's approval is another question.

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

*insert Game of Thrones image here again*

Quote by UsagixKitsuneI was presuming that the cultural context here was that of a community where woman have little or no education and are either a burden to their father or a burden to their husband, which would explain why deserting one's husband would be considered so repugnant. In western countries we don't have this problem because women can go to the same schools as men and do the same jobs as men or otherwise be on equal footing with their husband.

You'd be surprised. Romania's by no means a country where women don't have access to education, yet even in an urban setting a woman can be "shamed" for wanting to exit a serious relationship, depending on her social circle (though it's more common in the rural parts). Though this is anecdotal evidence.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneI think you mean that it doesn't change the fact that more people can see this colour than can't. The existence of the colour is defined by what the majority of people can perceive. If only one person could see the colour red would be believe him? Or would we throw him in a mental asylum?

We can also define the existence of the color by its hex code. So if someone said they could see red and others couldn't nowadays, I'm willing to bet that one of his eyes would be extracted and studied to mark the next step in human evolution, lol. Or end up with a very strong drug prescription, depending on which would be cheaper. We already know there are animals that can see a much wider spectrum of colors than humans can (see bees and butterflies), yet that doesn't mean those colors don't exist; we just aren't physically capable of registering them.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneI'm young but that's been my experience with gossipers too. The weird thing is they always seem to be surrounded by friends anyway. So much for karma.

Indeed. The ones I've been around (former classmates) seem to gravitate around gossipers to feel included - it's their little social circle, after all - and, to a less conscious extent, to ensure they're not the ones that are gossiped about.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneOur lives can be greatly effected by what people think of us. Whether someone will give you a job, or lend you money, or help you when you're in trouble is determined by what people think of you. What they think of you is based on your appearance, your actions and what other people say about you. How many hoops you should jump though to get someone's approval is another question.

Of course they are, I'm not denying that. But if we're considering work, I doubt anyone fair would deny someone employment based solely on their moral views on marriage and divorce. The favors and treatment you get from others doesn't depend solely on you, it also depends on the people you choose to surround yourself with (which mostly depends on you as well, but whatever). The gossipy woman next door that you bump to 3 times in one month shouldn't have further influence on you than being your neighbor, and if she's not someone you can call a "friend" her opinion on your private business should not matter as much to you.

Less pretentious version: if you ain't my friend, what I do ain't your business. It also ain't your place to meddle in it.

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

Quote by kuchukuTulipNow the point of my thread is, why does this sort of a thing happen?

I believe we just might have overlooked the simplest answer to this question.

We as humans are just plain stupid bigoted self indulgent biobags. Then again I could be mistaken.

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by Cirru

Quote by UsagixKitsuneTruth itself is defined by what the majority of a group of people agree upon. .. The same thing goes for the concept of "good" and "bad".

No, the truth is not defined by people. Opinions are defined by people and facts may be distorted, but the underlying truth cannot be changed. Only hidden or smudged. Also, just because a majority of people come to a consensus, this does not mean it is the correct or right way.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneThe thing is you will always find someone with slightly different beliefs to you and ten more with beliefs that are contradictory or incompatible with yours.

Highly doubt that it is a 10:1 ratio of people with incompatible views to your own. If we look at what each other believes and thinks, then we might see that more people have things in common than is perceived.

Quote by UsagixKitsune You can find a group of people with similar ideas and try to enforce your ideas on others while keeping within the scope of the law. But then you would be back to where we are now, the very thing you're complaining about.

Yes, you can find groups of people with similar or even the same ideas/beliefs as yourself; however, enforcing your ideas on them is not the best approach. Suggesting and talking about different views/approaches can help breed understanding.

Once again, you part ways with reason and become one with ignorance.

'International truths' or subjective/questionable norm is defined by people - if you can't understand this then you have not lived long enough or have not had much experiences in Life to account for it. This 'Truth' you believe in will always be smudged out and the fact that it is - is the fact that the society defines your truths for you.
Once again:
Context - failing to understand this is a result of ignorance.

Perception itself consists of incompatible views and are most of the time: a by-product of it. The lack of recognition for a simple concept such as this is horrifying and a further demonstration of being unlearned in the basic lessons Life offers any individual.

---------------------------------------

Quote by UsagixKitsuneWho decides which colour is red and which colour is blue? Is stealing "bad"? Is it still bad if you will starve to death otherwise? What about a coin on the pavement, is that stealing too? If there is only one true answer to all these questions then who decides that answer?

Decision of color is a universally accepted thing - no one needs to decide on something that's already been decided and set in stone. Stealing for the sake of living and stealing for the sake of stealing are based more on morality than anything but the final verdict is decided based on the government as far as people are concerned with the Law.

The decision of right or wrong is based on fear and on the security system that humans put in place to govern other humans. Those who feel no fear for the consequences are deemed psychotic by the public, but only the knowledgeable knows what makes a person psychotic - adhering themselves from the 'blind labels' and delving further into reasoning surrounded by facts or Facts of Life.

Result: Whoever can prove with evidence, decides the answer - but is subject to bias of the current government. Everyone else can walk away and attempt to think they are 'better people' for not 'arguing' - but it doesn't make them any less disappointing than they truly are.

-------------------------------------

Quote by pandemonium91
This highly depends on the culture you come from: the more conservative it is, the more restrictive it is regarding breaking unspoken rules ("divorcing is a sin", "a woman is supposed to stay home and raise kids" etc.). How women are viewed also matters.

Your friend is lucky to have the support of family and friends. More often than not, I've seen women stay into loveless/abusive marriages because the family wouldn't let them break up for fear of public shaming; needless to say, they were unhappy. But if your friend is backed up by the ones close to her, she should go ahead and do what she thinks is best. Judging by what you said, her husband probably emotionally manipulated her into not getting a divorce by making promises he can't keep. I've seen this too.

Cirru's mom is a good example here: she knew that she'd be miserable and even though life was hard on her, she kept going. I'd hazard a guess that staying with her ex-husband would've probably made both her and Cirru more unhappy than they turned out to be.

