Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 So Naruto is over now - Thoughts? (spoilers) - Minitokyo

So Naruto is over now - Thoughts? (spoilers)

Tagged under Naruto

How do you feel about Naruto's ending?

Perfect!!!
3 votes
Satisfied
2 votes
Neutral
2 votes
Dissatisfied
2 votes
Horrible
0 votes
WTF is this?!?!
5 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 15 total items

So the last couple chapters of the manga have come out and the manga has ended.

Personally...I am not satisfied at all...I'm not even sad that it's over as much as relieved because the last few arcs just felt like train wrecks to me.

It feels like there's a lot left unanswered (what happened to Orochimaru and the rest of Team Taka? What's the story behind Hamura, Hagaromo's brother, who helped him seal Kaguya? What world did the Ootsutsuki Clan come from and why were they seeking the Shinju Tree? And so on...) and Naruto and Hinata, and Sakura and Sasuke, being together just made no sense to me due to the sheer LACK of any real interaction and/or romantic development between the respective pairings. It feels like Kishimoto just sold out and put them together just to please the larger fanbases and not based on how the story was previously developed. (And Chouji and Karui? Seriously? Where the heck did THAT come from?)

I'm probably not even going to see the Naruto: The Last movie because of this either.

I don't blame you, dude, I feel the same way.

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

I admit I've been reading Naruto mostly for the lulz lately (and skipping like....200+ chapters in between like whoa >_>) but the last few chapters felt incredibly rushed and left a lot of loose ends. And Sasuke suddenly having a change of heart and being pardoned like that in one single chapter left me spluttering in disbelief. Ah, well, at least it's over. Kinda. Apparently, there will be some short stories revolving around their kids in spring next year. And at least all those stupid shipping wars will be over now that Naruto is officially with Hinata and Sakura with Sasuke (which was done oh my god so poorly, too. Kishimoto should lay off the romance in his stories, he sucks at writing it). Chouji and Karui made me laugh so hard, though. I mean, I know a lot can happen in 5-10-ish years but dude....where did that come from? It's like they all had to end up with kids in order for the next gen of Ino-Shika-Chou to function properly. *sigh*

Most fans' hopes are in the last movie now, at least regarding some unanswered questions and how on earth some people ended up together, lol.

Signature

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Bittersweet end.... Like Everyone else so far, I too felt it was rushed and left a lot of loose ends....

That last chapter felt like fan fiction to me.... While I did like how some of the pairings ended up, they kind of came out of nowhere.

Also, "Salad", really? I'm really hoping that's translation error!.

Signature Image

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Quote by fireflywishesBittersweet end.... Like Everyone else so far, I too felt it was rushed and left a lot of loose ends....

That last chapter felt like fan fiction to me.... While I did like how some of the pairings ended up, they kind of came out of nowhere.

Also, "Salad", really? I'm really hoping that's translation error!.

Haha, I see a lot of people saying that - how it all turned out like a very poorly written, cheesy fanfic. And yeah, I simply can't call Naruto and Hinata's kid 'Bolt'. When I first saw it, the first image that came to my mind was that animated movie about a dog of the same name (nothing against the movie, it was fun). I mean, I get the ref - after having a 'Flash' and a 'Maelstrom', Konoha apparently had to get a '(Thunder)Bolt' now, too but I'll refer to him as Boruto. And Sarada. Definitely Sarada. I refuse to call her Salad. >_>

Signature

fitarol15

fitarol15

*Karin-Koenig <3

It wasn't That BAD But it wasn't Perfect nor satisfied it was rushed and a lot of missing parts in it the pairings at the end weren't good (lack of chemistry) specially naruto\hinata i was expecting something better like naruto\sakura but it was all ruined at the end and yeah the epilogue seemed like a FanFic it was weird and it wasn't what i expected from this series..so it was disappointing

"Ducunt Volentem Fata Nolentem Trahunt = Fate leads the willing soul, but drags along the unwilling one"
Signature

I read an interesting blog that looks a lot less at the pairings (one of the big gripes) and just basically how things look as a whole. It's a bit long...

“Alright, I’ve waited long enough. I’ve gotten enough asks asking me about what I think about things, so let’s get this started. It’ll be under a read more, because this is going to get long.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not saying all of Naruto is bad, or that all of it has been invalidated, or that things that were good are no longer good. Nor am I saying that Kishimoto cannot write, that he should not have written the series, or anything of the sort. I have no personal hatred against him as a person, and such feelings are irrelevant in this discussion.

