Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What is the meaning behind your username? - Minitokyo

What is the meaning behind your username?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Everyone has such interesting and unique usernames. I'm always wondering how people come up with them, or if there are stories behind them. So, here's the place to share the history of your username!

For me, Rurouni Kenshin was my first "real" anime (not counting dubbed stuff on tv like Sailor Moon and DBZ). I own the entire series, OVA, and movies. However, there was a filler episode called "Legend of the Fireflies" about a man searching for the ultimate sword style, and the woman who waits for his return.

The legend (in the story) went, if you went to this spot by the river everyday for a year and prayed to the fireflies, they would grant your wish, which is what the woman in the story does.

I thought it was a bittersweet story, but the idea behind making wishes and fireflies stuck, and thus "fireflywishes" was born.

Now its your turn!

Signature Image

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

Akiranyo. Akira (name) and nyo (cat sound).

Akira was the name how my friends on our party used to call me. We are a really weird bunch - all of us have completly different ages and gone to different schools. We got know each other trough anime (on Anime Expos) and now we are going even on trips together. So, they pasted on me Akira, but I don't recall why.
Nyo is from Di Gi Charat, the anime which made my return to anime. The 90s designs aren't that good from todays view, but when I spotted the Di Gi Charat characters, after long years of heavy PC gaming...of well, I'm here now. And no...I don't really like cats. Or better say, I try, but they don't like me for some reason, maybe they feel from me that I'm a dog lover.

I had even thoughts to change it...something close to my favorite characters, Astraea or Satella...but is too late for it now. My walls are already a way too much scattered trough the web and pretty much everybody who knows me here or any other website, uses the Aki name.

Since I write satires, my whole life is one huge inspiration. (Horatius)
Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Darth Ass.

I'd give an explanation for that but it's not needed.
Also 'ass' was censored for some sites so I made it child-friendly.

My initial name was Vex64, the 64 was a random number I rolled dice to get. After a while, people started calling me Lex since everyone was into the A/S/L for chatrooms, sooner or later they asked for my name. I still used Vex64 but changed it during the time forums started becoming common - when people lurking 20 hours in a forum was normal.

Switched to Lex because for the community and chatroom I was in, everyone pretty much said Lex was smoother on reading than Vex - {"Get it done Vex" doesn't sound as good as "Get it done Lex"}, was what one of them said. I used to discuss ToI's in that chatroom and I ended up talking and arguing for hours back and forth between people and one of them was impressed with how I basically managed to retort everything and never stopped.

Few weeks after that, the chatroom people played game and since nobody wanted to be the scorewriter for hangman, we changed our usernames - 1 less letter of it any time we lose a life. That way everyone could see the others lives.
Everyone basically had the name length they decided on (which was 7 lives/7 letters) by adding 1-2 numbers behind their name. My name was the shortest so I needed 4 more letters. Lex6464 or any combination of numbers looked stupid, so I named myself Lexicon instead.

It sounded good enough to carry around so I kept that name past 2004 to now.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

I've always read akiranyo's name as "Aki" and "ranyo" :o I don't know why.
Lol, Darth Ass. Some would agree. Hangman sounds fun, I haven't played it in ages.

My user name is quite simple. It's based on the song "Sweet Pandemonium" by H.I.M., a band I used to love during my teenage years; it holds a special place in my heart even now~ And 91 is my birth year, because every Romanian person in my generation had an unhealthy obsession with adding numbers to their screen name.

My username on Animepaper had a more interesting story (sort of). I wanted something that would sound "smart" (lol), so I thought about it for a few days and came up with "infinity-explorer". But what most may not know is that it isn't my first account there; nope! It's actually my second, because I kept submitting wallpapers that got rejected and stood at an impressive -600 papers, lol. So I decided to start anew c: /shameless rebel rule breaking

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

ndox900

ndox900

ndeso forever ^_^

ndox900

the story is... when im in high school my friends call me Telor maybe cuz im always cut my hair and left them just 1 millimeter, sometimes they still coll me Telor. the user name came from it and that the story behind my user name , about the meaning ndox = Egg.

