Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Steampunk - Minitokyo

Which genre do you like best?

Cyberpunk
2 votes
Cyberprep
0 votes
Steampunk
3 votes
Mythpunk
1 votes
Biopunk
0 votes
I don't even know that exist!
0 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the late 1980's and early 1990's. Specifically, steampunk involves an era or world where steam power is still widely used, typically the Victorian Era and the Edwardian Era, that incorporates prominent elements of science fiction and fantasy.

I'm doing some research on this for a pretty huge personal project. I really love the visual eye candy and the appealing high fantasy elements of this genre, which would make the perfect setting for the thing that I'm working on. I haven't done a thorough research on the subject yet, I just started going through the internet to look for references today and I suddenly realized that I actually don't know a lot of steampunk anime. And despite the fact that I love steampunk, I realized I don't really 'know' much about it either.

So far I had watched very little steampunk movies and anime like Howl's Moving Castle and Steamboy. Fullmetal Alchemist is of this genre; an anime that I have not watched. There's quite a lot of really good steampunk art online like this, this and this but I feel like it's not really all that popular. Or maybe thats just me. Or maybe it's the lack of steampunk genre in mainstream media being the reason that it's not as popular as can be expected.

In literature, only Jules Verne comes to mind. I need to read some of his novels again to refresh my memory. I read Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea when I was like 12 or something. After doing a bit of digging, I found out the Golden Compass can be considered Steampunk as well. I had only watched the movie, but I don't remember steam technology as having a major part in the powering of the machinery in that world. But since they're historic, british and using alternative technology, it's considered sort of steampunk...I guess I'm not sure...I need to find this book.

From what I know, steampunk is a sort of historical fantasy, with lots of cool, quirky, eccentric gadgets, pretty trinkets with lot of gears (clockpunk is sub genre of steampunk) that are a feast to the eyes; it's a something that could had been in some alternate universe.I don't think there's any need for me to fully submerge myself in the culture to make my project since it's not focusing much on technological aspect. I can take a visual concept here, some fashion there, machinery and the architectures, et voila! But it would be great to know a bit more. So give your opinion on what is and what is not 'steampunk'. Do you even like it to begin with? What do you like about it? Do you even know of the existence of this genre and subculture before reading this post? Is it really not as popular as I imagined or am I deluding myself again?

Also please tell me if there's a steampunk inspired anime that you know about. Maybe a short fiction or any kind of literature. Or you can share a link/picture of any artwork, metalwork, accessories, designs, fashion relating to this topic :)

#likethat'sabadthinglol

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

Oh, I love Steam punk the most. Cyberpunk is fun as well. (chose the wrong one when voting... :/ vote should be for Steam punk and not Cyberpunk)

Haven't heard of Cyberprep, Mythpunk, or Biopunk.

Metropolis is one of my favorite Steam punk anime movies. Have yet to watch Howl's Moving Castle, though it is on the list of things to do. ^_^

Not sure how it fits category wise, but the Dimension W manga has a 'punk' feel to it (at least for the main character). The main character, Kyoma, drives older cars fueled by gasoline. The era in which he lives has a Tesla type electric power setup and gasoline, batteries, and steam are things of the past.

One Piece feels like Steam Punk at times. Particularly, Sabo's outfit had a steam punk design (or similar). Also, the Sea Train that goes between Water 7, Enies Lobby, St. Poplar, Pucci, and San Faldo, makes me think of steam punk as well. Whitey Bay's ice breaker is a large paddle boat that reminds me of Steam Boats from older eras.

Edit:
Just had to share this R2 steampunk from another forum: http://9gag.com/gag/adN27WM?ref=android.s
\m/

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

Quote by Cirru
Just had to share this R2 steampunk from another forum: http://9gag.com/gag/adN27WM?ref=android.s
\m/

OMG! That's so cute and awesome!

I forgot about Metropolis! That was a really good movie. Sad but really good. You should definitely watch Howl's. I feel like watching all these movies again -w- Does Castle in the Sky counts as steampunk?

#likethat'sabadthinglol

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

I have yet to watch Castle in the Sky. A lot of people have said that Disney ruined it by taking out the sound effects for certain things, so I've been hesitant to watch it. :/

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

really? O.o
I watched it years ago so I'm not sure if anything had changed

#likethat'sabadthinglol

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

Ah...the famed Steampunk setting. It truly is great. Unlike so many other settings, this one in particular is a little bit more special than any other. Just because it is entirely open to historical, futuristic and fantasy all at once. It brings life to magic (yes, magic usually tends to get along with machines...and guess what!) Even post-apocalyptic settings, have a lot of steampunk in it. It's pretty weird and pretty amazing at the same time. I'm not sure what my favourite type is. I just like the genre alltogether. It's interesting and makes my spidey senses tingle with it's mysteries. I'm so dead to think of any series with it. I just know there is many. Not to forget the countless of great games with the steampunk setting, in which you can truly see it's beauty.

@ Cirru: One Piece actually is steampunk when you think about it. It's only a setting in the world and...it's not given a lot of importance so far in the series. Just...look at pantsu-man a la Franky. The series just has a certain type of high-technology that even we, are unable to use yet. Perhaps if the series gets more into the Vegapunk thingy, it might become clearer

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.