Gossiping in smaller communities mostly exists as a way for the gossiper to make themselves look better by degrading someone else (see girls talking about another girl's "ugly" clothes or makeup). If you're emotionally unstable or have low self esteem you may be greatly affected by peer pressure and either hide what you're doing for fear of being "shamed", or force yourself to adjust to a lifestyle that you are firmly against.

Quote by UsagixKitsune Homosexuality results in fewer babies. This means fewer soldiers, fewer doctors, fewer engineers which can cause problems for the future well-being of a nation's defence and economy. Dependency on other counties for human resources makes things harder for the natural citizens of the dependant country.
Obesity can be viewed as an individual's lifestyle choice which burdens those around them. They have increased health issues which means unnecessary time and money is wasted within the healthcare system on their account.
Female divorcees can be seen as disloyal and ungrateful. They find a man who takes them in, shares his house and money with them and then they say KTHXBAI.

I think the most common reason for bullying homosexuals is the fact that pop culture makes them all out to be overly flamboyant/feminine - because, naturally, being anything other than a grunting bodybuilder automatically means you lack your Y chromosome. And since they're perceived as different/deviant from the norm (hetero)...well, you can see the result. Kids don't rationalize as far as babymaking goes.
Obese people may be seen as weak: no self control, not capable of defending themselves physically (no muscle mass).
To be harsh, what can a stranger say about a a divorced woman if they don't know her situation: "she probably wasn't good enough (sexually? housekeeping? mom?) and he left her" or "she probably ran off with someone else". Those are the two most common speculations I've heard and neither was true in their particular cases.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneThat's because you are using your own personal view on what is "right". What makes your views more valid than anyone else's?

He was talking about opinions. You can't say an opinion is "right" or "wrong", since it's just an opinion. A fact may be right or wrong. Example:
Opinion: The new MT layout is awesome. (someone can agree with me, another can say I'm wrong)
Fact: The new MT layout uses red, green and black for its color scheme. (you can argue that a person with an ocular deficiency - can't find the term for it now - may not see the red, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still there)

Quote by kuchukuTulipHow long will people keep talking? One day, One week, One year. They cant go on about it forever.

Until they get a new topic to talk about. Simple.

My question is: why are you and your friend so concerned about people gossiping? If anything, you should be "thankful" people are gossiping because it gives you a clear indication of whom you need to avoid. If these people say rude and mean things about strangers you'd better be sure they also say those about close "friends". I don't see how gossiping can change your life drastically, apart from being avoided by people you'd want to avoid in the first place; it's not like they'll refuse to sell you groceries or break into your house.

Sorry but I can't agree with any of this.

If you need support from friends to make your own decisions then you're not allowed to reap the best possible outcome - it's a giveaway that you're bad with decisions and should be suffering in order to learn. People try too hard to bank on their emotions and feelings ( i.e. Pity)
in order to validate how sad their state is - when this is hardly the case.
If you get suckered, that's your problem - because you are then required to learn from it by going through the hardships.

I'm not really gonna comment on another persons parent's situation since it doesn't interest me and because people find everything to complain about these days - but instead I'm gonna skew your example:
Have you ever thought that maybe someone's parent deserved to be treated that way? To suffer through that and not receive help? Knowing that now.. BECAUSE they screwed up, they suffer for it?

An answer would be appreciated here since I have a hard time understanding how something can be seen so one-sidedly. Many people deserve to suffer and many more deserve to die for their bad decisions.

Quote: Allowing multiple diseased poultry to breed only gives more room for bad genes to spread it's plague. We kill them to prevent it from becoming a pandemic.

People don't gossip to 'look better' - would you believe some do it just to have things to talk about? The outcome doesn't count since outcomes in groups of people is debatable based on the type of people. You can't shove all of this under 1 umbrella and make it a general statement to prove a point with. You are basically describing adaptability of humans based on their cognitive functions, but the example and wording is entirely wrong. People will do anything they can to be accepted, it's why people choose their routines and a re-route to why I believed some of them need to suffer for it.

I don't know why you bring the word 'fact' into a statement that can retain the word 'opinion'.
FACTS are NEVER wrong because they are established.
There are no pseudo-facts or 'would-be' facts or 'viewed-as-opinion' facts.

The example is a poor illustration as well mainly because you are confusing a description with an opinion then trying to prove that you are talking in the same context when you aren't.
You are ultimately wrong.

-----------------------------------------

Quote by pandemonium91*insert Game of Thrones image here again*

Quote by UsagixKitsuneI was presuming that the cultural context here was that of a community where woman have little or no education and are either a burden to their father or a burden to their husband, which would explain why deserting one's husband would be considered so repugnant. In western countries we don't have this problem because women can go to the same schools as men and do the same jobs as men or otherwise be on equal footing with their husband.

You'd be surprised. Romania's by no means a country where women don't have access to education, yet even in an urban setting a woman can be "shamed" for wanting to exit a serious relationship, depending on her social circle (though it's more common in the rural parts). Though this is anecdotal evidence.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneI think you mean that it doesn't change the fact that more people can see this colour than can't. The existence of the colour is defined by what the majority of people can perceive. If only one person could see the colour red would be believe him? Or would we throw him in a mental asylum?

We can also define the existence of the color by its hex code. So if someone said they could see red and others couldn't nowadays, I'm willing to bet that one of his eyes would be extracted and studied to mark the next step in human evolution, lol. Or end up with a very strong drug prescription, depending on which would be cheaper. We already know there are animals that can see a much wider spectrum of colors than humans can (see bees and butterflies), yet that doesn't mean those colors don't exist; we just aren't physically capable of registering them.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneI'm young but that's been my experience with gossipers too. The weird thing is they always seem to be surrounded by friends anyway. So much for karma.