I personally feel, that when you produce something and ask money for it, that you are open to criticism. This is not a critique of him as a person; that’s irrelevant. I will focus only on the work that has been produced, and I will explain exactly why I do not like it, and what parts I do like.

Also, I will not go into ships, because they don’t mean anything to me personally, except when I talk about a specific topic, and that won’t be a bash or endorsement of any one ship.

Now, let’s get into this.

I’ll start with 699, because there is a lot to praise in this. Had this been it, I probably would have been happy. I think there are issues with it, but I will give credit where credit is due, and I want to start on a positive note.

The biggest success with 699 is the question of Sasuke; he’s been a major problem writing wise, because it often seemed like the writer had no idea what he was or what to do with him. Was he a hero? A villain? An antagonist? A protagonist? What was Sasuke?

Then the question of what to do with him after the war came up. It seemed really hard to try and find a way to do anything with him besides kill him or throw him in jail.

And in this, I am willing to praise Kishimoto for taking the third door; having Sasuke basically be exiled and told that if he does anything wrong that its back to being a villain is a good move. It basically puts him in the role of Batman at the end of the Dark Knight; he’s basically disappearing from view, while still remaining an enemy and he isn’t being given safe haven from those who still want him dead. And that is a good way to handle it. It neither redeems him nor damns him. It keeps him in limbo, ensuring he can keep being used later on for more sequels.

A lot of things were shown, such as Atsui and Samui being removed from the jar, showing Tenten’s prowess with weaponry, and keeping Darui’s promise. The little things liek that, made the chapter feel like everything was working out. This was the moment of triumph; and I felt satisfied with it.

But we have to get into the negative, and there was a bit. First, Sakura. Now, as I said I don’t care about who she’s shipped with. I don’t. Who bangs who is not something I’ve ever cared about. It’s more troubling to see that she is reduced to a crying, demure girl in front of Sasuke, when she’s a warrior and arguably the strongest kunoichi in existence. For all the work put into Sakura over the course of Shippuden to make her not seem like she was at the end of the original series, this seems to be a major backpedaling. Why portray the woman who has no qualms about being a tough warrior as suddenly being unable to be anything but the child she was when she was first introduced? This has nothing to do with whether or not you like or hate her; from a writing perspective its inconsistent with what she was written to be.

And really, that was perhaps the largest gripe with 699. There were other small things, like Yamato and Sai not being considered part of team 7, but I can understand the moment of the original three being back together again.

Now, lets get on to 700, which may as well be the elephant in the room.

But let’s start with the positives, which are few and far between. First, I like the tribute between the first and last pages. That’s a nice touch. I like that Gai and Kakashi had a moment. I liked seeing Lee being Lee, and that he hasn’t given up on his beliefs.

Now let’s get onto the bad stuff.

First, many people are upset with the fact that everything was neatly wrapped up, with little to no consideration to the fact that they just went through war and had a great deal of emotional trauma to deal with.

Second, they skipped twenty years ahead it seems, and paired everyone off, seemingly at random.

Third, all of the character development towards the pairings, approving of them or not, seems to have been thrown out the window entirely. consider for a moment that Hinata, whose entire arc throughout the series was to become more confident and sure of herself, is now put into the role of being a housewife. I will not comment on what kind of one she’d be, only that it seems odd that her arc was to be brave, only to then put her into a position of her not having to be.

The problem with the pairings is that it seems like we missed something. Which we did. Granted, I believe that any pairing can work out given the correct development. I believe that all ships are equally valid. But what has happened is that we went from before any of them were even considering dating because they were in a war to twenty years later when they’re suddenly paired off and had kids.

Consider that Ino’s development, being that her father just died and her also working in Torture and Interrogation, has completely been scrapped. Sakura’s training as the greatest medical shinobi to succeed Tsunade is entirely disregarded in order to make her a housewife. Tenten has given up her dream to be a legendary kunoichi to open a shop and do nothing. Temari has seemingly become bitter and emotionally cold, probably because she’s now also a housewife. Anko is now obese and jovial, despite the whole traumatic life that she’s lived as a science experiment, because fat people are funny right?

