Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Are you a single child or do you have siblings? - Minitokyo

Are you a single child or do you have siblings?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 34 total items

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

As a single child, I've always wondered what it would be like to have a sibling. Would we fight like in the movies, or get along great? Would we share a special bond or not really care about each other? But, alas, no matter how much I squinted at my parents and waited patiently, I remain an only child to this day.

So how about you guys? Any stories to share, siblings to complain / brag about? What is / was the best part about growing up with(out) siblings?

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

We fight a lot when we were children. As we got older there's no one who understand me better than my sisters. We still fight but only sometime. They're my best friend.

#likethat'sabadthinglol

Personally i have a big brother :) he's only one year older than me. we share a lot together the best and the bad times...without saying anything he understands me and i understand him. we are best friends, we have alot in common but he is so far calm, better ,wiser,smarter than me. we are like twins more than that
he is like a soul mate .

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

In my opinion you're not missing out. On anything.

I use to be close to my sister as children, but as we got older we became far more cold and distant. I was somewhat of an unpleasant kid to be around at times, and apparently as a result of this my sister ended up turning into a giant asshole to be around during most of our high school years. Ironically, around junior high and up, is when I greatly shifted in terms of my behavior. So it was like we had switched places.

We talk occasionally, but there's no bond or any form of relationship there. So, in all sincerity, it's basically as if it doesn't exist. I don't care about it and I don't think she necessarily does either, it's just how things are.

Signature Image

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

@ Redwyn: isn't fighting a sign of liking someone, in this type of situation? I mean, you'd probably blow each other off or ignore each other if you truly didn't care. Did you start getting along gradually or did it just happen?

@ Myri: I think this is what I'd want if I had a sibling, but both of us would probably be too hot-headed and argue all the time XD Good for you to have such a close friend!

@ Cy: true, being family doesn't automatically imply having a close relationship - even though you're "supposed" to care for that family member because, hey, "they're family". At least this is the line I hear all the time around here. But it looks like you two have a mutual agreement to stay out of each other's hair, so you can kinda say it worked out for you, eh?

Quote by pandemonium91@ Myri: I think this is what I'd want if I had a sibling, but both of us would probably be too hot-headed and argue all the time XD Good for you to have such a close friend!

i think the circumstances definates human relationship as for me and my bro i think that we had at the beginning some things in common but we don't have really the same personality wich can be contrasting sometimes ... as time goes on we have both learned self-crticism through countless quarrels and also learned that we are finally both in the "same boat" 'cause the people surrounding us are way more contrasting and hostile that we can be to each other and gradually start to understand and appriciate each other and we have sometimes pratically the sames tastes 'cause we tend to be subjected to similar experiences in life .......and we are now so close that there is i think some subliminal influence on each other lol ....people tend to say that we have the same personality or attitude^^

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Well, yes, you both influence each other during your time living together - it's only natural to either "form an alliance" with the other person (like you two did) or reject them (like Cy mentioned a bit earlier). It depends on the individual, since your life experiences and environment are (maybe drastically) different. Good to know it worked out well for you and your brother, you two sound like an "us against the world" team :)

Since you mentioned you only had a few things in common at first, what do you feel when people say you act like your brother now (and likewise for him, when he's compared to you)? Is it a compliment that you're so similar or do you want people to see you guys separately?

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

I have a big brother (3 years elder than me) well we look same by face but he is very slim and I'm a little healthy (fatty) because he loves sports and I barely play any sports (since I like to watch, draw anime so I like to stay at home) but other than our face there is nothing we have common at all we are totally different in personality.
We fight a lot since childhood but also cares for each other too
Our relationship is just like Sakura and Touya of Cardcaptor Sakura
I also like to tease him and he also like to tease me.
So it is a bitter-sweet chemistry of ours and I'm happy with it but sometimes we fight seriously too and again next day talk normally.

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

SnickerdoodleNinja

Retired Moderator

SnickerdoodleNinja

Snicker-Logical

Unfortunately I know many people who do not have good relationships with their siblings, but I'm very happy with my three older siblings. I honestly think it might have a little bit to do with the age difference. I'm not sure why, but a lot of people I know who are close in age to their siblings seem to run into more competition/tension. My siblings are a lot older and we get along really well.

My sister and I used to fight A LOT, but around the time that I turned 10 (when she was 18) we worked things out and we've been very close ever since.

Admittedly I used to be much closer to one of my brothers than I am now, but that can't really be helped since he got married and has new responsibilities. I like to think that I gained a sister-in-law rather than lost a brother, though.

My oldest brother worked a lot when I was a kid, but he was that awesome kind of brother that would sometimes take me with him when he catered and even let me have part of the tips, or randomly do nice things for me that he certainly had no obligation to do. I've actually gotten a bit closer to him since he got married and I LOVE being an aunt.