Indeed. The ones I've been around (former classmates) seem to gravitate around gossipers to feel included - it's their little social circle, after all - and, to a less conscious extent, to ensure they're not the ones that are gossiped about.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneOur lives can be greatly effected by what people think of us. Whether someone will give you a job, or lend you money, or help you when you're in trouble is determined by what people think of you. What they think of you is based on your appearance, your actions and what other people say about you. How many hoops you should jump though to get someone's approval is another question.

Of course they are, I'm not denying that. But if we're considering work, I doubt anyone fair would deny someone employment based solely on their moral views on marriage and divorce. The favors and treatment you get from others doesn't depend solely on you, it also depends on the people you choose to surround yourself with (which mostly depends on you as well, but whatever). The gossipy woman next door that you bump to 3 times in one month shouldn't have further influence on you than being your neighbor, and if she's not someone you can call a "friend" her opinion on your private business should not matter as much to you.

Less pretentious version: if you ain't my friend, what I do ain't your business. It also ain't your place to meddle in it.

Hexcoding was formed after the color was recognized, hence it's a by-product of the mentioned 'perceived color'.
That was the context. I wouldn't comment too much on the capabilities of humans due to the fact we don't use a good majority of our brains as it is yet we have a wide-gap in intellectual capacity, we might be capable but our brain is not willing or not 'in-use' in the department required for it.

Gossiping is mostly used as a means for conversation or for one to start and is not all negative.

The reception you get depends on how much ass-kissing you do, that's all it is. It does depend solely on you because only you can turn into that person and only you can sink that low if you weren't already born low. Pleasing people has become easy enough to be black and white, at the same time congregating into different social groups has become simple and straightforward.

In reply to TT: People don't do the things you ask about due to lack of self-identity and lack of ability to cope.
I'd elaborate but this post is long enough.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

Quote by Darthas
Once again, you part ways with reason and become one with ignorance.

'International truths' or subjective/questionable norm is defined by people - if you can't understand this then you have not lived long enough or have not had much experiences in Life to account for it. This 'Truth' you believe in will always be smudged out and the fact that it is - is the fact that the society defines your truths for you.
Once again:
Context - failing to understand this is a result of ignorance.

Perception itself consists of incompatible views and are most of the time: a by-product of it. The lack of recognition for a simple concept such as this is horrifying and a further demonstration of being unlearned in the basic lessons Life offers any individual.

No, society doesn't define your truths for you. You define your own truths as you live life. You accept and discard what you choose to be true and believe in. If you want to believe differently, then that is fine, but don't call other people ignorant because their opinion differs from yours.

Perhaps, you could use some more life experiences and an open mind, so as to see things from a broader perspective and understanding.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by Cirru

No, society doesn't define your truths for you. You define your own truths as you live life. You accept and discard what you choose to be true and believe in. If you want to believe differently, then that is fine, but don't call other people ignorant because their opinion differs from yours.

Perhaps, you could use some more life experiences and an open mind, so as to see things from a broader perspective and understanding.

Ridiculous.

The context was that the society you live in defines your 'truths' to a point that for some it affects their personal life and choices subconsciously - denying this is ignorance. You are saying that, in the TT's context, if that your 'truth' is that weed shouldn't be illegal, you smoke it in states that consider it illegal because it's what you choose to be true and believe that it's right.

The absence of the mind in the things you just said is disturbing considering the time period we're in. Not to mention everyone tried hard to be clear about what they were saying - only to have you completely omit the most important and focal point of the discussion.

You also attempted to skew the context of the question through assumption and berate another's credibility by claiming that they have no life experience when they never once mentioned anything about themselves that reasonably gives you ability to gauge how they derived their answers. Keep the immaturity in the form of personal attacks in your pants.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Just gonna step in here. Guys, please try to remain civil. Its fine to question ideas, but please refrain from personal attacks.

Signature Image

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by Darthas If you need support from friends to make your own decisions then you're not allowed to reap the best possible outcome - it's a giveaway that you're bad with decisions and should be suffering in order to learn. People try too hard to bank on their emotions and feelings ( i.e. Pity)

I didn't say that. I said that it's good she has the support of her friends and family, as opposed to them rallying against her wish to divorce. Maybe I didn't word it as clearly as I thought. Having support from others can be crucial in the decision-making process; also, she'd decided to divorce on her own, the friends and family just reinforced that decision (not dictated it themselves). The husband was the one who swayed her away from implementing that decision.

Quote by DarthasHave you ever thought that maybe someone's parent deserved to be treated that way? To suffer through that and not receive help? Knowing that now.. BECAUSE they screwed up, they suffer for it?

Of course I have. My judgement was based on what Cirru agreed was acceptable for him to share publicly. The situation might be entirely different in reality, but that's the judgement I made based on what information I was offered. If more information was available I could either continue holding that opinion or change it completely, but it's not relevant in this discussion. The reasons for divorcing aren't what's being discussed, it's (not) being able to divorce without everyone being up in your business.

Quote by Darthas People don't gossip to 'look better' - would you believe some do it just to have things to talk about? The outcome doesn't count since outcomes in groups of people is debatable based on the type of people. You can't shove all of this under 1 umbrella and make it a general statement to prove a point with. You are basically describing adaptability of humans based on their cognitive functions, but the example and wording is entirely wrong. People will do anything they can to be accepted, it's why people choose their routines and a re-route to why I believed some of them need to suffer for it.

What I mentioned were a few reasons. I never pretended they were the only ones. Of course you can gossip a bit just to get the discussion going; I was only stating a situation I've personally witnessed. I also mentioned adaptability (though not with the same words you used) when I talked about what some women do to fit in i.e. give up on the idea of divorce in order to appear "proper" and not be gossiped about. Again, a situation I've personally encountered.

Quote by Darthas I don't know why you bring the word 'fact' into a statement that can retain the word 'opinion'.
FACTS are NEVER wrong because they are established.
There are no pseudo-facts or 'would-be' facts or 'viewed-as-opinion' facts.

