Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Sailor Moon: Classic Senshi or Crystal Senshi? - Minitokyo

Sailor Moon: Classic Senshi or Crystal Senshi?

Tagged under Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon

page 1 of 1 12 total items

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

I've been following the new version of Sailor Moon. So far, I'm pleasantly surprised by how they've handled the characters. As someone who hasn't read the manga, I rely only on the way the show handled them.

Thank god they toned down Usagi's stupidity. Her voice is still pretty much glass-shattering squeaky, but it's manageable.

Ami/Sailor Mercury is pretty bland, like her Classic version. What I did like was the fact that her attacks can actually deal damage now (as seen in her battle with Zoisite in episode 6) as opposed to just...making it slightly more difficult for the villain to see everyone, lol.

I like that they didn't make Rei/Sailor Mars as boy-crazy as her Classic version. Curious to see why she hates/distrusts men so much, though.

Mamoru/Tuxedo Kamen is...there. He feels like another character in the background to me. Even Naru has more personality than him.

Makoto/Sailor Jupiter is probably my favorite so far. I love her deep voice and she looks cute when she blushes <3

Still waiting for Minako/Sailor Venus, but the old version was...OK, I guess. Don't remember much of her.

So, which version of the character(s) do you think is better? :o

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

Blue-Crescent

Blue-Crescent

The Wandering Moonchild.

I am forever and will eternally devote my love for Sailor Jupiter! She's great and, Oh man!, she's so look cool and strong. I guess I am loving both of the classic and the new version. They both have edges against another. I love the classic because I it's the one that's really a part of my childhood. And the new version is irresistible too. The art is indeed fascinating.

Salutes Pandemonium for a wonderful forum! ^^

" A mind full of bitter memories , a past drenched in sadness and watered with my tears,
A heart nurtured by the littlest spark of hope, a present fed by the wildest dreams,
A body scarred by the savage adversities, a future that holds the greatest uncertainties,
These are the deepest parts of my blue soul, armored and shielded by an indestructible fortress. " Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by Blue-CrescentI am forever and will eternally devote my love for Sailor Jupiter! She's great and, Oh man!, she's so look cool and strong.

I really like the Crystal version of Sailor Jupiter! I don't know, she seems more interesting? Like she appears calm and stoic but gets all giddy whenever Usagi
compliments her cooking or her girliness XD And she's great at housework (making bentos, sewing) and quite responsible since she has to live alone (I forget why, though).
I could see her as a good role model overall, maybe except for her thinking so often about the senpai who broke her heart (but she's a teen girl after all).

Read on TVTropes (I think) today that the creator of Sailor Moon Crystal wanted to appeal to the fans of the classic version, but not in a way that relies on their nostalgia i.e. they shouldn't be watching SM just because it's a part of their childhood, but because it genuinely holds their interest. I thought it was a neat way to put it.

Quote by Blue-CrescentSalutes Pandemonium for a wonderful forum! ^^

Thank you <3

Angi

Retired Moderator

Angi

But it is not this day!

Can't agree more with both of you about Sailor Jupiter :P she's my fave so far, I remember that I didn't liked her that much in the classic one since I always saw her as a brute >.>. Also waiting for Sailor Venus, remember that I liked her only because she had her own cat xD. Sailor mercury is the same x.x in both. Sailor Mars, hmm guess I like both, she was one of my faves back then because she got the fire element, like her now because her look is more elegant and have a more peaceful vibe (she's a miko so it suits her). Sailor moon isn't that stupid yeah! but still she's too dumb xD. And Tuxedoll is still a doll, he's always too meh -w-.
Overall I like everyone's hair in crystal xD and still like more the transformations of the classic.
I'm waiting to see the outer planets, those are my faves :3.

Signature Image
This day we fight!

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Outer senshis were also my favorite ones, especially Uranus and Pluto so I'm looking forward to seeing them, too. I watched a few eps of the new version and so far, I am still trying to get used to the change in art (longer faces and all) but I agree that some aspects of their personalities were improved (Usagi NOT being as headdesk/facepalm worthy as in the classic version). So far, yeah, Mars and Jupiter are my favorites but then again, they always have been from the Inner senshis. Will have to watch a bit more to see if I still prefer the classics or this new one better.

And no matter what the dude says, it still feels nostalgic, lol. xD

Signature

Blue-Crescent

Blue-Crescent

The Wandering Moonchild.

@Pandemonium: Yaay! That's really nice to hear from you Pande-chan! ^^ Your words are full of intelligence and sense. I guess, if not mistaken, Jupiter is living alone due to the fact that both her mom and dad died on a plane crash. It's really a sad story. T.T Thank you again. I'll try to read it and my warmest welcome too. ^^ Take care.

@Xangel0: Oh, that really nice you like Jupiter too. And Ami's personality is as dry as ever but at least her attacks are more offensive now than the classic. Oh, and Mars is indeed a beauty. That's also a part I can't understand about the classic. Rei is depicted as a miko so somehow she should be a little more patient but she's hot-headed on the classic one. Truly, the kinder personality she has now in the Crystal suits her very well. ^^ Take care.

@Alenas: I hope you will love it Alenas. Hearing a few comments, it is said that Crystal will have 26 episodes and as fans have observed each episodes in Crystal corresponds to a single chapter in the manga. The manga is 12 chapters, I guess, so there will really be a chance that you will seeing Pluto along the series. Though it's still not yet confirmed. But I do hope will enjoy it very much Alenas. Take care.

" A mind full of bitter memories , a past drenched in sadness and watered with my tears,
A heart nurtured by the littlest spark of hope, a present fed by the wildest dreams,
A body scarred by the savage adversities, a future that holds the greatest uncertainties,
These are the deepest parts of my blue soul, armored and shielded by an indestructible fortress. " Signature

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by xangel0Also waiting for Sailor Venus, remember that I liked her only because she had her own cat xD
[...]And Tuxedoll is still a doll, he's always too meh -w-.

