Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Does music make you feel emotional? - Minitokyo

Does music make you feel emotional?

Has music ever made you feel depressed?

Of course!
7 votes
It takes a really special/specific song to do so.
8 votes
I haven't really given it any thought.
2 votes
Nope, I don't think it has!
0 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 20 total items

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

"Fate, up against your will."

Living with family & talking with friends has made me realize that music can either make you happy, sad, or a bunch of other emotions. But for me, I've noticed that music has only made me happy. I've never really had a song make me feel sad. The lyrics/sound can be overwhelmingly depressing for some people, but even with super!angsty music, all music does is make me feel very happy - some songs more then others. So I've always found it weird when someone tell me, "Why are you playing that? It's so depressing!"

But I've also seen that music can trigger people, and make them remember a certain time in their lives (when the song was playing, or the year when it was on the radio all of the time). This never happens to me either; the worst time of my life, one of the songs I strongly recall was this Rurouni Kenshin song. However, whenever I listen to it now; all I feel is happy & intensely nostalgic.

My question to you: does music & its lyrics/style have the ability to make you feel very sad/emotional? If so, has music ever been a trigger to a very happy or depressing time in your life?

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Yes! Songs, it's lyrics and sometimes even voice of the singer gave me different emotions like there are plenty of songs that makes me feel excited and full of energy! and some of them makes me feel sad and there's certain part of lyrics of a song that makes me cry (I don't even know why i cry when i listen those lines)

Also voice of a singer can gave different feelings of same song like voice of Maiko Fujita is always sad and heart warming.....

And also I've seen my Grandparents when they listen the songs of their youth they recall their past days when they were young and do romance and such.

The Song that makes me HAPPY is Arigatou from Cardcaptor Sakura : Sealed Card
and the Song that makes me cry is Akane Sora ni negau and here's the line of lyrics that makes me cry

In the red sunset sky,
the birds fly over the mountains to return home.
Ah, I, too, no matter when,
shall always be your place of return...

and there are many songs that gives me different feelings!

Anyway, what does mad mean exactly? Aren't we all a little mad?
Don't we have to be somewhat mad just to go on living, to go on hoping?
Signature Image

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

Let me list out some song that made me cry
-The Story of Evil (all of it in one sitting. Still turn me into a mess of sobbing wreak)
-All of Me by John Legend
-I dreamed a dream by Anne Hathaway (this is a complete surprise for me. Never thought Anne Hathaway of all people would make me cry)

So yes music can totally make you feel things. In fact, I listen to music when I want to feel. There's an actual science behind it but I not really much of a science person. It got something to do with wavelength or something *shrug*

#likethat'sabadthinglol

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

I'm right now listening a sad romantic song but just by listening it I can feel the love of the person who is singing and the pain she's suffering from the love that she even thought Even though I want to stop but I've fallen so much in love with you that I could even break
btw the name of this song is "Suki ni naaru to doushite" (Why is it that when I fall in love with you)

Signature Image

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

Awwwww you're such a sap monu-chan~<3
Normally I listen to songs that matches my mood. I have different set of playlist for morning, night and for work. I start with a mellow sound in the morning before going to more fast paced ones. For night playlist, the songs have a soothing raspy sound. Work playlist have really fast paced song, like A cappella by Karmin.

#likethat'sabadthinglol

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

I also have different songs for different mood like when I'm making a vector or a sketch then I use to listen Full of energy and Happy songs that makes my work and body fast! and as for night i use to listen either sad or romantic songs so my all stress will be gone away within few minutes!
But I love to listen Romantic songs a lot and usually "First love" type songs ^0^

Signature Image

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Quote by Monu-chanYes! Songs, it's lyrics and sometimes even voice of the singer gave me different emotions like there are plenty of songs that makes me feel excited and full of energy! and some of them makes me feel sad and there's certain part of lyrics of a song that makes me cry (I don't even know why i cry when i listen those lines)

Also voice of a singer can gave different feelings of same song like voice of Maiko Fujita is always sad and heart warming.....

And also I've seen my Grandparents when they listen the songs of their youth they recall their past days when they were young and do romance and such.

The Song that makes me HAPPY is Arigatou from Cardcaptor Sakura : Sealed Card
and the Song that makes me cry is Akane Sora ni negau and here's the line of lyrics that makes me cry

In the red sunset sky,
the birds fly over the mountains to return home.
Ah, I, too, no matter when,
shall always be your place of return...

and there are many songs that gives me different feelings!