The example is a poor illustration as well mainly because you are confusing a description with an opinion then trying to prove that you are talking in the same context when you aren't.
You are ultimately wrong.

I agree with the first part, it's pretty much what I said. Fact != opinion. Fact = cannot be considered morally or subjectively "right" or "wrong".
Isn't "awesome" subjective" while describing objective qualities isn't? Sorry, I don't get why you're saying that "MT's current layout features green, black and red" isn't objective. I even used the "default" color names so it wouldn't start a "but that's not X hue of red, that's actually Y hue of red" debate.

Not a reply to me, but "more life experience" != "no life experience". It does imply a lack of, but not a void. Just sayin'. /arguing semantics

Also, lighten up. You're darker than the current layout and ruining my inspiration *turns the waterfall settings on High*

And what does "TT" stand for anyway? D: I'm picturing something that's most likely WAY off the mark.

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Too much stuff to read...I'll just reply to post #1

From what I do know. Having a "wrong" life usually means you let others critisize you. People never have anything to say if you don't feel bad about it yourself. Because...what's there to bash about? You got everything to counter it. Different from your usual isn't bad, people are just afraid of something "different". It is one reason the world has had trouble accepting other cultures, (cultural?) habits, skin colors. The same goes with having a different life. The best is just to work away from it, in case you think it is bad yourself or embrace it and don't let anyone budge your way of living. As a reminder, there are different styles of living. Many people choose for a different style themselves. They are different but...they embrace it so who's to judge them? The normal people? Well, I'm glad I'm not like the average crowd. Like foreigners that haven't seen a Chinese person irl would say; They all look the same!

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Replying in order by paragraph - because: Long quote.
TT means Thread Title.

Quote: I didn't say that. I said that it's good she has the support of her friends and family, as opposed to them rallying against her wish to divorce. Maybe I didn't word it as clearly as I thought. Having support from others can be crucial in the decision-making process; also, she'd decided to divorce on her own, the friends and family just reinforced that decision (not dictated it themselves). The husband was the one who swayed her away from implementing that decision.

I didn't say that was what you said, all I was saying was that support and etc shouldn't count for anything because of the obvious outcome of reception they receive. If you say that support is crucial to any decision-making, then the person is arguably not strong enough to think for herself that she considers support as a crucial process. If she decided on her own, good for her, but the event will forever be marked as a misjudgement and a trophy yardstick for another failure in the cabinet. If it was reinforced, then it routes back to not being adamant individually that 'things like this' make your decision 'stronger'. (i.e. you don't feel regret or guilt)
Either way, illustrating that the PIQ has a weak mind.

Quote: Of course I have. My judgement was based on what Cirru agreed was acceptable for him to share publicly. The situation might be entirely different in reality, but that's the judgement I made based on what information I was offered. If more information was available I could either continue holding that opinion or change it completely, but it's not relevant in this discussion. The reasons for divorcing aren't what's being discussed, it's (not) being able to divorce without everyone being up in your business.

The TT is a question which basically asks for in-depth answers.
Relevance is determined only after it's mentioned, this should be a given - withholding information is why 2 of 3 things happen: People get no where in a discussion and people leave with no additional sources of information.
Also - Reasons for Divorce is related to why you are able or unable to divorce if you want to talk about culture and moral right or wrong. There is no reason why 2 things which are basically responsible for each other are 'not connected', hence why I said discussing relevance is not for an individual to decide in a discussion unless it is an absurdly obvious derailing post.

Quote: What I mentioned were a few reasons. I never pretended they were the only ones. Of course you can gossip a bit just to get the discussion going; I was only stating a situation I've personally witnessed. I also mentioned adaptability (though not with the same words you used) when I talked about what some women do to fit in i.e. give up on the idea of divorce in order to appear "proper" and not be gossiped about. Again, a situation I've personally encountered.

What is the point of this reassuring position?
I gave you more reasons to complete the post and I corrected/basically formed the backbone of what you said with the correct term you were describing.

Quote: I agree with the first part, it's pretty much what I said. Fact != opinion. Fact = cannot be considered morally or subjectively "right" or "wrong".
Isn't "awesome" subjective" while describing objective qualities isn't? Sorry, I don't get why you're saying that "MT's current layout features green, black and red" isn't objective. I even used the "default" color names so it wouldn't start a "but that's not X hue of red, that's actually Y hue of red" debate.

Not a reply to me, but "more life experience" != "no life experience". It does imply a lack of, but not a void. Just sayin'. /arguing semantics

There is nothing written here that requires any form of clarification. Also, personal attacks don't require validation in meaning or rationalization in what is written in them. They serve only to show how insecure a person can be when presented a view in a way that deviates from the most remote form of agreement.

Quote: Also, lighten up. You're darker than the current layout and ruining my inspiration *turns the waterfall settings on High*

I doubt my way of writing makes anyone think that way, this is a discussion of views. If someone is getting hurt, someone needs to go outside or grow up. I've no time to retort to every infantile mind who flails in a tantrum in front of me. They not only waste time but they also don't give people what they want to see, which are reasons.

-------------------------------------------(...)

Quote by ValunaToo much stuff to read...I'll just reply to post #1

From what I do know. Having a "wrong" life usually means you let others critisize you. People never have anything to say if you don't feel bad about it yourself. Because...what's there to bash about? You got everything to counter it. Different from your usual isn't bad, people are just afraid of something "different". It is one reason the world has had trouble accepting other cultures, (cultural?) habits, skin colors. The same goes with having a different life. The best is just to work away from it, in case you think it is bad yourself or embrace it and don't let anyone budge your way of living. As a reminder, there are different styles of living. Many people choose for a different style themselves. They are different but...they embrace it so who's to judge them? The normal people? Well, I'm glad I'm not like the average crowd. Like foreigners that haven't seen a Chinese person irl would say; They all look the same!

There are different styles of living but each denotes it's own universal grade of successes or failures, with the middle ground being the area with the most debate. Through these gauges, society breeds it's acceptance on their views, albeit not the same but at least in vast majority enough to be seen as norm.