And it’s not just the women who have lost any and all character development. Choji has, from his appearance, given up being a shinobi, totally undoing all the lessons he learned from his father about what it means to be the head of his clan. Shino has, for some reason, taken over Iruka’s job despite the fact that everything we’ve seen of him would indicate he was poised to take up the mantle of his own father. Kakashi apparently just sort of did nothing and then retired. The former Kage have done nothing it seems, and the current Kage don’t have a point for meeting.

I’ll cover Naruto and Sasuke on their own in a moment, because right now I want to get into the idea of shinobi. At the beginning of the series, shinobi were portrayed as being those who did jobs for hire. Essentially, they were mercenaries. Every major country had a village that acted a the place to hire them, and these villages were also hubs of commerce and culture. Later, we found out that villages were founded when clans came together after the “warring states’ period. This in turn turned shinobi from mercenary families to political entities.

However, at the end of the war, no one is doing anything remotely shinobi-like. Which seems to indicate that after the war, shinobi no longer kill people or take jobs. Which raises the question of why you need a Kage, why you need shinobi, why you have an academy, and why any of this matters at all.

If we consider that the goal of our protagonist, Naruto, was to become Hokage, then we must ask what it means to be Hokage. We must ask what that means to him. In the beginning, it was to be recognized by the people who hated and shunned him. This changed later to be him wanting to protect his village.

But if there are no threats, if there is no need for any kage or shinobi, then becoming Hokage is pointless. It becomes an empty office devoid of meaning or payoff. Even if you wanted him to become Hokage, the entire thing feels empty. If we all agree that at the end of the war Naruto was not ready to become Kage, and he wasn’t in terms of emotional maturity or age, then him basically having the seat waiting for him reduces Kakashi to that of a placeholder; a lame duck kage for a now pointless position.

But lets get into the two big issues, which are Naruto and Sasuke. Consider that, the entire series continually pointed out how they both suffered and we alone, and came to two different conclusions. Naruto became the extrovert, causing problems to be acknowledged by people who ignored him. Sasuke became the introvert, taking that loneliness and turning it into hatred.

So we have two people, both who suffered from lack of parents, both who suffered from lack of affection and care, now both being neglectful parents themselves. Yes, there is the statistic that children who are abused by their parents are then more likely to do that to their own children, but this isn’t the case here. This is a situation where Sasuke is more focused on wandering around aimlessly, and Naruto is more interested in his job than to pay attention to his own child.

And really, the questions and issues are different for both of them. Most people, even if you like Sasuke, could see him being a bad father. He wasn’t a great person, so being a bad father is not exactly out of the question given that he has always been self interested as a character. The question for him is when did he have the time to have a child with Sakura as an outcast and wanderer?

Naruto is a bigger issue. He has essentially abandoned his child’s needs in favor of his own job and happiness; he tells his child not to do things because they’ll make him look bad. One would ask why his child is acting out, and this may be a case where the writer is attempting to say that the kid is like the father, but that would be forgetting that the kid was the way he was because he was abandoned and ostracized. Which means that if the kid is acting that way, then Naruto is seriously neglecting his parenting duties, and it also means that he essentially dumped the children on Hinata the way Sasuke dumped his spawn onto Sakura, because clearly all women are good for is raising kids in this world where women are known for being killer shinobi and all around badasses.

And that makes me question the point of the series. What is its message?

It seemed to be that Naruto, as a character, was the force of change. He was a break with the past. He was going to mark the end of the old era of past grievances and found a new era.

But it seems like the new era he’s a part of is one where children are dumped onto their mothers, where shinobi cease to mean anything, where Naruto is no better to his son than the village was to him, where Sasuke has not learned anything, where the new era feels worse than the old one.

And I think that’s really the problem here. This feels empty. It feels unsatisfactory. It feels like it was a cheap way out.

And the reason it feels this way, the reason it feels empty, is because this “happily ever after” ending feels like a dystopian nightmare rather than a fairy tale. This isn’t a happy ending. This is an ending where, even if your ships became canon, it feels wrong. All the reasons you might have shipped NaruHina or SasuSaku were tossed out, and what you were given was a universe where the reasons you were told it shouldn’t happen occurred. And if you don’t ship these things, it feels worse, because there is no joy in saying that you knew this was a bad idea.

There is no joy in this ending. There is no triumph. There are no good feelings. This entire ending is like meeting someone as an adult that you saw when they were in elementary school. They were a cute kid then, but now they’re a burnt out meth-head and all you can say is “what happened to you?”