Telor ---> ndok ---> ndox

Telor/Telur is Indonesia Language , ndok is traditional language of Java , ndox is just me to make it more cool and for the 900 it happen to be close to each other and cuz user name usually need min. six character. well thats it simple enough ,right ? :D

hmm... i'm sleepy Signature Image

shadowwhuntress

shadowwhuntress

Divergent

Shadowwhuntress

When I created my Minitokyo account, I was really addicted to Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices trilogy. It's a fantasy book about shadow hunters, vampires, werewolves, magicians and other supernatural stuff.
I thought that hunter was a little bit meh so I changed it into a feminine one (huntress) plus the extra w because of I don't know why.

And that's the birth of shadowwhuntress!

here for a moment

Chikaru-chan

Chikaru-chan

ex nihilo nihil fit

Chikaru-chan.
When I was still young (like 10 years ago) I had obsession with anime/game Sonic. There’s character named ‘Tikal The Echidna’. I really liked this one and I decided to use her name as my nickname. I wanted to be more ‘original’ and tried say ‘Tikal’ in more Japanese way. One day I found somewhere on internet page translator: ‘Check your name in Japanese!’ and typed this nickname. Of course translator wasn’t great and he used only hiragana. So when I wrote ‘Tikal’ and pressed ‘check’ I saw: Chikaru (ちかる). I was kinda surprised and said: ‘Wow, this’s awesome. I will be Chikaru from today’ XD
Normally, it should be more like Tikaru(ティカル) than this but after all I got nice nickname which I used it till my graduate from high school.
I added ‘-chan’ because Chikaru-chan sounded for me more cute (tehe~).
Now, I have different nickname but also have many sentimental to this one here :)

"I believe there is another world waiting for us.
A better world.
And I'll be waiting for you there."
Signature Image

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Actually...Valuna is one of my first internet nicknames. I only had a different one previously on some other forum fan site (first experiences on a forum..it was a Sonic forum, Sonic Adventure time-ish 1999-2000). You should be able to guess to what it was related as it was half my lifetime ago. I did always envy my brother for his original nickname...I wanted one too. I guess Valuna somehow crossed my mind to use after enough thinking..I don't even recall anymore but it was around 2000-2001. Yes, I recall watching Wild Arms Twilight Venom as it was still new and finding it funny that my new nick or something looked like something mentioned there "Faluna Bible". Apparently I'm able to depict when I got my name...I did start off using Valuna Spiral as nick...dropping the second part after some time.

To be honest...I've had tons of nicks and I still have. Valuna just sticks to me as it was my first unique one. I could use it on any site...now, it somehow seems some people are using it aswell and I can't use "Valuna" plainly anymore to merely register.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

UberDog

UberDog

I Walk Alone...

Read this...and all will be explained.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz84/LastLoneWolf/Speedy%20Image%20Bin/220px-Vurt_JeffNoon_UPCover_zps3cf04518.jpg

Knowledge and Time are the Keys to Wisdom.Signature Image

windyroller

windyroller

Certified Chocoholic

I created this UN while signing up on a Sailor Moon gallery site years ago. I saw a ballpoint pen with the Wendy's logo, so "windy" for Wendy's and "roller" from the ball in the ballpoint. It's been one of my main handles ever since.

Valuna, I always thought that the sad part when signing up on some sites now, especially if you've had that username for a long time. The username just doesn't flow as well when (using my UN as an example) you have to register as "windyroller435."

Smile; it makes people wonder what you're up to.

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

Quote by pandemonium91I've always read akiranyo's name as "Aki" and "ranyo"

Some users of AP called me "ranyo". I think motogp started it and some others followed.

Quote by pandemonium91infinity-explorer

Back on AP I always thought of that as Internet Explorer.

Quote by pandemonium91impressive -600 papers

Glad to see that both you and IE got better. Though I keep my Firefox!