You say who's to judge anyone?

Tell that to the sociopaths and the highly motivated people of religion, the kid who shot every toddler in the grade school which happened not too long ago and also those who move against the 'law of the world'. Styles of living can't be done away with because in some parts of the world it becomes a bar for success or even basic needs.

The american views of "mexicans have too many kids and they're all completely full of shit" and 'african americans belong on the roads and not schools' are judging the same people you illustrated; everyday and most of them can't be as carefree and unaffected as you're trying to say they can be. If something as unchangeable as race is a large factor as it is, what makes you think people would step up for themselves or shun away things in the way people have been suggesting so far?

The world doesn't have trouble accepting cultures and neither are they afraid, they just choose not to accept any culture other than that of the ruling party, yet no ruling party can change the environment just by wishing it or having their citizens hope for the best. It's much more complex to answer the TT if you're going down the cultural road.

Taking break again, knock yourself out.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Ah huge post and huge comments @.@
And what's with this random discussion on what truth and fact mean. It's not related to thread
But 'opinions' is. What's considered right or wrong, isn't related to truth but to opinion. And opinions of people change as circumstances change, and with them the definition of right and wrong changes too. And though kids don't consciously rationalize before bullying as far as babymaking goes, it might be a result of their upbringing which might reflect opinions and morals of not just their parents, but also their friends and their parents indirectly, who in turn got their values from older generations. We can only attempt to guess where and why it started. While I do agree that our so called morals all have their roots in the basic desire for survival, it can manifest in more subtle forms like selfishness etc.
Consider this instance of divorced women being treated unfairly as compared to men. I think it's because at some point of time, human society became a male dominated society due to various reasons. And the hard to get attitude of women(Observed in species other than humans as well) started being considered bad by the majority, which was make.. Other women, especially the succeeding generations which were raised in a male dominated surroundings might have started considering it as a fact that women are a bit inferior and the effect went on adding per generation resulting in women facing much injustice and unfair treatment
So even if one argues that morals are a by product of a commonly accepted opinion, I think this opinion was equally likely to sway in either direction, and just swayed in the direction which had the majority.
I'm not saying whose fault a divorce is, I'm just saying why women are treated more unfavorably in an event which might be a fault of either but regardless whose fault it is. It all just somehow got mixed with the culture and it wasn't right.
Also, I don't think it's wise to rush to the conclusion that she went back with her husband 'solely' because of social pressure. And I don't wish to comment on it as it's her personal matter.

As for other cases such as why gays are bullied, one can say that it's not good for furthering human species(that won't explain why it's frowned upon in India where population explosion itself is a problem)
I think it's something more simple, like the tendency of humans to reject things which are 'different'. As man is a social animal, he likes to stay a part of majority. So it's very easy to demonize the minority which quickly and automatically makes him a part of majority. That's why gossiping kids might have more friends. Also, this attitude might not be 'consciously' mean as it seems. It just doesn't occur to us that we are being unfair to someone who is just like us. We just aren't empathetic about minority unless we really put some thought into it or face some event that makes us put some thought into it or someone explicitly asks us to do so. consider this hypothetical example. I bet racists will be shattered if they just wake up one day and find themselves as a person of that hated race, and then realise that people of that race are just normal people who are just as friendly as his previous race, and also when he realizes that now he's being targeted by racism by his own fellows without even trying to get to know him and trying to realise that he was their old friend.

It is just our inability to empathize with minority as we don't really need to do so. That's why people are bullied discriminated against, killed, etc. you might say why two big races may fight if both have considerable numbers, it's because the number of people of those two races who actuall interacted with each other and affected each other is very very less. There might be other reasons,I'm merely speculating.

I think the only thing one can do to support such minorities is to try and make the majority realise that they are just normal people. This is a risky job though as you may end up being hated for opposing the majority.
It depends on how much you are ready to risk for the minority.

So the best way to stop this in my opinion is communication, the more we know, the less we'll hate. Internet is a very very good medium for such communication btw.

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by DarthasDecision of color is a universally accepted thing - no one needs to decide on something that's already been decided

You're going to be Mr pedanticpants now are you? Lets replace "decides" with "decided" in my original post then.

Quote by DarthasStealing for the sake of living and stealing for the sake of stealing are based more on morality than anything but the final verdict is decided based on the government as far as people are concerned with the Law.

This is the closest we've been to the topic at hand in a while. The Law is nothing more than a set of rules a group of elected individuals have agreed upon and those who break them are punished with prison. Communities have their own set of by-laws which are usually a lot less explicit, and the punishments include that which has been described in the first post; from individuals being shunned by the community all the way through to honour killings.

Quote by DarthasResult: Whoever can prove with evidence, decides the answer - but is subject to bias of the current government.

I disagree with this. Evidence is merely a means to an end. The answers are decided through power and influence. Evidence is a good way of influencing intelligent people, but not everyone is intelligent. For example the bible has influenced many laws and communal conventions throughout the ages without any kind of evidence or logical reasoning. Religion has shown that fear and intimidation can be far more effective and less work than any kind of evidence.

Quote by pandemonium91Of course they are, I'm not denying that. But if we're considering work, I doubt anyone fair would deny someone employment based solely on their moral views on marriage and divorce. ...

You are not being fair here because you are basing your replies entirely on your own surroundings. It's very easy for us to say it doesn't matter what the person next door thinks of us but that's not the case for everyone.

Imagine you live in within an ethnic minority group. You don't really know anyone outside your community or even speak the native language well. Imagine you live in a rural Romanian village with ~50 other people. You maybe went to school but you have no money and live with your parents. People who are in situations like these are completely dependant on the community and cannot afford to turn their back on the rules of the community. If you've seen Higurashi you may remember the scene where a street vendor wouldn't even sell Satoko bread because of what her parents did. Life can be very hard for people if they try to oppose the community and their collective sense of justice.