We've always had an interesting dynamic in that we had at least some overlapping interests and life philosophies, even though our personalities are all very different. One of us is super outgoing and sweet and can talk your ear off. One of us is a bit more cynical(?) but still passionate, artistic, and outgoing. Another is calm and reserved and witty. And there's me, whatever I am. :)

TLDR; I wouldn't give up my siblings for the world.

Signature Image

There's a skinny girl who lives inside of me that's trying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
"Dance like no one's watching. Sing like no one's listening. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt before. Live like there's no tomorrow."

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

Quote by pandemonium91@ Redwyn: isn't fighting a sign of liking someone, in this type of situation? I mean, you'd probably blow each other off or ignore each other if you truly didn't care. Did you start getting along gradually or did it just happen?

lol it's actually more like fighting over the little things like "I don't like that show", "stop changing the channel", "it's your turn to do the dishes", "go throw the trash" and etc. It used to get very physical back in the day with the biting, kicking and slapping; now we usually just slam the door and sulk the whole day, so I guess this is a good improvement.

We started developing mutual interest in a lot of things, started hanging out more and we also started having heart to heart talks about our personal issues or rather we were ranting and gossiping. It wasn't until the third year of high school, that I started aknowledging that they are not just this near constant present in my life that I have to put up with until I graduate and move out of the house, my sisters are my best friend. It's really odd to think that we can't stand each other before and now I can't imagine a world without them.

#likethat'sabadthinglol

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Quote by pandemonium91@ Cy: true, being family doesn't automatically imply having a close relationship - even though you're "supposed" to care for that family member because, hey, "they're family". At least this is the line I hear all the time around here. But it looks like you two have a mutual agreement to stay out of each other's hair, so you can kinda say it worked out for you, eh?

I wish I could say as such, and while it probably is the case it still is rather heart-breaking.

Most siblings, as they grow older, become far closer. For myself and my sister, it's more of a passive-agreement. Of which is generally broken when we're around each other for more than a few days. Things just strike me as so fragmented that it seems regardless of approach it's just how things are. In all sincerity, it becomes more frustrating, stressful and awkward than anything else. Mainly because I don't really know how to act around her, nor what exactly will set her off. While she's got a good reason for her behavior (a lot of it is health related, due to Crone's) it still becomes difficult to plan around and I have little to no tolerance.

To be completely honest, I'm actually envious of a friend of mine. He's a single child, and a lot of the time I wish I would of been.

Signature Image

Quote by pandemonium91Well, yes, you both influence each other during your time living together - it's only natural to either "form an alliance" with the

other person (like you two did) or reject them (like Cy mentioned a bit earlier). It depends on the individual, since your life experiences and environment

are (maybe drastically) different. Good to know it worked out well for you and your brother, you two sound like an "us against the world" team :)

Since you mentioned you only had a few things in common at first, what do you feel when people say you act like your brother now (and likewise for him, when

he's compared to you)? Is it a compliment that you're so similar or do you want people to see you guys separately?

well pande despite the fact that sometimes we don't have the same sensitivity or opinions we have a sort of mutual admiration for each other

qualities/advantages i envy him for certains things and vice versa...... but we nonetheless have a lot in common.

and when people compare us to each other well honestly sometimes i feel complexed, but i love my bro so much that my envy transforms into admiration....

i asked my brother about what he feels in that situation well he tolds me that he didn't feel anything special but pride.....

he also said to me that he appriciate me so much that he's doesnt give a damn about what people might think and it is true that our relationship can annoy

certain people or simply just intrigues them.

we can't imagine ourselves living without each other cause we feel great when we are together and we don't have a serious problem of ego you know ...the kind

of thing like (who's the best? why him/her not me?...etc) cause we really dont care about anything lol

as for the "us against the world team"....^^ well maybe we feel a sort of discomfort when we are in society... umm..you know in the country where we live it

is very hard to be accepted when you are too "westernized" or having too much interest in other cultures like the asian ones....so we rely on each other to

survive lol

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

@ Snicker: ha, that's awesome that every one of you has their defined personality, that mixes things up a bit without anyone feeling like the other(s) stole "their" role. Everything you told me about your siblings made me kinda jealous XD I would have loved to have a sibling to fight and do stupid things with.

Quote by RedwynIt wasn't until the third year of high school, that I started aknowledging that they are not just this near constant present in my life that I have to put up with until I graduate and move out of the house, my sisters are my best friend. It's really odd to think that we can't stand each other before and now I can't imagine a world without them.

That's a very useful perspective to have. I've seen that the older and more mature people get, the easier it generally is for them to get over smaller things. Or at least it is for the smarter ones. No one that holds grudges over small things for extended periods of time is smart in my book. Sulking for a day doesn't count, since it's a short time XP

My best friend and her brother (he's 5 years younger) used to fight all the time when they lived in the same house. Now that she lives in a dorm in another city, she just about hugs him to death every time she has the time to go home :P

Did your parents ever try to get between you and stop you from fighting physically? Oftentimes I see parents jump and stop their kids, even when said kids would just slap each other for a bit, sulk and then make up while not even knowing it. Siblings are bound to fight at one point or another (unless they get along exceptionally well) , it's a natural part of the sibling relationship IMO.