Since I write satires, my whole life is one huge inspiration. (Horatius)
Signature

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Everyone has a more interesting name than I do.

Especially Chikaru and Val, though I admit that I thought Aki's name was Aki-ranyo. lol Val basically halved her name and Pande would be better off as SweetPandemonium91.

Requesting name change.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

Mine is so simple it hurts, it's just a diminutive of the word hueso. In spanish, hueso means bone and huesin means little bone. The truth is, I wanted to use Huesito as my username, because that's also my nickname in real life, but that one was already taken..

On a side note, my username has nothing to do with Hussein.. some people get confused and call me that instead of Huesin. It's not that it bothers me or anything, because Hussein supposedly means handsome but, anyways, don't use that nickname please =/

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Mine isn't nearly as interesting as everyone else's, lol. >.>

It's not that uncommon to find "__(insert random word here)____ ninja" on the internet, so I guess 13 year old me was unoriginal? Also, I have a reputation among my friends for making really good snickerdoodles, and I liked the flow of Snickerdoodle + Ninja.

There you go.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

My username isn't anything original either lol. It's just basically my real name written backwards. It sounded pretty neat so I decided to stick to it.

Signature

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Everyone else is so creative with their usernames, you own them.

Quote by akiranyoBack on AP I always thought of that as Internet Explorer.

Everyone did, lol. I hated it more and more with each passing day.

Quote by DarthasPande would be better off as SweetPandemonium91. [...] Requesting name change.

Request denied, please proceed to checkout.
As much as I love my angsty music, I'd be worse off basically nullifying the signatures on all my things.

Quote by HuesinOn a side note, my username has nothing to do with Hussein...

Well that makes for an awkward explanation, I guess.

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Anther

Retired Moderator

Anther

There isn't a meaning behind mine either.
When I had to choose a nick to register on MT, lacking of creativity, I simply typed random letters in wordpad and then picked those that looked easy to pronounce. That's all.
I've never thought that they could have a meaning, and I discovered after 2 years what anther is. ^^"

Mayuuki

Linguistics

Mayuuki

(ノ^ヮ^)ノ*:・゚✧

When I watched Fushigi Yûgi with a friend in 2008, she told me that I looked like Miaka Yuuki and had the same personality of her, and I discovered that we really look alike and have the same zodiac sign. That time I was called as Mack-san (don't remember why LOL), and I decided that I needed a new nickname. So, I merged the "Ma" from my name (Marcela) with her surname "Yuuki", and soon people started to call me that way until now.

But I didn't knew the meaning of Yuuki, and when I searched about it I found out that one of the readings means "courage". So, I decided to find a meaning for the "Ma" too, and discovered that it can mean "true, real". So, merging the kanjis "真" (ma = true, real) and "勇気" (yuuki = courage), Mayuuki means "true courage". Yeah, it turned into a name. XD

Ah, the kanji of Yuuki that I choosed isn't the same of Miaka's surname. Her is "夕城" that means "evening castle", but the people like to use "courage" because fits her more. (Okay, I know it's a useless information)

Well, that's it! ^.^

linguistics-teamtag-liciousvampire-knight

Aiira

Linguistics

Aiira

SOON..

My username is quite easy to understand for some who have known me for a long time. :D
I used to have AiiroPrincessNoel as my username, since I made my MT account when I was 14 years old. I loved watching Mermaid Melody then and I always liked the characters who were quite invisible to the others. So I guess I just loved the character named Noel and her being a Princess and her colour being Aiiro (Blue Gray) as I would described it.