Quote by TheCompilerAnd though kids don't consciously rationalize before bullying as far as babymaking goes, ... As for other cases such as why gays are bullied, one can say that it's not good for furthering human species(that won't explain why it's frowned upon in India where population explosion itself is a problem)...I think it's something more simple...

I think it's important to rationalise our opinions. If we just go from, "homosexuality is bad because everyone says so" to "homosexuality is cool because everyone says so" nothing has really changed. We're just replacing one ignorant prejudice with another.

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

We could basically write an essay out of all the replies here, lol.

Quote by DarthasIf you say that support is crucial to any decision-making, then the person is arguably not strong enough to think for herself that she considers support as a crucial process.

Of course. The support of others is merely the icing on the cake. If a strong-willed person recognizes a decision as being highly important for themselves, they will act on it regardless of the presence or absence of external support. But sometimes the opinion of others may sway the more indecisive towards a good decision (e.g. a woman advising a friend to split up with her abusive boyfriend).

Quote by DarthasAlso - Reasons for Divorce is related to why you are able or unable to divorce if you want to talk about culture and moral right or wrong. There is no reason why 2 things which are basically responsible for each other are 'not connected', hence why I said discussing relevance is not for an individual to decide in a discussion unless it is an absurdly obvious derailing post.

That's the thing, though, Tulip was describing a situation where her friend would be gossiped about regardless of the reason for the divorce and regardless of who's most at fault for it (the blame is shared). Her husband could be the most notorious wifebeater out there, yet those people would still place the blame on her for trying to break it off with him - the excuses they may find are culturally/socially motivated ("she wasn't good enough", "she's easy", "she's a shrew" etc. - especially the "not good enough" part).
I do agree it's necessary to know the reason in order to be able to judge the situation correctly, but Tulip was talking about the community at large, which is not interested in logical reasons but emotional ones. The hypothetical conservative lady next door is hardly interested in knowing every little detail about why the wifebeater should go die in a fire, she will instead focus on why the wife wanted to bail out. Of course, in a more liberal community people might listen more or just outright not care about the divorce. Your business, doesn't affect me.
*pulls Darthas-kun's cheeks with her paws*

Quote by TheCompilerAh huge post and huge comments @.@

That's what happens when Darthas and I meet. It's a perpetual drama with varying degrees of relevance to the topic at hand.
Your paragraph is too long to quote so I'm gonna do it like this: yes, there are certain values that are inherited from previous generations. Also, it may be Tulip's friend's private matter but we're discussing it publicly and this is what we were given: she got married, found out the guy wasn't really how he seemed, she wanted to break up with him, friends and family supported her. Then the guy comes weeping and promising to change, and that, coupled with what she thought her community would think of her decision, made her change her mind about the divorce. True, a big part of it may be the "second chance/believe in true love" mentality, but you can't deny her perceived view of the community's possible reaction had no part in it.

A few reasons for bullying gay people: ingrained perception of what they "should" be like (feminine, flamboyant, openly expressing their feelings etc.), fear of the unknown/different (he/she is not like me, so he/she is a deviant), religion (I ain't touching this one), biology (gay relationships don't result in natural conception), perceived vulnerability, opinions that are passed on (dad/mom hates gays so I hate gays too to get on his/her good side). And I'll stop here because it's an entirely different issue that merits its own thread, not hijacking this one.

Quote by UsagixKitsuneImagine you live in within an ethnic minority group. You don't really know anyone outside your community or even speak the native language well. Imagine you live in a rural Romanian village with ~50 other people. You maybe went to school but you have no money and live with your parents. People who are in situations like these are completely dependant on the community and cannot afford to turn their back on the rules of the community. If you've seen Higurashi you may remember the scene where a street vendor wouldn't even sell Satoko bread because of what her parents did. Life can be very hard for people if they try to oppose the community and their collective sense of justice.

Hence the "fair" in my post. Should private lives (relationships only) be as important in a work environment as to prevent a person from getting equal treatment? No. As long as a person does their job properly and doesn't cause trouble with their coworkers, I doubt it has any relevance if they're gay or have 3 husbands. Or at least it's how I think it should be, in my ideal fairytale La-La Land c:
I agree that living in a small community makes the decision tougher. It's ultimately a debate between choosing to live comfortably (what you see as comfortable) or live according to the community's opinion of what is comfortable. Which can be extended to: be happy with your decision but shunned by your community, or be unhappy with the current state of things but accepted within the community. And it's up to every person in a possibly "socially-risky" situation to decide which of these is more important for them.

Still, I stand by what I said: Tulip, if your friend thinks she knows what's best for herself, then by all means act upon it. She knows her own situation and it's unlikely that the guy will change overnight, so this situation will most likely pop up again in the future. Hope we haven't scared you away, lol ^^"

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

Quote by pandemonium91Hence the "fair" in my post.

Life is not fair and there's nothing we can do about it so your "fair" is irrelevant.

Quote by pandemonium91Should private lives (relationships only) be as important in a work environment as to prevent a person from getting equal treatment? No.

But they are. Weather we get a pay raise or a job in the first place is all determined by what other people think of us. That's why it's important to uphold your public image. You don't turn up for a job interview in jeans and a hoodie for the same reason you don't tell your boss you spend your weekends watching Cartoon Ponies.

Maybe not where you live but in some places there will be someone who refuses to give a woman a job because she divorced her husband. Whether the reason is religious, moral or just because they are scared that the wider community will avoid his shop if he employs her, it does happen. It's not fair but it's not something you can't change by yourself.

Quote by pandemonium91And it's up to every person in a possibly "socially-risky" situation to decide which of these is more important for them.

Humans will usually follow the path of least resistance. It might sound crazy to a free woman living in the United States but staying with an abusive husband might actually be the easiest path.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Didn't have time to read everything, but let me continue:

Quote by UsagixKitsune

Quote: You're going to be Mr pedanticpants now are you? Lets replace "decides" with "decided" in my original post then.

