Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Stem Cell reseach!!!! Should we go for this?!? - Minitokyo

Stem Cell reseach!!!! Should we go for this?!?

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Frosty

Frosty

: One Luv :

Someone on one of my fourm said something about stem cell research which I had just have a run in with this great deal that earn me a good amount of $ today in the real world.... lol so I fought I'll share my foughts with you guys on this one since I fought I'll never hear these things here in this happy MT place lol.... ^^

So yea here goes, Stem Cell reseach! One of the hottest topic on the election. To be or not to be with this all powerful and possible possiblity of able to regenrate dead cells and or body parts and cure all kind of possible illness.

A German man who had his lower jaw cut out because of cancer has enjoyed his first meal in nine years thanks to stem cell reasearch. He had a new jaw grow out form his back and cut that part out to replace his jaw so he can have a jaw again. "This may sound sick but its the future possiblity."

should read this too if you guys have the time.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/08/27/jaw.transplant.ap/

This thing cures Alzheimer, Parkinson, has the ability to regenrates body parts, or even origins and brain cells!!! It has a potental Godly power literally in a sense. XD

So why aren't US gov giving founding to this? In California, US they are gonna past a state funding for further research, but with the likes of Bush is still saying we don't want a part of this and help people and becaue he think getting a aborted baby or the egg of a woman is consider killing a person which here is the tough and moral part!!!

Now whats up with that?!?! Of course we don't know so oh well. I think I just wrote an essay, so I'll cut it short. Yes or No on stem cell research and why? "I'm like putting the hard ass questions out here on a happy anime land." lol... XD

Signature

thelunarmage

thelunarmage

I'm getting too old for this...

This is indeed a tough question to answer. I'm conflicted about it because I'm religious, but the potential for so much good to me almost outweighs the dangers this power introduces. I'd like to err on the side of caution on this topic, but I'll answer that I'm for stem cell research because of the benefits we can gain from it. Just my $0.02. :)

Phantom: You alone can make my song take flight! It's over now, the music of the night! - The Phantom of the Opera

Proud member of: Oldsters |MegatokyoFC | GameThreadSociety | Goddess-Fanclub | Dub-Lovers-Group | ChrnoCrusade | MT-Singles-Club | Minitokyo-Australia

i havta say yes. why? why not? if it's beneficial to mankind, then why not? all this controversy is just slowing down progress in that field of research. but i think its potentials are a bit exaggerated, especially the german man with the jaw. its not that easy to grow tissue

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

As a biologist with vested interests in biotechnology (as I hope to enter the industry in less than 10 months) I know my views are highly biased. But it's an informed bias, at least. The thing is, stem cell research will progress. That is the way of science. Politics may get in the way but enough people believe in the technology and the promise that research will go on. It IS going on, in public facilities in the US (which had derived cell lines before Bush pushed his own agenda forward), in private facilities which do not rely on government funding, and in many other nations around the world which do not have such restrictions. As Frosty pointed out, Prop 71 on California's state ballot is a measure to provide state funding for research. It will be interesting to see how the voters choose on this topic, especially with such major universities like UCSF and a ton of biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies who would love to be able to freely persue this line of research.
I am torn on the issue, although for a different set of reasons than many others. I've watched the trends in the biotechnology industry (it's part of my coursework) and well... to put it bluntly, biotechnology is grossly overhyped. For example, everyone remembers the huge hullabaloo following the completion of the draft of the Human Genome Project a few years ago, right? Well, as of today, not one single drug has been brought to market as a direct consequence of that. (Granted, it takes upwards of 15 years to bring ANY drug to market.) But now that the hype is gone, we're left with the pieces. (It turns out that the Celera sequencing project, which used a technique known as "shotgun sequencing" may not be as accurate as originally hypothesized, and a rather large chunk of our genome draft may end up being nothing but junk.) I'm afraid that this is going to happen to embryonic stem cell research. A lot of hype now, and what will happen in a few years? Only time will tell. Just like the Human Genome Project, stem cells haven't cured anything, or produced anything tangible. Just data. Lots and lots of data. Also, all the hype on embryonic stem cells draws attention away from what I believe to be an equally important technology, adult stem cell research. Not only does using adult stem cells sidestep the problem of using embryos which may become human life, but to me, the best solution would be to take a few cells from your own body, modify them, and stick them back in. There would be almost no immune reaction, because you're using your own cells, and only your own cells.
If you've gotten this far, congrats. I'll wrap this up by saying, despite all my misgivings which I've remarked on in the last paragraph, funding should not be stopped. Science waits for no man. If we don't fund these programs in the US, you can be sure another country will fund it there. And we'll be left behind, trying to play catch up. We have to be in this for the long haul.

