Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Chivalry Dead? - Minitokyo

Chivalry Dead?

page 1 of 1 18 total items

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Def: the combination of qualities expected of an ideal knight, especially courage, honor, courtesy, justice, and a readiness to help the weak

In relationships, most often used to refer to the collective term for pulling out chairs for ladies, opening doors, etc.
-----
Is there still a need/desire/wish for chivalry in today's society? With women fighting for equality, some argue that women cannot have it both ways. Chivalry itself is a dated concept that has no place in modern society.

Others believe that chivalry and romance are intertwined, and are willing to continue with the status quo. They may not see the unequal treatment of women as necessarily a bad thing.

What do YOU think? Is chivalry alive, dead, dying, or in need of resuscitation?

Signature Image

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

It's a good question.

Especially in this current age of feminism. I know some ladies who take offense to such actions, as they deem it as a man looking down upon them or treating them lower, while some revel in the good nature behind the gesture.

Being of the male gender, I certainly try to practice chivalry as best I can. Despite being rather imperfect. However, more importantly I think it's being able to respect the wishes of the lady. Does she appreciate gestures like that, or does she take offense to them? Looking into an aspect like that, I certainly would think charily, in aspects, is on the decline.

However, it's very nice to see it still in play when I can catch it while I'm out. Though, I'm a sucker for things that are romantic like that.

Signature Image

Valuna

Retired Moderator

Valuna

Naughty Artist

For the women who take femenism to the extreme, they need to take things like a man aswell. Although, there are still women who are Lady-like enough and keep their distance as far as extreme femenism goes.

What these femenistic women do not know, do not realize and do want, example:
A woman may hit a guy, a guy may not hit a woman whilst they are equal. Fair? Nope. Femenism taking to it's extreme puts women on top of literally everything, ruining the balance the femenists in history once worked hard for.

I honestly like a gentleman as a woman myself. It is nice to lay back every now and then and just be a spoiled person. Let a man be a man and let a woman be a woman and let "nature" do a bit of a play and just respect one another and not just one.

Despite the fact what Cy said about some women being insulted, men do get insulted aswell and it is kind of mean to take away all that makes them a guy. That's why you need to sometimes degrade things to keep the purity on both parties.

Personally, it is pure love to me as you can do eachother a favor for fun, for romance or something else.

These beautiful, fragile days are reborn, unfaded
Signature

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I find it is dying thanks to modern (frightening) feminism. I'm more of the traditional feminst and know what a real war on women actually is. it's a shame that chivalry is dying, I rather like it myself. I have nothing wrong with men being gentlemen, and women acting like ladies. I have never had a problem with gentlemen pulling out chairs, opening doors, etc. to be honest, if women want to act the way they do and not want chivalry then that's their problem, but some people still enjoy such a thing. in some cultures it's alive and kicking, but as long as people come about and act and behave like modern day women are, I find it's not going to go well. besides, I find it to be also linked with respect.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

Redwyn

Redwyn

#SJW apparently

I'm trying so hard not to be angry at the comments for the gross misconception about feminism. I'm honestly not the most articulate at explaining things but I'll try my best.

We DO NOT hate men. Misandrist do. Feminist who are misandrist exist. It's wrong but I understand and I don't blame them.
We DO NOT think that we are better than men.
We DO NOT want to be on top. We want to be on equal ground. Women are given the same workload as men and yet paid less. Men and women should have the same punishment for committing the same crime.
We are NOT frightening. @angel I think you're mistaken being feminine with feminism the movement.
MALE feminist exist. This guy for example.

Quote by wikipediaFeminism is a collection of movements and ideologies which share a common stated aim: to define, establish, and defend equal political, economic, cultural, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist generally self-defines as advocating for or supporting the rights and equality of women.

If a man opens the door for me it's nice of him to do that. Feminism is when I want to be able to hold open the door for another person be it a man or woman because it's polite and not be stared at for doing so because it's something that only men do.

If you happen to be a woman and enjoy doing housework then kudos for you because it's something that YOU want and not something society deems is appropriate for someone of your gender should do.

If a woman opens a door for you do you call that chivalry?