Of course, and the answer still remains the same even after it's changed. Some times, inevitable things can't be discussed about - if it could, I would've made a discussion on who gave birth to people who should've been aborted.

Quote: I disagree with this. Evidence is merely a means to an end. The answers are decided through power and influence. Evidence is a good way of influencing intelligent people, but not everyone is intelligent. For example the bible has influenced many laws and communal conventions throughout the ages without any kind of evidence or logical reasoning. Religion has shown that fear and intimidation can be far more effective and less work than any kind of evidence.

Power and influence is basically a general requirement for the mentioned dealings and is why it's subject to government bias since that's where all the power, influence and corruption is. Religion is also nothing more than a pillar of support for people who are unable to cope with life themselves and require invisible supermen to guide them. They guide the children that are adults who didn't grow up and takes full advantage of their wishful thinking of being a blessed individual. This can cause many marital issues and views on people who break the 'sacred bond'.

Believe it or not, religion is one of the causes of the behavior described in the OP. It's one of the largest contributing factors to these described and questioned 'views and behaviors' albeit not the only culprit.

Quote by TheCompiler

Quote: And what's with this random discussion on what truth and fact mean. It's not related to thread

A discussion of truth and fact is as relevant than is anything we have discussed thus far.

Quote: What's considered right or wrong, isn't related to truth but to opinion. And opinions of people change as circumstances change, and with them the definition of right and wrong changes too. And though kids don't consciously rationalize before bullying as far as babymaking goes, it might be a result of their upbringing which might reflect opinions and morals of not just their parents, but also their friends and their parents indirectly, who in turn got their values from older generations. We can only attempt to guess where and why it started. While I do agree that our so called morals all have their roots in the basic desire for survival, it can manifest in more subtle forms like selfishness etc.

You are relating 2 entirely different concepts and attempting to bridge a gap of understanding between them. What makes you believe that the concept of right or wrong is based on opinions? It's based on cultural background and cultural setting, social moraes and situation of current environment behavior. Since you based this entire paragraph on it being an opinion, it makes everything in here not make sense.

Quote: Consider this instance of divorced women being treated unfairly as compared to men. I think it's because at some point of time, human society became a male dominated society due to various reasons. And the hard to get attitude of women(Observed in species other than humans as well) started being considered bad by the majority, which was make.. Other women, especially the succeeding generations which were raised in a male dominated surroundings might have started considering it as a fact that women are a bit inferior and the effect went on adding per generation resulting in women facing much injustice and unfair treatment

Refer to aforementioned quote ^

Quote: So even if one argues that morals are a by product of a commonly accepted opinion, I think this opinion was equally likely to sway in either direction, and just swayed in the direction which had the majority.
I'm not saying whose fault a divorce is, I'm just saying why women are treated more unfavorably in an event which might be a fault of either but regardless whose fault it is. It all just somehow got mixed with the culture and it wasn't right.
Also, I don't think it's wise to rush to the conclusion that she went back with her husband 'solely' because of social pressure. And I don't wish to comment on it as it's her personal matter.

Who said morals are a by-product of commonly accepted opinion? and who said, if anyone did, that it's swayed in direction of majority? I would like some examples and further clarification of this claim.

Quote by pandemonium91

Quote: Of course. The support of others is merely the icing on the cake. If a strong-willed person recognizes a decision as being highly important for themselves, they will act on it regardless of the presence or absence of external support. But sometimes the opinion of others may sway the more indecisive towards a good decision (e.g. a woman advising a friend to split up with her abusive boyfriend).

What did I say in that post that warranted a repetition of something I mentioned?

Even if it sways them to a good decision, you change nothing of the person as they are still weak-willed and weak-minded, whether before or after the happening. With accordance to the all-popular 'survival of the fittest' - these people will die out or get into more trouble, therefore it's easier to leave them to themselves than to save 1 out of a possibility of 20 bad outcomes.

For another example, take a prime example of Whitney Houston, who even after getting out of her marriage was still ruined and eventually led to her death. She had a good life before she met Bobby Brown and had a great career. She isn't the only one who has been in situations that ultimately demolished her life after you try to 'save them' - the fact remains that they bear the mark of their mistakes and more often than not, are damaged by it to a point they can't be repaired. Why bother helping at all when the outcome will never change?
People never change.

Nothing is more detrimental than a damaged role model.

Quote: That's the thing, though, Tulip was describing a situation where her friend would be gossiped about regardless of the reason for the divorce and regardless of who's most at fault for it (the blame is shared). Her husband could be the most notorious wifebeater out there, yet those people would still place the blame on her for trying to break it off with him - the excuses they may find are culturally/socially motivated ("she wasn't good enough", "she's easy", "she's a shrew" etc. - especially the "not good enough" part).
I do agree it's necessary to know the reason in order to be able to judge the situation correctly, but Tulip was talking about the community at large, which is not interested in logical reasons but emotional ones. The hypothetical conservative lady next door is hardly interested in knowing every little detail about why the wifebeater should go die in a fire, she will instead focus on why the wife wanted to bail out. Of course, in a more liberal community people might listen more or just outright not care about the divorce. Your business, doesn't affect me.
*pulls Darthas-kun's cheeks with her paws*

What was the 'thing'? Regurgitating information is hardly a 'thing'.
As usual, strawmen rule the skies when it comes to discussing marital issues, cultural norm and coping with gossip. I have listed countless examples and even attributes required to deal with this problem already.

You also can't assume people's thought process just by speculation, it's not credible and in most cases is never a reality when used as a hypothetical example. So why mention a minority reaction whose roots are in assumption? MYOB would make sense, if the OP didn't make a thread asking for reason. Since it's the opposite, MOB is voided - clearly someone did not follow your molded view on things which then caused the question to be asked. lol

'I'm sure out of 2 billion examples of human beings that 1 is the anti-christ'

Quote: Hence the "fair" in my post. Should private lives (relationships only) be as important in a work environment as to prevent a person from getting equal treatment? No. As long as a person does their job properly and doesn't cause trouble with their coworkers, I doubt it has any relevance if they're gay or have 3 husbands.

