Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Path between highschool and universities - Minitokyo

Path between highschool and universities

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

There are many universities and colleges offering many different courses for degree, diploma and even A-level. It is said that choosing a career requires you to know your interests well so that you don't ended up changing to other courses midway. In the first place, how do I know my interests well and make use of them in future? I have heard that many people have changed or dislike what they are currently doing when they started working. Isn't the future seems vague and continuously changing? I like reading during free time and that doesn't mean I will ended up as author or reviewer.....at least I don't feel like it! What options are there outside and what need to be done to at least to set a goal of what I want to be?

happytail73

happytail73

TRUE BLOOD FUDANSHI!

First evaluate yourself...ask yourself what interests you the most. Knowing that will help you to at least choose a field of study in college. Imagine yourself 10 to fifteen years from now...how do you see yourself?...as a doctor, a lawyer or a writer maybe. You said that the future is really vague and continuously changing and that's the main reason why we should plan out and set out a goal for ourselves. In that way we won't be changing courses, major or even careers midway. I've heard of people who at first didn't like what they are doing but lucky and eventually they learn to love it in one way or another. But there are people who couldn't help it and decided to change or transfer courses for good.

I'm a Bio major before but during my third year under that program, I realized that I wasn't really cut for it or rather I'm not really into dissecting frogs and cockroaches (okay…jokes aside please). Actually I realized that you can’t do anything decent with Bio related courses if you won’t proceed to medicine. Since I’m allergic to hospitals and care facilities (I feel stressed whenever I enter one), I decided to drop it and take literature (my first love) instead. Currently I’m planning that after I graduate; I would take masters and be a classical literature teacher/professor. I believe that nothing really beats doing what you love because you get best of both worlds… you excel and at the same time you feel remarkably fulfilled.

Take time to decide, I mean I’m just saying my opinion here but the final decision is still in you. A lot of factors are still to be considered depending on how you take it. You’re not the only person that has the problem of choosing their future career options. What is important is that you set a specific goal for yourself because not having one will only make things worse.

But if you think that you are not cut for studying or your grades were not that high to enter a university, just drop the idea in your head to enter one. Find a job and just work hard since hard work with perseverance can sometimes bring luck. Good luck!

Live a little! Cry and Laugh a lot! And don't forget to always Love!

merged: 02-19-2014 ~ 06:47pm

Quote by happytail73First evaluate yourself...ask yourself what interests you the most. Knowing that will help you to at least choose a field of study in college. Imagine yourself 10 to fifteen years from now...how do you see yourself?...as a doctor, a lawyer or a writer maybe. You said that the future is really vague and continuously changing and that's the main reason why we should plan out and set out a goal for ourselves. In that way we won't be changing courses, major or even careers midway. I've heard of people who at first didn't like what they are doing but lucky and eventually they learn to love it in one way or another. But there are people who couldn't help it and decided to change or transfer courses for good.

I'm a Bio major before but during my third year under that program, I realized that I wasn't really cut for it or rather I'm not really into dissecting frogs and cockroaches (okay…jokes aside please). Actually I realized that you can’t do anything decent with Bio related courses if you won’t proceed to medicine. Since I’m allergic to hospitals and care facilities (I feel stressed whenever I enter one), I decided to drop it and take literature (my first love) instead. Currently I’m planning that after I graduate; I would take masters and be a classical literature teacher/professor. I believe that nothing really beats doing what you love because you get best of both worlds… you excel and at the same time you feel remarkably fulfilled.

Take time to decide, I mean I’m just saying my opinion here but the final decision is still in you. A lot of factors are still to be considered depending on how you take it. You’re not the only person that has the problem of choosing their future career options. What is important is that you set a specific goal for yourself because not having one will only make things worse.

But if you think that you are not cut for studying or your grades were not that high to enter a university, just drop the idea in your head to enter one. Find a job and just work hard since hard work with perseverance can sometimes bring luck. Good luck!

Wow, that's a major change from Biology to literature! At least, you get to make a comeback and fulfill your dreams......good applause for you! The problem is I just don't feel that I have any passion for anything that I have learnt in Pure Science, the only thing I know is that I love to spend my leisure time reading books. I can do quite well during exams if I really put my mind into it but when I did my final exams, I didn't really think about what I am going to do in future.

Now I am just looking at career options and the job prospects.....how can I include passion in this area when I don't feel that I have one?
I am really planning to enter university but worried of making the worst choice of my life. Any advice on my predicament?

Darthas

Retired Moderator

Darthas

レキシコン

1 week late - but this was discussed in another thread where another member was asking thereabouts the same question.

Simply put, if you have no passion then don't do it and look for something else - this world has a ton of jobs and each of them require different and/or many professions/experiences. Passion can't be 'included' - it's either there or it's not.

By the way, the worst choice in life is to get married with the wrong person then finding ways to divorce without losing all your wealth.

The only way to find out what choice to make is to assess yourself and find the answer on your own. Do your own research on what every job is a requirement of and figure out what your tolerances are. Telling yourself you're gonna make a wrong choice or otherwise demoralizing yourself is just setting yourself up for failure - the same way a soldier sets himself up for a military funeral by telling himself he's gonna get shot in a war zone.

Not very many people can help you here because it's seriously all up to you - much of the information anyone tells you can easily be found on the internet through information sites and community forums - sometimes talking to a professor isn't too bad either. Some people find their passions after working for a time, some think they've already known it yet they never really did after they reach that goal.

The only way to really know is to just go with what you feel is best and figure it out as it goes along. Excessive future planning is another reason why people always turn out confused at one point or another.

[20:54] Lexicon: I may be 3rd place in the popularity poll but at NASA, the # order is 3>2>1.
[20:56] DXBlair: its a placement poll..not a countdown idiot
[SIG design by Valuna]
Signature

Hmm, perhaps I am thinking too much of the disadvantages side, not the part which I could succeed. I have been asking around too and many people have different opinions especially in forums. Therefore, after months of researching, I finally could scale down to three categories which are dentistry, accountancy or engineering. Maybe I could learn to love the subjects once I am fully immersed into the courses. At least, for now I know which courses that I truly don't feel like pursuing.

Thank you for the people who have been helping me. I am truly grateful and hopefully I will get a place in a university :)

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Closed as per request.

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to School & Work | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.