#likethat'sabadthinglol

That's the way i am, no matter how everyone else react.

windyroller

windyroller

Certified Chocoholic

To elaborate on Redwyn's comment: A woman holding open a door for you is common courtesy. Now, if a guy then held the door for her so that she can pass through, I would call that chivalry because he's gone an extra step on her behalf. The woman might thank him for the extra effort he's gone through and continue on her way.

(That said, I think it bad form if the man outright refuses to pass through if the woman insists on holding the door for him. Part of being courteous is knowing when to stand on ceremony and when to let things go.)

I think chivalry has its place. This particular topic only touches on one aspect of chivalry. You can't be truly "chivalrous" unless you embrace the FULL ideals of the codes. In more modern terms, these could be duty to your country, duty to your religion/beliefs, and duty to those around you. So, instead of completely abandoning the codes, perhaps chivalry just needs some adjusting. Let men have a code/guideline if they want it; it can be a benefit to both genders if done right.

Smile; it makes people wonder what you're up to.

greeno

greeno

I'm too SHINY!

Quote: A woman may hit a guy, a guy may not hit a woman whilst they are equal. Fair? Nope. Femenism taking to it's extreme puts women on top of literally everything, ruining the balance the femenists in history once worked hard for.

An example of some of the most ignorant and stupid argument I had ever seen.

What the hell makes you think abusing anyone of whatever race, gender, religion, etc is ok in the first place? The fuq is that logic

Saying that feminism wants to put women on top of everything means that you agree that men currently dominates everything. Feminism is trying to put women on equal ground with men. Women are paid less for the equal amount of work, how is that fair?

With the decline of religious values as well as fall of romanticism, I feel chivalry is, quite reasonably, losing its distinguishing characteristics and is merging into general notion of niceness.

Here's a Google graph I found which may or may not be reliable but fits my narrative so well by starting with the declining right at the age of enlightenment that I felt sharing it to be worthwhile-
Google books chivalry
(Notice the spike in 1820 attempted by romanticism)

Why die only once when you can die a little everyday

*coughs*
Conservative men are all misogynists. In contrast Liberal men are generally more sensitive and more likely able to handle the concept of equality than traditionalists.

Misogynistic altogether? You could say patriarchal. I think a conservative guy is more likely to be chivalrous

Yeah right...once a wise conservative guy said: "grab em by the .....hand."

Well you must differentiate what a person who identifies himself as conservative from an essentially conservative person. The former may also subscribe to other, even conflicting mindsets. The fair thing to say would be, conservatism offers less resistance to such mindsets as compared to liberalism.
I doubt a conservative from the 30s would have ever said such a thing. So I hardly think that the ideology clashes with chivalry

The only difference is straightforwardness..Old times were heavily censored, the guy from the 30's and the other one from the 2010's are sharing nevertheless the same ideology which believes that the woman is naturally inferior to man and thus unlikely to be truly respected.

Fair point. But what it is, do you think, that makes conservatism as an ideology (which in itself isn't misogynistic) a safe haven for misogynistic people?
Tolerating views is a very American ideal, if that allows for harmful views too breed, it'll be necessary to judge the benefits and drawbacks of such tolerance

Well, conservatism relies essentially on religious concepts.. All religions without almost any exception.But not only that, consevative ideology is also based on social Darwinism which means only the strongest or fortunate deserves to be respected, it lacks that notion of fairness and understanding like giving a chance to unfortunate members of a society which is typically Progressive.

^ my reply is off topic so I've posted it on your GB.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

please keep in mind, that for any political party they are different. also, glad it went gb, it did go off topic some time back. I'm not going to jump into this regarding false/fake knowledge on any political party, these belong in gb or pm, but I find it sad how people will get so aggressive when it comes to the "innocent" ones. one should never involve the children when it comes to something, or get angry because things didn't go well. destroying something or refusing to buy something, this is showing that chivalry could be dying. when people don't get their way, I feel they lose all sorts of things, kindness, chivalry, understanding, compassion... it's like none of that exists when people don't all see the same way. sort of sad that society can fall so quickly over one event in history, a misunderstanding or a simple logic that another does not like. perhaps, someday, people can look past all this petty nonsense, but, until then, we'll still continue to fall and lose every good emotion or good thing left.

BuBbLeS!

Signature

page 1 of 1 18 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.