I can definitely get behind that reason now, lol. As a kid, I was torn between being annoyed at Luna's seriousness and being annoyed at Usagi's spoiled and childish attitude. Though I do empathize with her to some degree: it can't be that easy to switch from a life where your only care is hiding that low score from your mom, to one where you literally have to dedicate your life to battling monsters and saving the world x.X All in one day, too!
Lmao, well put about Tuxedo Mask XD It was silly to only have him and Motoki as eye-candy, though, the playground fights over Mamoru would get ridiculous (because who wants the boring Motoki anyway).
Have never gotten to the part in the classic anime where the Outer Senshi appear, I'm curious to see them too~

Quote by AlenasI am still trying to get used to the change in art (longer faces and all)

What, you aren't used to the reboot "Pretty Guardian Sailor Legs Crystal"?
Mamoru looks like Lelouch with smaller eyes. Dat long face. Every time I see him I think the show's been done by CLAMP.

Quote by Blue-CrescentOh, and Mars is indeed a beauty. That's also a part I can't understand about the classic. Rei is depicted as a miko so somehow she should be a little more patient but she's hot-headed on the classic one.

On one hand, I kinda liked seeing her a bit silly, though it was a bit jarring that only Ami was serious out of the Inner Senshi - from what I can remember, Minako was supposed to be the leader of the Inner Senshi and was shown to be quite serious and responsible as Sailor V, then she turned as silly as Usagi most of the time. Rei's "fiery" (har-har) temper made sense in relation to her element, I guess, but she really should have been calmer as a miko (then again, there's also that perverted grandfather she had to deal with, anyone would have a short temper with him around XD)
And thanks for the info on Makoto, I had a hunch her parents were somehow condemned to a Disney Death XD
-------------

Do you think the anime will get a second season (and probably more)? Reception seems to be overall favorable, from what I've seen. Doubt they'll have time to introduce the Inner Senshi, but maybe we'll get to see Chibiusa and Helios this season. They're moving so fast compared to the classic version - though that one had a ton of filler -, IIRC it wasn't until episode 26 that Sailor Jupiter was introduced.

LuluOokami

LuluOokami

Sir Lulu

What I have seen of the new series it looks interesting and might be as good as the first series was. And to the subject of Sailor Jupiter all I am going to say is this. In the first series we all fell in love with her and in the new series she is just as beautiful. And the transformations looks cooler in the new series and the girls seem to be tougher and much cooler and more I think on it I think I may end up liking the new series more.

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution"

Technically the Crystal version IS the classic version as it's pretty much a completely faithful adaptation to the manga in every way, lol.

Anyway, I do prefer the Crystal versions overall and, like others, Makoto is definitely one of my favorites. (At the very least, among the Inner Senshi.) Otherwise, I'm hoping to see the Outer Senshi as well.

pandemonium91

pandemonium91

Quote by HalfDemonInuyashaTechnically the Crystal version IS the classic version as it's pretty much a completely faithful adaptation to the manga in every way, lol.

Anyway, I do prefer the Crystal versions overall and, like others, Makoto is definitely one of my favorites. (At the very least, among the Inner Senshi.) Otherwise, I'm hoping to see the Outer Senshi as well.

Technically yes, but for clarity's sake I referred to the '90s anime as the "classical" (i.e. "old") version XP

It's going to be interesting to see what they do next, after the Serenity/Endymion/Metallia moments that are also in the classic anime. I've been reading around and apparently

Spoiler (show)

the Shitennou are killed off VERY early into the manga. Meanwhile, all of them are still alive in Crystal.

I wonder if they're going to get to Chibiusa or pad out the remainder of the series with filler. If they're going to go at the same pace, we might as well see the Chibiusa/Dark Moon arc as well. The pacing is insanely fast compared to the classic version, which took its sweet time helping us get to know the characters; I can't help feeling that the only thing that holds the senshi together right now is their common mission. In the classic series we also got to see them go out together, do homework together, hang out at Rei's place etc. so they also seemed like genuine friends, not only people "working" together.

Anyone know how well/badly received SMC was? If it's well-received, it might get more seasons!

Minako is so much more serious than her classic counterpart, too! And Rei is more emotional too (well, at least she isn't angry all the time).
Apparently, MT is all Team Makoto (which I don't mind one bit~)

Quote by pandemonium91Anyone know how well/badly received SMC was? If it's well-received, it might get more seasons!

Minako is so much more serious than her classic counterpart, too! And Rei is more emotional too (well, at least she isn't angry all the time).
Apparently, MT is all Team Makoto (which I don't mind one bit~)

From what I've seen, it seems pretty split.

Ones who have been with SM since the manga and know the story like it while those who were introduced via the first anime are "crap" (largely to things like animation and all XP) to "okay".

Hakaru

Moderator, Tagger, Scanner

Hakaru

一緒に行こう

1 episode every 2 weeks, the pace is too slow for a 26 episodes anime (13 Blu-rays/DVDs).

Mamoru should have a deeper voice.
Not much character development for Ami, Rei, Makoto and Minako in Crystal.

Classic Rei doesn't get along with Usagi, but Crystal Rei warms up to Usagi.

the 3d transformations looks like of odd.
besides Sailor Moon, the other transformations are too short.

Quote by pandemonium91Mamoru looks like Lelouch with smaller eyes. Dat long face. Every time I see him I think the show's been done by CLAMP.

That's because Yukie Sakou was one of the animators working on Hangyaku no Lelouch.

Don't assume your dreams are just fantasy.
If you can imagine a world, believe in it...and dive in.
Signature Image

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.