And that’s this ending in a nutshell. It feels bereft of any enjoyment because it essentially shows that not a single character ended up happy. Not a single one of them ever managed to do anything that they wanted to as a kid. Not a single one of them grew up and achieved their dreams.

They all basically grew up, abandoned their dreams, moved to the suburbs, had kids, and were miserable for the rest of their lives.

That’s how Naruto ends. And that’s why its awful.”

fitarol15

fitarol15

*Karin-Koenig <3

well yeah you have a good point they seemed to give up on their dreams for the next generation but i guess the best part was naruto becoming a hokage

"Ducunt Volentem Fata Nolentem Trahunt = Fate leads the willing soul, but drags along the unwilling one"
Signature

Quote by fitarol15well yeah you have a good point they seemed to give up on their dreams for the next generation but i guess the best part was naruto becoming a hokage

I dunno...in general, it's nice because it's what Naruto always wanted, but the way it's shown just feels so lackluster. There's no feeling of accomplishment or success by being one nor does Naruto seem particularly happy. Not to mention that being Hokage now (or any Kage) feels almost pointless because there's no real need for the position in order to "protect (his) precious people", especially given the old shinobi system has, presumably, been eliminated.

fitarol15

fitarol15

*Karin-Koenig <3

Quote by HalfDemonInuyasha

Quote by fitarol15well yeah you have a good point they seemed to give up on their dreams for the next generation but i guess the best part was naruto becoming a hokage

I dunno...in general, it's nice because it's what Naruto always wanted, but the way it's shown just feels so lackluster. There's no feeling of accomplishment or success by being one nor does Naruto seem particularly happy. Not to mention that being Hokage now (or any Kage) feels almost pointless because there's no real need for the position in order to "protect (his) precious people", especially given the old shinobi system has, presumably, been eliminated.

i'm just wondering...did the creator really wanted the ending bad or he thought the ending is good in his own mind?
I Heard the movie came out yesterday and perhaps it will be better

Signature

Quote by fitarol15i'm just wondering...did the creator really wanted the ending bad or he thought the ending is good in his own mind?
I Heard the movie came out yesterday and perhaps it will be better

Interviews have him SAYING it was planned out, but within a week of two different interviews, Kishimoto completely contradicts himself. The first interview has him saying that the Naru/Hina pairing was planned out merely 3 months before the ending, but then the next week, another interview has him saying it was planned since the beginning. That has me thinking that either he's being forced to read some script by Studio Pierrot (who are on record as admitting to having a bias for Hinata and against Sakura), which is what I hope is the case as it means he really didn't want things to be this way, or he's desperately trying to save face because of how messed up the ending is (lots of backlash from all walks of the fandom) and is tripping over himself doing so which, of course, would make him look like a sellout scumbag who's killing much of the future of his career.

And from what I've been seeing on blogs and forums, the movie, coupled with interviews with Kishimoto, has caused a lot of anger among the entire Naruto fanbase (not JUST Naru/Saku fans, but neutral fans looking at the story and development, and even more logical Naru/Hina and Sasu/Saku fans) everywhere because the movie forcibly retcons a bunch of manga events in order to force through Naru/Hina while simultaneously destroying their characters in the process like, for example, Naruto goes from being the character we knew in the manga, to...well...NOT being that character anymore. The only one who seems to actually gain anything in the end is Hinata (gets Naruto, and is suddenly made to just be as haxingly important, if not MORE important than Naruto and Sasuke ever were in the manga), which is why it's been taken to being called "Hinata: The Last", and not in a good way. And when asked about it, Kishimoto pretty much insults the entire fanbase by saying they "misread" everything in the manga when believing that Naruto and Sakura were going to end up together, and not Naruto and Hinata.

The only ones actually claiming to be happy about the manga ending and the movie are the more diehard Naru/Hina fans who are evidently happy no matter how mangled the rest of the story gets just as long as their get their favored pairing. (Yet they claim it's everyone else who is only looking at pairings and that they're "salty", "butthurt", "desperate", etc.)

A lot of the initial sales ($12 million USD the first night) were from pre-sale tickets and a lot of those people were actually fans of Sasuke and Kakashi who had hoped to see them in action, only to feel tricked because they hardly appear at all, much less do anything significant, and the theaters showing the movie conveniently instituted a no refund policy as soon as commercial marketing for the movie began, so many of those people are calling fraud.

