Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Decided to go for a SSD drive. Help? - Minitokyo

Decided to go for a SSD drive. Help?

page 1 of 1 7 total items

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

As title says, I'm thinking to purchase a SSD, in order to make my OS faster It will be used mainly for system and a few important programs (PS), so I don't need anything luxurious, but either I don't want something outdated with slow speed and low capacity (32-64GB)

My requirements:
Budget <100€
Capacity 120-128gb
SATA III support
Low power consumption
No brands like Mtron or OCZ

My current candidate is the ADATA SX900 XPG 128gb. It comes with a 3,5" bracket, which is great, since I want to install in desktop and not a laptop. If somebody already has a SSD drive I would like to hear his/her opinion.

My current PC configuration is:

Motherboard: ASUS Z68 V-LX, socket 1155, USB 3.0 & SATA III support
CPU: Intel i3-2120 3,3 Ghz
RAM: 8gb/1333 Mhz Kingston 2x4 dual-channel
HDD: Western Digital Green 1 TB
GPU: ASUS nVidia GeForce 450gts 1GB
PSU: Corsair CX 430w 80+ Bronze

Since I write satires, my whole life is one huge inspiration. (Horatius)
Signature

All SSD have extremely low power consumption so there is no need to be concern on how much power it's going to draw from the power supply
Most SSD with SATA III support are extremely fast around 400Mb/s read and write, give or take, and some can be faster, but this all depends on the type of
SATA controller your running. In other words if the SSD doesn't meet the required specs, then it could just be the SATA controller itself and not the SSD has the problem or something.
The most popular SSD right now will be the Samsung 840 Evo.
If your running Win7 then disable schedule defrag because SSD don't need defrag.
Win8, then leave it on because Win8 can tell the difference between a SSD and HDD. If it's a SSD, then it will send the optimization (TRIM) command, instead of
doing a defragment.

I have 2 SSD both Intel 330 120gb. Got one for my laptop and the other for my desktop
On my desktop, I got the OS in the SSD and some very important programs on it, all the rest is on my HDD.
You can create a User Junction folder from the SSD to HDD, so when you save stuffs it goes automatically to HDD.

Signature

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

I think is better that I add my configuration to the initial post. Anyways, thanks for the reply, nothing more valuable as a personal experience!

Signature

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

SSD yeah .. hope you like to backup ....

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

akiranyo

akiranyo

Astraea Kisaragi

Quote by TaurecSSD yeah .. hope you like to backup ....

Are you trying to say that this technology is still new and less reliable? Some folks already told me that maybe it would be a better choicce to get a regular HDD, but of a enterprise grade with fast response, like for example the Western Digital Black Edition.

Signature

Quote by akiranyo

Quote by TaurecSSD yeah .. hope you like to backup ....

Are you trying to say that this technology is still new and less reliable? Some folks already told me that maybe it would be a better choicce to get a regular HDD, but of a enterprise grade with fast response, like for example the Western Digital Black Edition.

SSD has been out for some time and they have mature enough that if you get a reputable brand, then you won't have to worry about being less reliable.
From what I've read, so far Intel SSD has the lowest return rates, thus making them the most reliable SSD, but they're really expensive.
A Intel 480gb would cost around $600, while Samsung with a attractive $/GB can get you 500gb for $300ish.
At the lower capacity department, the price difference isn't too much between the two.
For Samsung SSD, unless your case can install 2.5" SSD, then look for the one with the desktop kit. If it doesn't have, then grab a 2.5" to 3.5" desktop kit for SSD. Intel include it, except OEM versions where is doesn't come with anything.
Upgrading from the WD green to a WD black will probably net you little to no increase in performance. Also the black is just a desktop drive, their enterprise ones are XE, RE, and SE models.
Grab the SSD and use the HDD you currently have as a data drive.

Signature

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

Hell I have two SSDs one is my bootdisk and one functions as read cache for my RAID1 HDD array .. but I make sure that if I turn off my PC a backup is made.
The problem with SSDs is that the time from 0 to CENSORED is zip nada zilch, meaning you virtually get no warning when they decide it's time to go to bit heaven.
So get one .. you will love the speed .. just make backups...

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.