This deviates dangerously from the 'reality of the world' because private lives ARE important in the work environment due to the PEOPLE in the environment who find out about it. You don't need to trouble people to have them berate you, therefore is every bit as relevant when gay or with 3 husbands. Even if you believe it to be ideal in your fairytale-based life, it's not.

---------------------------------------

Quote: Now i know of three different places and know its environment. The place i belong from, people love talking about other peoples house matter and adding their own spice to it and spreading it around. The place i lived for sometime which is also the same. The place I was born and been living here for a long time, here most of the people are educated enough to mind their business and help the ones in trouble. But still i have seen people who enjoy suffering.

Now the point of my thread is, why does this sort of a thing happen? why are people afraid to take a step for themselves just because some people will talk about them? why do people enjoy other people's suffering? Is there something one can do to break this circle?

Everything which people mentioned might 'derail' the thread is actually more relevant if you know how to discuss it according to the TT.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Quote by Darthas

Quote: What's considered right or wrong, isn't related to truth but to opinion. And opinions of people change as circumstances change, and with them the definition of right and wrong changes too. And though kids don't consciously rationalize before bullying as far as babymaking goes, it might be a result of their upbringing which might reflect opinions and morals of not just their parents, but also their friends and their parents indirectly, who in turn got their values from older generations. We can only attempt to guess where and why it started. While I do agree that our so called morals all have their roots in the basic desire for survival, it can manifest in more subtle forms like selfishness etc.

You are relating 2 entirely different concepts and attempting to bridge a gap of understanding between them. What makes you believe that the concept of right or wrong is based on opinions? It's based on cultural background and cultural setting, social moraes and situation of current environment behavior. Since you based this entire paragraph on it being an opinion, it makes everything in here not make sense.

(no one's said the things I say, they're just things i've learnt after some idle thinking. It may or may not be right) Isn't whether a thing 'right' or 'wrong' merely an opinion? o.O Some of the opinions are shared by people of cultural background, etc what you said. (Maybe what I meant by opinion and what you mean by opinion is different? I should have chosen a different word maybe)
And if we did mean the same thing then what is the concept of right or wrong based on according to you? (you can pm me when you've time, cuz it might be a bit off-topic on current thread)

Quote: So even if one argues that morals are a by product of a commonly accepted opinion, I think this opinion was equally likely to sway in either direction, and just swayed in the direction which had the majority.

[color=#01DFD7]Who said morals are a by-product of commonly accepted opinion? and who said, if anyone did, that it's swayed in direction of majority? I would like some examples and further clarification of this claim.

[/color]

I just can't think of morals being anything other than shared opinions. Same as what's right and wrong. If you don't accept that, then first you'll have to pm me and then read rest of the comment if I manage to convince you ^^;
(^italicized for visibility for all those who don't agree with me so that you/they can see this before reading rest of the post)

Oh and my definition of morals as opinions also leads to me believing that morals don't always lead to betterment of human lives, if that's that you consider as what morals mean. For me morals just means whatever that makes living easier for the society, and hence I think it's vague and subject to change, both being properties of opinions.
Here's what google says:

Quote by google searchmor·al
ˈmôrəl,ˈmär-/
noun
plural noun: morals
a lesson, esp. one concerning what is right or prudent, that can be derived from a story, a piece of information, or an experience.
a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do.

it's just beliefs concerning what's acceptable or not, or what the 'right' thing to do is, (which according to me is an opinion) and I think what's 'acceptable' or 'right' is just decided by society in most cases. :\
morals(shared opinions) can considered to be so only if most people agree to that, right? That should be the reason why different cultures at different times have different notion of morals. In ancient times, killing/torturing people in the name of God wasn't considered bad at all, qualities like bravery, etc. were associated with such behavior. I think wars must have lost all their glory when all those guns came in and killing people became too easy and facing guns became more stupid than brave.
as for the example.. hm... man, I can't think of any good example =.='
hm... well consider terrorists, like suicide bombers, etc. Because majority of people around them believe that doing so for whatever reason is 'right' whether or not it is, even they start actually believing that refusing to kill yourself or others would be immoral, something that'll make them socially unacceptable, which will alienate them from people among whom they grew (which will basically end their life as they knew it so far.) which they find less appealing than death(which they were probably led to believe was a relatively awesome thing) anyways, but for some different person who grew up in different surroundings, of maybe the same religion and region, just different people, would think that murder and suicide is a very immoral thing to do. Now, what's the difference between the two? Just that 'majority' of people around them during their formative years thought different things to be right. And until someone really stirs up things with some kind of revolution in their surroundings which resonates with their thoughts, they'll continue to believe in their 'morals' which was merely an opinion shared by majority of people around them, of which they're a part now.

and that example made me think of another reason for which a woman might wanna go back to even an abusive husband, other than reasons mentioned so far; it's because she simply grew up 'among' all those gossipers and really thought that divorced woman was really worthless or something and it had never occurred to her that something similar might happen to her too! And when it did occur, she had two choices, whether to believe that she and people around her and whatever she thought was right till then, was all wrong, or face the reality and change. People can't face reality easily.

merged: 12-23-2013 ~ 04:11pm

Quote by UsagixKitsune

Quote by TheCompilerAnd though kids don't consciously rationalize before bullying as far as babymaking goes, ... As for other cases such as why gays are bullied, one can say that it's not good for furthering human species(that won't explain why it's frowned upon in India where population explosion itself is a problem)...I think it's something more simple...

I think it's important to rationalise our opinions. If we just go from, "homosexuality is bad because everyone says so" to "homosexuality is cool because everyone says so" nothing has really changed. We're just replacing one ignorant prejudice with another.

Yeah you're right, we should, I was just saying that kids probably don't do that before bullying even if they should.

edit: I think this is MT's longest page of a forum post ever now.

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 27 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.