Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 AMD (CPU) vs Intel (CPU) - Minitokyo

AMD (CPU) vs Intel (CPU)

What a CPU you have in your primary computer?

AMD
1 votes
Intel
6 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 4 total items

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

In May it will be 2 years that I purchased my current setup with a Intel Core i3-2120 3,3Ghz/Sandy Bridge 2/1155 socket. It was a quite new socket with promising features, so I thought it will hold out a few years. Now I'm noticing that is absolutely not the case, being replaced by socket 1150 and for example AM+3, the socket of AMD CPU's which was arround long before my 1155, is still in business. It seems that now if I want to upgrade, I need upgrade the BIOS of my ASUS motherboard to accept the Ivy Bridge system and snatch a 1155 socket i5/i7 as long is still sold.
Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the power what offers, it may be a "only"dual core, but it has hypertreading, which makes it as 4 logical cores (even Win 7 shows as a 4 core) and when it was new, it has beaten all 4 cores from AMD, even 2 models from the 6 core family and by the fact that it needs only 65w, while those AMD used 95-125w. The only backdraw was that is equipped with a Intel HD integrated GPU, while AMD's have pretty powerful Radeons. Though as I use a custom nVidia Geforce card, doesn't bothers me that much.
My previous CPU was also a Intel, a Intel D 2,8Ghz, but is pretty old by now with insufficient power for new applications.

So what you own? Are you happy with it's performance? What a setup would you get by next upgrade?

Since I write satires, my whole life is one huge inspiration. (Horatius)
Signature

First for AMD processors.
My current processor is an AMD Athlon II x3 445 @ 3.10ghz. It's performance is pretty good, never used all of it, even though I tend to run a few things while playing games. The only bad thing about it is that it overheats pretty fast, least if your paste between the cooler and the core is old like mine was. After applying new one it worked like 3-4 years ago.(overheating=shutdown btw)
Back then some kids told me that AMD's suck, children and their endless knowledge and experience with processors. Least the guy in the shop told me better and I accepted his build.
As for the next purchase I was thinking about a laptop with an intel,actually. The new i7 cores look tempting and I don't know anything about applying cooling paste in laptops, so I play it safe and pay a bit more.

Spoiler (show)

Do you still rike me,aki-chan?

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

Quote by merynoko

Spoiler (show)

Do you still rike me,aki-chan?

Does my post indicates that I'm some hardcore Intel fan? Not at all! 1,5 year is quite a time in computers, and it just happened that a Intel was the most logical choice that time, as long the bulldozer architecture of AMD turned out be a complete fail and some of the better AMD acted like a cemetery for energy with their 125w (220 for 8 cores) consumption. Except that GPU backdrive was also that I needed a more expensive motherboard which costed 30% more as a similar one of AMD. (I went with the more pricey Z68 chipset due the support of USB 3.0 and SATA III)

If I would buy now, I would go probably for a AMD, particularly for the AMD A10-6700 (Quad-Core, 3.7GHz, 65w, AMD Radeon HD 8670d) It has a power like i5 for the price of a i3 and has a very powerful integrated GPU which would allows playing even the newest games in high quality.
Though one of my other concerns is that you need install additional drivers for AMD CPU by some games.

Quote by merynokooverheats pretty fast

I could cook on my old AMD Athlon XP 1700, seriously I could do it. When once I played Doom 3, it went up to 80 Celsius. Could use that when is chilly in my room. Otherwise I doubt that the new AMD - Trinity or Richland, would have this trouble. My current Intel doesn't get above 40 celsius even under load, thanks to the custom CoolerMaster fan.

Since I write satires, my whole life is one huge inspiration. (Horatius)
Signature

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

My desktop has a 4 year old i7 (920, one of the first models). I was considering upgrading my motherboard at some point but I ran into the same problem with the newer sockets being incompatible with the older processors. I'm not just going to throw an i7 in the bin, no matter how old it is.

It's still plenty fast though. My final year project at university was AI related. Search tree traversal is a notoriously expensive. I developed the whole thing on my then 8 year old core 2 laptop (literally the first x86_64 laptop available). I spent a lot of time optimising the process so that really small trees could be solved in about 6-7 minutes for live demonstrations. When I ran that code on my i7 it blasted through in 20 seconds flat. So the 7 year difference in processing is quite staggering.

My new laptop is an i5, and my home server runs an old core 2, still x86_64 though so not that old. All my other machines have arm or mips processors, no AMDs I'm afraid.

Politically speaking though AMD is the underdog. Intel dominates the market, so it does make sense to favour AMD; we don't want Intel to run the show any more than they do now. Competition is good for many reasons.

Thought I don't have any first hand experience, at a glance AMD products do appear to offer higher specs for lower cost than Intel or Nvidia. Which does make sense because they need to work harder to compete. Intel has more of a "take what we give you, bitch" attitude.

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.