I listened to Akane Sora ni Negau; very beautiful; I like that style of music a lot! And you've reminded me that I need to get crackin' and start watching Cardcaptor Sakura. I had some Xbox friends lose it when I told them I hadn't seen it. ;___;

Those are really beautiful lyrics; maybe you'll like this song: If by Bread - if you haven't heard it. It's in English, but the lyrics are gorgeously well-written. If I ever get married which I really can't picture, honestly, I'd want this to play at some point. Legit.

Quote by RedwynLet me list out some song that made me cry
-The Story of Evil (all of it in one sitting. Still turn me into a mess of sobbing wreak)
-All of Me by John Legend
-I dreamed a dream by Anne Hathaway (this is a complete surprise for me. Never thought Anne Hathaway of all people would make me cry)

So yes music can totally make you feel things. In fact, I listen to music when I want to feel. There's an actual science behind it but I not really much of a science person. It got something to do with wavelength or something *shrug*

Just listened to both All of Me (which amazingly, I hadn't yet!) & Anne's version of I Dreamed a Dream; very good songs. I like the lyrics to All of Me; they're written very well. My favorite part is,

Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections

Doesn't make me at all sad though. I really tried, lol. For me, I can appreciate the singing, the style, the instruments, but nothing emotional.

“I didn’t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.” —Mark Twain
“There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure.” —Jack E. Leonard
Good Links: Tagging Guide || FAQ || Policy || "No Pixiv Allowed" || "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son..."

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

Nah man, that was just a song until I learned the story behind it and I truly felt the sincerity.
Add All of the Star by Ed Sheeran to that list!

#likethat'sabadthinglol

SolemnSerpent

SolemnSerpent

Quote by RedwynAwwwww you're such a sap monu-chan~<3
Normally I listen to songs that matches my mood. I have different set of playlist for morning, night and for work. I start with a mellow sound in the morning before going to more fast paced ones. For night playlist, the songs have a soothing raspy sound. Work playlist have really fast paced song, like A cappella by Karmin.

I would like the song Acappella (which is how they spelled it... for some strange reason), but the song doesn't know what an a cappella is or how to spell it. It's not a synonym for solo, or alone; so my inner English class nerd was just like, "ASDFGHJKL;WHAT IS THIS?"

Also; not even kidding- I can wake up to either a crazy insane, out of this world track, or a soft song like 'If You're Not the One' by Daniel Bedingfield. Time of day doesn't count for me. My ears have no preference for the time of day, lol. "Alright, it's nighttime and everyone is quiet and asleep. Want some cray-cray dubstep? LET'S DO IT!"

Quote by RedwynNah man, that was just a song until I learned the story behind it and I truly felt the sincerity.
Add All of the Star by Ed Sheeran to that list!

You guys are giving me so many new songs to listen to.

http://media.tumblr.com/4684d864d07878ee941a88dfddf3cecc/tumblr_inline_mgceg6A3bZ1rxqpqb.gif

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Quote by SolemnSerpent
I listened to Akane Sora ni Negau; very beautiful; I like that style of music a lot! And you've reminded me that I need to get crackin' and start watching Cardcaptor Sakura. I had some Xbox friends lose it when I told them I hadn't seen it. ;___;

Those are really beautiful lyrics; maybe you'll like this song: If by Bread - if you haven't heard it. It's in English, but the lyrics are gorgeously well-written. If I ever get married which I really can't picture, honestly, I'd want this to play at some point. Legit.

There's something I like in that song that also makes my heart feel calm and soothe my soul ^^
CCS is legendary anime for me ^0^

I'll try to listen the song you linked here!

and all other songs that deeply touches my heart on my Userpage ^0^ namely Nee by Maiko Fujita, Kimi ga kureta mono by Shizuka Kudo, Euterpe by EGOIST and Kimi no Kiouko by Mao and Sotsugyou by Maiko Fujita

And when I will marry I want my favorite song Ijiwaru na Koi to play there because it'll make my mood more romantic and also I want to kiss my "future" life partner more CX

Signature Image

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

aaah songs -le sigh-
I usually don't get sad with songs, but when I listen this or this duuuuuuude ; ; I just can't, tho the last one is a mix of happy/sad, dunno why ; ; thing is that it bring tears to my eyes, same thing happens when I hear this at 9:09 exactly.. tho this is more nostalgic epicness I guess, not sad at all.

Signature Image
This day we fight!

Blue-Latte

Blue-Latte

Curious Dreamer

Yes, I’m a sensitive girl. Well actually, not that sensitive, but some songs draw the tears
Music sometimes makes me feel better or... worse ^^, When I hear to happy songs, I usually feel happy.