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

No matter how Naruto ended, some of the fandom would be upset. You just can't really please everyone with how Naruto went. While another chapter or two to wrap things up might have been nice, the only things that really irked me were: "Bolt", Bee looking too old, and the city in the background of the village. Naruto's son could have had a better name and didn't have to be an exact copy of his younger self (in terms of attitude and actions).

It was nice to see Asuma's kid in there. : ) Really felt like he left the series too early.

Quote by CirruNo matter how Naruto ended, some of the fandom would be upset. You just can't really please everyone with how Naruto went. While another chapter or two to wrap things up might have been nice, the only things that really irked me were: "Bolt", Bee looking too old, and the city in the background of the village. Naruto's son could have had a better name and didn't have to be an exact copy of his younger self (in terms of attitude and actions).

It was nice to see Asuma's kid in there. : ) Really felt like he left the series too early.

"Bolt" was actually from "Neji", which does mean "Bolt" in Japanese, IIRC....yeah....Neji was killed for nothing than forced pairing fodder...

Apparently The Last has been bombing quickly and fan backlash in Japan has been swift and brutal. And that's from all walks of the fandom, not just Naru/Saku supporters. Fans of Sasuke and Kakashi individually, more logical Naru/Hina and Sasu/Saku fans, and those of "Naruto" as a whole, and a bunch of those fans don't hate it because of pairings, but because of how it retcons so much of the manga we had grown up reading without a care in the world all BECAUSE of making it about nothing more than pairings.

One of the biggest and stupid retcons I've heard happens is Naruto apparently making Kage Bunshin / Shadow Clones when he was a kid...from before the manga actually started...yeah...he's making Kage Bunshin BEFORE he actually learned how to make Kage Bunshin in the manga (and never explained how)...

Cirru

Cirru

Interstellar Force

Quote by HalfDemonInuyasha

Quote by CirruNo matter how Naruto ended, some of the fandom would be upset. You just can't really please everyone with how Naruto went. While another chapter or two to wrap things up might have been nice, the only things that really irked me were: "Bolt", Bee looking too old, and the city in the background of the village. Naruto's son could have had a better name and didn't have to be an exact copy of his younger self (in terms of attitude and actions).

"Bolt" was actually from "Neji", which does mean "Bolt" in Japanese, IIRC....yeah....Neji was killed for nothing than forced pairing fodder...

Apparently The Last has been bombing quickly and fan backlash in Japan has been swift and brutal. And that's from all walks of the fandom, not just Naru/Saku supporters. Fans of Sasuke and Kakashi individually, more logical Naru/Hina and Sasu/Saku fans, and those of "Naruto" as a whole, and a bunch of those fans don't hate it because of pairings, but because of how it retcons so much of the manga we had grown up reading without a care in the world all BECAUSE of making it about nothing more than pairings.

One of the biggest and stupid retcons I've heard happens is Naruto apparently making Kage Bunshin / Shadow Clones when he was a kid...from before the manga actually started...yeah...he's making Kage Bunshin BEFORE he actually learned how to make Kage Bunshin in the manga (and never explained how)...

This is why I tend to stick with manga over anime most of the time (with manga adaptations). I just don't get upset because I don't invest in how things are changed in the anime series and movies. Watching the series and movies can be nice to see how things are different or how moves look in motion (etc.). However, if you don't like them, you can just leave them and stick with the print version.

Considering the level of the battles that happened towards the end, it is actually surprising that more main and side characters didn't die. While I liked Neji (and wouldn't have wanted him to go - think he had more development in his character), others had so many 2nd chances it wasn't believable (i.e. Kakashi, 5 Kages, Tamari, Shikimaru, Choji, etc.).

ladynmag

ladynmag

EreKuri ღ

what makes me sick is that the creator worked so hard in the series and the characters but now he destroyed the story + characters with his own hands.
people saying it was perfect that naruto became hokage, honestly it's not well-written while it's true that's what he always wanted but Kakashi was better for the role, not to mention that the shonen series turned into lame romance and what the hell is wrong with those married couples i mean all of them got married o_O? i don't want to talk about Sasuke as a character all i have to say is that he is one of the worst characters i've ever seen, it's clear that he did this for money
this is probably the worst ending alongside bleach

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.