@ Cy: well, bearing in mind what you've said and still not knowing everything that's happened between you two (of course), I'd say none is at fault (and trying to blame this on someone would result in nothing useful). It's probably for the best you two keep your distance from each other in general, since it's obvious none of you wants to fight with the other. You each do your own thing and everyone's happy...well, as happy as you can possibly be, considering everything.

Being a single child definitely has its perks, and I can't deny them in the light of all you've said, but hey - everyone's got to deal with what they've been given, eh? Some single kids feel miserable and want a sibling, while others feel that it's the greatest thing ever; on the flip side, some (sometimes) wish they were single kids (like you), and others are thankful for having siblings (other people who replied).
Tl;dr: it's no one's fault, you gotta deal with it the best way you know. And you can envy me all you want, 'cause I sure don't have anyone else to blame when I accidentally break stuff.

@ Myri: aw, that's sweet :) By "us against the world" I meant that you two act together and rely on each other to overcome difficulties, and don't take to heart what outsiders say. It's great that you two get along so well, it sounds like you never argue (or make up fast, if you do)!

Dayum, all the manly moustaches in this thread are making me feel seriously unprepared *takes notes for future icons*

Quote by pandemonium91@ Myri: aw, that's sweet :) By "us against the world" I meant that you two act together and rely on each other to overcome difficulties, and don't take to heart what outsiders say. It's great that you two get along so well, it sounds like you never argue (or make up fast, if you do)!

Pande you're now MiniTokyo social aid consultant lol thanks for the advice :3

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

@pande sometime but nah we know not to physically maul each when the parents are in the room. The physical mauling from them would had been worst.

#likethat'sabadthinglol

joey101

joey101

MarkieMoo

Sibs are annoyin they would want to get in ur stuff want to know what ur doin or where ur goin and they would want to know if they could come with but as you watch them grow up you will know it waz all worth it......even tho till this day thry get on my nerves

You do you, I`ll do me, And we wont do each other
Probably.........

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

I have 2 =w=
Its kinda fun since they're like pups xD (I'm the oldah sistah) we get along quite well, there are always times when we yell like maniacs, but it always end in a videogame talk most of the time, so its good... o.O

Signature Image
This day we fight!

joey101

joey101

MarkieMoo

Im the older sis too but i have four sibs and we re each two years apart....half the time we get along..half the time we dont

You do you, I`ll do me, And we wont do each other
Probably.........

I have 7 siblings in all: it's a big family. I'm the 3rd eldest so I had a lot of responsibility growing up. I only have 2 teenaged siblings now but I never really see them as baby brother or sister, they seem part mine. My other sisters though..... whew! It used to be one fight after the next. Fight about clothes and chores and the TV remote. It was nuts!

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Oh wow, I can certainly see both advantages and downsides to living in such a large family! Do you get along better with your sisters now that you're all older?

Blue-Crescent

Blue-Crescent

The Wandering Moonchild.

Hi everyone. I am Blue. Well, I am the only child of the family. It's me and mom who's always together.I am fatherless because he died when I was still 2 years old.
Well, I find it lonely to have no siblings.Life must have been a little happier if I only have.Though, my mom always gives me my necessities and luxuries.That's an advantage, I guess but then I always want a sibling.

" A mind full of bitter memories , a past drenched in sadness and watered with my tears,
A heart nurtured by the littlest spark of hope, a present fed by the wildest dreams,
A body scarred by the savage adversities, a future that holds the greatest uncertainties,
These are the deepest parts of my blue soul, armored and shielded by an indestructible fortress. " Signature

BushidoGaara

BushidoGaara

Your eyes see nothing...

Man, I wish was the only child, but I have two sisters. We would fight about many things in the past, but they are still a bit annoying today.

Knowing it is an ideal never to be reached...strive toward it again today. As a matter of course. - Kaname Tosen (Bleach)

Blue-Crescent

Blue-Crescent

The Wandering Moonchild.

@dad3i : If only it's easy to exchange our lives. I'd love to have siblings even they can be annoying sometimes. I'll just let them annoy me until they get tired. Eventually they'll stop. ^^

" A mind full of bitter memories , a past drenched in sadness and watered with my tears,
A heart nurtured by the littlest spark of hope, a present fed by the wildest dreams,
A body scarred by the savage adversities, a future that holds the greatest uncertainties,
These are the deepest parts of my blue soul, armored and shielded by an indestructible fortress. " Signature

BushidoGaara

BushidoGaara

Your eyes see nothing...

@Blue-Crescent: I like to be alone away from my sisters, putting on ear phones listening to music because they can be obnoxiously loud at times.

Knowing it is an ideal never to be reached...strive toward it again today. As a matter of course. - Kaname Tosen (Bleach)

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 34 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.