Anyway, here are some songs that make feel me sad somehow.
-This song (Passenger - Let Her Go), is so beautiful and telling people that "you wont know how good something was until too late." :')
-I always remember sad scenes in Titanic movie when I listen to this song (My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion) and it makes me sad every time I hear it.
-Most of Westlife's songs, they always have beautiful meaning. <3

Signature

josephine12cute

josephine12cute

hot and fresh out the kitchen

Music affects my mood so much. Even to the point if affects my working habits. That's why I always listen to dance songs when I'm at school or when doing my homework because they make me relax/energetic. Then if I hear acoustic or piano covers of them, I'd be in a calm mood or maybe even a bit sad (depending on how it goes).

Here's a good take in what I'm saying. Slam Dunk's first opening in its original form and the piano cover. The song is romantic in nature but the original's mood is energetic while the piano seems a bit nostalgic.

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Well, here it's a song that makes me sad because it is somehow tell us about the mean human race
Euterpe by EGOIST

Signature Image

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Crap. Well, to answer the poll question, I used to not be able to fully listen to My Heart Will Go On to the end. Damn that sad wailing instrument in the background ;____; (flute?)
Regardless of its "ominous" reputation, "Gloomy Sunday" (particularly Sarah Brightman's version) is beautiful and very relaxing to listen to.
"The Angry River", from the True Detective soundtrack, IS ominous however. Makes me feel slightly uneasy, but I still love it. Dose choral parts.

Kygo's remix to "I See Fire" calms me down instantly. It's just so perfect; the original song is too drawn out and boring, IMO, but I could listen to the remix for hours on end.
Pink Floyd's "Time" has great lyrics that get me thinking every time I listen to it. The second half of the second stanza comes like a punch to the gut and it only gets stronger.
David Jordan's "Sun Goes Down" is just so full of life that it makes me instantly happy. Same goes for Robbie Williams's "Candy" (the comments are hilarious).

As far as metal goes, "Burn In Hell" by Dimmu Borgir is smashing (ICS Vortex's vocals are dope) and Kamelot's "March of Mephisto" with Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir makes me wanna gather some troops and march around menacingly. The latter is also based on Goethe's Faust :)

A recent obsession is Jason Derulo and Snoop Dogg's "Wiggle". What, I had to include something dumb after all that music snobbing up there. It's just so stupid. It's also an in-joke between me and my best friend to just shout "Whatchu gonna do with that big fat BUTT" "Wiggle wiggle wiggle" randomly. I think the "butt" part is what gets us.

Guess I ain't helping with the "no music dump" part, lol. Also, ain't nothin' wrong with 2 AM dubstep.
If you guys want, check out Listen to This on Reddit. It's dedicated to lesser-known artists and you can search by genre :D

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Monu-chan

Retired Moderator

Monu-chan

Here I have another song, Koi ni Ochite by Maiko Fujita that makes me emotional but not sad.
This lyrics touches my heart

Spoiler (show)

Falling in love happens in a moment
The more I know about you, the more I like you

From the day we met, there was something
that seems to be a changing in a mysterious way

I did not know the reason of it but
after spending time with you, I now know

If I hold your hand, you will hold mine back
If I touch you, you’ll embrace me gently
I’m fine with that, with just that

We won’t be seeing each other again for sometime
I know we’ll meet soon but I don’t want to leave you

Even by just remembering you, my chest tightens
that even if you are far way, you are giving me happiness

Whether your smiling face in front of me is real or a lie,
It is everything to me and that is the truth
I did not know before I met you

I squat alone, your words, your gestures
even the times I am simply remembering thos
anyhthing and everything is just dear and precious

Falling in love happens in a moment
The more I know about you, the more I like you

If I hold your hand, you will hold mine back
If I touch you, you’ll embrace me gently
I’m fine with that, with just that

I am contented with that....

Signature Image

fitarol15

fitarol15

*Karin-Koenig <3

If It Was A Very Good Song..Maybe
My answer in the poll is the second

merged: 09-06-2014 ~ 08:08pm
If It Was A Very Good Song..Maybe
My answer in the poll is the second

"Ducunt Volentem Fata Nolentem Trahunt = Fate leads the willing soul, but drags along the unwilling one"
Signature

Steffi1690

Moderator, Scanner

Steffi1690

~Living in my Dreamworld~

Yes! Especially on the Fairy Tail Anime!

adventteenager

adventteenager

A View From Eternity's Glance

Many might diagree but there are song that really do impact you. My example is Sinner by Supercell. That song gets me, only because I've felt that same way at one point. So all in all, yeah it can make you feel emotional

At the dawn's approach, the darkness retreats as the warming light awakens the aging earth.Signature Image

there's a lot of emotional stuff in saint seiya
example:

Saint Seiya - Sad Brothers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTLkU417bf4

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.