Frosty

Frosty

well Wall street saids.....

I don't wnat to show you people this for I don't want to mix business with fun and happy land but behold!

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=STEM&d=t
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=astm

can you say another .COM bubble world ALL OVER again!!!!

I just wana know what will it happen when wall streets opens up in the morning!!! XD

anyways, hella off topic. XD

I vote for the prop 71 to put more money into this possiblity because as a investor, and also someone who works in the medical field, this could be the great cure for all illness that we have been looking for so we must try it, even throgh it will be tough for research in the US.

Signature

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

You can't call those two companies for being in a bubble. Their stock prices are at $4 and $1 respectively. There's no where for the bubble to burst, these two companies are pretty much ROCK bottom. I think all the markets realigned themselves after the dot com bubble to something more closely resembling realistic, although I agree that biotech and pharma have always been solid performers. These two companies, though, appear to be burning through their cash at a fairly good clip (StemCells reported a quarterly loss of $4 million, and their available cash is fairly modest $20 mill while Aastrom seem to have similar numbers.)
For these guys, there's nowhere to go but UP! :D

Frosty

Frosty

Off topic again but tama got me interested... ^^

astm will still go UP! but stem, this guy when I brought it it was $1.35 " I saw this thing below $1 before" and in less than 2 weeks something Crazy thing like a rocket luncher just go go go go go & go... dam... wtf... Of course I don't mind, for I sold it today at $4.75 but don't you forget, this is a losing market, the entire world market is like dead almost with estimate a good few hundred billion dollars sitting some where on the side lines not putting in the market and out of No where this guy just do a few duouble to its value. so yea, that the kind of bubble I'm talking about. ^^I haven't seen a stock move like this since, well, it wasn't too long, "sirius radio & google" but other than that, you have to go back to the .com days for this kind of monster grwth. Growth is okay but in a what us day trader called "pump and dump". its gonna drop til you wet your pants. XD

Of course if Kerry wins, who knows whats gonna happen. "More $ for stem cell research" Since Kerry is all for it. But I'll just take home the $ and play somethng thats not ride by politics. ^_^

i know I'm hella off topic and I know I just brought some bad money greed and evil politics into this happy world, so I'm sorry if I ruin this happy land alittle bit. :hmpf:

I still think if Kerry wins, I would probably make a big mistake selling it so early, but if Bush wins, research money won be there as much, and other country will jump on doing this research, like Germany for example. I hope US would be more commit to it for this could be something big. GOD like big!!! iIt has the possibity. ^^

Signature

Abortion is a very bad thing. and stem cell research, I don't know too much into the detail but it does seems to is requires an aborted baby in order to this research, which is just same thing as killing someone and then use their cells so another may live. There got to be another way to this.

and for your comments that this has a godly potiental, MAN are not GOD, and shouldn't be playing GOD!

Takeya

Takeya

the enigma + extremeties thereof

nothing wrong with adult lines, no need to kill babies for marrow transplants because they're "fresher", let those who can give or agree to give do so, but dont kill/clone for it.

Basically reiterating what all the religious/christian opposition here has had to say so far.

In Russia is freedom of speech. In America is also freedom after speech. -- Yakov Smirnoff

Signature

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.