Now I use the username Aiira which if I remember correctly I changed about two years ago when I came back to MT after three years of hiatus.
My username now is derived from my real name Laarni since not a lot of people can pronounce my name properly I was nicknamed Aira in my school. I just added another 'i' to spice it up a bit. :D

And that is my story of how I got my username xD

Signature
CHERISH yesterday
DREAM tomorrow
LIVE today

Danielly

Danielly

Crucify my Love...

this thread sounds interesting, my username has some creepy story behind it, when i was in high school i had a series of strange dreams revolving around a girl with the initials DL the dreams were really creepy but the whole story it formed was rather cool and somehow i couldn't shake off the feeling that i was kinda dreaming with something that had really happened or maybe connected with an ancerstor of mine or somehting (if anyone is interested i can give you a link to a fanfic i wrote with the overall plotline of the dream lol), later when i gave birth to my first original character (Lexas Eduard Levi) I ended up creating five different ending for his story depending on some hard choices he had to make in his life, in two of his endings he had non-identical twins and i named the girl Danielly Levi (refere back to the creepy dream and the fact that the girl had as initials DL) so in a creepy way Danielly became my alias and i really loved it even though i'm now mostly known by other nicknames (Himuro Michiyo and kangminbread)

Signature

Huesin

Administrator, Linguistics

Huesin

dead to everyone

Quote by pandemonium91Well that makes for an awkward explanation, I guess.

It makes sense when you notice how many people actually called me that x.x

Oh and change your name to SweetPande-chan, seriously xD

Signature
	ImageThere's always one who plants an evil seed and
preaches fear to pull you to the other side
Into a world of lies.

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

Quote by Daniellythis thread sounds interesting, my username has some creepy story behind it, when i was in high school i had a series of strange dreams revolving around a girl with the initials DL the dreams were really creepy but the whole story it formed was rather cool and somehow i couldn't shake off the feeling that i was kinda dreaming with something that had really happened or maybe connected with an ancerstor of mine or somehting (if anyone is interested i can give you a link to a fanfic i wrote with the overall plotline of the dream lol), later when i gave birth to my first original character (Lexas Eduard Levi) I ended up creating five different ending for his story depending on some hard choices he had to make in his life, in two of his endings he had non-identical twins and i named the girl Danielly Levi (refere back to the creepy dream and the fact that the girl had as initials DL) so in a creepy way Danielly became my alias and i really loved it even though i'm now mostly known by other nicknames (Himuro Michiyo and kangminbread)

That's a pretty amazing background.

[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

When I first started using screen names I used a different one on every site and even then changed them regularly. I pulled them from a variety of different sources, but usually anime and video games. So for a certain site I joined in 2008 or thereabouts I wanted to use something related to Straight Cougar from s-CRY-ed. I ended up choosing his alter power, RadicalGoodSpeed, which is way too long a name for anyone to type out. Most people would instead call me RGS, Rad, or Speedy. About a year after that, I was sick of the name and had an epiphany. Since people were calling me Just "Rad" if I was going to change the name why not embrace the nickname and call myself "JustRad." Since I have a lame sense of humor I liked the pun and how versatile the meanings were. It could be like "just call me rad" or arrogantly "I'm just awesome" or "that's just the way I am" (like if you say "oh that's just Bob").

Plus at the university I attended at the time there was a bulletin board that said "Undergrad" on it and listed things of interest to students, except the G was missing so it read "Under Rad," like the department was under my protection. I used to fist bump the R as I walked by it.

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

My story is a bit of a story within a story.

Originally, I went by Blizzard. I used that name for a Jazz Jackrabbit 2 video game, and the name sort of stuck with me when I played StarCraft, WarCraft 2 B.net and a few other games. I also used it on various forums on and off. The name itself more so came from my sister's traveling soccer team. It also went hand in hand with the weather conditions that I experienced in my hometown when I was younger. For some reason, the name stuck. Even through all of the times that I tried changing it and experimenting with other names.

When I joined up with Minitokyo, I decided to change it. Since at that time I was 19, and Blizzard was a name I used back when I was 13, I decided that it was time for an "upgrade" to the name. Cyanide itself came from a combination of the poison and the color. Given my age, I can conclude that due to traditional teenage angst I really liked the name (so much so that when I joined AnimePaper I used CrimsonCyanide). There wasn't any real attraction to it, but more so that I liked how it looked and ended up sticking with it for various things. I still use it to this date, mainly because I got tired of switching so many nicknames back during my younger years.

Signature Image

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.